Chapter 16

Living With The Derp Squad

 

Should I ask him?

I can’t just stand here watching him. He obviously heard the door open. His face is stained with tears, his eyes slightly puffy. He’s sitting against the wall, hugging his knees.

Yeah, I can’t just walk away and act like I didn’t see this.

“Kris, a-are you okay?” I ask hesitantly, taking a small step out from behind the door and into the bathroom. He looks up at me with sad eyes and I feel a small pang in my heart. It’s sad seeing -faced angry bird leader be sad and vulnerable for once. He looks like a lost child, or someone who has lost everything they love.

“D-Do you want me to leave?”

He doesn’t respond, just looking at me, a tear streaking down his cheek. I guess that’s a yes and I reach for the door.

“Stay.” He commands, his voice still strong though his appearance is the opposite.

I nod and shut the door, locking it. I hesitantly sit next to him and hand him a tissue from the box sitting on the sink counter thing.

Should I ask him what’s wrong? Or would that be prying?

Might as well, seeing as the only other choice is for there to be an awkward silence, and I hate awkward silences.

“What happened?” I ask, maybe a little too bluntly. He turns his head and looks at me. I can’t tell if his face is normally this cold or he’s just really sad or I don’t know.

“Y-You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to, I was just-“

“My sister got hit by a car.”

Okay.

So you know how a normal reaction to hearing this would be “Oh no, is she okay holy I’m so sorry!”

For some reason, when he said that, all I felt was pity. Yeah, that’s kind of a normal reaction but it wasn’t necessarily the kind of ‘oh no, I pity you, you must be sad.’ But more of the ‘Oh my god. I pity you since you’re stuck here in Korea while your sister is probably in China where she’s possibly dying yet SM is too ed up to let you leave so instead all you can do is cry in a bathroom.’ kind of pity.

I don’t speak. Not because I have nothing to say but because I can tell he wants to say more.

“My mom called me just now and told me. She got hit by a car while walking across the street right in front of our house, and my mom saw it. The worst… The worst part is that she called me during our performance. And I didn’t know since my phone was in the dressing room. And that might be the last time I could’ve talked to her.”

“What’s her name?” I ask quietly.

“Lin. She’s your age.” He smiles shyly, staring at his hands. I see a tear trickle down his face and I pretend to not notice it. “You remind me of her a lot.”

“Really?”

I feel like I’m trying to encourage a little boy to explain something. Gently asking him simple questions.

“Yeah. You’re both silly and sarcastic and confident but really sensitive and mischievous.”

I place my hand on his shoulder gently. “I’m sure she’ll be fine. If she’s as strong as you, then she’ll be fine.”

“Why do you think I’m strong?”

“Because you manage to survive living with 11 hyperactive dorks.”

He chuckles, rubbing his cheeks with the back of his hand. “She’s not strong, though.”

“I bet she is. Having a big brother like you, she must be strong.”

“She isn’t, but thank you for saying that.”

I nod and suddenly feel my wrist being yanked up. Kris pulls me up and we both stand before he wraps his arms around me. I stand there for a few seconds before hesitantly wrapping my arms around him too.

“Sorry, but… you remind me of her. Hugging you makes me feel like I’m hugging her.”

I fight the urge to squeal with an ‘aww’ and tighten my hold on him, resting my head on his chest. He leans his head on mine, and we stand for a while, not a speck of awkwardness in the air.

I realize that I’ve only known him for almost three days but for some reason I feel as comfortable around him as I do around Kai or Daehyun.

“I hope this doesn’t sound weird, but you smell like her too.” I giggle and he chuckles too.

“You know, the guys are waiting to leave I think. We should go or else they’ll suspect that you kidnapped me.” I mention, and he nods on my head. I make to pull away but he tightens his grip a little.

“Wait. I want to ask something.” He pulls away and looks me in the eye. “You kissed Sehun didn’t you?”

I don’t like lying.

Especially when there’s a crying tower in front of me.

He could squish me.

“It was on accident!” I defend, and his eyes widen. “He was in front of me and I was against the door and then Kai banged on the door and then I flinched and we barely kissed!”

“It was his first kiss though.” His eyebrows rise.

“It. Was. An Accident.” I grit, and he backs off. “And don’t tell people! Only Kai, Luhan, Sehun and I know.”

“I won’t. If you don’t tell the others that I cried in the bathroom.” He says. He’s wiped his face clean, even removing a lot of his makeup in the process.

“Deal.”

“And also, call me oppa.”

“Okay?”
I have a feeling I’m turning into a new sister for him. I don’t honestly care. He’s nice to be around and I feel safe with his presence, just due to the fact that he could step on anyone who’d hurt me.

I exit the bathroom first and return to the dressing room. He waits a few minutes so it doesn’t look like we did stuff in there and returns, ignoring me completely as he heads over to Tao on the couch.

Seeing that everyone’s  here, the manager stands up. “Alright, we can go now. You guys did great.”

“Hyung, we have to go the store.”

“Why, Baekhyun?”

“Chanyeol wants ice cream.”

“Chanyeol, it’s pretty late-“

“MANAGER HYUNG I WILL OPEN MY EYES AT YOU”

“Okay, let’s go to the store then.”

I guess we’re going to the store.

 


 

not edited lol sorry guys i'm tired

HAHAHA none of you guessed it'd be Kris. I honestly chose him because I really want to see Kris be weak or vulnerable for once instead of godly perfect.

GUESS HOW I CHOSE LIN'S NAME GUYS

*le me googling chinese girl names*
*skip*

*skip*

*skip*

*skip*

HEY THAT ONE TRANSLATES TO MY NAME I CHOOSE YOU