Waiting

When the Sun and Moon Meet

(Kai's POV)

But I feel the sole reason for happiness


I felt my mouth open so wide that I thought my jaws were going to dislocate. My oldest brother, Suho, had just said the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I wondered if an alien had replaced his brain with some random person's. It certainly didn't sound like Suho to suggest such an idea.

"Wait. What? Can you repeat that, please?" I asked.

"I think we should team up with the Sun Clan to find Luhan." Suho said again.

"Find Luhan? He's missing?"

"Apparently. He wasn't acting like himself and suddenly ran off."

"How do you know this?"

"Someone told me."

"Who?"

"Not important."

Not important? Of course it is! But I didn't try to pry any harder. I knew he wouldn't tell me anyway.

"Why do you want to find him? Isn't it better that he disappears after what he did to Sehun?" I asked.

Suho hesitated before replying. "Do you really think Sehun's happy this way? With him gone?"

"... I guess not."

"Then if we can get Luhan back, maybe we can make peace with the other Clan." Suho said.

"What if he just does it again? I don't want to see Sehun look like that again." I frowned when I remembered the look Sehun had on his face for several weeks after we found him.

"That's not something we can decide. Sehun will have to figure it out himself if he wants to risk it again." Suho told me.

"Okay, my next question then. Why are we teaming up with the Sun Clan? If you want to just find Luhan, can't we do it on our own?" 

"They know him better than us. There's a bigger chance of finding him if we team up with him."

"But who gets credit in the end?"

"The whole point is to get closer to them during the search. Show them that we're not a threat and that there's no point continuing with this hatred between the Clans." Suho explained.

"Are you sure they'll agree to this?" I asked. It seemed highly unlikely that the Sun Clan would accept our help. I doubted that they were willing to risk their pride.

"I'm almost certain." Suho said, much to my surprise. "Luhan is their Prophet. They can't afford to lose their most important member."

"Luhan is the Prophet?"

It was Suho's turn to look surprised. "Yeah. You didn't know?"

"I didn't know he had such an important position."

"He's pretty much the most important." Suho said. "So do you agree with my plan?"

"I'll trust you to know what you're doing." I told him. "Have you asked the others yet?"

"I already talked to Tao and Chen. I'm sure Sehun will agree, and Chanyeol... Well, he's not here at the moment."

"About Chanyeol, when can we go look for him?" I asked. "It's been several days."

"We can't go yet. We don't have permission." Suho said sadly.

"Why do we need permission? He's our brother! We have to go save him!"

"If we can find Luhan, I'm sure they'll give Chanyeol back."

I nodded. That made sense. Unless they have no sense of shame.

"When do we start?" I asked.

"As soon as possible." Suho said. "I have to get in touch with Lay again so we can start planning."

"Does anybody else know about this?"

"No. Only us."

I became hesitant. Only us?

Suho noticed my reaction. "I know it'll be hard, but we can't afford for anyone to disrupt the plan. We won't get a second chance."

"But what if father finds out...?"

"We can't let him." Suho said.

I bit my bottom lip as I considered the consequences. Our Father finding out wasn't our biggest problem. It was actually the higher ups. They were very strict when it came to interacting with others not in our Clan, and if they found out we were working with our enemy, they would be sure to give out severe punishment. Then there was the uncertainty of where Luhan's actions. Was he really a good guy? What if we save him and then he turns on us?

Seems like a lose-lose situation to me. I thought.

"Maybe if we find him Sehun can finally sleep properly." Suho said.

That was what caught my attention.

Our youngest brother was having a very hard time falling asleep ever since the encounter with Luhan a few days ago. He would wake up in the middle of the night either yelling or crying. I hated to see him like that. He used to be such a happy boy... And that one person ruined him.

"Contact Lay." I said.

Suho looked up in surprise. "You've decided?"

"Yeah. I'll do it." I told him. "I can't stand to see Sehun like this any longer."

"Thank you, Kai." Suho said.

"I'm going to go buy some juice." I told him. Then I left without waiting for a reply.

The reason why I was going to the grocery store wasn't because I had a craving for anything, it was simply because I had a feeling that a certain someone would be there as well. If not a gut feeling, then a feeling of hope. For some weird reason, I just suddenly want to see him. Even if we team up later and we'll be able to meet much more often, I knew that it wouldn't be the same. Especially if so many others are going to be around too, then we wouldn't even be able to talk openly. They would be suspicious. Why were two members of the opposite Clan so close? We wouldn't be able to make up an excuse.

When I arrived at the store, I walked four whole rounds inside the building. The familiar wide-eyed person I was hoping to see wasn't there. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. However, I didn't give up hope. I simply sat down on a bench in front of the store and waited. The warm sunshine beaming on me  was nice and it made me sleepy. But I didn't close my eyes, afraid that I would miss the one I was looking for.

I must have sat there for a very long time, because the sun had set, and the people who took a seat next to me changed several times. I sighed. Maybe my gut feeling had been wrong.

Just as I was about to leave, I felt a hand land on my shoulder. The sudden impact made me flinch, and I turned quickly, startling the one who had touched me. I instantly relaxed when I saw the familiar wide eyes staring back at me and a smile made its way across my lips. It was the one I had spent the day waiting for.

"You sure buy groceries a lot." D.O. said with a grin. "And suddenly. I've never seen you before that day."

"It's a hobby I picked up." I said smoothly.

"So, what brings you here today?" D.O. asked.

"I..." I allowed myself to trail off. It would probably be easier for someone from his own side to tell him about the new plans. "I don't really know. I was just hungry."

"Did you get anything to eat?"

"...No."

D.O. chuckled. "If you were hungry, how come you didn't eat anything?"

Because I was waiting for you. But I decided to keep it to myself. "I forgot my wallet." That was the truth too.

"Then it'll be my treat. Pick something to eat. I won't let anybody starve!" D.O. said, then pulled me off the bench and towards the entrance of the store.

I felt bad for letting him pay for my meal, but I thought that I could just pay him back another time. We would probably be meeting a lot from now on since we would be teaming up to find that missing Prophet. Not only that, but I also had the feeling that I had actually bought him a meal before... Somewhere, sometime. But I don't exactly remember when or where. It was also very strange, as I've never actually met him before until recently. Where was this weird feeling coming from?

"Kai?"

I was snapped out of my thoughts when D.O. called me. I offered him a smile and ran to catch up. "Sorry. I kind of blanked out just now."

"It's fine. Maybe you're too hungry."


The two of us made our way inside the store and sat down at the tables they had set up in the food section. D.O. paid for both mine and his own sandwich and drink, and we took our time to eat it. I personally eat rather quickly, but at the time, I didn't want our moment to end. I ignored the protests coming from my stomach as I slowly took small bites from my sandwich despite how hungry I was. It was worth it to spend more time with him.

"Is there something on my face?" D.O. asked. That was when I finally realized that I had been staring.

"Yes." I lied. Then I tapped my own left cheek to tell him where the invisible crumbs were.

D.O. wiped his face, but his hands continued to come back empty. After he tried for the third time, I leaned over the table and brushed my thumb over his cheek. His first reaction was to stare at me with incredibly wide eyes, then his cheeks flushed. I casually pretended to shake the crumbs from my finger, then sat back down onto my chair with a satisfied smirk on my face.

The two of us sat there for maybe two hours, and the moon was high in the sky by then. I knew my brothers would be worried about me, but I pushed the thought from my mind. I can think about that later. I prefer to enjoy my time with D.O. first. However, our meeting eventually had to come to an end. I was regretful that it had to bad so soon.

"I'll see you soon." I said.

"Sure." D.O. smiled. "Are you coming back for shopping again?"

"Probably not."

D.O. looked confused. "Then how will you see me?"

"Because I will." I said with a grin. "You'll understand soon."

"Well... Okay..."

"Be careful on the way back!" I called after him once he had turned to leave.

"You too."

That day, I fell asleep with a smile on my face.

- - - - -
I'm soooooooooo sorry for the super late and short update! @___@ Things came up and I had a writer's block. Hopefully I'll get over it soon. >___<

Staring with the next chapter, things will pick up again.