Chapter 22

Duet

chapter22.jpg

 

 

He had always had a hate for cameras but this simply topped it all. The continuous flashes were blinding him, something that would normally be covered by his sunglasses but according to the stylists having no sunglasses would make the press think of him as trying reach out, not presenting such a cold celebrity look. Complete bull if you asked him, but like the good little idol he was he did what he was told. He smiled bitterly at the thought, was that what he had become? A simple puppet, he was starting to begin to question whether it really was all worth it.

“You may want to make a better face SeungHyun or the press aren’t going to believe this” Came a voice from his side. Inyoung was standing next to him, clad in a short black dress and heels, SeungHyun bitterly smiled once again, she looked just like the type of girl the press would expect someone like him to date.

“It’s TOP-ssi, Inyoung-ssi. This relationship isn’t real and you would be wise to use honorifics with me until this is all over” SeungHyun all but growled out to the girl through clenched teeth as he smiled out. The girl next to him frowned, her expression falling ever so slightly before her smile brightened once more and she waved to the cameras.

SeungHyun held a grimace as the staff motioned for him to step forward towards the stand with the microphone. Inyoung released her grasp on his arm as he did so and SeungHyun cleared his throat before continuing, he glanced once back at his president. There wasn’t any other way to do it.

“Ladies and gentlemen of the press,” He began, his voice deep, emotionless. “On behalf of YG Entertainment I want to thank you all for coming out here today. The begin with I want to say that the photos released were real-“There were gasps throughout the audience and a reporter raised his hand, his voice screaming out through the rest of the noise,

“There have been rumours that the girl in the photo with you is actually Girls’ Generation’s Tiffany? Is this true?”

SeungHyun’s voice caught in his throat. He was really going to have to do it; he was going to lie to everyone, to his fans, to her fans. All for what? To stop anti-fans and keep both groups popularity high? It was ridiculous. 

“No, it is not” There was another round of gasps and SeungHyun’s hands balled into fists his knuckles turning white as he tried to control himself, if Tiffany was watching this it would kill her, he knew because it was killing him too. “The girl in the picture is actually Kim Inyoung” The voices of the reporters raised once again and SeungHyun felt Inyoung wrap her hands around his biceps as she brought herself closer to him.

“I am releasing an official statement concerning my relationship with Inyoung and am formally apologizing for any inconvenience I may have caused to SM Entertainment, Girls’ Generation and Tiffany-ssi because of the photos released” SeungHyun took a deep breath, it was done. There was no going back now, his smile turned bitter as he thought of Soo Man, was the money Girls’ Generation was making more important than one of his idols happiness? Apparently so.

“If there are any questions, we’ll be happy to answer them”

“TOP-ssi! How did you two meet?”

“How long is your relationship?”

“Do you see this relationship lasting a while?”

SeungHyun steadied himself, “We believed that it was in all our interests to come clean to the media, without the need to cause another scandal” He lied, his voice as steady as ever. Acting was one of his many skills after all.

“Inyoung-ssi! How do you feel about your relationship with TOP-ssi?”

The woman next to him smiled brighter as the attention turned to her, her hold on his arms tightening and she pulled herself unnaturally closer to him, “Well we have been dating for a while now. And it can safely be said that I won’t be going anywhere anytime soon right SeungHyun Oppa?”

SeungHyun stiffened next to her. That hadn’t been part of what they discussed, in fact she wasn’t to even talk at all to the press. Saying things like that would give them the wrong impression and only make things more complicated. SeungHyun managed a smile before the staff interrupted telling the press that there were no more questions to be asked. Moving towards the backstage area, SeungHyun ripped his arm out of Inyoung’s grasps and whirled around to face her, his face hard.

“What the hell was that?”

The smaller woman simply shrugged as she inspected her nails, “We needed to sell it right? And that’s what I did”

“No you gave them the impression that we were about ready to marry! You weren’t supposed to open your mouth!” He was enraged. The woman was making things more complicated and he didn’t like complicated.

She shrugged once again, smiling up at him. “Well I guess you’ll have to live with me then. Because we are now officially a couple honey and the entire world knows”

SeungHyun was speechless as he watched the girl walk past him; her head held high as the stylists crowded around her. Before he could call out to her, to tell her exactly what was on his mind another staff member approached him.

“TOP-ssi, you remembered what was discussed right? You’re to leave the press conference with Inyoung in your car, the last little bit to really sell the story” it was strange how enthusiastic the staff member was about it and it made SeungHyun want to punch a whole through the wall. But there were cameras everywhere and so with a nod he made his way through the crowd of people stiffening slightly once again once Inyoung laced her fingers with his as he led them to his car, all cameras pointed at them.

The perfect cover up story.