Chapter 11

Awkward Love and Music

Sungmin was sitting at the table eating breakfast and looking over various sheets of music when Henry came downstairs in a bad mood.

"Is there a reason why Ryeowook takes half an hour in the shower? It can't be a gay thing because I only take five." Henry said as he looked in the fridge for something to eat. Instead he found two week old orange juice, but it would have to do. "Why is he here anyway?"

"He's just got some relationship issues."

"I'm so glad I don't live with my boyfriend." Henry walked over to the table and sat across from Sungmin. He noticed there was something different about Sungmin. He couldn't work out if it was good or bad, but it was definitely better than seeing him depressed.

"You seem different this morning."

Sungmin looked up, taking a bite out of his toast and chewed it slowly.

"I do? Is it working?" Sungmin asked eager for an answer.

"I'm not sure. Is it?"

"Well I don't know. I can't see myself like you would." 

Henry chuckled at his friend's sudden confidence. "Have you got a performance today?"

"Nope. I'm going to ask someone out on a date." Sungmin started to sound nervous. 

"Lee Sungmin asking someone out? I'm impressed." The tone in his voice showed that he was being blatantly sarcastic but Sungmin didn't pick it up. "This is Ryeowook's idea isn't it?" 

"No... of course not."

But just with right timing Ryeowook entered the room in his usual tight leather pants that left nothing to the imagination. 

"Why do you have to dress like that at 10am?" 

"It's called fashion. Plus I have to be dressed for work." 

"Do you just have your own collection of clothes here?"

"Sure do." Ryeowook tucked in his shirt hoping it would look better. Sungmin on the other hand was staying quiet. It was best to not get involved in the conversations between Ryeowook and Yesung.

"Where do you work that requires you to dress like that?" 

"You got a problem with my y ?" 

"I was just saying..." Henry rolled his eyes.

"I work at an adult store" Ryeowook said it as though he was proud of his job, which he was. He loved it too much.

"I never would have guessed." Henry got up and walked back into the kitchen, pushing past Ryeowook in the process.

"I'm surprised you haven't been in yet."

Henry gave Ryeowook the look of 'are you serious' and then poured himself another glass of orange juice.

"Suit yourself. You ready to go Min?"

Sungmin looked over at Ryeowook with a mouthful of toast.

"You look so cute like that. Heechul is going to love you. That's if he's not an insensitive bastard." 

Sungmin swallowed and gave Ryeowook an grumpy look.

"Don't give me that attitude. Now let's go."

"Okay, okay, I'm going." Sungmin got up and ran followed Ryeowook out of the apartment.

 


 

"Okay. So Heechul starts work at the ice-cream store at 11:30 so this is the perfect opportunity to get talking to him."

"How do you know when he starts work?" Sungmin was a bit concerned at how Ryeowook knew this kind of information.

"His online profiles. His wise words were, and I quote: 'Work tomorrow at 11:30. So over this job."

Sungmin definitely did not even have to ask why Ryeowook would be on Heechul's sites. He knew by now that it was only natural for Ryeowook to be curious about these things.

"What if the writing comes off my hand?" Sungmin held his right hand in front of his face, silently reading the phrases Ryeowook had given him to say. Sungmin knew it would be completely obvious and stupid if he stood in front of Heechul, reading things off his hands. Sometimes he wondered if Ryeowook ever actually tried and tested his own plans.

"Then use you intuition. If Heechul makes you feel y, then say something y."

"What? You know I can't be... y." Sungmin lowered his voice at the last word and blushed. 

"You can be very y Sungmin. I bet you were made for ." 

"Ryeowook!" Sungmin shouted out loud enough to scare Ryeowook  which resulted in him slamming on the brakes. Sungmin held onto his seat as the car came to a sudden stop, making both of them jolt forward.

"What? What's wrong? Did something happen?" Ryeowook turned to Sungmin who looked terribly embarrassed and flustered. 

"Don't... ever say that again." Sungmin leaned back in his seat as he stared straight ahead. He was to ashamed to look at Ryeowook.

"What did I say?" Panic and concern were evident in his voice. Ryeowook couldn't remember if he did something bad.

"You said I was... well... I can't say it okay! Just don't describe me that way." 

It took Ryeowook a moment to realise what Sungmin was talking about, but he soon got it.

"Oh... because I said you'd be great at ?" 

"Aish!!! Don't say that!" Sungmin wanted to desperately get Ryeowook's words out of his mind, but all he could think of was the word .

"Oh come on Min.. I was giving you a compliment." Ryeowook started to laugh at how entertaining the conversation was. "I talk about it all the time."

"But that's about you and Yesung. Just don't think of me in that way." Sungmin crossed his arms feeling rather annoyed now. "It makes me sound cheap."

Ryeowook suddenly felt a bit guilty as he had no intention of insulting Sungmin. He started to drive on again before glancing over at Sungmin. 

"I'm sorry Minnie. You know I don't mean to be rude."

"I know. I'm just nervous."

Ryeowook smiled to himself as he knew it would work out. It was afterall, his idea.

 


 

When Ryeowook parked the car outside his store, Sungmin seemed reluctant to go anywhere. Ryeowook waited patiently outside, knowing that Sungmin would come out eventually. Sungmin gave himself some encouraging mental talk before slowly getting out of the car.

"Wonderful." Ryeowook exclaimed as he noticed how confident his friend had became. "Hope you don't mind spending the next twenty minutes with me at work. I rather like having someone to keep me company."

"Don't you work with other people?"

"I do, but at least you won't grab my every five seconds."

"I what?"

"Nevermind. You'll meet him in a second."

Sungmin became curious of his surroundings as they walked down a set of stairs that led to an underground street. The store Ryeowook worked in had a very seedy tone about it, but was all the more professional. To be honest, the place scared Sungmin. He especially didn't like it when the guy who appeared to Ryeowook's co-worker stare him up and down.

"Sungmin, this is Kangin. Kangin, this is Sungmin." Ryeowook said as he walked past Kangin into the back room. 

Sungmin stood there as Kangin continued to openly check him out. 

"So I finally get to meet you." Kangin moved closer to Sungmin, making the latter rather uncomfortable. "Ryeowook has sure told me a lot about you."

"Stop exagerrating, Kangin." Ryeowook came back into the room and started organising some things on the counter. Sungmin definitely noticed the different tone Ryeowook used with Kangin. It was a lot more serious and it made him wonder why Ryeowook was like that.

"Anything for you Wookie." Kangin turned his attention to Ryeowook, not phased by the others annoyed expression.

"What did I tell you? No nicknames."

Kangin walked behind Ryeowook and gave his a squeeze.

" off."

"You know you want it." Kangin wispered into Ryeowook's ear which had no effect on the younger at all. Ryeowook turned around grabbing Kangin's crotch in a not so pleasurable way. Kangin winced as Ryeowook tightened his hand around his precious area. Sungmin now understood why Ryeowook wasn't so friendly to Kangin.

"If you touch me one more time, I swear to god I will make sure that you won't be able to stick your anywhere again." Kangin nodded furiously. "Got it?" Kangin continued to nod, praying that Ryeowook would just let him go.

"I promise."

Ryeowook pulled his hand away and smiled even though he knew that Kangin would soon be up to his devious touching again. "Good." Ryeowook looked over at Sungmin, reminding him to go. Luckily for Sungmin, Heechul's shop was only around the corner. Sungmin quickly waved goodbye to Ryeowook and Kangin before exiting the store. 

It didn't take him long before he was standing in front of the ice-cream store, looking down at his hand and reading out the lines. Surprisingly, Ryeowook hadn't written anything too bad which gave Sungmin a bit of relief. 

He took a deep breath and decided to enter the store. Nothing was going to stop him now.

But when he realised that he was the only one in the shop with only Heechul behind the counter, he froze.

"Can I help you?" Heechul instantly asked as if his job was scripted.

Sungmin stood there, mouth gaping open, thinking of something sensible to say.

"Ah, I see. You're here to ask me out right?"

Sungmin sighed, thankful that Heechul knew why he was here. It saved him the stressful work of bringing it up.

"Umm... yes."

"That's cute." Heechul leaned on the counter, his eyes staring into Sungmin's in a friendly way. There was a moment of silence in which Sungmin took the chance to sneak a glance at what was written on his hand. He saw that half of the words were smudged which made him panic a little. Without even realising, Sungmin was trying to read off his hand in a very obvious manner.

"You could... umm... take it out.. this... night." 

Heechul's eyes widened at Sungmin's confusing words. He had no idea what he meant and to be honest, it sounded a bit suggestive. 

"Or I could... get... down... on you."

Sungmin looked up at Heechul hoping the words came out right. And in Sungmin's innocence, he had no idea that his words were having an impressive effect on Heechul. Heechul thought that Sungmin was putting on an innocent act and that just made him more determined to get in his pants. 

"Why don't I just pick you up tonight?" Heechul walked out in front Sungmin pulling a pen out from his pocket. Sungmin tensed as Heechul took his hand and held out it out so he could write his phone number. Sungmin laughed at the tickly feeling, blushing madly. Heechul dropped his hand and walked back behind the counter. 

"I will see you tonight. Now I have to get back to work." 

Sungmin nodded and slowly walked backwards until his back hit the door. He jumped and turned around, pushing the door open and practically running out of the store.  

He skipped down the street with the biggest smile on his face without a care in the world. Sungmin was finally going out on a date with the most handsome man he had seen and he loved it. 

Everything was finally perfect for once in his life, even if it was only for a moment.