Chapter 18

Awkward Love and Music

 

Sungmin sat at the bus stop, making sure to glance at his watch every thirty seconds. He had an important exam and did not want to be late. It was inconvenient not being able to drive at times like these, but there was not much he could do about it now.

Sungmin was beginning to get a bit impatient with himself as a familiar car pulled up in front of him. Seeing Heechul, Sungmin wished that he would just disappear into nothing.

"Get in." Heechul demanded in his usual blank tone. Sungmin complied, standing up and running over to the other side of the car to get in before making Heechul annoyed. He didn't ask questions. He just went with it.

 

Fortunately for Sungmin, Heechul drove them both to the university, parking a bit too far away for his liking.

"Can't we park closer? I'm too tired to walk all the way, plus I have an exam."

"Which is in two hours."

"I need to be there early. I don't want to fail." Sungmin whined.

"Shut up. I parked further away because I want to talk to you privately."

Sungmin shut his mouth and listened. There a moment of silence as they walked down the quiet path. Heechul was gathering his thoughts while Sungmin was anticipating the time for Heechul admit what he really feels.

"So Kyuhyun told you." Heechul stated, making Sungmin feel somewhat guilty. "I wonder if he reveals everyone's secrets."

 

Sungmin was surprised to see that Heechul had a faint smile upon his face. However, it didn't last long, soon turning into  a serious expression. Heechul moved to stand in front of Sungmin causing the other walk into him. Sungmin quickly took a step back, apologising but confused as to what happened.

"Sungmin."

"Yes?" He stared nervously at Heechul, blinking a few times.

"Since we both like each other, I think we should get together."

"What?!"

"But don't go telling everyone. People don't know that I'm…" Heechul stopped speaking as someone walked past them. He waited a moment before continuing. "People don't know that I'm gay."

The comment caught Sungmin by surprise. "But I know."

"Yes, but that's you."

"But Ryeowook and Kyuhyun know."

"So that is why you can't tell them that I don't want anyone to know about it."

Sungmin put some thought into it, still not really understanding. Was Heechul basically asking to be in a relationship with Sungmin while keeping it a secret? If so, Sungmin was not too fussed with the idea. It wasn't like he would go around telling anyone any way.

"You haven't come out yet?"

Heechul turn his head to the side, mindlessly staring at the trees as he wanted to avoid the question. Yes it was true. Heechul had no exactly admitted fully to himself that he preferred men since the best relationship of his life was with a woman. But he was now standing in front of Sungmin, confessing his feelings in a vague manner who knew that he was gay. No exceptions.

"Not really."

 

Sungmin smiled, understanding where Heechul was coming from. "I won't tell anyone."

Heechul sighed putting his hands into his pockets, still not able to really look at Sungmin. He was embarrassed but relieved.

"I really should get going." Sungmin said checking the time. Heechul nodded, not enjoying the awkward silence that followed. Sungmin wanted to walk away but felt like he should give Heechul a hug since they were in a relationship as of five minutes ago. He moved closer to Heechul and slowly put his arms around him, careful not to make too much contact. Heechul froze in his place, scared that someone would see them.

"People might see us." Heechul muttered. Sungmin quickly pulled back.

"I'm sorry. I'll go now." Sungmin made a faint smile at Heechul before walking off to his exam.

 

***

 

The fact that he was in a relationship did not actually hit him until he sat down at the table across from Ryeowook and Kyuhyun. His exam could not have gone better, leaving him in a fantastic mood. And knowing that he had a boyfriend just made him ridiculously happy.

"Hello there." Sungmin said as he opened his bag, taking out a sandwich. His happiness taking the other two by surprise.

"I'm going to make a completely stupid and probably wrong guess and say that your exam went well." Ryeowook said with his usual sarcasm.

"It sure did! I just know that I answered all the questions right."

"Well look at that. We are both smart then." Ryeowook grabbed one half of the sandwich and took a bite out of it. "Kyuhyun, could you please leave so I can talk to Sungmin alone?" He said, looking at Kyuhyun.

"But we haven't even talked about our date."

"It's not a date Kyuhyun. We're just going out for a good time."

"But you said it was a-"

"Shut up Kyuhyun. I'll call you later okay?" Ryeowook interrupted. Kyuhyun got up without further protest, leaving the two to talk about something private.

Ryeowook watched him leave before turning to Sungmin with a frustrated expression. "He just won't leave me alone. I don't think I can give anymore hints that I'm not interested."

"He would not bother you if you hadn't cheated on Yesung with him." Sungmin said, chewing his sandwich.

"I wouldn't call it cheating. It was doing myself a favour."

"It was cheating." Sungmin said stating a fact.

"My goodness Sungmin! Where did you get that attitude?"

Sungmin just made a face and then looked away from Ryeowook. He was in such a good mood that nothing could bring him down.

"He still makes me sleep on the couch." Ryeowook mumbled, sounding like he didn't want Sungmin to hear, but in actual fact that was the opposite of what he was trying to achieve.

"What was that?" Sungmin asked, turning back to Ryeowook.

"Oh nothing. I was just talking to myself."

"Okay." Sungmin smiled, taking a bottle of strawberry milk out of his bag. Ryeowook sighed in annoyance since Sungmin didn't hear what he said.

"I said that he doesn't even let me sleep next to him anymore."

"Yesung? I thought he hadn't for a while."

"I think he is serious."

"Of course he is serious. You did it with someone else while in a relationship with him."

"It's just ."

"That's not what you told me."

"What? That's what I always say." Ryeowook looked confused.

"If it was just… you know, then you would have done it with me that night."

"Don't talk about that. It's a whole different situation."

Sungmin was finding that his growing confidence was making him feel great. He was practically having an argument with his best friend and did not feel bad about it at all. But then he wondered if it was just the happiness from being asked out by Heechul that made the current tension seem like nothing.

"I know you're not attending those meetings."

"I don't need to anymore."

"You went to two sessions.” Sungmin stated, convinced that he was right. “I doubt that changed anything.”

“Can’t you just talk to him?” Ryeowook sounded hopeful. “He still listens to you.”

“I don’t know…”

“Please, Sungmin.”

Sungmin still looked unsure, knowing he could get himself involved in the mess his two friends were currently in which was something he was trying to avoid. But he was also getting frustrated with Ryeowook’s constant complaining. In the end, Sungmin always gave in.

“Okay, I’ll do it.”

“Oh my god really?”

Sungmin nodded, and uneasy expression on his face. Ryeowook got up from his seat, walked around to the other side of the table and hugged Sungmin from behind.

“I love you so much!” Ryeowook held Sungmin in a tight hug for a moment longer, making the latter uncomfortable as there were lots of people around them.

“You have no idea how much I love you, Sungmin.” Ryeowook finally let go, walking back around to sit back in his seat, feeling all giddy. Probably even more so than Sungmin.

“So… how about we go out tonight? Just you and me.” Ryeowook asked.

Sungmin didn’t have time to think about his response as Ryeowook was already dragging him out the room. He was still too blinded by his cheerfulness that he was trying so hard to contain.

 

***

 

Sungmin had been to quite a lot of nightclubs in his lifetime, since that was the only  place his best friend, Ryeowook ever wanted to hang out. He was used to it all and knew his strategies for getting out of unfortunate situations. It would have been a usual night, except for the fact that Sungmin was still in incredible happiness having texted Heechul seventeen times with sweet messages. Ryeowook was suspicious, not liking the fact that Sungmin couldn’t take his eyes off his phone.

“If you’re going to be on your phone all night, can you at least call Yesung?”

They were both standing in the narrow hallway that lead into the club. Sungmin said that he wanted to send  few messages before going inside.

“Just a minute.” Sungmin said, replying to the message he just received from his new boyfriend. “Okay, what did you say?”

Ryeowook groaned in frustration, walking around in a circle. “Can you please call Yesung now?”

“I already did.” Sungmin smiled, looking up and putting his phone away.

“What? When?”

“When you decided to take forever getting dressed.”

“What did he say?” Ryeowook said sounding rather excited. Sungmin sighed and stared at his hopeless friend.

“He said that he will think about it.”

“That’s it?”

Sungmin nodded.

“Well what did you say?”

“I said that he should give you a chance and that you aren’t with Kyuhyun.”

“Good. Now let’s just go because I don’t want to think about him for the rest of the night.” Ryeowook just rolled his eyes, grabbing Sungmin’s hand and walking him into the club. He wasn’t going to wait any longer to have a good time, and Sungmin was pushing his patience.

Sungmin kept checking his phone as he followed Ryeowook to the bar. The message was obviously from Heechul, asking Sungmin if he wanted to go out for the night. He texted back saying that he couldn’t go anywhere because he was already out with Ryeowook, but Heechul said he would be there. Sungmin panicked for a moment, telling Heechul to not come. However, the other was very persistent with his word.

Sungmin took a look at what Ryeowook was drinking and ordered the same thing. He picked up the glass, inspecting the drink not noticing the stare Ryeowook was giving him.

“Since when do you drink?”

“Shut up.” Sungmin said before downing half of his drink, and cringing at the alcohol burning his throat. Ryeowook just watched with a blank expression, thinking of a reason why Sungmin would do this. Sungmin made a face before drinking the rest.

“Are you alright?” Ryeowook questioned. Sungmin frowned at his friend and ordered another drink. While he loathed drinking, Sungmin was just too happy to care. He wanted to stay in his wonderful mood and drinking seemed like the only way to do that.  Well after seeing Ryeowook become too happy to be true after a few drinks, he had no doubts it would work.

 

Sungmin finished the second glass and stared at Ryeowook with a smile on his face.

“I am wonderful. This better make me happy forever.”

“Seriously? You’re going to pass out in the next five minutes if you keep going.” Ryeowook warned as Sungmin ordered another drink.

“Yes, but you see… I’m the one in a relationship, not you.”

“You’re not in a relationship, Sungmin.”

“It’s a secret, so don’t tell anyone.” Sungmin whispered in Ryeowook’s ear before getting up and making his way to the dance floor. It was quickly learnt a few years back that Sungmin had a very low alcohol tolerance so after three strong drinks, it was not surprising that he was drunk.

 

Meanwhile, a rather sassy looking Heechul finally arrived, following his word. Kyuhyun was with him and he looked rather excited to be there. Probably because Heechul told him that Ryeowook would be here.

Heechul instantly found Ryeowook who was sitting at the bar watching Sungmin and feeling worried.

“Where’s Sungmin?” Heechul asked. Ryeowook turned to look at him.

“Why are you here?”

“Sungmin told me he was here so here I am.”

“You really can’t leave him alone can you?” Heechul wasn’t going to stop bothering Ryeowook until he got an answer. “He’s over there.” Ryeowook pointed to Sungmin who was dancing by himself looking very much in his own world.

Heechul looked over, surprised at what he saw. Since when did Sungmin dance in public? Since when did he dance at all? Heechul expected to find him sitting alone, bored out of his mind. He turned around to Ryeowook.

“What did you do to him?”

“Me? That’s all his own fault.” Ryeowook said defensively. Heechul rolled his eyes and walked over to Sungmin, leaving Kyuhyun and Ryeowook to themselves.

 

Heechul didn’t look as though he was finding Sungmin’s sensual moves to be that enticing as he approached him. In fact he wanted to him out of the club and talk some sense into him.

“Sungmin!” Heechul said as he held onto Sungmin’s upper arms trying to keep him still. Sungmin looked up and smiled as he noticed it was Heechul.

“Oh hey there!” Sungmin exclaimed, playfully hitting Heechul in the chest. “Wanna dance?”

“No I don’t Sungmin. Let’s get out of here.”

“I wanna dance with you.” Sungmin’s hand made its way down Heechuls chest until it reached the top of his jeans. Sungmin giggled as he realised what he had just done. Heechul grabbed Sungmin’s hand and pulled it off him.

“Why won’t you let me touch you?” Sungmin whined.

“We’re going now okay?” Heechul tightened his grip on Sungmin’s wrist and led him out of the crowd to the back exit. Heechul was having trouble pushing open the door, while Sungmin, finding the situation funny, just laughed at him.

“Shut up Sungmin.” Heechul was annoyed.

“You shut up silly. You can’t even open a door.” Sungmin said before pushing Heechul into the door just as it finally opened, sending both of them to the floor just outside of the building.

Heechul looked up to find the few people outside were staring at them. He tried to get up but Sungmin was laying on top of him still in hysterics.

“ing hell Sungmin, get off me.”

Sungmin rolled off Heechul and onto the ground holding his tummy as it hurt from laughing too much. Heechul quickly stood up and dusted himself off from the dirty ground.

“Get up Sungmin, your embarrassing both of us.”

“But I can see the stars here.”

“You can look at the stars when you go home, now can you please get up.”

“Only if you help me.” Sungmin lifted his arms up trying to reach for Heechul. Heechul sighed, giving in to Sungmin’s request. He held onto Sungmin’s hands and pulled him up. Sungmin stumbled for a moment, before standing still. After a bit of an argument, Heechul managed to get a very drunk Sungmin into the car without embarrassing either of them any further.

 

 

 

 

 

Oh my goodness, I finally updated. Forgive me my dear readers for making you wait so long for an update. Life is changing and my fanfic writing took a while to catch up with it. I'll be updating more often ~