Chapter 17

Living With The Derp Squad

 

We enter a grocery store, the manager leading us to the ice cream. “Okay guys, let’s just get the ice cream and go since it’s late and you have to get up early tomorrow and-“

He turned around and no one was standing there but me, shrugging apologetically. “Tao pointed at something, and they all got excited and hopped away…”

He sighs, rubbing his temples and I can’t help but feel sorry for him. “Would you mind gathering them back here? Thanks, Eunji.”

I head off in the direction they left too, turning down a couple aisles before finding Tao, Chen, Chanyeol, D.O and Luhan all huddled around a display, Kris watching from a couple steps away disapprovingly. It’s all the easily-distracted members together, I realize. Where’d the rest go then?

I approach them and here Kris’s voice. “Come on guys, why are you so fascinated by- Oh hey Eunji.” He greets me with a smile.

“Hi, your manager wants you guys to- What are you looking at?”

I get on my tippy toes and look over Luhan, my hands placed on D.O and Luhan’s shoulders to balance myself. They’re staring at a display filled with little cactus toys. They’re little cactuses wearing sunglasses and a guitar in a pot.

Tao meets my eyes and bounces giddily. “Eunji, look!” He pokes at one of the cactuses and it belts out Feliz Navidad, the cactus swaying back and forth as it dances to the music. Chanyeol puts his arms up like the cactus and imitates it, a wide grin on his face. I can’t help but smile too, before grabbing his arm and pulling him away. “Come on, play with that later. The manager wants you guys back now.”

Chanyeol’s shoulders droop as I pull him away from the toys and the guys trudge along after me, the satisfied Kris walking next to me. I suddenly realize that the music from the toy is still ringing in my ears, and I turn around, barely quick enough to glimpse Tao throw his arms behind his back.

Kris sighs. “Tao… what do you have behind your back?”

“Nothing.”

“Tao.”

“Yeeeeees, duizhang?” Tao chirps, smiling sweetly.

“Put the toy back, Tao.”

“But-“

“No buts, we’re here for Chanyeol’s ice cream and that’s it.”

My eyes follow the conversation like a tennis match, flinging from Kris’s stern voice and face to Tao’s adorable pouts.

“Awwwwww, but duizhang….” Tao widens his eyes, and D.O’s eyes widen as well. “He’s going to do it, Kris. Might as well let him get the toy.”

Kris heaves. “He can’t always get what he wants because of aegyo.”

Suddenly Tao brings one fist out from behind his back and everything happens too fast for me to believe.

Chanyeol’s mouth opens as he starts screaming at Kris to run, Kris’s eyes begin to heat up and shoot fire as he stares Tao down, D.O and Luhan shrink back together to avoid Kris’s fiery, and Chen stands there, tsking Kris.

“BUING BUING!” Tao chimes, his fist rolling up and down. Kris is speechless, as if he’s been mesmerized by a magician’s clock, his eyes glassy as he blinks continuously, staring down at the aegyo-filled maknae.

Kris clears his throat and sighs. “Fine, keep the damn toy and let’s go.”

“THANKS GEGE!” Tao hops onto Kris who grunts, shoving the youngest away with his hand planted on Tao’s forehead. “Yeah yeah, you’re adorable, now go away.”

Kris marches off and I can’t help but watch him go, chuckling. What a strong leader, falling for the youngest’s aegyo.

“Wait, where are the others?” I ask Kris, catching up to his quick pace.

“Dunno. Check the soda area, Kai and Suho have an addiction to soda. Make sure they don’t bring any back or else they’ll never fall asleep.”

I don’t need to be told that twice. Kai used to drink so many sodas a day, usually root beer. He’d challenge me to a soda contest and we’d both end up sprawled over the couch, about ten cans spread out on the table, both of us hiccupping and burping nonstop.

Let’s just say our parents didn’t enjoy coming home to hyperactive kids, high off of multiple cans of soda.

Not surprisingly, I find Kai and Suho holding three boxes of soda each.

“Kris says you guys can’t have soda.” I sneak up behind them and they both flinch.

“I’m leader too, so I say infinite soda!” Suho announces, and Kai cheers.

“We have to go back to the manager though. He’s looking for you guys.”

Suho sighs. “Fine. Let’s take three boxes though.” Kai nods and puts away his three, Suho passing one of his to Kai to carry.

I roll my eyes and lead them to the ice cream, where the manager and the guys who played with the cactus are waiting. Tao’s showing off the toy to the manager who smiles meekly, his eyes showing nothing but exhaustion and once again, I can’t help but feel bad for him. Sehun's standing in the back whispering with Luhan. Where'd Sehun even come from?

“You found them! That’s good, I found Sehun in the candy aisle too..."

Hm. So he actually has child-like traits? I thought he'd have ditched candy and happiness when he became best friends with the devil.

The manager scratches his head. "Hm. We still need to find Baekhyun, Xiumin and Lay. Would you mind looking for them so I can watch these guys and make sure they don’t wander off?” I nod and he bows.

Okay… where would those three be. Xiumin likes food, but we’re in a grocery store so he could be anywhere. Baekhyun and Lay seem practical though so maybe they followed just to make sure he wouldn’t do anything stupid…

Hm… What’s Xiumin’s favorite food?

Steamed buns? Nah, he just looks like him.

Eh. Might as well try.

I walk down the aisle where sure enough, Lay and Baekhyun are each holding one of Xiumin’s arms, trying to drag him away from the buns.

“LET ME GO AND JOIN MY FELLOW BUNS” Xiumin huffs, fighting against Baekhyun and Lay who roll their eyes.

“We have to go now…” I raise my eyebrows. “Um, do you need help because I can get Kris to face his way over here…”

Baekhyun chuckles, losing his grip on Xiumin slightly, who quickly takes advantage and hops out of their grasps to freedom. “HA! Losers.” He grins and grabs some buns. “Okay, we can go now.”

I roll my eyes and so does the manager when we return, Xiumin’s arms filled with buns. “Xiumin, do we really need all those?”

“Don’t question him or he’ll chuck them at your head, then eat them.” Baekhyun informs the manager, who backs away slightly.

“Alright then, let’s go.” He takes us to a young cashier, whose jaw immediately drops, seeing the handsome EXO standing before her.

“Er, C-Cash or c-c-c-credit?” Her hand shakes as she takes the card from the manager, refusing to meet eyes with any of the guys crowding around the lane.

“H-H-H-Have a nice day.” She shoots us a glance, her cheeks blushing brighter than a ripe tomato. That was pretty funny.

We hop into the van and head back to the dorm, Chanyeol forcing me to sit next to him rather than next to the manager like always. I end up between Kris and Chanyeol, Tao on the other side of Chanyeol, both of them imitating the dancing cactus.

“Don’t you ever just want to kick them until they shut up?” I ask Kris, watching them wave their arms around.

“If I did then who would keep my life entertaining?” Kris replies, smirking.

“That makes sense. You seem so much more… jerk-like than you are, Kris.”

“Sorry?”

“I mean, like you look cold but you seem to have a big heart.”

“No I heard you say that. What’d you call me?”

“Uh… Kris?”

“Kris what?”

I roll my eyes. “Kris oppa.” He grins.

“Good.”

Chanyeol stops dancing and stares at me. “Hey! Why did you call him oppa?”
“He told me to?”

“Then call me oppa too!” Chanyeol chimes.

“Okay.”
“Me too!” Suho calls from the seats behind us.

“Just call everyone oppa.” Chen suggests, smiling.

“Sure.” I can’t help but smile. If they want me to call them ‘oppa’, they must not hate me then!

“Except Sehun, of course.” Xiumin laughs, poking Sehun’s arm who stares ahead, looking bored.

Oh yeah, I’m older than him!

“You have to call me noona.” I smirk.

“I’d rather the bottom of Chanyeol’s socks.”
“Hey! You’d be lucky to have the honor to my socks.”

“I’m older though. Either call me noona or call me Eunji-ssi.” I retort, turning around in my seat to look at him.

“Can I call you piece of ?” He spits, and Kai immediately grabs his neck. “YAH, THAT’S MY SISTER YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT YOU LITTLE PIECE OF !”

“HYUNG HELP ME!” Sehun gasps for air, whacking the back of Kris’s head. Kris just shakes his head. “Don’t call her that and watch your language.” He orders, not turning around.

“Okay Kai, I think Sehun gets that you’re mad, now let go.” Suho says calmly.

Kai hesitates before freeing Sehun, leaning against the window. “Jerkass. Don’t say that about my sister.” He mumbles.

Sehun rubs his throat, glaring me down. I roll my eyes and turn back around.

“Aren’t we all getting along nicely!” Baekhyun chirps, and everyone in the van groans.