Fourth Stop A Promise Is A Promise

Pi Li MIT III

The warm sun. The swings. Sitting on the seesaw. “Are you done yet? I want to see the pictures!” Xiao Xing looks up and reaches out her arms, trying to grab the camera. Jaden laughs and dodges her grasps. “I’m not done yet!” She gets up from the seesaw and chases him. He smiles and runs toward the swings. She follows him. But then, she trips and falls. “Ow!” she groans. Her hands are bleeding. Jaden hurries over to her and kneels down. He quickly takes her hands and said “You’re such a clumsy girl!” He takes out a handkerchief from his pocket and starts to wipe away the blood. She smiles happily. He looks at her and said, confused “Hey. You just fell and got hurt. Why are you smiling so happily?” She answers “Because I have you by my side. No matter how clumsy I am, even if I fall everyday, as long as I have you to help me clean my cuts, I will always feel happy.” He squeezes her cheeks. After her hands stop bleeding, they sat on the bench and looks through the pictures. “Why do you only take a 45 degree angle?” she asked, as he scrolls through each picture. “Because you’re the prettiest like that.” he said, smiling. She hits him lightly on the arm. “So I’m not pretty at other angles?!” He nods and quickly got up and starts to run away. She got up and ran after him. Then, she jumps onto his back. “I’m going to punish you! You have to carry me home!” She wraps her arms around him as he walks. “Xiao Xing. If we ever separate, I will use my pictures to lead you to me. We will meet at the nearest park. Okay?” But, she didn’t hear it because she had already fallen asleep.

Tian Mo Xing’s eyes shot open. It was a dream. She looks besides her and sees that 007 is still sleeping soundly. She rubs her hands over her face. Suddenly, she remembers something. The promise she had made with Jaden. If they ever separate, they will meet in the nearest park no matter where they are. She looks at the clock. It was five AM. She gets up quietly and grabs her clothes from the chair. She sneaks into the bathroom and closes the door silently; not wanting to wake anyone up. After changing, she gets ready to go out but her stomach starts to hurt. Reaching into her pocket, she takes out the pain killers she found from the kitchen last night and swallows two. Then, she opens the door and hurries out of the room. She tip-toed down the stairs; trying to make the least noise as possible. Finally, she reached the last step. Unfortunately, she trips and fell down. Luckily, no one heard her. She let out a breath of relief and starts crawling towards the door. She opens it and got out of the house. Running down the streets, she tries to look for the nearest park. Looking around, the streets were empty so she couldn’t ask anyone for directions. After several turns and corners, she finds herself lost. She fell on her knees in defeat. “Jaden! Where are you? If you’re here, please guide me to you. I really want to see you!”

“Miss? Do you need help?” A kind looking man comes out from a deli shop. He smiles at her. Tian Mo Xing gets up and asked “Do you know where the nearest park is?” He nods and said “Just walk straight three more blocks, make a left, walk about five minutes and you’d see a park.” She hugs him and said “Thanks!” Then she hurries away. Following the directions, she finally arrives at a park. However, it was empty. There was no one in sight. She looks around frantically. “Jaden! Where are you? I’m here! Did you forget our promise? Jaden!” No one appears. She hits her forehead in defeat. She looks behind her and sees a swing set. Her feet automatically bring her to them. She went up to the first swing and ran her finger across the seat. She always liked the first swing while Jaden chooses the second swing. Suddenly, her fingers feel some bumps. She looks down and sees her initials carved on the seat. She looks at the second swing and sees Jaden’s initials on them. She quickly looks up and sees a figure approaching her. Her heart starts to beat fast as the person gets closer and closer to her. He stops midway and pulls off his cap. Every nerve in her body tightened. “Jaden…You remembered…”

“Xiao Xing. You finally remembered me. I thought you forgot about me already.” She could hear sorrow and hollowness in his voice. She takes a step towards him but he steps back. She looks at him, pleading him to stay. She takes another step. “Jaden. I heard you died a year ago. What happened?” He laughs bitterly. “Why do you care so much about me? I thought you hate me. I thought you said you won’t ever forgive me. I see you found someone to replace me already.” Tian Mo Xing’s heart starts to ache. “Jaden…I know I was harsh back then but…eventually I got over it. You had no right to give up your dream for me. But, you’d always have a place in my heart. You’d always be important to me. Just like Se Ho was. And still is.” Jaden’s face hardens.

“Don’t compare me to Lu Se Ho! He left you for no reason. He doesn’t even deserve you to remember him. But I’m different. I left for my dream. I did promise you I would return. Why didn’t you wait for me? Why!” She could see pain and anger on his face. She shakes her head in confusion. “Why didn’t I wait? Yi Huang told me you died in a car accident a year ago. I don’t even know what happened to you. What did you expect me to do? Never love someone else? And just love you?” She felt tears forming in her eyes. “Do you know how sad I was? You told me you were leaving the day you were leaving. I wasn’t even prepared for it. One minute, I thought I still had a boyfriend and a perfect life. Another moment, I found out you’re leaving me for four years to a foreign country. How was I supposed to react? Now, you just want to pop back into my life and blame me?”

He closes his eyes and takes in deep breaths. “A year ago, my roommate and I entered a photography contest in the school. I won and had a chance to study in Italy. The night before I went to claim the award, he took the camera you gave me and threatened to break it if I accept the award. I gave up the award and the chance to study in Italy to get back the camera. Afterwards, I start to get depressed and drank every single day. I got into a car accident while drunk driving. I was in a coma for a year. Recently, I woke up and realized how much I need you in my life. Career and fame means nothing to me anymore. I went to Sheng Ying to find you but then I found out you’re coming to New York and going to get married to a person called Zhan Shi De. I didn’t believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.” Tears were forming in his eyes as well. Tian Mo Xing closes her eyes to stop the tears from rolling down. Her heart aches terribly, knowing that it was her who caused him so much pain.

She walks closer towards him. “Jaden. I’m sorry. I’m very sorry. I didn’t know so much happened to you. If I knew, I would have waited for you. I’m sorry.” She got up to him. “Jaden. Don’t wander around anymore. Come to my house and we can all take care of you. Let me repay you.” She tries to touch his hand but he grabs her wrist. He looks at her in the eyes. “I don’t need your pity. Let me tell you now. I know who is the psycho who wants to kill you and I will catch him with my own hands. Then, you will have to be with me!” She gasps and shakes her head. “No! Jaden. That person is dangerous. Don’t try to do anything stupid.” She tries to get out of his grip but he was too strong. “I’m going to show you who can really protect you.” He takes out a towel and place it over . She struggles but eventually becomes unconscious. “Xiao Xing. I will win you back.”