friendship

Skinny Love

 

~chapter six~
friendship

____________________________________________

And I told you to be balanced
And I told you to be kind

Kai stood in front of a café. A big signboard was saying “Stephanie’s Café”. There was a lot of space outside where tables and chairs were standing in the summer, but not now. It was still early and Kai only saw two teenage girls and an old man, who was sipping his small, strong coffee. Kai looked around and then looked at the red haired, who was smiling lightly. He smelled the beautiful scent of pancakes and his stomach growled, making her laugh.

“I can leave you here, right?” she asked.
“I didn’t know that there’s a place like this here…” Kai mumbled. “And it’s not that far away from my home. How is that even possible?”
“You like sweets?” the girl asked, frowning. He nodded and scratched his neck.
“I can eat sweets till the end of my life” he said honestly.
“I will remember” she said and nodded. “Number five is the most delicious and sweet. You should try it” she added and turned to face him. Her eyes were a bit red, but besides that, nothing changed – her lips were a bit cracked, eyes sparkly like a night sky and she was smiling lightly. “I will go then, Ahjussi” she bowed and Kai made a face.
“Stop calling me like this” he said. She smiled once again and turned to go, but he suddenly grabbed her wrist and stopped her. Surprised by his own action, his eyes widened, but he quickly regained himself. The girl looked at him questioningly.
“I have to go, I’m in a hurry” she said.
“Tell me your name” Kai demanded. There were three seconds of silence and he was still holding her. Finally, she shook her head with a smile and pulled away.
“I helped you this time, because you helped me out as well before. But it doesn’t mean that we are friends or that we know each other. Don’t tell anyone that you met me and don’t try to know me. It will end up awfully for you” she said and her heel. Kai jumped to catch her, but she ran down the street.
“Wait!” Kai shouted, but she started to slowly disappearing. His legs wanted to run after her, but his mind was a bit angry and he felt cheated.

When he first met her, she was scared as hell, but smiling and very kind. She looked like a small child who lost her parents but still wanted to be brave. When he helped her when it was raining, she was very serious and suspicious, but still nice and smiling. Yesterday she was helping him out in a way that didn’t really feel like this – while ordering the soup, she didn’t force him to eat it, but eat her soup herself. After that, she was behaving like a mother, helping him to walk, getting him a compress, even covering him with blanket. She was requiring towards Hoya, and she wasn’t talking formally to him, even though he was older for sure. She was behaving very strongly. She knew that if she wouldn’t be like that towards him, Hoya would throw Kai away.

What a colorful character.

Kai entered the café with his mind full of thoughts and stared at the menu after taking his place. He glanced at the number five in pancakes and raised his brows.

Chocolate pancakes with fruits, chocolate and whipped cream.

He imagined the whole thing and thought that normal people would puke after something like this. But he his lower lip and chuckled under his nose. When the waitress came, he ordered number five with hot milk and waited patiently, staring out of the window.

She said that they won’t meet again, right?

Well, she didn’t say it clearly, but it was easy to guess.

She also said that he can’t tell anyone about her. How would he? He didn’t even know her name. Even Hoya didn’t mention her in any way other that “she”. She said that their familiarity would only bring him some awful things. Was it because of the guys that were chasing her? Why were they chasing her even?

The whole thing was weird. She was weird as well. She was cute, frightened and very childish at times, but then strong and mature, or even dangerous next. She didn’t want him to help her for sure. She was scared that he will get into trouble with her.

She paid off her favor and stated that they shouldn’t meet again.

“You are the one who always bumps into me” he mumbled under his breath. His breakfast came at the same moment and he bowed to the waitress, staring at two pancakes full of chocolate and fruits. He took the fork and knife and tasted it. For a minute, he was thinking only about the taste of that heavenly pancake, but then, Taemin’s face popped in his mind and his throat clenched.

He had to apologize to him.
But he didn’t want to tell him what’s on his mind. Why was he still thinking about Sang Hee. And why he didn’t want to dance.
Because he didn’t knew himself.

~*~

Kai entered their home half an hour later. He glanced at the watch and realized that he had an hour before he will have to go to the library. The thought made him feel tired all of a sudden. He closed the doors and went to the kitchen, and then to his room. He opened the doors and froze when he saw Taemin lying on his bed.

“What are you doing here?” he asked a little bit too fast, making Taemin jump. The older one raised his head and his eyes widened. He was wearing a loose t-shirt, jeans and his favourite shoes, so Kai guessed that he just came back. His hyung sat on the bed. They were staring at each other for a minute, without a word. At the end, Taemin sighed and stood up. He wanted to pass Kai, but the younger male didn’t move for an inch. They were facing each other, Taemin with an impatient and warning glint in his eyes, and Kai with guilt and sadness.

“Excuse me” Taemin said quietly. Kai made a strange sound with his lips and took a step forward.

“I’m sorry” he said. Taemin’s eyes became softer. Kai felt a big weight falling from his chest. “I’m sorry for not being myself. For hiding my feelings and for forcing you to go through all this with me” he said, and Taemin smiled a bit. “I’m not mature. I don’t feel like an adult yet. People are saying that you are the child among us, but it’s not true. And I don’t know what would I do… if you would start to behave like me at that time suddenly. And that’s why… I’m sorry”

Taemin listened to him in silence. He nodded at the end of the sentence and couldn’t keep his wide smile anymore. He raised his head and grabbed Kai’s shoulder suddenly, getting him in a warm hug. Kai blinked his eyes rapidly and raised his brows with surprise. After two seconds, he hugged Taemin back. It felt good and right. He didn’t hug anyone for such a long time.

“Okay, now enough with the cuddling” Taemin said playfully, but pulled away with a serious look. “Sit down” he pointed at the bed. Kai felt his head spin and sat on it with a slight grimace. Taemin crossed his arms, but started with a calm voice. “Why aren’t you telling me what you think or what you feel? Just be honest with me, Kai. I don’t care if your truth would be painful for me, or your thoughts will be weird or too cute, just tell me what’s on your mind. Because I’m telling you everything, and you are always like this. And because of your … behaving, I really start to think that you don’t need me”

“It’s not that” Kai almost shouted. Of course he needed him. Taemin was his best friend. And probably the most important person in his life.
“Then?” Taemin asked.

Kai took a deep breath. It took him another two minutes to get his feelings and thoughts together.

“I was thinking that I will get through it by myself. I don’t wanted anyone to worry about me. I hoped that it will just naturally turn out right and I would forget about… Sang Hee and the whole thing. So I tried. To… came back. To my normal life. But I couldn’t. And it became a problem, and even I could see that problem. But I don’t wanted anyone to think that something is still on my mind, so I didn’t ask you, or anyone for help”

Taemin raised his brows, but Kai continued, biting his lower lip crazily.

“It’s not that I’m still not over Sang Hee. I know that she never loved me. That everything what I did was… stupid and childish. When she said that she doesn’t love me, I was depressed, that’s true. But after that month, when I was going from super-happy to depressed as hell, I became normal. And then I realized that everything what I’m doing brings back memories about her. Every place, every person, every scent and sound. I wanted to close in my world and forget, but it was impossible, because I still loved her. After that, I just couldn’t dance. My legs want to move, by mi mind just… doesn’t let me to” he looked at Taemin’s expression and found it surprisingly painful. Taemin probably thought about ‘not-dancing’ and that’s why he was like this. “The next months passed. I realized that I didn’t dance for so long, but still, I couldn’t. I remembered my parents and everything what happened, how much I had to do to finally come here and… dance. So I got even more depressed”

Taemin gasped for air and took a step back just to sit on the floor. But Kai closed his eyes.

And now my life is messy because I can’t do anything, because I feel a ing weight of bad things hanging on my heart” he thought, but he never said it out loud. Taemin was still waiting, but Kai only shook his head.
“I have to work” he mumbled.
“What?”
“I think that’s enough” he said and laughed dryly. Taemin frowned, but blinked with an understanding stare. He glanced at Kai, who was still sitting stiffly.
“I’m happy that you told me about that” Taemin said. “I’m not good with words, so let me just say one thing” he made sure that Kai was looking at him. “You are my best friend. I’m always here for you. I told you already, it doesn’t matter if you are stupid, weird or… anything. I will always listen. And really… I missed us talking like this. And also, I didn’t know that you went through that whole thing with dancing”
“Horrible, eh…” Kai mumbled with a smile, but in reality, his heart was literally kicking his chest with too much strength.
“But you have to move on” Taemin said.

Whoops, here goes the talking…

“Taemin, let’s talk about this later. I have to go to work” he said and stood up. He glanced at Taemin, who was deep in thoughts. “But thank you” he added.
“You’re welcome” Taemin answered a bit awkwardly and then stood up. He placed his hand on Kai’s shoulder. “And you know, we will fix your life somehow. Just give me some time to think”

Kai raised his brows and chuckled after that. Taemin only smiled.

The younger one exited his room and wore his shoes. But at the same moment, something came to his mind.

“Taemin?” he shouted through the hallway.
“Yeah?” his hyung’s voice echoed.
“Can you do me a favor?”
“What favor?”
“You still have your camera right?”
“The one Taesun gaveme? Sure, I have it”
“Can I borrow it?”
“Why do you need it?” Taemin appeared behind the wall and Kai smirked suddenly.
“Remember when we were spying on Minho’s ex-girlfriend?” he asked. Taemin’s eyes widened.
“Yes, why?”
“Want to repeat it?” he asked, finally getting on his shoes.

~*~

Taemin slapped a big bug that was sitting on his shoulder and hissed. Kai shushed him with his finger and Taemin made a face to him, not believing that he really agreed to do something like this.

They were sitting behind the bushes near the café. There were a loooot of cafes in this city, but Taemin didn’t know this one. His legs were getting sore because they were sitting all the time. The snow was falling again and Kai’s hair got white and wet already. Taemin poked his shoulder.

“So who do we spy on?” he asked. Kai pointed at the girl.
“The one with red hair” he answered, whispering.

At the same time, the red haired girl was giving a big bowl of ice cream to an old lady with a poodle beside her feet.

Kai couldn’t believe that they found her that quickly.

It took him some time to get the materials, check the places that she could work in and also to call Madame to give him a free day. He said that he was sick. And now he was stalking the red haired like an elementary school kid. Taemin didn’t mind for sure, he was rather interested and happy that Kai finally found any interests with girls.

Even if those interests included stalking and spying.

“What’s with her?” he asked.
“I want to know everything about her” he said.

They were sitting and sitting, staring at her every move through the bushes and a big window. Clients were enjoying the food and the café, it looked like this. She was smiling to everyone and also, she kept talking with the new people who entered the café before ordering anything. She seemed really cheerful and relaxed.

“Go there and order something” he said to Taemin. His hyung made a face and his mouth shaped into an ‘o’ in an outrage.
“I don’t want to! Who is that girl anyway?”
“Listen. She knows me well and I can’t go there. But you can. Talk to her and tell me what is she talking about with everyone. You don’t have to be friends with her, just… go”

Taemin stared at him with disbelief and distrust, but chuckled at the end.

“I don’t know what is it all about, but it’s gonna be fun” he said and stood up. Kai grabbed him by his coat and pulled him back. Taemin fell on the ground with a hiss. “What-“
“Go around end enter the café from the other side” Kai said. Taemin nodded and got up, but Kai pulled him down again. This time, Taemin didn’t fall, but shot him a look that Kai decided to ignore.
“And don’t flirt with her” he said.
“Why? You want to do it?”

Kai slapped him on his head and pointed at the doors. Taemin finally stood up and soon, he was in the café.

Kai was sitting in the bushes and wondering why he told Taemin not to flirt with her.

~*~

“Hello” the red haired said to Taemin, who smiled widely at her. She thought that it’s nice to meet someone so cheerful, so her mood got better right away as well. She gave him the menu and wanted to go away, but Taemin quickly gave the menu back.

“One chocolate tart and a small chocolate with whipped cream please” he said, smiling. She bowed slightly.

“Right away” she answered. Taemin was scanning her up and down and she felt weird when he was staring with that grin. She went to the kitchen and told the cook to give her the cake. She herself made the chocolate. A girl who was working with her got closer to her when she was pulling up the cup.

“He’s so handsome! You are lucky today” she whispered. The red haired laughed.
"Yes, he is, but I don’t know why I’m lucky” she answered.
“I would be in your place. And more than that, he’s totally checking you out”

The red haired made a surprised face, but nodded after hearing the girl’s giggles. She went to the counter and stopped for a minute to observe Taemin with the corned of her eye. He was still staring. She got suspicious. Finally, he brought him the chocolate and the cake. He bowed and thanked.

A new client came and she went to him. This time it was a middle-aged man with troubled look and bald head. She asked about his frame of mind and he suddenly started telling her about the awfully unfair thing that happened in his job. After three minutes of standing, she sighed and sat in front of him. Taemin raised his brows.

She was nodding and listening to the man, deeply in thoughts. When he finished with a growl, she was still thinking. At the end, she nodded.

“I’m much younger that you, sir, and I’m not telling this to insult you. But one thing I know for sure: if people are cheating you, the cheats will came back to them. Just hold it in for some time. In this time you have to hide your pride and wait. But if the same thing will happen again, or two times more, you have to finally say what’s on your mind. Don’t trash your heart with troubles and just let them out. We can tell what we want. We are the people, we have our rights. And now I would like to give you a big coffee with ginger for free, so you can calm down a bit. Anything else?”

The man stared at her and his lips cracked into a smile. Taemin just finished his cake and now was sipping the chocolate. He was watching the whole scene with frowned brows and focused stare.

“An apple pie please… a big piece” the man said and she nodded with a smile. A minute later, she disappeared in the kitchen. Taemin left the money on the table and exited the café.

Kai’s head was sticking out from the bushes. Taemin shot him a look and sneaked over to him again, to tell him everything what he saw. At the same time, the red haired stopped in the middle of the café and stared with disbelief through the window.

She on her teeth and made a really unpleasant face.

~*~

Suho finished working when they came back. He was lying on the table. Yes, lying. Kai knocked onto his head and he growled.

“Don’t touch me” he said. Kai felt guilty.
“I’m sorry for the last night” he said. Taemin raised his brows.
“What happened?” he asked.
“I didn’t tell you that I was staying at my friend’s home. Hyung was waiting the whole night for me and then he had to work” Kai answered. Taemin hummed.
“Is that just it?” he asked. Suho raised his head.
“What do you mean?”
“You aren’t tired, you are depressed!” Taemin chimed, pretending the surprised reaction. Then, he came closer to Suho and threw his arm on his shoulders with a smile. “Could it be… the love troubles?”

Suho slapped his head with his hand and stood up. Taemin laughed loudly.

“I knew it!” he said, pointing at Suho. Kai frowned. “Hyo Rim wasn’t working today?”

Suho shot him a bloody look and Taemin closed his mouth. He let his hyung disappear in his room and then glanced at Kai.

“Hyo Rim is the girl he likes?” the younger asked. Taemin nodded.
“She works every second day” he added. “Well, Suho should just relax a bit and everything will be fine. Oh you know what? The spying was great. I felt like in elementary school”
“Same” Kai chimed and they high-fived each other.
“I missed you” Taemin said.
“Me too”
“But now we sound like a couple in a long distance relationship. Let’s watch something” he said, grimacing. Kai nodded.
“We should” he said, laughing.

 

“Don’t do this. Just wait. I will make you love me for real”
“I was waiting and trying for two years. I just don’t love you, Kai”
Silence filled the room. Kai was staring at Sang Hee with anger.
“I told you to stop pretending. Just be yourself”
“I can’t be myself to anyone, Kai” she said with teary eyes. 

____________________________________________

Hello ♥
This chapter is a filler chapter a bit. Nothing really happens and still it took me five pages. Oh well.
I'm sorry that it's boring again, but we have something about Kai and dancing. And also, a lot more will happen next, or so I plan, so I hope that you don't mind. One more time, thank you for the comments and subscribing. I'm so happy that you are reading this fanfic, you don't even know. And also, please comment even more, I really want to know what you think! (even though there's not much to comment on yet... meh)

Thank you for reading!