The Calm before the Storm

The Story of Six People

“Guys, let’s go or we’ll be late,” Siwon stood outside and shouted into the house. Tiffany and Jessica stood beside him while Donghae tried to find his shoes that he had thrown somewhere yesterday, Kyuhyun and Yoona tried to pack as much food as possible in the bag and hurriedly ran out.

 

“Seriously, we have spent too much money on food this month. As far as I remembered, only Yoona is the shikshin. Since when did Kyuhyun become one as well?” Tiffany wondered out loud as they ran to school like usual.

 

“They eat like pigs yet they aren’t getting fat at all,” Jessica mumbled in jealousy. She had to endure much to keep fit. The two maknaes did nothing but eat yet they were still thin.

 

“Yeah, yeah, blame us. It’s our fault for having such a wonderful body and metabolism.” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and mocked.

 

“Today’s topic: Kyuhyun’s and Yoona’s metabolism.” Donghae mumbled and wrote into his hand book. He started to count the topic that they complained for everyday when they were late.

 

"Oppa, I think you forgot the word 'wonderful'." Yoona pointed to the notebook as Donghae nodded and wrote in. His mouth still mumbled. "Forgot the 'wonderful' word,"

 

Siwon could only roll his eyes and shake his head. These people are getting weirder and weirder.

------------------------------------------

 

Siwon walked out from the principal office as the five waited for him outside. They didn’t let all six of them in at the same time anymore. Because from the last time when they were in a same room, the principal had been taken to the hospital with a heart attack.

 

“Hyung, which detention we have this time?” Donghae went toward the older and asked. There was no doubt that they had been late for school.

 

“Don’t know. They are still considering. They are afraid that they would give us some detention that can lead to any destruction of this school.” Siwon shrugged. “This also means we’ll be off for detention. Because I think they’ll take long.” He turned back and smiled at the awaiting faces of the other.

 

“Yes!” Kyuhyun threw his fits up the air. “That’s why I burned the last room yesterday!” He grinned then shuddered at the look Siwon sent him.

 

“Oh, really?” Siwon raised one of his eyebrows. “So it’s not an accident, eh? You did it intentionally?”

 

“Ani… Ani…” Kyuhyun shook his head and elbowed Yoona, signaling the girl to help him. Yoona caught it. “It’s intentionally intention… so, it means unintentional,” She said.

 

“Yeah,” Kyuhyun shook his head in agreement. “Like in mathematic, two negative makes a positive,”

 

Siwon gave them each smack on the head. “Stupid! Do you think you can fool me? Two negative makes a positive but two wrong don’t make a right!”

 

“Oh~ You’re so much in trouble~” Donghae and Jessica whistled and grinned.

 

 

“But, Hyung−−” Kyuhyun was about to protest when a girl’s voice cut him. “Oppa!”

 

Siwon turned around and saw the girl running toward him. She was wearing a blue simple dress with a pair of matching sandals. Her hair tied up into a pony tail. A light of make up made her face look more beautiful and nature.

 

As far as Siwon remembered, this was the girl from yesterday. “Siwon Oppa!” She called and stopped in front of him with a bright smile. “Finally, I found you.”

 

Not waiting for Siwon to reply, the girl continued. “I had been waiting for you at the gate this morning but you didn’t show up. Are you late again? Are you in detention?” She asked with concern. “You know, Oppa, you should give me your address. I will come to wake you up every morning,”

 

Being bombarded with questions, Siwon felt so much puzzled. The girl who just ditched him yesterday came to him again to ask for his address and said that she wanted to go to school with him. What’s that suppose to mean?

 

“Why?” was the only reply from Siwon. The smaller girl in front of him blinked and smiled. “Aren’t we lover now? It’s usual if I want to go to school with my boyfriend, no?”

 

“Boyfriend?!!” Siwon and the four dongsaengs shouted, surprised at what the girl just said; only Tiffany stayed silent. She knew this would come sooner or later. Siwon felt even more puzzled now. Since when did he get a girlfriend?

 

In instant, Siwon turned to Tiffany, feeling like he had to explain to her. “Fany-ah, I… I…”

 

Putting on a fake smile, Tiffany looked at the lad in front of her. “Oppa, congratulation. You finally get a girlfriend like you always want.” Then she turned to the girl. “Nice to meet you, my name is Tiffany. Please take good care of Siwon Oppa,” She acted like a mother as the four dongsaengs eyed her with sadness in their eyes.

 

The girl also politely smiled back. “Nice to meet you, Tiffany-sshi. My name is Yoon Hee. I have heard a lot of you. But I didn’t expect that you’re so pretty in person.” She looked at Tiffany in admiration. “You know, you’ve been my idol for long,”

 

“Ah… ne… thank you…” Still with the fake smile, Tiffany nodded. It’d be easier for her if the girl is a bad person. But it that she is so nice. Even though Yoon Hee took Siwon away from her, Tiffany couldn’t hate the girl when she looked at her with a lot of admiration in her eyes like that.

 

Siwon who eyed the two girls for a whole conversation, fidgeted. He really needed to explain now. “Fany-ah, I−−” The bell cut him off.

 

Yoon Hee bid goodbye to him. “Oppa, I will go to my class now. Goodbye. See you at lunch,” She waved and ran away.

 

Silence wrapped around the six people. All the attention focused on the girl who stood in the middle. Tiffany looked around and smiled. “Wae? Let’s go to class. We’ve already missed the first period, I don’t want to miss the second one too,” Then she grabbed Jessica’s and Yoona’s hands and led them away. She tried to walk faster, far way from Siwon.

 

Siwon wanted to catch up with her and explain but Donghae and Kyuhyun held him back. “It’s not time, Hyung.”

 

They knew how much broken Tiffany and she wasn’t ready to face it yet. But what they couldn’t understand was why their Hyung is so clueless. Heck, living with each other for all those years like a married couple yet he didn’t know how he felt. Is there someone that more clueless than Siwon?

 

Looking at the small back that tried to get as far as possible from him, Siwon followed the younger boys’ advice and didn’t run after her.

 

All the periods, Tiffany didn’t talk to him, didn’t look at him or respond to whatever he did. Siwon started to dislike this silence. Tiffany never did this to him. No matter what he had done, even it was right or wrong, she was always beside him, kept smiling and supporting. Then why did they turn out like this?

------------------------------------------------------

 

The lunch time finally arrived. As a cue, Yoon Hee appeared in front of their class. “Oppa!” She waved excitedly.

 

Siwon wanted to talk with Tiffany but the girl just smiled and pointed to the door. “Look, your girlfriend is waiting for you. Don’t keep her waiting.” She pushed Siwon to the girl. “Here is he. Take care of him, ne?” She turned to Yoon Hee and said as the other girl nodded vigorously.

 

“But, I−−” Siwon turned to protest and Tiffany swept it away. “Hurry and have lunch. If you keep standing here and talk, lunch will be over in no time,” She smiled.

 

“That’s right, Oppa. Let’s go to the rooftop. I have made lunch box for us.” Yoon Hee smiled with her eyes that looked exactly like Tiffany’s and it was always what Siwon couldn’t resist. Unwillingly, Siwon followed Yoon Hee, leaving Tiffany stood in front of their class, looking at them with sad eyes.

 

Yoona approached the older girl and threw her skinny arms around Tiffany’s neck. “Eonnie~ I’m hungry~ Let’s eat, ne?”

 

Jessica also hugged Tiffany’s left arms and said. “I will help you to do the laundry today,”

 

“I will help preventing Yoona and Kyuhyun fight,” Donghae said from behind.

 

“Hey! What’s that suppose to mean?!” The two maknae turned and shouted.

 

“Well, the less you two fight, the less Tiffany has to clean. So it’ll be a big help. I tell you,” Donghae raised his eyebrow and said while the said people narrowed their face at him. “Yah!”

 

Smiling at the effort of the four tried to cheer her up, Tiffany took a deep breath and turned back to smile. “Let’s go. I’m hungry too,” She still had her friend beside her after all.

-------------------------------------------

 

Reaching at the rooftop, Siwon still felt that it’s not ok if he doesn’t explain properly to Tiffany. He was about to tell Yoon Hee that he will go now. But the girl had already set out the lunch box and said. “Oppa, it’s my first time to cook. I have to get up early this morning and spent three hours in the kitchen for this. It maybe not good enough but I have tried my best.” She smiled at him.

 

Siwon noticed there were some burnt on her arms and a few bandages wrapped around her fingers. The lunch box was not very good-looking either. But she had tried so much for him. Being a polite and gentle person, how could Siwon say no?

 

Failing again, Siwon sat down beside the girl, picked up and lunch box and had a first taste.

 

“How is it?” Yoon Hee nervously asked. Seeing the awaiting of the girl, Siwon couldn’t say anything but “It’s really good,”

 

The girl sighed in relief. “Thank God. I thought it will be bad. Oppa, have some more,”

 

Siwon nodded and continued to eat. Actually, nothing is fit with his taste. The egg roll is too sweet. Chicken is lack of salt. Salad is not fresh enough. And most at all, nothing is as spicy for his liking.

 

Then something clicked into his mind. Since when he liked spicy? Siwon still remembered he had poked every single pieces of pepper in his dish out when he was young. No matter how many time his mother told him to eat it, he still left it out. Then since when did he take interest in this?

 

Siwon just remembered. Ah right, Tiffany likes spicy. She had led him to every dukbokki shop when they were young. Siwon really hate spicy but after seeing the happy face of the girl, he didn’t have a heart to tell her the truth. From that time, Siwon had tried to eat pepper.

 

And after all those years living together with the other five, his taste had changed because of Tiffany. The dishes that he felt it delicious were not delicious anymore. Every taste of him had gone and changed into Tiffany’s. Until now, Siwon just realized it.

 

Finishing the lunch box, Siwon stood up and asked. “I will buy the drink. What’d you like?”

 

“Lemonade, please.” She said and Siwon nodded.

 

He went to the vending machine and bought the drinks. In his head, Siwon tried to figure out how to explain to Tiffany later. Picking up and drinks, Siwon went back and handed to Yoon Hee.

 

Yoon Hee took the cool drink in her hand, looked at it and turned back to the lad, asking. “Eh? I asked to you buy lemonade. Why you give me strawberry milk?”

 

Siwon just realized. It’s true that he bought the strawberry milk without thinking. Just like what people said, old habit die hard.

 

“Sorry, I’ll go and buy again,” Siwon leaned in and tried to reach the milk box but Yoon Hee held it and leaned back. “It’s ok, Oppa. You don’t have to. Strawberry milk is fine,”

 

Siwon nodded as he sat down. Siwon thought for a while, decided he will bring all the truth to tell Tiffany later.

--------------------------------------------

 

Yoon Hee walked into the mall, wondering what she should buy to make lunch for tomorrow.

 

“Let’s see. Siwon Oppa likes spicy. Should I make curry?” Yoon Hee stood in front of the spice section. “But if I make curry, how can I bring it to school? Beside, Umma said it was hard to make,” She shook her head and put down the curry flavor packet.

 

“Maybe I should see some more of it,” Pushing the trolley, Yoon Hee turned to another section. She was surprised to see a familiar figure standing there, choosing the food.

 

“Tiffany-sshi,” Yoon Hee smiled and called, pushing the trolley closer to the said girl. “You’re here for shopping too?” She looked at the trolley which was full of food. “Wow, that’s a lot. Do you intend to buy for a whole month?”

 

Tiffany smiled shyly and scratched her head. “Ani, this is only for a week.” Yoon Hee widened her eyes. “But this is too many for you to eat in a month!”

 

“Not with Yoona’s and Kyuhyun’s stomachs,” Tiffany said. “I’m just afraid this won’t have any left after a week. From what I remembered last week, I had to come out and buy more,”

 

“So the rumor is true?” Yoon Hee almost shouted.

 

“Yes, they’re all true,” Tiffany nodded. “All of it, even the one about their ability of destroying,”

 

Yoon Hee was speechless for a while before some words managed to come out from . “It’s really hard for you, Tiffany-sshi.” The younger girl looked at her in sympathy.

 

“Nah,” Tiffany waved her hands, “If you live with them for years, you will get used to it soon. But what are you doing here?” She tilted her head aside and looked into Yoon Hee’s trolley. “Buying food too?”

 

“Ah, ne,” Yoon Hee nodded. “Because I went out to buy food for tomorrow so my mom asked me to buy the sauce for her. Oh, by the way, since you’re Siwon Oppa’s childhood friend, do you know which kind of food does he like, Tiffany-sshi?”

 

As soon as Yoon Hee mentioned to Siwon, Tiffany’s face had felt a bit. Her smiled wasn’t as bright as before. “Ah… that… I don’t think Siwon Oppa doesn’t like anything since he never refuses any kind of food.”

 

“He likes everything?” Yoon Hee asked again.

 

“Well… you can say that,” Tiffany said weakly. She is never a type of liar. But Tiffany didn’t have a heart to tell Yoon Hee what Siwon liked. Even the four dongsaengs also didn’t know what he liked. It’s like a secret between them. And she didn’t want to share it.

 

“Oh, is that so?” Yoon Hee nodded then her eyes landed on some certain boxes in Tiffany’s trolley. “Strawberry milk?” She whispered.

 

Tiffany noticed it and nodded. “Ah, these? I really have thing for strawberry milk. I can’t survive without these,” Tiffany smiled as she didn’t notice the change in Yoon Hee’s eyes.

 

-----------------------------------------------------

Annyeong~ Lucia is texting.

I’m really really really really sorry for the long update >”<  Mianhae for making you wait. This is for everyone who leave message or give comment to urge me to update. It’s been a long time since my last writing so if it’s bored, I apologize. Lastly, I’m sorry again *bow* *bow*