Is This Blackmail?

A Hated and Unavoidable Thing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Recap: Gil Ra Im just got home from working at the Love Again Cupcake Cafe, when she finds a ahjumma already waiting for her and claiming to be her mother-in-law.

"What did you just say?" I said, completely befuddled by what the ahjumma had just told me. Excuse me, but did she just say she was my freaking mother-in-law?! I think I would know if I got married or not, thankyouverymuch. And I definitely did not.

"Ra Im-ssi, I'm you're mother-in-law." The Ajumma repeated and smiled at me as if I was kind of slow. She gave me a head to toe glance, but her gaze riveted back to my knee. "Omo, you hurt your knee."

"Huh?" I looked down at my knee and for the first time noticed I had gotten a scrape from the fall before. I was so blown away by what the ahjumma had told me that I didn't even feel the injury. "Oh, it's fine. I don't feel a thing."

"Jong Soo, help her inside." She instructed and the bodyguard that was standing with her in the apartment came out. He came to me and threw my arm over his broad shoulders.

"Oh, it's alright- really. I can handle walking by myself." I said stopping the bodyguard from helping me any further. Geez, I was just a few steps till the inside of my one-room apartment. He stepped back and allowed me to walk in. I changed into my slippers and threw down my bag. Turning to the ahjumma and her bodyguard I invited them in. "Excuse me, but how you are my mother-in-law?"

"Oh, that- it was a really long time ago. " The ahjumma said with a sigh. She looked around my one-room apartment and finally decided to just sit on my floor. Don't blame me for not renting out a bigger apartment furnished with fancy furniture- I wasn't expecting anyone over. I sat down on the floor across from the ahjumma, while the bodyguard remained standing. "Anyways, how are your parents? Are they still working in that school?"

She knew my parents... I don't think she knows they're dead. A while back too. Who is she? Is she some kind of fraud? "Ahjumma-nim, I think you might have me mistakened with someone else. Perhaps you were looking for another Gil Ra Im?"

"Aniyo, Gil Ra Im-ssi, I found the right person. I remember your eyes when you were little. It looks exactly like it is now." She replied with a faraway look.

"Ahjumma-nim, my parents are- they passed away. They are gone for thirteen years already." I told her.

"That's impossible." She said waving the idea off, but noticed my serious face and eyes brinked with tears. "There's no way that they could've... died."

"They did- in a school fire." I whispered, not wanting to relive the mere idea that my parents are no longer on this world. I may not remember how, but I know what happen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter