Chapter 8

Awkward Love and Music

 

Sungmin sat nervously in the waiting room counting down the minutes until his psychologist appointment. He had been coming here for three years for a few different issues, but for the last year, all sessions were focused around his social anxiety. Fortunately, Sungmin liked his psychologist, so showing up every two weeks such a bad thing.

As Sungmin watched his watch hit 1pm, he heard his name being called. Sungmin looked up and saw his psychologist, Leeteuk, standing outside his office

“You can come in now.”

Sungmin smiled and stood up following Leeteuk into his office.

“You seem much happier today.” Leeteuk mentioned as he sat down in his chair.

Sungmin nodded and quickly took a seat.

“So I guess university is working for you?” Leeteuk read through the summary of their last appointment in his notebook.

“I like it.”

“That’s good to hear. Have you been talking to people there?”

Sungmin thought of Heechul first. He had definitely talked to him a lot.

“Oh yes. I met this guy on the first day and we have had a few conversations since. And then there was someone else who seemed nice. I’m not sure why though, I can just tell. But of course I talk to my friends all the time.”

“Ryeowook and Yesung?”

“Yes, yes! We talk all the time. Even though they are dating, Ryeowook still has heaps of time to see me. He came over to my house yesterday and we talked for a while. It was fun. He’s such a great friend. And then Yesung calls me sometimes whenever he wants me to take Ryeowook out for the night because…” Sungmin stopped talking as he knew he couldn’t say the next part.

“Because?” Leeteuk questioned. He loved the fact that Sungmin became talkative in their sessions. It meant that he had little anxieties when he was around him.

“I shouldn’t say it.”

“That’s alright.”

Sungmin was relieved that Leeteuk didn’t question him further as he personally hated discussing the topic of .

“So why don’t you tell me about the first person you met? If you’ve had a few conversations, I assume you’re not so scared of him.”

“Oh he’s so rude sometimes. He swears an awful lot and talks about bad things, but he was nice to me when I made him cookies because I broke his phone. It was an accident though. I was stupid as usual and walked into him so he dropped it. I offered to buy a new one but he rejected it. So he must be somewhat nice right? And he seems lonely as well, which is why he’s interesting to watch. He’s got an amazing voice though. It’s quite dreamy when I think about it. Ryeowook hates him because he also finds him rude and insensitive which I think he might be exaggerating because that is what Ryeowook does. And did I tell you he works at an ice-cream store? I find cool because he looked so handsome in his work uniform which was pink and pretty. I even told Ryeowook that I liked him yesterday. He surprisingly took it well. Oh yes! And did I tell you that he kissed me one night at a club? He was drunk and I don’t know why he did it but it was my first kiss and I was so bad so Ryeowook taught me how to kiss the next day. He’s such a great friend isn’t he?”

 

Sungmin had to stop speaking because he was practically out of breath while Leeteuk just sat there speechless. Sungmin had never once mentioned in three years that he ever took a liking to someone in this kind of way so it naturally came as a surprise to Leeteuk.

 

“I’m sorry if I’m talking too much.” Sungmin leaned back into the couch, not liking Leeteuk’s quietness.

Leeteuk shook his head and proceeded to write in his notebook. When he was done he looked up at Sungmin. “You can talk as much as you like in here. This shows that your self-confidence is much greater than when I last saw you. You should be proud of yourself.”

Sungmin just smiled. He still had trouble responding to compliments.

“So you and this person spend time outside of university together?”

“No, no… I always seem to run into him at strange places. He’s just always there. It’s kind of weird. I get really embarrassed when I see him, because I think that he thinks that I am following him. But I’m not though. I would never do that.”

Leeteuk chuckled at Sungmin’s last comment.

“What’s so funny?”

“I’m actually really happy for you. You are being adventurous with your life and I’ve been waiting a while for you to do that.”

“You’re too nice.”

 

Leeteuk let Sungmin do most of the talking for the rest of the hour since he hated to interrupt his client from expressing himself. And when Sungmin got into a talkative and ranting mood, there was no stopping him.

 

___________________________________________

 

 

It was now their third week into the semester and Ryeowook was already complaining about the work they had to do. He was sitting in the library with Yesung and Sungmin making a start of a few essays that had to be written by next month.

“So… Sungmin… have you talked to Heechul since you last saw him?”

He couldn’t help but bring up the topic. He was just so happy that Sungmin had a crush on someone.

“No. I haven’t seen him.” Sungmin said as he reached over the table to retrieve a few books for research.

“I know where he is if you want to.” Ryeowook was looking straight past Sungmin. His eyes were focused on Heechul who was sitting a few tables away. Heechul wasn’t actually doing anything productive except to keep Kyuhyun company.

“What?”

“Look behind you. He looks bored, so maybe he wouldn’t mind if you strike up a conversation.”

Sungmin turned around and saw the said person leaning on the table and staring off into space. Sungmin quickly turned back. “Are you crazy? You should know that I can’t just talk to people.”

“This is Heechul we are talking about. He isn’t a stranger and you fancy him.”

“No way.”

Yesung looked up as he heard Ryeowook say that Sungmin fancied Heechul.

“Sungmin likes Heechul?” Yesung asked.

“He sure does. But keep it a secret.” Ryeowook whispered, trying to make it sound dramatic. “He’s waiting for you…”

“No he’s not. He probably hates me.”

Ryeowook scoffed. “Hates you? Ask him out to lunch and I’m sure he will say yes. Stupid bastard always wants to go out with someone so he can get in their –“ Yesung quickly put his hand over Ryeowook’s mouth to stop him from saying anything that might just upset Sungmin.

“We get is Ryeowook. If Sungmin doesn’t want to talk to him, then just leave it.”

“What has gotten you so cranky?”

“Nothing.” Yesung replied. He was not going to say anything that would start a fight with his boyfriend, especially in the middle of a library. Ryeowook turned his attention to Sungmin again and came up with a plan to get him talking to Heechul.

“Okay, I have a plan. Walk over to Heechul and ask him if he has any more information on something you guys have learnt in the lectures. It won’t seem weird because you both do the same theory subject.”

“I don’t know… I already have all the information I need.”

“Just pretend you don’t. That’s the point.” Sungmin still looked unsure. Part of him wanted to talk to Heechul because he just wanted to see him up close again, but his anxieties were telling him it was nothing but a bad idea.

“If you don’t do it now you may never do it.”

“Why are you so pushy about it anyway? I thought you hated Heechul.” Yesung entered the conversation again.

“I do. I can’t stand him, but if he makes Sungmin happy then I am willing to not bring my personal animosity into this. So what do you say Sungmin? Sounds good?”

Ryeowook was a little too excited and it was worrying both Sungmin and Yesung. Sungmin put down his pen and sighed.

“Aish… you’re so persistent.” Sungmin said standing up. He looked down at his hands and could see that he was now shaking.

“Oh my god, are you really going to talk to him?” Ryeowook looked genuinely surprised and a little worried. He didn’t think that Sungmin would actually do it.

“If anything goes bad, I will… I will never ever talk to you again.”

“You don’t have to do it. I was just playing around.”

But as Ryeowook spoke, Sungmin was already walking over to Heechul.

 

“See what you’ve done? I can tell from here that he’s absolutely terrified.” Yesung added actually feeling sorry for Sungmin.

“Oh would you shut it. He will be fine. I know him better than anyone.”

 

“Excuse me, but would you happen to have any extra information from last week’s class?”

Heechul slowly looked up at Sungmin who looked as though he was about to faint any second.

“You’re asking me?”

“Uhh… you’re the only one I know so…”

“I can’t even remember what we did in that class, so you better find someone else.”

“But…” Sungmin started to feel light. The nervousness was really starting to take over. Heechul waited for Sungmin to continue but the other seemed to be lost for words.

“I was wondering…”  Sungmin looked down as he felt his consciousness fade away. He stumbled forward, his legs giving out beneath him causing him to fall. Sungmin expected to hit the ground but he felt someone wrap their arms around him. He heard people talking around him as someone laid him on the ground.

Ryeowook, who was watching the entire scene, ran over to Sungmin and shoved Heechul away so that he fell onto the floor.

“Don’t touch him you ing !” Ryeowook shouted at him. “Oh my god Sungmin, are you alright?” Ryeowook was now holding onto Sungmin who was still conscious but completely out of it.

“I was going to ask him out.” Sungmin said with a faint amusement in his voice. Ryeowook just ignored Sungmin. He couldn’t believe that this was partially his fault. Sungmin was going to be a wreck for at least a week.

“Okay, I’m taking you home.” Ryeowook motioned for Yesung to come over. Yesung knew what Ryeowook meant and picked up Sungmin who was now unconscious.

“Has this happened before?”  Yesung asked.

“A few times, but only when he gets to the point where he is really nervous.” Ryeowook followed Yesung as he walked out of the building still carrying Sungmin.

“This is my fault. This is my entire fault…” 

 

______________________________

 

Once everything seemed normal again, Heechul returned to his seat next to Kyuhyun.

"Did he just say that he was going to ask you out?"

"I don't know." Heechul knew exactly what Sungmin had said.

"I hope he's okay. I can't believe he fainted because of something like that. He must really like you." 

Heechul thought about it for a second. Had the reason why Sungmin had been following him was all because he liked him? Despite his good looks, Heechul didn't usually have many people trying to get with him. Most were put off by his cold personality, so he wondered what made Sungmin think differently, especially since the younger often stated his dislike towards him. Sungmin was definitely one weird guy.

Heechul quickly collected his things and got up and left without saying a word to Kyuhyun. The only person he wanted to see now was Kibum. Not because he wanted the usual , but because Kibum was the only person Heechul could talk to about other guys.

 

 

 

I was not planning on writing what I did, but it just seemed to work out that way. 

So Heechul is going to talk to Kibum about Sungmin. I wonder what he will say...

There will be some brief Kyuchul coming up soon for those who want it and definitely some more amusing Heemin moments.