Chapter 9

Awkward Love and Music

Sungmin winced as he slowly opened his eyes, his headache growing more painful as he tried to remember where he was. He sat up and realised he was in his own bedroom with no memory of how he got here. Eventually, Sungmin got out of bed and made his way down stairs. He stood in the doorway and saw that Henry was sitting on the couch watching television while Ryeowook was in the kitchen making something.

"What's happening? " Sungmin scratched his head and waited for someone to reply. He still felt quite sleepy. Ryeowook instantly looked up and hurried over to Sungmin.

"Oh, Thank goodness. I was hoping you would wake up soon. I made some tea since you're probably feeling a bit nauseous."

Ryeowook dragged Sungmin over to the couch and sat him down next to Henry.

"Be a bit careful with him." Henry said moving over so Sungmin could have more space.

"When did we get home?" Sungmin was completely confused.

"Yesung and I brought you home. Do you remember anything before that?" Ryeowook kind of wanted him to forget the incident at the library because he was blaming himself for it and was sure that Sungmin would get mad towards him. Sungmin tried to remember and the expression on his face as he went through his thoughts told the others that he did.

"Oh my god." Sungmin stared straight ahead as he recounted his conversation with Heechul. "Oh no... I... I did not..." Ryeowook knew what would come next. "I... this hasn't happened in a year.. " Sungmin felt shame wash over him as he began to cry. Ryeowook quickly pulled his best friend into a hug and held him close while Henry watched without a clue what to do.

"Everyone said I was getting better." Sungmin sobs grew louder as he buried his face into Ryeowook's chest.

"You are, Sungmin." Ryeowook looked over at Henry and whispered. "You can go if you want."

Henry nodded and quietly stood up to leave the room. He didn't want Sungmin to know that he was going. It might make him more upset. He cared for Sungmin and tried to be as empathetic as possible but he was never comfortable in dealing with Sungmin's depressive moments. 

"I'm so stupid." Sungmin's words were muffled as he spoke into Ryeowook's sweater. "I hate myself. I hate everything."

Ryeowook  hated hearing Sungmin bring himself down. It hurt him as much as it hurt the other and he was trying so hard to keep his own tears in. It was best to just let Sungmin rant on about anything, even if it was self-hate. Giving him nice comments in this situation never achieved anything which made Ryeowook feel helpless at times.

"I really like him." Sungmin then wrapped his arms around Ryeowook. "I don't know why. He's so mean so I should hate him."

Sungmin slowly sat back without looking up. Tears were still streaming down his face making him more self-concious. Ryeowook tried to think of a good thing to say when the right words came to his mind.

"He caught you when you fell."

"Hmm?" Sungmin sniffled and looked up.

"Heechul caught you when you passed out." Ryeowook hoped he was helping.

"He did?" 

Ryeowook nodded as he forced a smile. He wasn't what it was he was actually trying to achieve by mentioning Heechul. The latter was already crying over him. However Sungmin didn't seem to like what he was hearing so he broke down again. Ryeowook expected Sungmin to be upset but not this much. It didn't take long however, to remind himself that this was the first time Sungmin had ever really developed an attraction to someone so his emotions would obviously be a bit more sensitive.

After another few minutes, Sungmin seemed to have calmed down and was now looking around the room. Ryeowook watched with curiosity as Sungmin stood up and walked over to his piano. It wasn't long until Sungmin was looking through pieces of music and picking out one that had significant meaning. 

The music he played soon filled the room giving Sungmin the opportunity to focus on the melody rather than his anxieties. Ryeowook couldn't help but become mesmerised by Sungmin's musical ability. Sure Ryeowook had seen him play many times, but it was rare to watch Sungmin play while very emotional. And it always seemed to show off how good he really was. 

Five hours and twenty seven pieces later, Sungmin was still playing the piano. Ryeowook had fallen asleep on the couch, while Henry laid awake in his bed, trying to drown out his friends continuous music with a pillow over his head. Henry gave it another ten minutes before going downstairs to tell Sungmin to go to sleep.

Henry stood behind the couch and watched Sungmin, amazed how he could still have so much energy after an eventful day. He didin't want to disturb him, but he needed sleep for a performance tomorrow.

"Sungmin." Henry wasn't sure if Sungmin had heard him or not. "Sungmin, why don't you get some sleep?"

Sungmin still continued to play as Henry gave up and walked over to him. Henry leant on the edge of the piano waiting for Sungmin to notice him. Sungmin looked for a moment, his hands still on the keys.

"What are you doing up so late?" 

"I could ask you the same thing."

"You should go to sleep." 

Henry knew that Sungmin was still out of his mind and it wasn't helping the situation. 

"Come on Sungmin. Let's just go to bed. Maybe you could take Ryeowook up to your room. He looks a bit uncomfortable." 

Sungmin glanced over at Ryeowook and immediately stopped playing. The room became unusually quiet. Sungmin seemed too calm and it was worrying Henry. Luckily something had distracted him or otherwise Sungmin would have been playing until morning. Music had always been a good distraction from any anxieties or depressive moods. And sometimes he wondered if that was the reason he got into music in the first place despite his natural talent for it.

"I forgot he was there." Sungmin mumbled to himself. He slowly got up from the chair, cringing at the pain in his back. He shut the lid of the piano and wandered over to Ryeowook who looked like he was in a bad dream. Sungmin bent down and shook him just enough to wake him up. Ryeowook shifted a bit before opening his eyes.

"Is it morning already?" Ryeowook asked looking up at Sungmin and then Henry.

"No. It's 2am." Henry replied sounding a bit annoyed. Ryeowook sat up and looked around.

"Did something happen? Sungmin are you okay?" 

"He's fine, Ryeowook. Just take him to bed. He's been playing the piano all night." Henry turned around and went back upstairs.

"I'm sorry for waking you. I couldn't let you sleep here." Sungmin gave Ryeowook an apologetic look. He wanted to thank Ryeowook for being there with him all day, but he couldn't find the words to do so and now didn't seem like the right time.

"I understand." Ryeowook got up and followed Sungmin to his room. As they got into bed, Ryeowook knew that Sungmin was wide awake and probably wouldn't sleep. Seeing the serious side of Sungmin's problem was stressful because he had known him for so long. He had been through so much with Sungmin and it made them very close. In fact, Ryeowook was more close with Sungmin than he was with Yesung. 

 

_________________________

 

After rehearsal had finished, Kyuhyun followed Heechul as he walked around the campus. Eventually, Heechul found a nice place and sat down on the grass. It was quiet and peacecful since not many people were around. Kyuhyun wasn't sure if he should stay but he sat down anyway.

"So why did you want to talk to me?" Heechul questioned in a harsh tone.

"I thought it would be a good idea if we got to know more about each other since we'll be working together a lot." 

"I don't need to know people to work with them." 

Kyuhyun wasn't going to let Heechul's attitude stop him so he persisted with another question.

"How about I find out more about you?"

Heechul scoffed. "Like I would tell you my life story."

"I'm not interested in personal details. Like... tell me why you auditioned for this university?" Kyuhyun was eager to hear Heechul's answer, but it didn't turn out to be as great as he thought it would be.

"My parents made me do it." Heechul laid back on the grass and put his hands behind his head. The sun was unusually bright for this time of year, so Heechul wanted to enjoy as much of it as he could. Kyuhyun on the other hand was finding the weather rather uncomfortable so he put on his sunglasses.

"And you're what? Twenty-one?"

"It was a way to shut them out of my life. I audition for this place and they leave me alone to live life the way I want it."

"Why would they do that?"

"Because the whole family is musical."

"I see..." 

Kyuhyun watched as Heechul pulled out a packet of cigarettes and lighter from his pocket. He didn't like it when others smoked around him, but he knew Heechul would ignore anything he had to say against it.

"So why are you here?" Heechul asked as he lit up a cigarette. Kyuhyun smiled. He loved answering this question as he loved any chance to share his dreams.

"I want to be an author." 

"Is that so?" Kyuhyun nodded. "Then why start a band when you should focus on writing?"

Kyuhyun expected that question. He was asked it all the time and yet it never annoyed him. 

"I have a passion for music. Sometimes I think I love it more than writing. But unfortunately I am useless when it comes to being musical so I stick to lyrics because that is as close as I'm going to get."

"I would give you my talent if I could. I don't want it anyway."

Heechu's words seemed to have shocked Kyuhyun as the other was staring at him with none other than a expression of surprise.

"But what you have is so amazing. How could you throw away something like that?"

Heechul casually took a drag from his cigarette and deeply inhaled the smoke. Kyuhyun was frustrating him. He didn't particularly want to discuss this topic.

"I don't give a for singing or music. It was all my life was ever about." Heechul flicked the ashes onto the grass beside him earning a stare from Kyuhyun.

"Then why are you in my band?"

"You wouldn't stop asking me so I just said yes. Plus I was not going to let that other irritating guy get it. The last thing he needed was something else to boost his ego."

"Do you know how much he's been asking me for it? His voice is nothing compared to yours but at least he wants it." Kyuhyun was getting annoyed now.

"Then give it to him. I couldn't care less anymore if he makes me look like an idiot."

Kyuhyun sighed. He didn't want to get rid of Heechul because he was so good, but at the same time, he wanted someone who had passion for music, not a hatred for it.

"Just stick with it for now. You're too good to replace."

"Doesn't that sound sweet..." Heechul rolled his eyes and sat up as he checked his phone. Kyuhyun was considering to get up and leave now, but a question that had been bothering him had to be asked.

"Heechul?"

"mmm?"

"Do you always sing with such emotion?"

"Is this another compliment?"

"No. Althought it could be. I was just wondering... you must really connect with the lyrics to convey that kind of feeling in your voice."

Heechul turned his face to Kyuhyun and gave him a dirty glare. "What are to trying to get at?"

"I'm just saying that you've been through a break-up recently."

"And why the would that concern you?" Heechul raised his voice a little as he began to get defensive. His past lovelife was a very personal topic that he tried to ignore. But someone was always so curious enough to bring it up.

"I'm here if you ever want to talk about it."

"Talk to you? off." Heechul quickly put his phone in his pocket and stood up. 

"Maybe that's why your so bitter to everyone." Kyuhyun couldn't believe he had just said that, but if it meant getting through to Heechul, it would do. 

"You're an expert of this are you? Do you do this to everyone?"

"I just went through a nasty separation, so I understand a lot." Kyuhyun said remaining calm. 

"You're a ing you know that?" Heechul stared at Kyuhyun for a moment waiting for the other to reply with another smart comment. Since Kyuhyun stayed silent, Heechul turned around and walked back up the hill.

"Maybe you should talk to that Sungmin guy."

Heechul kept on walking as he heard Kyuhyun speak behind him. The last thing he wanted was for someone to assume he was gay when he wasn't even sure of it himself and it surprised him that Kyuhyun even mentioned the idea of talking to Sungmin about something that was obviously dating.

 

 

 

 

So this is a bit of a serious chapter. Hope you don't mind.

It's funny because I accidently wrote Kyuchul instead of Kyuwook. So there will be some Kyuwook coming up soon. But here's some Kyuchul anyway. Their relationship will be very weird, just like most of the other relationships in the story. It probably won't ever be intimate though.