hideout

Skinny Love

 

~chapter five~
hideout
____________________________________________

And I told you to be patient
And I told you to be fine

 

He growled and got up, but his legs got weak again and he almost fell. He heard her laugh, but this time, it was irritating. He didn’t want to see anybody now.

“Are you drunk or something?” she asked, going to him and standing beside him. She leaned to see his face. Smile disappeared from her lips. “Do you have a cold?” she asked with worried voice. Her tone made Kai surprised. He looked at her unconsciously.
“I don’t” he mumbled. “Why are you always where I am? Are you stalking me or something?”
“A lot of girls must have stalked you before”
“Oh, so you admit that I’m hot?” Kai asked with a smirk. And then, she suddenly put her hand on his cheek. He took a step back and escaped from her touch like he got burnt.
“What are you doing?” he asked with a warning.
“You really are hot” she said, worried.
“Wha…?”
“You have a fever. What were you doing?” she asked with anger. “Come on”
“Where?”
“Just come” she took his hand suddenly and he wanted to pull it away, but something stopped him. Her touch was soothing and warm. Usually he didn’t like anyone to touch him besides Taemin. But this time was different.

They slowly walked. Kai felt really hot, but he was trembling. His throat as aching, as well as his head.

“Where are you taking me?” he asked. They were in the city now. The girl pointed at a bar. Kai frowned.
“You want to poison me?” he asked, staring suspiciously at an old bar.
“Believe me, the food there is healthier than in all those restaurants you are visiting” she said with a sigh.
“So you really stalk me?”
“You would like that” she laughed. They got to the bar and she ordered something. Kai was sitting on a tall chair, sniffing and looking around.
“Here” the girl said, giving him a tissue. He bowed lightly out of a habit and blew his nose. After that, he threw away the tissue.

The girl was sitting and waiting for her order. He looked at her. Her eyes were puffy, like she was crying, and weren’t as lightened up as always. She had a lot of bruises at her wrists. She tried to cover it with sleeves, but it didn’t work or she didn’t know that they were visible. Kai wondered about her personality and what’s really going on in her life. And why is she still helping him out. Why is she always in the same place as him.

There were three options: one, she was obsessed with him. A lot of girl were. Two, she was doing the same thing as he did some time ago – helping him out. Three: she was a good girl and was helping everyone and the fact that they were bumping at each other all the time was a coincidence. Or luck. Or destiny.

The last time Kai helped her he did it without thinking. Because she was standing in the rain, and besides this, she was quite nice. He felt good in her company. And also, she was very mysterious to him. He wanted to discover her secret.

He felt his head spin and almost hit the counter.

“Whoa. You okay?” the girl asked. He nodded and mumbled something, but he really wasn’t feeling well. The night, winter air wasn’t helping.
“Here’s your order” an old man said, giving them two big bowls of hot broth. Kai almost immediately made a disgusted face.
“I don’t want to eat” he said to the girl.
“But it’s good” she said, taking her chopsticks and blowing at her soup.
“I’m not hungry”
“Your throat will get better. You don’t have to eat everything, but you can warm yourself up a bit. That’s a good idea, don’t you think?” she asked with a smile. “Come on, eat. Before you will completely pass out” she said and took noodles to . Kai stared at her eating and soon tasted the broth himself. It was good. His throat warmed up after the first spoon. He ate half of it really quickly and the girl was staring at him with wide eyes.

“You said that you weren’t hungry” she whispered. Kai shrugged.

After he ate the whole bowl, he felt hot. Too hot. The girl finished her own soup and asked the cook for a clean cloth or a rag. He gave it to her and she pulled Kai on the bench.

He was staring at her, when she rolled the snow into the cloth and gave it to him as a compress. He took it and put it on his forehead. She sat beside him.

“Better?” she asked.
“A bit” Kai mumbled.
“Why aren’t you home?”
“I had a fight with my friend”
“Oh” she said with an understanding and sad tone. “Are you okay?”
“Yeah. I’m the one who did bad. And right now I feel like an idiot. First I was mad at him, but then I realized that it was all my fault and I was thinking about myself only. And I’m mad at myself. I was so mad that I was running for an hour, even though I wasn’t running or exercising for two years. That’s why I got all sweaty, then I got cold because of the snow, because well, I wanted to bath in the snow. And now I’m sitting here with you, a stranger, and telling you the history of my day like a retard” he finished. The girl laughed suddenly and he glanced at her, surprised. She cleared and looked at him calmly.

“As for someone who didn’t exercised for two years, you look rather good” she said. 
“Hu-huuh” Kai mumbled.
“Everybody makes mistakes” she said. “But if you know about your mistake and want to fix it, the mistake isn’t as scary and bad as you think”
“Wow, that’s deep”
“I’m trying to help you, idiot” she said, rolling her eyes. “Do you have a place to stay?”
“What?” Kai looked at her like she was an alien.
“You heard me”

Kai laughed loudly.

“You want me to stay at your house?” he asked. The girl snorted.
“No, jackass” she scoffed. “I have a good friend, his roommate is visiting his family, so he has a free bed. So?”

Kai felt a big sympathy for her. He didn’t thought about her trying to kidnap him or something like this. He just felt a real sympathy and gratitude. Also, he was shocked and impressed of how easy it was to call him a 'jackass'. Most of the girls tried to act all delicate and, well, girly when with him. She, even though she was proposing her help, still kept her distance.

“It would be really great” he whispered. The girl smiled and her eyes got sparkly again.
“Okay, come on” she said, getting up.

“You have to help me, my legs won’t listen to me” Kai said. His head was fuzzy because of the fever. The girl took his wrist and pulled him up. He stood close to her, they were touching for a second, and then the girl took a step back and smiled. At that time, Kai could say that she was reaching his chin. And that she wasn’t very open to the people as well. But who could blame her?

Kai realized that he got used to girls being clingy with him. He even felt kind of disappointed that he didn't have any impact on her. He scolded himself again, in his head, and blamed fever for his egoistic thoughts. 

“It’s not far away from here” she said, guiding him.
“Why are you even helping me?” Kai asked. “You don’t know me”
“Oh, I know you” she said. Kai raised his brows.
“Oh, you know me?”
“Yep. You are lost and mysterious. You are very emotional and closed in your world. But even though you are like this, you are helpful and empathic”
“I would say the same thing about you.” At those words, the girl laughed.
“What’s mysterious about me?” she asked.
“You don’t want me to know your name. Some weird guys are chasing you. You have bruises on your wrists…” She bit her lip and clenched her fists a bit. “…and are always in the same places as me. That’s a bit weird”
“The last part really isn’t my doing” she said quickly.
“And you also helped me out without a reason. You are empathic as well. But a bit closed up to the people, you don’t want them to look at you or know who you are”
“It depends” she looked at the ground. “And also, just because you don't know my name doesn't mean that I'm mysterious. You don't know any name of anybody on the street before you ask them"
“Then what does being mysterious mean?"
“It means that you can’t figure a person out”
“Well, I really can’t figure you out” Kai said. At this time, they were looking each other in the eyes. The girl quicky turned though. 
“We’re here” she whispered, pointing at an old flat. They somehow climbed up to the fourth floor and stopped behind the doors with number thirty six. She knocked on them and they heard a weird clatter. After that, a curse. The doors opened, revealing a tall person with rather scary expression, thick brows and nice muscles. He frowned his brows when he looked at Kai, but smiled when he saw the girl.

“Hey, Hoya” she said quickly, before he could say anything. “This is Kai.”
“Hello” Kai bowed lightly, so his head didn’t spin.
“Hello, how are you” Hoya answered. “What are you doing here?” he asked the girl. She pointed at Kai.
“Can you do me a favor? Can he stay here for one night? I will pick him up tomorrow at morning”

Hoya frowned his brows and scanned Kai. He was too unconscious to even care for his stare. He was leaning on the wall, completely worn out.

"Is he a dog that you have to pick him up?" he scoffed. “What’s wrong with his bed?” Hoya asked. Kai really wanted to speak for himself, and answer for his stupid dog jokes, but the girl was quicker with every answer.
“He’s sick. And he got into a fight. You don’t have to know everything, you know. Just tell me if he can stay”
“Sure, why not. There’s nothing to steal anyway…” he mumbled and moved from the doors. "Come here doggy" he added with a smirk, Kai sending him a cold, murderous glare. Hoya showed him a small bedroom. It was dusty, but cozy. Kai threw himself on the bed without saying a word. Hoya raised his brows.
“He has a fever” the girl mumbled. “Sorry about that”
“Don’t worry, it’s not the first time” Hoya said, smiling to her. “I will bring some medicine and… a tea, or something. I don’t have sugar though…”
“That’s okay, thank you” the girl said and Hoya went to the kitchen. She looked at Kai and rolled him on his back, panting slightly as she did. She ped his jacket and took off his sweater, leaving him in his t-shirt. Then, she took off his shoes.
“Like a kid” she mumbled. Kai was already asleep, but she woke him up, so he could take the medicine. After that, she covered him with two blankets. She exited the room and closed the doors.

“Who’s that guy?” Hoya asked, crossing his hands and leaning on the doors, saying with his pose that she won’t exit the apartment without explanations.
“Don’t worry, he doesn’t even know my name” she said.
“How do you know?”
“He helped me out three times already, without a reason, really… He’s nice, but a bit weird. Don’t worry, Hoya"
"He helped you without a real reason. And you really think that he's trustworthy?" he asked, growling slightly. "And you always tell me not to worry, and then come here like this" he added, grabbing her right wrist, hard. She whimpered. 
“I’m fine” she barked. “It's been worse" 
“What should I say to your brother? He told me to take care of you, but you-"
“There’s nothing to take care of” she said and smiled widely, even though her heart was beating warningly, while she lied. “Don’t tell him. That was the last time something like that happens” she finished, staring at the ground and taking a shaky breath.

~*~

Kai woke up with a headache. He growled quietly when the sun’s rays hit his face and closed shut his eyes for five seconds. After that, he snapped them open and stared at the ceiling in disbelief. He slowly remembered the last night and looked around at the room he was in. A small desk with books on it, a bookshelf, window with blue curtains and a wardrobe covered with posters of the rock bands. The weather was nice and fresh snow covered the streets. Kai sat on the bed, yawning widely and glanced at the desk. There was water and cold tea standing there. He walked towards it with shaky legs and drank a lot of water. His stomach grumbled from hunger, but he made a face while thinking about any food. Only pancakes would be good for him now. With powder sugar, cherry jam, chocolate and maple syrup. And maybe some bananas. Yes, that would be great.

He opened the doors to see a dark corridor with a big wardrobe and the doors at the right. He guessed that they were bathroom’s doors. He heard some clattering noises and went to the kitchen. Hoya was standing at the stove, making scrambled eggs, shirtless. He didn’t notice Kai at first and continued to hum a song under his breath.

“Good morning” Kai said. Hoya turned his head and looked at him with a raised brow.
“Oh. Morning” he said and turned his stare to the frying pan again. Kai stood there for two seconds before getting a step closer and bowing.
“Thank you for letting me stay for a night. I didn’t ask correctly-“ he started, but Hoya raised his hand with a wooden spoon at him and closed his mouth with it. Kai felt the taste of eggs and butter on his lips and took a step back, surprised.
“Her friend is my friend and don’t worry about it. Just get your things and get out quickly, doggie” Hoya said. Kai raised his brows, a bit urge of talking back burning his stomach, but he only bowed again and withdrew to the bedroom. He became a pro at ignoring people's comments and opinions.

Weird guy, Kai thought about Hoya once he entered the bedroom, shaking his head. He picked up his jacket and socks from the chair and heard his phone buzzing. He got it out of his pocket and looked at the screen. It was Suho.

“Hello?” he asked calmly.
WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?!” the voice screamed. Kai shouted, startled, and his phone fell on the carpet, hitting it with a thud. Kai’s ear was aching inside and he really wanted to kick the phone right now. He picked it up with a quick movement.
“WHAT THE , HYUNG?!” he shouted. He heard Suho’s deep, rapid breaths and he calmed down a bit. “What is it?”
WHAT IS IT?” Suho screamed again. Kai made a face, moving the phone out of his ear. Suho took a deep breath. “Where are you right now? Where have you been? Taemin told me that you had a fight and went to Key’s, didn't say a word about you, and I was calling you all the time and you didn’t pick up! I was up the whole night and now I have to go to work!

Kai’s eyes widened and his heart softened a bit. Suho was waiting for him all this time, because he was worried. Even though Kai was already an adult. He smiled unconsciously at the phone. His happiness hid his guilt.

“I’m sorry, hyung” he said sincerely. Suho froze at the other line, surprised by his tone. “I’m okay. I stayed at friend’s for the night. I didn’t pick up because I was sleeping”
Next time you should call me first, you idiot!” Suho shouted. “Really, what am I going to do with you…” he growled. Kai chuckled.
“I will treat you a meal, hyung” he said, and literally heard Suho’s smile grew wider at the other line.
Sushi?” he asked with a tired voice.
“Sushi” Kai answered, still smiling. “I will get home in half an hour”
Okay. Have a safe trip” Suho finished. Kai clicked the red button and laughed to himself. He turned his head to see the red haired girl staring at him with frowned brows. He jumped in his place.
“Jesus!” he shouted, his cell phone once again landing on the floor. 
“Sorry” she said, her expression unchanged; as if she was deeply in thoughts. Kai waited for anything else for her to say, but only silence filled the room, so he picked up his phone and frowned. 
“Thank you for the last night. I would probably fall asleep in the park” he said. She blinked rapidly and smiled after a second.
“Don’t worry about it. How are you feeling?” she asked, straightening her back. Her old self returned.
“Good” Kai said.
“Hungry? Hoya isn’t a type of person who offers food” she said and chuckled, hiding her hands in the pockets of her dress. She was wearing a jeans one, with black belt on her waist and tights in the colour of her skin. To keep her legs warm, she was wearing black, thick, long socks reaching her knees. She wore a long, cream, knitted sweater and two pendants – one with a metal feather, second with a small digital camera. Kai wondered about it for a bit. She was mysterious, it looked like she had a lot of troubles, and still, she looked tidy and clean. Her clothes were new for sure, or at least she took  a good care of them. He chuckled, thinking about himself as about a detective.
“A bit” he answered. “But I don’t want to eat anything”
“You don’t eat a lot, do you?” she asked, crossing her arms. It was rather shy movement, not the judging one. Kai could say just by looking at her that she was a bit scared. Scared of what? He had no idea. But still, it made him even more curious about her.
“What do you want to eat then?” she asked. Kai hummed, “Pancakes”. The girl raised her brows but then smiled widely, showing her teeth.
“I know a place. I will guide you there, but then I have to work” she said and nodded. “Get ready”

Kai nodded, a bit dumbfounded. How come she knew any place with pancakes and he didn’t? And more than that, why was she still that nice and kind?

He went to the bathroom to wash himself, when the girl walked to the kitchen. She sat on the chair and watched as Hoya eat a pile of scrambled eggs.

“Have a good meal” she said and smiled. Hoya looked at her, chewing on his food.
“Why are you so kind to everyone?” he asked. “I’m getting sick of it”. She bit her lip and bowed lightly.
“Sorry oppa” she said apologetically. When Hoya was mad, it was good to use formal language. “But you know, you should be nicer to people too!”
“What will I have from that?”
“Um…” she pouted slightly. “Well, your kindness will came back to you” she answered, smiling again. Hoya was scanning her with his cold and strong stare. She was used to it, so she only smiled and blinked at him. Hoya put his fork on the table and laced his hands together.
“Don’t joke with me. I can see your state. I have known you for years” he said. Girl’s smile disappeared slowly. “How can you still smile even though something like this is happening?”
“You are saying like it’s really something soooo awful, bad and big, when it’s not” she said, shaking her head like a child. “You are overreacting. I understand this. But really, it will get better. Right now it's just... the same as it used to be”
“You are not as strong as you want to be. I already told you, if this will continue, I will have to call your brother. You worked hard to be here alone and start a new life, but I think that it’s useless without him” he stated, making girl’s heart clench. She looked at him with frowned brows and a warning eyes. Kai opened the doors of the bathroom and stopped, hearing their voices. He unconsciously put his ear on the doors. He could only hear some words, because they were whispering.
“You can’t tell him” the girl said firmly. “It will end soon. I promise”
“You said that a week ago already”
“This time, really. I will figure it out”
“And what? Do you want to work for the rest of your life to…”

Some mumbling was heard and Kai didn’t hear anything else. He cursed in his thoughts and felt guilty at the next second. He slapped his cheeks lightly. That wasn’t really nice of you, he thought and exited the kitchen.

The girl straightened at his sight and he smiled at her, like nothing happened.

“One moment” he said and went to the bedroom. She got up on the chair and passed Hoya, but he suddenly grabbed her wrist and looked at her from up.
“Be careful” he said. “You can always come here if you need any help. One more week and I will really inform him. Understood?”

She gulped.

“Understood”, she whispered.
“I’m ready” Kai said from the hallway. He bowed to Hoya. “Thank you one more time”
“Anytime” Hoya mumbled, coming back to his breakfast. The girl wore her shoes, a bit similar to Martens, and they went outside.

“He's charming” Kai said, smiling and chuckling. She elbowed him.
“He’s nice and he’s my friend, so don’t insult him or comment about his personality when you are with me” she said, making a face. “And now, hurry up. I have to work, I told you already”
“I was very sick last night!” Kai pouted. She chuckled in disbelief.
“Really, I can’t figure you out…” she mumbled and he leaned closer to hear her.
“What?” he asked.
“Nothing” she answered, smiling at him and taking a step back. “Don’t get lost, Ahjussi” she added and chuckled at Kai’s surprised face. 

____________________________________________

Yes, I'm late for four minutes... And I hoped that I will add it before the mindight xd
Anyway, here's the chapter. Nothing important is going on, but we have something new about the girl. 
I won't update tomorrow (or today... ok), but I will try at the day after tomorrow :D

Thank you so much for your comments and subscribing!