HIS FATHER'S PUPPET....

INTERTWINED

               THIRD WEEK OF SEPTEMBER….

              Kyuhyun arrived at his parents’ mansion after his class that day. He just came from the university where he was taking up Political Science; a course he really hated because he was not interested in anything related to politics and law. He was already in his fifth year and he might end up extending up to sixth year and more. He was not really bad in school; he just did not like his course.

                A knock interrupted his thoughts.

                “Enter”, Kyuhyun said to whoever was knocking.

                The servant opened the door and bowed before he delivered his message. “Mr. Kyuhyun, your father wishes to see you at the library.”

                “Tell him I’ll be there shortly”, Kyuhyun replied as the servant bowed and went out and closed his door.

                “Wishes...wishes…wishes”, Kyuhyun sarcastically repeated the word which had been familiar to him all his life.

                He practically lived and breathed his parents particularly his father’s wishes. His father chose everything for him ever since he was young…his friends…the brand of his clothes…his school performance…what grade should he get…what course he should take in college.

                “I’m just lucky he isn’t still choosing the air that I breathe”, he silently and bitterly remarked as he was descending the staircase of their mansion.

                He knocked at the door of the library and heard his father’s distinct voice, “Enter”, the old man said.

                “Dad”, Kyuhyun bowed politely.

                “Sit down, son”, Mr. Cho motioned one of the chairs in front of his massive table.

                “Dad, you wish to see me?” Kyuhyun asked after he settled in to a comfortable position on the chair.

                “Yes…a week ago after I came to visit Park Shinhye at Incheon, I mentioned to you about the marriage agreement that your grandfather contracted with her grandfather, right?” Mr. Cho reminded his son.

                “Yes, dad”, Kyuhyun said. “How could I forget such an ultimatum you gave me”, he told himself.

                “It’s about time that you meet each other again. It’s been years since you last saw each other. I invited them to have dinner with us tomorrow” Mr. Cho commented.

                “Dad, are you already going to cement the deal during the meeting?” Kyuhyun asked as he was trying to hide his annoyance with his father’ manipulative nature.

               “Yes…of course”, Mr. Cho firmly said.

               “What if they refused during the negotiations?” Kyuhyun was really hoping it would be the case.

                “I didn’t ask nor wish you to question me, Kyuhyun, I only ask you to follow. Do you understand me?” Mr. Cho fiercely said in a firm voice.

                “Yes, dad, I understand. Just tell me when, dad”, Kyuhyun said as he stood and bowed to his father like an automaton.

                “Kyuhyun, you’re not yet dismissed.” Mr. Cho was intently looking at Kyuhyun.

                “Eh? I’m sorry, dad.” Kyuhyun again sat.

                “You’re grades…I don’t like them one bit. Ever since you entered first year; your grades started to fail. I know that you’re an intelligent young man, son, you’ve been one of the few who took your high school for only four years instead of six and ended up at the top of your class; you even passed the college entrance with flying colors.” Mr. Cho reiterated.

                “What do you wish me to do, dad?” Kyuhyun asked knowing where his father was leading.

                “Do something about it, Kyuhyun, I wish you to excel in that course. I have great political ambition for you”, Mr. Cho replied in a tone that would never take any explanation or excuses from his son.

                “Yes, dad”, Kyuhyun answered automatically but before he escaped the presence of his father asked him.

                “Kyuhyun, I’ve heard another news about you and it involved a young woman”, Mr. Cho commented his penetrating gaze made Kyuhyun uneasy. He decided not to sit anymore…standing made him more comfortable in dealing with the new issue his father was discussing.  

                “I knew you’re going to hear it?” Kyuhyun told himself. “What sort of news, dad?” Kyuhyun tried to act nonchalant.

                “Stop pretending you don’t know what I’m talking about, brat!” Mr. Cho said trying to control his anger.

                “Ah…so you’re ‘spies’ already reported to you about her?” Kyuhyun asked knowing that sooner or later his father would find out about her.

                “Don’t play games with me, Kyuhyun. I didn’t raise you to defy me nor to destroy my political ambition!” Mr. Cho irritatingly retorted.

                “What if I’m not playing games, dad? What if I really loved her? After all we’ve been in a relationship for almost a year already”, Kyuhyun challenged his father…for ones in his life showing defiance.

                “Kyuhyun, Kyuhyun, my son, don’t make me laugh. Fall in love with her? Do you think that I don’t know you? ” Mr. Cho laughed mockingly as he looked at the son he raised in manipulation.

                “Is it that impossible, dad? She’s a great beauty after all…with the kindest of hearts…”

                “And poor as a church mouse. I know that you’re just playing games with her…trying to be with her because she is a novelty to you. Beautiful, kind, someone I didn’t choose for you…someone who loves you not for money…someone not from our world.” Mr. Cho haughtily said.

                “Please, stop being ugly, dad. She has nothing to do with you. She’s a good person so don’t you dare hurt her!” Kyuhyun said in a low voice controlling his anger from exploding.

                “Break up with her, Kyuhyun. If you really loved her, you shouldn’t have made her your girlfriend in the first place. You know that even if you wanted, a poor woman like her won’t be accepted in a family like ours.” Mr. Cho decreed an order to Kyuhyun the way a king would command his servant.

                “And if I refused?” Kyuhyun clenched and unclenched his hands.

                “If you won’t follow me, Kyuhyun, I’ll see that she and her family will suffer. Most of all, I’ll see that you suffer, too. If you ever defy me and it caused me my political ambition to fall into ruins, I’ll disown you! You’ll no longer be my son. I’ll make your life miserable. Think about not having any money to spend, not having your precious cars to drive, not having your branded clothes to wear…” Mr. Cho sarcastically said with a smile filled with mockery.

                “Those are just material things. I could always work for them!” Kyuhyun tried to defend himself from his father’s words.

                “Really…work for them? You might, Kyuhyun, if you have anyone who would hire you if I ever disowned you…or if you ever have any understanding of what the word work means. You gained your status in the society because you’re my son. You live in comfort because of me…because financially I supported you all your life!”

                “Why are you so cruel to me, dad?” Kyuhyun asked as he looked intently at his father’s cold eyes.

                “I gave you all the material things that you have, Kyuhyun. I provided you with all your needs. How can you call me cruel, son?” Mr. Cho replied accusingly.

                “Yes…” Kyuhyun nodded. “You gave them to me and expect me to pay for them ten times by means of total compliance. You raised me to follow only you and mom…you raised me not to have any opinions at all…no motivation to think for myself…decide for myself. You planted in me that I couldn’t accomplish anything on my own; thus, I grew up dependent on you”, his voice was laced with bitterness.

                “I only provided the best for you!” Mr. Cho continued to defend himself from Kyuhyun’s accusations…he knew that what his son said was the truth but he would never admit to it.

                “But you forget to provide me the things that I needed most…understanding, respect…you never loved me!” Kyuhyun answered back.

                “Kyuhyun, I don’t want to discuss your sentiments anymore. I have so many things to do at the moment. Just do as I tell you…break up with her!” Mr. Cho angrily pointed to his son.

                “Yes, dad. I’ll do as you commanded as I always did all these years. You know what, dad? You’re right I never really loved her because you and mom never taught me how to love”, Kyuhyun angrily replied in a low voice before he bowed mockingly and exited the library.

                He was breathing heavily in anger as he reached his room. Yes, he was really incapable of loving because he was never loved by his parents who manipulated him all his life. The only thing he longed for was freedom…freedom from his parents…freedom from his elite world…freedom from his rich but fake friends…freedom from himself. As he put his head on his hands…he remembered some instances in his past.

                “Kyuhyun, wear the white polo for tonight”, Mr. Cho said as he motioned for the servant to five year old Kyuhyun back upstairs to change.

                “But, dad, I want to wear this blue polo”, Kyuhyun complained as he was being gently dragged by the servant upstairs.

                “Kyuhyun, you want that toy truck we saw yesterday right?” Mr. Cho asked.

                “Yes, dad”, Kyuhyun answered as his attention was captured by the words toy truck.

                “If you want the truck follow me, okay?” Mr. Cho manipulatively said taking advantage of his son.

                “Okay”, Kyuhyun agreed as he went with the servant upstairs.

             It was only the start of his father’s manipulation…dictates where given and material things or favors were being provided to ensure Kyuhyun’s compliance.

            “Kyuhyun, you will study high school at Incheon, okay?” Mr. Cho said as the family was eating dinner. Kyuhyun just graduated from elementary.

                “But, dad, I want to study here in Seoul”, Kyuhyun said as he stopped eating and looked at his father.

                “Yes, In Su, let Kyuhyun study high school here in Seoul”, his mother said echoing Kyuhyun’s desire to stay in Seoul.

                “I didn’t ask your opinion, Soo Jin”, Mr. Cho told his wife fiercely.

                “In Su, please, I want Kyuhyun to stay here with us”, his mother begged his father.

             “No, Soo Jin, he won’t stay with us. He’ll study at Incheon. My father was a notable professor at the University of Incheon…he also taught before in a high school in Incheon I want our son to study there the way my dad sent me there”, Mr. Cho said firmly.

                “In Su…” His mother called trying to say something to convince his father to relent and let him stay at Seoul.

                “No, Soo Jin, when I say no…it’s a no. Don’t make me angry!” Mr. Cho effectively silenced his wife who already became used to his temper.

                “Please, dad, mom, I’ll go to Incheon just don’t argue, okay”, Kyuhyun agreed sadly. He knew that his mother was a voiceless figure in their house. She was also a puppet being manipulated by his father like him.

                Kyuhyun studied in Incheon during his high school. He was monitored by his father even if the man was in Seoul. Later, he discovered that his puppet of a mother was also a manipulator like his father by means of using his emotions against him.

                “Kyuhyun, son, please deliver an oratorical piece for the gathering to be held by your father for other cabinet members at home”, his mother said when he visited him in his apartment in Incheon.

                “But, mom, I wanted to perform a painting demonstration instead. I became a member of Painting and Sketching Society here in school”, Kyuhyun informed his mother as he showed his masterpieces to her which he displayed in his apartment.

                “Kyuhyun, please deliver an oratorical piece instead. Your father won’t like you indulging in arts; you knew from the start that he wants you to be involved in politics”, his mother reminded him.

                “But, mom”, Kyuhyun tried to argue.

                “Do you want me and your dad to quarrel? He might blame me if you failed to deliver what he wanted. He would accuse me of encouraging you to defy him since I’m the one who comes here often after all”, his mother said tears gathering in her beautiful eyes.

                “Please, mom, don’t cry. I’ll do it…just please don’t cry”, Kyuhyun consoled his mother and embraced her.

                A week later Kyuhyun delivered the oratorical speech his father wanted.

               Kyuhyun realized that he was already sobbing at the memories. His parents had taken over his life until he did not know himself anymore. He took up Political Science instead of Fine Arts. He learned to play the piano when he wanted the guitar. He became friends with whom they wanted.

               “Now you’re dictating whom I should marry”, Kyuhyun sadly told himself as bitter tears continuously fell. He was promised to marry Shinhye whom he hurt…whom he betrayed years ago...

            He then remembered his girlfriend whom he never really loved but only chose because to him she was his symbol of freedom…someone his parents did not choose for him. He used her selfishly to feel that somehow he was not a total push over. “I’m sorry for not loving you…for using you…for making you believe that there’s a future for us”, Kyuhyun whispered through his tears as if speaking to her.

               He also saw the image of his best friend…the only woman who came close to understanding him…the only person whom he trusted more than he trusted his parents or himself but still someone he could not love since he thought himself incapable of it.

              “I’m sorry for being a burden to you. I hope you won’t stop being my best friend”, Kyuhyun silently said as he exhaustedly fell asleep on his bed still filled with bitterness and pain despite all the tears he shed.


Dearest readers, I featured something about Kyuhyun in this chapter since he's playing as the arranged groom for Shinhye. Thank you very much for reading this humble work of mine.