gentle breeze

Skinny Love

 

~chapter twelve~
gentle breeze

____________________________________________

And I told you to be balanced
And I told you to be kind

It was like dancing.
Put your hands on your partner’s waist; grab her gently, but firmly, so she won’t fall; split your strength into both your shoulders and legs; balance on your foot, straighten your back when you know that you are able to lift your partner; let your shoulders shot into air and focus on your balance. And then, let your senses to take over you.

When he caught her, it felt like this, but as replaying from the end to the beginning. The time slowed down for a few seconds. After that, he heard and felt a loud thud; her body against his. He felt her warmth and heard her rapid exhales. Someone shouted something, someone ran towards them and was talking to him, but he was numb and deaf. After ten seconds, he finally was able to see and the first thing he saw were stars. He laughed to himself; so it was true that you are seeing stars after hitting your head.

Wait, no, those are eyes.

Mari was sitting on him, holding his hand and patting his cheek lightly with panic in her big, black, sparkly eyes. Her lips were moving. Kai frowned and realized what happened; his mind became clear again and the voices finally started flowing to his ears.

“Kai, can you hear me? Kai?” Mari whispered to him, patting his cheek. He grabbed her wrist to stop her from doing so. Her touch wasn’t annoying for him. It was soothing for some weird reason. He looked at her and sat, making her roll onto the ground beside him.
“You okay?” he asked, worried. He started examining her. “Are you hurt anywhere?”

Mari glanced at the roofs and saw no one. Panic overflowed her again. She looked him in the eyes.

“Thank you” she whispered and got up. Before anybody knew, she was running towards the alleys. Kai’s eyes widened, he was left dumbfounded. A group of people was slowly gathering around him.
“Are you okay?” some woman asked, touching his forehead. He immediately slapped her hand away, but felt guilty all of a sudden.
“I’m fine” he said. “Why didn’t you call the police?”
“We called the firemen, but it looks like it won’t be needed” some man answered. Kai felt anger.
“Are you all blind?” he asked. “These men were chasing her! They forced her to jump at this high…!” he shouted, but everyone around him started just blinking rapidly. He felt even more anger, it overflowed him completely. He shot up ran in the same direction Mari was going. He saw red drops of blood on the fresh snow. His phone was buzzing, but he didn’t hear it even. He could hear sirens too. Well, too late, he thought with grimace. What are you even doing, Mari?

He followed the blood and soon saw her silhouette in the end of the alley. She glanced at the roofs and turned right, into a dead end. Kai knew because he was always wandering here. He ran after her and found her finally. He approached her. She heard some footsteps and turned her head with panic and a gasp. Kai put a hand on and shushed her with a finger on his lips. He pulled away. She was breathing rapidly.

“What the Mari?” he asked. She started shaking her head and took a step back, even though there was only wall at the back. “Why are these men chasing you all the time? You could have died there!”
“I will do something very weird now” she suddenly said, shivering, clenching her fists and closing her eyes in a nervous manner. She finally looked at him and suddenly jumped on him. Kai felt her warm breath on his bare neck and her arms on his shoulders. His heart started beating crazily.

Mari was hugging him for the next five seconds, which really felt as hours. Kai closed his eyes and stretched his hand to pat her head, but she pulled away before he could do that.

“Thank you” she said and passed him. Kai turned his head. His legs wanted to run, but his mind was saying ‘no’.

But Kai never really listened to his mind.

He approached her and grabbed her bleeding hand. He didn’t care for it. He pulled her quite violently and they turned left.

“We have to go somewhere crowded” he said.
“Don’t-“ Mari said, trying to pull away, but Kai clenched his fingers around her, making her whimper from pain. Then, he turned to face her and looked her in the eyes.
“I’m already involved in it” he said strongly. “And I will help you if you want this or not”
“Why?”
“Treats it as a favor” Kai said and pulled her to himself. His phone was buzzing and he thought about a place. Mari was shivering beside him, maybe out of a shock, maybe she was scared. Maybe both.

He heard a chuckle and raised his head. A shadow, a silhouette appeared on the roof and then disappeared. He fastened the pace.

“Come on” he said and turned right, into a different direction. He knew this city better than anyone. He was wandering here for hours and days. He finally found what was he looking for: a little window leading to the basement of a shop.
“Get in” he said and Mari did so, like a lost puppy who needed help for real. Kai jumped in after her, looking around and making sure that they are not following him. They found themselves in a dusty, dark room with shabby walls and old tables standing everywhere. There was a pair of doors in the corner. The only light was coming from the small window they just used.

Kai looked at Mari with shocked and mad expression.

“What is happening?” he asked, demanding. Mari felt a weird throb in her heart, as hiding the truth was something bad, even though it wasn’t. Kai’s strong stare was freezing cold.
“I already told you that it’s not your business” she answered. “I’m grateful for your help. You saved my life. But it doesn’t mean that you can…”
“I’m already involved with you” Kai said, pointing at her. “I told you that already, didn’t I?”
“You are not yet”
“I am. Today one of these men tried to… I don’t know, catch me? Beat me up? Whatever he tried to do, I didn’t let him to do that and I don’t think that he’s happy because of that”

Mari’s heart jumped. She always tried to protect the people from her own business. And she really did so. And suddenly, someone she didn’t even know was involved in such a situation because of her. She started wondering why Kai was still helping her. How could he still follow her, save her, help her when he knew how can it end up. He was telling her that she’s mysterious, but in fact, he was even more mysterious. Cold and apathetic outside, caring and warm inside; who was he even? He was mad at her because she was in danger.

“Why do you care so much even?” she asked with a hint of anger in her voice. “You don’t know me. You don’t know my situation or my life. You don’t know anything. Still, why do you care-?”
“As I would know that” Kai said even before she finished the sentence. He scratched his head with frustration. They both heard some voices and glanced at the small window. They looked each other in the eyes.
“You shouldn’t help me, Kai” Mari said.

“I’m already in it with you. I will help you anyway” Kai answered and took her hand suddenly. He raised it up and forced her to look him in the eyes. “Don’t say anything and don’t ask anything. Just follow me. I will take you somewhere crowdy” he said, and her eyes only widened. He pulled a handkerchief from his pocket and wrapped it around Mari's bleeding hand.

He pulled her strongly to the doors.

~*~

 

“Kai is late” Sehun said to Taemin, who was playing with his fingers nervously. Loud music was playing and echoing in his ears, making his body shiver.
“He will come” he said, looking up at Sehun. The younger boy blinked once and fixed his stare at the floor. Taemin saw Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Jonghyun entering the club and smiled at them. Still, he wanted Kai to finally show up. He was nervous because his best friend wasn’t there. He glanced at the people who were watching the performances. A middle-aged man in a suit was eyeing the people dancing on the scene with cold stare and whispering something to a lady beside him. Taemin knew this man very well. If he will see him dancing, Taemin has a big chance on finally debuting.

But if he want to dance the best as he can, he needs to see Kai.

~*~

 

Kai pulled Mari to a crowd of people. Sounds of cars, people walking and talking was everywhere. Kai finally relaxed when he saw a club where Taemin was supposed to perform. He turned his head to look at Mari, who mas nervously looking around. Kai pulled her closer, because everyone was bumping onto her. He almost felt like she’s his girlfriend – they were walking hugged and squeezed close to each other. It didn’t irritate him even one bit. Why? He didn’t know himself.

“It’s there” he said, pointing at the club. Mari only nodded, her red hair falling on her flushed face. It was really cold, the snow was falling and making her look even prettier. He eyes were more shiny than usually, she had tears in them because of the coldness and being in hurry. Kai wanted to look at her a bit more, but finally quickened his pace and stood in front of the club.

When they entered it, the hot air hit them together with loud music. Mari’s head spun and she would fall if not Kai’s strong grip and a shoulder that was there to catch her. Kai started looking around and searching for his friends everywhere. He spotted Taemin sitting beside the stage. Their eyes met and Taemin shot up from his seat. He started to run towards them. Kai pulled Mari closer.

“Remember him?” he asked, shouting into her ear. Mari frowned when she saw Taemin running and nodded energetically. Kai smiled, showing his perfect teeth and making even Taemin frown. They finally met. Taemin glanced at Mari and smiled at them.
“I thought that you wouldn’t come” he said. Kai snorted.
“Are you kidding? I just wanted to bring a friend” he answered. Taemin laughed and looked at Mari with shyness.
“Sorry for being weird last time” he said to her. Mari shook her head. She was still a bit stunned by the sudden music and nervous after the chase.
“It’s okay” she said.
“I’m going to perform today. Stay and watch me, okay?” Taemin asked them both. Kai patted his shoulder and nodded.
“Good luck” he said. Taemin smiled brightly and jogged back to the scene. Even in such a big crowd, he was surely standing up. With his fluffy hair, loose, blue t-shirt, black jacket and skinny jeans, he looked really handsome. He was very hyped because of the performance and Kai could feel his enthusiasm even standing beside him.
“He’s a dancer?” Mari asked, poking Kai’s shoulder. Normally he would shook it off, but he almost didn’t realize that she was poking him. He glanced down at her to see her curious stare. Her fear has disappeared already and she was slowly relaxing. He wondered if it’s normal for her to get calm quickly or she’s just used to being chased.
“Yeah” he answered. “Let’s sit somewhere” he added. He spotted Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Sehun and Jonghyun and pointed at them. “Those are my friends” he said and nodded at them. “Let’s sit with them”

Mari nodded shortly and they walked towards the table. Everyone looked up, surprised, when Kai brought her to the table. She bowed to them and they all literally froze. Even Chanyeol went all shocked.

“Hey” Kai said, frowning at their reactions. “Um… This is Mari, she’s my friend”
“Nice to meet you” Mari said, bowing again. Baekhyun’s eyes became wide, but he shook his head and stood up to bow to her.
“N-Nice to meet you” he said. “Sit down. Sorry for our… reaction”
“I didn’t see Kai with a girl for…” Chanyeol started.
“Two years” Sehun finished.

Mari raised his brows. Kai growled quietly and hit Sehun’s head lightly.

“Aish… Don’t be ridiculous” he said, even though he knew himself that it was truth. “Sit down” he said to Mai, changing his tone. A new song started playing and someone went up on the scene.
“Let’s welcome our next performer, Lee Taemin” he said and clapped his hands. Taemin jumped on the scene. Everyone started clapping. Kai, Chanyeol and the rest stood up and started shouting widely, laughing. Taemin showed them an ‘ok’ sign and smiled at them. Mari observed them with a small smile playing on her lips.

An old, but very energetic song started playing; Kai recognized it at first. It was one of their songs. It sounded cheesy, but they danced to it a lot.

When the words started flowing, Taemin’s body stared moving on his own. In reality, nothing can describe dancing. Because in reality, dancing isn’t only about moving. It’s about feelings that are flowing through your body. And right now nothing could describe Taemin’s dance. It was full of emotions, he was playing with the rhythm and notes, he was hitting the floor and standing up, twirling and popping. Everything he was doing was full of thoughts and real passion.

Kai’s body started reaction for his moves and for the music. Automatically, his legs stared moving, his mind went numb and blind. At the same time, a barrier stopped him from doing anything and his heart ached hurtfully. He twitched and Mari looked at him, surprised. Her eyes widened. She quickly stared at the floor.

She probably has never seen anyone with such a hurtful stare.

She felt so embarrassed that she saw it. That she saw his sorrow. How could something so simple as dancing hurt anybody that much? She unconsciously looked up at him again. To see his wistful and motionless eyes. She felt like she has to do something with him. She could almost feel his sorrow and his heart beating rapidly. She finally poked his shoulder, making him jump. Kai slowly looked at her, still doesn’t blinking.

“You okay?” she asked him. Kai blinked a few times and smiled.
“Yep” he answered and fixed his eyes on Taemin. Mari felt a throb.

~*~

Taemin jumped off the stage and ran towards them. Kai stood up first and Taemin hugged him right away. Kai patted his shoulder and laughed.

“That was great, man” he said. Taemin chuckled and pulled away. He was sweaty and hyper, he was still jumping in place and breathing rapidly.
“Yeah?” Taemin asked. He still couldn’t say anything properly. “Oh God, give me something to drink”

Mari handed him her own glass of coke and he gulped it down. After that, everyone threw themselves at him and he choked on the drink, spitting some on the floor. Everyone started laughing, patting his shoulders and congratulating him. Mari watched them with a wide smile. She forgot already how it is like to have a pack of friend gathered together.

“Taemin!” someone shouted. Taemin glanced at the man and nodded at him. It was his friend for the same dance group. “Coach is looking for you” he said. Taemin’s face fell and he glanced at everyone. He placed the glass on the table and took a deep breath.
“Wish me luck” he said. Kai showed his thumbs up and Jonghyun patted Taemin’s shoulder.
“I’m going to get something to drink” Kai said and went to the bar. Mari watched him going and suddenly, everyone stared at her. She raised her brows questioningly.
“How did you guys met?” Jonghyun asked with a smirk. Mari felt anxious.
“Um… We…” she started wondering about it herself and remembered the night under the bridge. “Well, it was a coincidence” she said, nodding. “We like the same places”

Jonghyun nodded. Chanyeol leaned closer.

“Are you two going out?” he asked. Mari’s eyes widened.
“What? No! No, definitely not” she said, laughing and waving her hands.

Chanyeol’s face fell and he nodded with a slight grimace.

“Wait, why?” Mari asked.
“It would be good if he could find himself a girlfriend” Sehun said. “He’s alone for two years now”
“But he had a girlfriend?” Mari asked, raising a brow.
“Yeah, but she left him” Sehun said. Chanyeol elbowed him and everyone looked down suddenly. Mari gulped and felt embarrassed all of a sudden. She glanced at Kai, who was standing by the counter. She took a deep breath.
“I will get going. It was nice to meet you” she said and stood up, making sure that Kai isn’t looking.
“You are not waiting for him?” Jonghyun asked.
“I have to be home already. Tell him… ‘a thank you’ from me, okay?” Mari said and turned back. Chanyeol and Baekhyun raised their brows.
“They are friends, but they seem pretty distant” Sehun said.
“It’s like Kai doesn’t want to hurt her and she doesn’t want to in his life” Jonghyun said and everyone looked at him, realizing how adequate his words are.

~*~

Kai took two cokes from the barman and turned to the left. He saw Taemin talking with a man in a suit. He was nervous and happy at the same time. Then, he glanced at the table and froze when he didn’t see a red hint among his friends. He quickly walked towards them and put the cokes on the table.

“Where’s Mari?” he asked. Jonghyun pointed at the doors.
“She had to go. She said to thank you” he answered. Kai blinked a few times and jumped in the place, like he didn’t know what to do. Finally, he grabbed his coat from the chair and waved to the rest.
“I have to go too. Say sorry to Taemin, I will talk to him later” he said quickly and he was already gone. Jonghyun, Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Sehun glanced at each other with questioning, but also meaningful stares.

Kai ran out of the club, pulling on his coat on his way. He started looking around. The streets were completely white because of the snow; the sky was clear and black. Kai was searching for red haired, but couldn’t see her. The people were standing in front of the club, but streets were almost empty. He glanced at the watch.

He turned right and started searching for her. He was peeking in the cafés and wandering through the park. He made a circle around the city and checked under the bridge, but he finally guessed that she was already home.

He sat on a bench beside the river. He stretched out his legs and started with frowned brows at the water. He made some snowballs and threw them into random things – trees, water, piles of snow, lights and signs. He felt cold and crossed his arms. Then, he leaned his head on his own shoulder and closed his eyes.

He could hear the footsteps of people passing him. The sweet sound of snow cracking under their feet was soothing for him.

His mind was slowly flowing in different directions and he started thinking about Mari. He snapped his eyes open suddenly.

She was different than anyone, not only because of her character. She was different towards and to him. He didn’t mind her touch, it was almost unnoticeable. Her voice was soothing, her whole existence, involved with dangerous business, was relaxing somehow, but only for him. She was like a gentle breeze, Kai finally realized. She was gentle, soothing, appearing from nowhere and disappearing suddenly, quietly. She was always moving, she was always running away from someone. And still, besides her stormy life, she has this amazing, mysterious personality which attracted Kai so much.

She’s my gentle breeze.

He didn’t want to lose that gentle breeze. He wanted really badly to help her out. To help this delicate breeze be free again. Be able to fly quietly, freely, without anyone chasing her.

And at this moment he promised himself that he will protect her no matter what, because he wanted this breeze to continue blow soothingly. 

____________________________________________

First of all, I wanted to thank everyone who subscribed and everyone who are commenting on this story. 
I was really shocked when I saw that this story interested so many people. I'm really glad. 
This chapter is long, but nothing particular happens. I will try to make this even more interesting, but I needed chapter like that, so Kai could finally make his decision about protecting Mari. 

I''m really trying to make updates once a week, but we all know how hard it is when school is getting in the way all the time.
Thank you for your patience and for reading my story, it means a lot to me. 

And also, I'm writing a Chanyeol&You oneshot here: (x), so if anyone is interested, feel free to subscribe : )