Chapter 22

Awkward Love and Music

 

Forgive me for any mistakes.. it is the wonderful midnight afterall~~ Enjoy :)

 

Heechul so cute. Heechul so lovely. Heechul so cute. Heechul so lovely.

 

For the first time in his life, Sungmin was not paying attention to the lecture he was in. All he could think about was Heechul, his notebook making his thoughts very obvious to those around him. He stared out the window beside him for a moment, wondering what his boyfriend would be up to at this very moment.

“I wonder if he’s thinking about me right now…?” he whispered. “That would be so lo- oh what now?“ Sungmin looked down at his phone, a new message from Heechul.

 

I won’t be at school all week. I need to do things. Can’t do tonight. Sorry. See you soon~

 

Sungmin suddenly felt disappointed. He had plans to see Heechul in the evening after work. But now that wasn’t going to happen. But more importantly, what could be Heechul be doing that meant he couldn’t see his boyfriend?

Sungmin quickly texted a reply.

 

What’s more important than me?

 

He suddenly wish he didn’t send it, knowing that Heechul would probably get annoyed with any kind of questioning.

 

It’s family stuff. Don’t worry about it.

 

Sungmin frowned at the message. Deciding that the lecture wasn’t doing anything for him, he packed away his things and left the room as quickly as possible.

Once he was outside, he didn’t care for Heechul’s hatred of questions and called him. After five rings and hearing Heechul pick up, Sungmin went straight into a rant.

 

“Did I do something wrong? Because if I did, please tell me, because I know that I’m pretty useless but I thought that since I’m your boyfriend, you would actually see me tonight. You know I really want to go on a real date. The kind where you have dinner and talk about serious but humorous things and it’s all sweet and then we kiss, but I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have called because I understand. It’s just I’m feeling a bit weird because for once in my life, I had a night where I couldn’t remember a thing I did and I’m all embarrassed okay, so sorry I’m annoying and all, I just want to be with you.”

 

Sungmin took a moment to catch his breath. He felt kind of weird mentioning the previous weekend. He really wished he didn’t.

 

“Sungmin… you didn’t do anything wrong.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Sungmin sighed with relief, hearing Heechul say that.

 

“Now listen to me… I’ll see you next week okay?” Heechul tried to sound as caring as he could. Even though he wasn’t even close to ‘caring’, it still worked for Sungmin.

 

“You promise?”

 

“I promise”

 

“And we can have kisses?”

 

“Yes.” Noticing that Heechul was starting to sound slightly annoyed, Sungmin quickly said goodbye and  hung up. Oh how he wished he didn’t get so scared, even by his own boyfriend.

 

*

 

Later that afternoon, Sungmin returned home to find a rather depressed Ryeowook sitting on his couch. He should have known something was strange when he didn’t see his best friend early today and the university.

Sungmin slowly sat down next Ryeowook who was staring down at his phone, giving him a good look for a minute or so before speaking.

“Are you alright?”

Ryeowook continued to stare at his phone, a message clear on the screen. “It’s over.” He whispered.

Sungmin read the message. Now he felt like Heechul’s messages were not bad at all compared to what Ryeowook received.

“Do you want to talk about it?” Sungmin asked, genuinely concerned. Ryeowook shook his head. Instead he looked up at Sungmin and smiled.

“You know what?”

“What?”

“Why don’t we go out, get crazy messed up and whoever is hot.” Ryeowook stopped speaking, looking as though he was about to cry. “Because that’s all I’m ing good for.”

Just as expected, out came the tears. And for probably the fifth time in Ryeowook’s life, he was actually crying.

“Oh no no, you’re good at many other things. Don’t be sad.” Sungmin gave his best friend a hug.

“No I’m not. I’m just a ing idiot who’s not good enough for the only person who meant more than a one night stand.” Ryeowook said through more sniffles and tears.

Sungmin then began to think about his relationship. What if it ended badly just like Ryeowook’s? Would Heechul become bored and go off with other men? Whatever it was, Sungmin didn’t like the feeling of it, and Ryeowook’s emotional state beside him wasn’t helping.

For the next few minutes, they both sat there in silence. No words, just thinking.. until Sungmin had something he wanted to say about his relationship. For reason, he wanted to get it off his chest and finally tell his best friend.

“Ryeowook?” he asked. The other looked up, his eyes all watery and big. “I have something to tell you.” Sungmin instantly felt nervous, however Ryeowook seemed interested in what he had to say.

“It’s about…” Sungmin was interrupted by the sound of Ryeowook’s phone ringing.

“Have to take this, sorry.” Ryeowook stood up, walking into the other room as he answered the call. Sungmin somehow felt relieved yet annoyed. He sat there, vaguely listening to what his friend was saying in the next room. His thoughts then drifted to the weekend he spent at Heechul’s. He remembered how nice it was to just be with Heechul, even though he couldn’t remember the first night. He checked the pictures on his phone again, seeing if they would bring back  any kind of memories. The first image he found was of Heechul and him lying in bed together, both smiling at the camera. It made him feel happy, loving how Heechul was hugging him from behind like he was special.

Slowly, his smile faded as a strange memory of that night came into his mind.”

 

“.”