escape

Skinny Love

 

~chapter eleven~
escape

____________________________________________

And I told you to be patient
And I told you to be fine

It’s today. The day of the payment and the day of the biggest pain you will probably meet in your life.

It was the thought that Mari woke up with. When her eyes opened, only those words were playing and repeating in her head. She couldn’t take a deep breath; her lungs were shrunken. She could only think about things the men will do to her today. How painful will it be?

If she will be able to escape, they will chase her for a whole month. And by that time, she will have to pay them even more. Then, escaping again. It became tiring already, a long time ago to be exact.

After spending some painful ten minutes in her bed, she finally got up and packed all the money she could earn. Thanks to Jinki, who proposed her a job (babysitting his boss’s kids) she was able to earn a lot more. But still, it wasn’t enough for the extra payment.

Her phone started ringing. She didn’t have to look at it to know who was calling. She didn’t pick up.

She had to go through the whole day somehow.

~*~

Kai woke up and didn’t remember any dream he had this night.

He started blinking rapidly and thinking. He really didn’t remember anything at all. It freaked him out a bit, but also made him happy. No dreams. No memories.

He was actually… rested.

He was rested.

He jumped out of his bed with a sudden excitement. His head spun because of the quick movement and he hit the bedside table, growling. Then, he glanced at his phone.

It was nine o’clock in the morning.

He didn’t sleep for so long for two years.

Gold rays of the sun were beaming through the windows. Fresh snow was shining and sparkling. The sky was blue, not as grey as always. Kai frowned and smiled under his nose.

A beautiful day is coming.

He found a piece of paper on the table and recognized Suho’s handwriting. He frowned.

went to my parent’s home. I will call you in the evening. Work hard!

Suho

Kai took a deep breath. Suho went a bit earlier than he planned. Kai started wondering where’s Taemin, when he found another piece of paper, this time with his best friend’s handwriting.

“What do you mean, two days?” he mumbled under his breath, reading it. Taemin was going to spend the night at Luhan’s house because of the training. He said that Kai have to eat also, but the younger boy almost didn’t see that. It was weird without Suho or Taemin home at night. He sighed and scratched his neck, dumbfounded.

~*~

Kai exited the house and quickly went to the library. He was walking in a rather fast pace, relaxed and happy because of the weather. Snow was creaking under his legs. He made a few snowballs and threw them anywhere. He almost hit some pigeon, even though he didn’t want to. He hissed when the pigeon avoided it and flew away.

After seven minutes he passed a man in a black suit. He was staring at him with superiority. Kai frowned at him and shook his head. Lately a lot of guys like this were appearing in his life.

It all get weirder when another two men passed him, shooting him the same look. As the fourth passed him with a smirk, something clicked in his mind and he felt a bit of anxiety.

He slowed down a bit and heard steps. Someone was right behind him. When Kai’s pace slowed down, that person’s steps became slower as well. Kai stopped completely and heard silence.

He gulped. Only a few more meters and he will be in the library.

Was it possible that someone was following him?

The men that chased after Mari, maybe? He broke the nose of one of them.

He started walking again, very slowly. He couldn’t take him to the library. Kai didn’t want him to know where he’s working. And more than that, he couldn’t let him see Madame.

No, definitely not.

Without any word or another thoughts, he jumped in place and ran left, getting in the dark alley. It completely dumbfounded the man and he didn’t chase after him at first. After three seconds of staring into the alley, he ran after Kai.

The boy knew this city better than anything. He passed two doors of the building and turned left, straight into the red, rusty ones. Without stopping, he pushed them with his shoulder and they opened with a loud bang, hitting the wall behind. Kai closed them and ran to the building.

He knew it well. Three years ago there was a popular restaurant here. Something didn’t work out and it got closer. But his friend worked here and he was sitting here very often, stealing apples from time to time. He was like a pet for the cooks here.

It reminded him that he didn’t see his friend for two and half a year already.

The insides of the building were full of dust and very dark, he couldn’t see well. Boards, some old equipment, tools were standing everywhere. He ran towards the stairs but hit a big box with his leg and shouted a curse. He glanced at the doors and decided to obstruct them somehow. He managed to pull up the box and put it on the floor in front of the doors.

He glanced at the place where kitchen was some time ago and ran up by the stairs. At the same moment, a thud was heard and the doors shook. Kai cursed. A stair under his foot broke and he fell on them, scratching his knees. Someone bumped the doors again. Kai quickly got up and ran upstairs.

He saw a dark attic with only one, small window.

“Great plan, Kai” he mumbled to himself. Three years ago he would hide here, but now, completely nothing was here.

He wrote a text message to Madame, saying ‘I will be late’ and went to the window. It was closed with some weird, rusty padlock.

“That’s very intelligent, you didn’t close the doors completely but you had to put a padlock on the window” he thought with anger. A loud thud was heard. The doors fell on the ground, the box was pulled away. Some steps occurred. Kai held his breath and started looking around. There was only a small table in the corner.

“If I feel threatened, I can defend myself, right?” he mumbled and picked up the table. The man was looking for him downstairs and didn’t think about him being upstairs. Maybe he will go, Kai thought.

But then, the man entered the stairs.

Kai clenched his fingers around the leg of the table. He sneaked quietly, so he was standing in the back of the room. He saw man’s bald head and wide shoulders. He wasn’t wearing a suit though. Maybe he wasn’t one of them?

But then, the man turned his head on the left and Kai saw his wry nose. He raised his brows and his eyes widened. He pulled the table up.

At the moment when man saw Kai, the table was already flying to him. A loud bang was heard.

The table crashed. It was damp and very old, so the wood couldn’t take it.

Kai crashed the table on the man’s head and almost fell from the stairs. The man hit the floor and slid down the stairs. He stopped halfway. Kai was breathing rapidly. He quickly went downstairs, avoiding the man carefully.

He glanced at him but decided that it will be better if he will go already.

He exited the restaurant and hid his hands in the pockets of his jeans. The sun hit his eyes. Steam flew out of his mouth.

It has been a long time since anyone tried to harm him.

And also, it has been a long time since he was running away from anyone and fighting with that person as well.

As long as hitting someone with a table was called fighting.

But well, he was smaller and weaker, how could he defend himself?

He made sure no one was following him and finally got to the library, half an hour late. Madame opened her eyes widely when she saw him and ran to get hydrogen peroxide and some plasters.

~*~

“Kai!” Taemin waved at him. Kai nodded at him and ran towards him. Taemin was sitting on the table in Suho’s café together with Baekhyun, Minho and Chanyeol. When he saw Kai, his eyes widened suddenly.
“What’s with your face?” he asked, pointing at the scratch. Kai shrugged and winked at him playfully. He high fived the other guys and sat by the table.
“So? Where’s that girl Suho is thinking and talking about all the time?” he asked, looking at the counters. He saw Chen and Luhan and waved at him.
“We’re unlucky. She’s working only in the mornings” Baekhyun said and Kai’s face fell.
“Don’t worry man, we will see her for sure” Chanyeol said and patted his shoulder with a wide smile. “Now who wants some donuts?!”
“I want!” Kai said, looking straight at Luhan. The boy rolled his eyes but showed them an ‘okay’ sign.

There were so many girls in the café that Kai’s head almost exploded from their giggles, conversations and gossips. Everyone was looking at Luhan and Chen of course. Some of them noticed Kai, Taemin, Baekhyun and Chanyeol too and it became really loud in here.

“Quite loud, huh?” Baekhyun said, smiling lightly at someone. Kai heard squeals. Chanyeol laughed.
“That’s why I don’t like coming here” Kai said honesty. Taemin pouted.
“But that’s our friend’s place of working! We have to support them!” he said. Chanyeol nodded energetically.
“Hey, listen” Taemin poked Kai and they looked at each other. “I have a performance today. A big one. I really want you to come” he said. Everyone held their breaths.

Kai glanced at Taemin and was surprised of his anxious look. Of course that he wanted to see him dancing. It didn’t matter how much it costs to him.

“Sure, I will come” he said simply. Taemin beamed and everyone sighed with relief. Kai looked at them. “Do you really think that I’m that bad?” he asked them. Not hearing any answers, he scoffed. “You guys ” he mumbled and everyone laughed.
“Okay, I have to go” Chanyeol said. Baekhyun nodded.
“Me too. See you guys in the evening?” he said and smiled at them. Taemin smiled back, Kai nodded and waved. Chanyeol get his donut to eat it on his way and Kai got it after him.
“You will come, right?” Taemin asked him. Kai took a bit bite of the sweet bun and looked at him with seriousness.
“I will” he mumbled.

~*~

Mari felt her phone buzzing. She closed her eyes with painful expression.

It was the twentieth time someone called her. She was sure that it was Hoya or Jinki. Or maybe even her brother. Maybe someone else. Still, she didn’t want to talk to anybody. She didn’t want anybody’s pity or money.

It got dark already. She glanced at her watch with shaky breath. It was six o’clock in the evening. The stars were shining already. The night was beautiful, truly beautiful. If not her anxiety and fear, she would admire it from the roofs. But instead of that, she was squeezing an envelope in her bare hand. She was colder than ever.

Someone started calling her again, but she didn’t even look at her phone. After five seconds of thinking about nothing and not moving, something lit up her mind. She pulled her cell from her bag. Jinki’s number was showing. She clicked the green button and took the phone slowly.

“Jinki?” she said, inhaling in the same time.
MARI!” he shouted with anger and shaky voice. “You- Are you okay?! I couldn’t contact your for the whole day! Do you know how worried I was?!
“I’m sorry” she simply said, smiling. Jinki froze on the other line.
What’s going on?” he asked. “Do you have money?

She didn’t answer. It was the best reply for him.

Mari-ah, where are you? Tell me, now” he asked. Mari shook her head.
“Sorry, oppa. I can’t” she answered. “Don’t worry about me. I will be alright. Just go back to work”
Don’t you dare to dis-

She pressed the red button and sighed heavily. The steam from flew in the air. A petal of snow fell on her hair. She glanced at it and watched as it melted on the bloody red strand. She felt someone’s breath on her neck and froze.

“Good evening, miss” the man said, making her hold in her breath. She closed her eyes with fear. The man slowly circled her and stood in front of her, as always in a suit and a long coat. His hair were perfectly stylized. His smile perfectly curved. She heard steps and turned to the back. Two usual men were standing behind her. The bald one had a big scratch and a bruise on his head. Mari’s eyes widened when she saw it. The man scoffed.

“How was your day?” the man in suit asked.
“Just hurry up, Garn” the bald one said. Mari noted the name. Garn. Was it a nickname? She never heard his name for real. It was surprising for her.
“Be patient, Flash” Garn said, nodding at his partner. “Can’t you see that this young lady is more than nervous? You should have some manners”
“I would rather end it up quickly as well, thank you” Mari said, squeezing the envelope.

Garn eyed her carefully and sighed. He laced his fingers on his stomach.

“Very well. Can I?” he asked, pointing at the envelope. Mari handed it to him and took a step back. Garn opened the envelope and pulled out the money. When he did so, he froze and glanced at Mari. She already knew that he knew.

Even though he knew, he started counting. Slowly, painfully, like always. But this time it was different. Mari didn’t get enough money. She wasn’t late, she wasn’t running away, she was just out of the cash.

The time flew by.

Garn stopped after a few minutes. Mari heard the two other men’s giggles and scoffs. She gulped. The man in a suit looked up at her.

“That’s… not enough” he said and raised a brow. He hid the envelope with money inside of his coat and straightened his back. Mari felt fear.
“I couldn’t earn more than that” she said shakily, but she still managed to look him straight in the eyes. “You knew that I can’t earn as much as you wanted me to. But this is more than I’m giving you usually. Please, just let me go” she whispered, clenching her fists. Garn on his teeth and took a step closer. Another step, and he was right in front of her. She could feel his breath and the touch of his hair on her forehead. She took a shaky breath. Fresh snow petals started falling and setting on the man’s hair and shoulders. Everything became white all of a sudden.

Mari shivered.

“I’m sorry sweetie. You know that we don’t want to harm you, don’t you?” Garn said, smiling lightly. He patted her head suddenly, making her jump. She couldn’t breathe properly. “So, don’t worry. No harm will meet you” he said. His eyes travelled to the men behind her for a short second.

That single movement of his eyes was enough for her to know what was coming.

Flash growled and jumped on her. Mari knew well that it was going to happen. She spun on her feet and got away from Garn’s touch. Before he or the bald one could notice it, Flash was flying onto Garn, because Mari avoided him.

Mari straightened her back and raised her leg. She pushed the bald man in his back and he lost his balance, falling on Garn.

Mari turned to ran away, but another man was standing on her way. He was smiling widely. It was the same one as always. Skinny, rat-like man with awfully greasy hair.

He swung with a fist on her. Mari squealed and avoided it. When he wanted to pull his hand back, she took it suddenly and kicked him on his stomach. The man bend down in half.

It all took a few seconds and nobody knew how it all happened so suddenly.

Mari started running. She turned left, then right. She saw a ladder to the food and jumped on it. She heard steps already. Adrenaline rushed into her body and she quickly went up on the ladder. She found herself on the roof and jumped to grab the highest place. She climbed up and took a few deep breaths. Then, she stood up and balanced herself. She saw the men running to her and founding the ladder. She started looking around.

She had to hide somewhere. Some place with a lot of people, but a lot of places to hide as well. The place she knew.

The problem was, she never visited any crowded places.

She turned left and ran on the roof.

“Stop!” the bald man shouted, when he got on the roof. Mari turned to look at him and stopped running on the edge of the building. She took a running start and jumped over the small gulf. The roof she was on now was flat. She started running. Soon, the bald man jumped over at the roof as well, but she was already jumping on another one. People on the streets were pointing at her and shouting something.

Right after the bald man, the skinny one was running. Garn disappeared somewhere, but Mari was glad because of that. He would never chase her, he was too classy for running.

She took a deep breath before jumping again. This time the break was bigger between the building. She jumped and froze in the air. She made it, her foot hit the roof. She smiled under her breath, proud of herself, but then she felt how slippery the surface is. Her foot slipped, she shouted and slid down the roof and grabbed the edge of the building in the last second.

Her mind stopped. Lungs couldn’t take as much air as they wanted to. Her heart was beating rapidly, she was sweating. The adrenaline was still circulating in her blood.

She felt her fingers being cut and scratched. She shouted and squealed when one of her hands slipped. Right now she was on the edge of the building, trying to climb it, but she couldn’t reach it with her leg. And the power in her hand was weakening. She started wondering how tall is the building. Four meters? Five? Six? She was on the flat. It could have ten meters even.

One of her fingers slipped.

The bald man saw her and smiled widely at her.

“Here, kitty, kitty…” he said and laughed loudly. Some people stopped to see what was going on. The skinny man joined the fat one and they stared at the girl with smirks on their faces.

“Should we help her?” the bald one asked.

~*~

Kai was walking to the club where Taemin was going to performance. He had earphones in his ears and the music was guiding him. He saw three girls running beside him. They were talking about something, excited and nervous at the same time. A man ran in front of him with phone in his hand. Kai frowned and pulled his earphones out from his ears for a minute. He looked around.

“Oh my gosh, no way!” someone squealed beside him. It was a girl. She was talking on her phone. “Did she fell? Is she still hanging? Where is it exactly?”

Kai felt some anxiousness in his mind and heart. He stopped walking. He glanced at the direction of the club and then at his watch. He had some time before the performance.

He turned after the girl, who suddenly started running. He started running too. She leaded him to an alley between a flat and the shopping buildings. He heard a shout and a lot of nervous sighs. He froze, because he would recognize this voice everywhere.

He looked up to see a person hanging on the edge of the flat. Her coat was waving in the air, her red hair were in snow. Two men were standing on the other side, on another building.

“No way” he mumbled.

The group of eight people was standing by the building, observing her. No one did anything. The police was on its way probably. But they wouldn’t made it, Kai knew it.

Mari’s right hand fell and she shouted painfully. Kai saw her blood dripping from her fingers. He pushed through the people and stood right under her. He saw two men and recognized them right away.

“What the is she doing?!” he growled. He saw the skinny man jump on the building. People thought that he was going to help the girl and they started shouting some motivating things. Kai stared at the whole thing with disbelief. The man slowly approached Mari. Kai couldn’t see her face, but she was scared as hell for sure.

Think, Kai, think.

But the only thing he could think of was catching her.

He eyed the building. Four, maybe five meters. He can do it.

He can, right?

When the man approached Mari completely, everyone thought that he will help her. But he didn’t do so. He stepped on her fingers and she shouted with pain. Her body swung in the air. Her left hand was dripping with blood already. Everyone sighed and started shouting at the man to leave her alone.

Mari shouted again. And Kai had enough of it already.

“MARI!” he shouted as loud as he could. The girl turned her head and saw him. Her eyes widened. The men looked at him dumbfounded. “LET GO, MARI! LET GO!” he shouted waving.

“What is he doing?” some man asked.

This or other way, I will be dead, Mari thought. She closed her eyes and benefited from the man’s inattention. He let go the edge of the building and started falling.

Kai could see her bloody hair and her silhouette getting bigger and bigger, getting closer to him. He stomped on his feet and raised his hands up.

It’s like dancing. Catch your partner.

Mari felt, ready for pain, her eyes closed, her breath held in, her mind empty. Only her heart was still beating, slowly measuring the seconds till the collapse.

She almost smiled because of that amazing feeling of wind in her hair and arms. The ground was closer. The only thing she saw was Kai’s nervous, worried and anxious eyes, and his stretched arms. She laced her fingers with his, meeting his warm hand.

____________________________________________

Okay, so the updates will have to be once in a week. Everything because of school, please forgive me. 
Thank you for reading!