3

Awkward Love and Music

 

Heechul sat back in his chair as gave another glare towards the annoying guy that had just finished sing another excerpt from a song.

 

This is my fourth day here and I wear I’ve heard his annoying voice ten times already.

 

As Ryeowook took his seat, he noticed Heechul roll his eyes at him.

 

“Seriously? Are you really that shallow?” Ryeowook stared at Heechul waiting for a response. Instead, Heechul just ignored the question and started to write something in his book. It’s not that he didn’t like anyone; he just didn’t want to be here. But for the next few years, he would just deal with it, before going off to pursue his own interests.

 

As soon as the class finished, Heechul was the first to leave. He made his way through the halls with his head down trying to appear invisible to those who might just make a comment on his impressive singing abilities. It seemed as though Kyuhyun had told as many people possible about the talent Heechul had.

Heechul was texting on his phone when someone crashed into him, his phone falling to the floor. Heechul looked up and saw it was the guy who was watching him in the practice room the other day.

 

“Oh my goodness! I am so, so sorry.” Sungmin stood there just apologising. Heechul bent down to pick up his phone, only growing more annoyed when he saw a big crack across the screen. Sungmin noticed. His expressions showing that he was sure to be in trouble.

 

“I’m really sorry. I… I will buy you a new one.” Sungmin couldn’t believe what he just said. He would do anything to avoid Heechul being angry with him. “I’ll do anything. Just don’t yell at me.” Sungmin’s hands now covered his face, preparing himself for an outburst that was never going to happen.

 

“Forget it.” Heechul muttered before walking off leaving Sungmin standing in the middle of the hall. It took a moment for Sungmin to realise that people were staring at him, but when he did, he walked out of there as fast as he could.

 

 

“You what?!” Sungmin winced as Ryeowook yelled into the phone.

 

“I think I broke his phone.”

 

“Serves him right. Bastard…” There was a moment of silence as Sungmin thought about what to say.

 

“oh !”

 

“Are you alright?” Sungmin asked as Ryeowook sounded distressed.

 

“Mmhmm… Yesung is just better than usual tonight… oh god.. right there!” Sungmin pulled the phone away from his ear as he realised he was talking to Ryeowook who was currently engaging in some ual act with his boyfriend.

 

“Alright...” Sungmin wasn’t sure to say. He really wished that Ryeowook wouldn’t be so open with his life.

 

“Oh.. and Sungmin.”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Have fun tomorrow.” Sungmin hung up the phone before he had the chance to hear any more lewd sounds from his friend.

He looked around his room as he thought about the day’s events. Whether Heechul wanted it or not, Sungmin was going to make it up to him. He probably couldn’t afford a new phone, but Getting up from his bed, Sungmin wandered into the kitchen. He opened the pantry and stared at all the food. The idea came too perfectly to him. He would bake Heechul cookies.

 

An hour later, Sungmin sat down at the counter admiring his cookies. He couldn’t help but eat one before placing them in a pink box. As nervous as he was about actually approaching Heechul, he was kind of excited.

 

The next morning, Sungmin made his way to his first class, confidently carrying the box cookies. He had no idea where to find Heechul, but going off past experiences, he should just happen to find him somewhere in the campus.

Sungmin decided it was best to go get a coffee before going to class. He had to concentrate on the new information, and in his anxious state, he had barely any energy left. Walking into the little café, he made his order and took a seat by the window. He was reading through some scores when he looked up and saw a familiar face outside.

 

Sungmin grabbed his stuff and ran out of the café. He caught up to Heechul and started to walk beside Heechul.

 

“Can I talk to you for a moment?”  Heechul stopped walking and looked at Sungmin.

 

“What is it?” Sungmin seemed lost for words. He was now looking into Heechul’s eyes and it gave him some kind of strange tingly feeling. Sungmin quickly came back to reality and remembered what he had to say.

 

“Umm… since I’m so sorry for what I did yesterday, I’ve decided to make these.” Sungmin held out the pink box with both hands. Heechul took the box and opened it. He picked out one of the cookies and ate it. Sungmin watched to see if Heechul really liked the gift, but his expressionless face wasn’t helping.

 

“You seem nice.” Heechul said, closing the box and handing it back to Sungmin. “You don’t need to do anything for me, okay?” Sungmin nodded as Heechul began to walk off. Sungmin didn’t care if Heechul didn’t take the box of cookies. All that mattered was what Heechul had said.

 

You seem nice.

 

Those words were on constant replay in his head throughout the entire day. His concentration was definitely out the window. Even during his practice, Sungmin was finding that even music wasn’t getting Heechul out of his mind.

Remembering that he had the box of cookies in his bag, he took it out and opened it. He found himself just sitting in the studio eating every one of them; the crumbs never failing to fall between the keys of the piano.  

Sungmin, used this time to just get back into his own world. No one else was around, so he could think out loud.

 

Heechul must not be that mean if he said I’m nice. Maybe Ryeowook was just over exaggerating a little bit. He tends to do that a lot. But I still don’t understand why he didn’t accept all my cookies. Maybe he didn’t like them. But then he wouldn’t have eaten a whole one. Ok… now I’m analysing things way too much.

 

Sungmin put the empty box in his bag and made his was out of the room.

Sungmin sat down at the bus stop and pulled out his phone. He had a text from Yesung.

 

“Can you please take Ryeowook out tonight? I need a break, if you know what I mean.”

 

Sungmin smiled as he replied. He thought it was amusing how it was Yesung asking him. Sungmin agreed that he would do something with Ryeowook for the evening. It could be fun anyway. Even though he had a lot of study, going out might actually take his mind off Heechul. 

 

This story is so fun to write. I'm still writing my other ones though. I wonder what Heechul will do next chapter... will he meet Sungmin again and have a decent conversation? I'm not even sure myself, so I better get writing!