Goodbye

When the Sun and Moon Meet

Maybe listen to this song as you read? [I'll tell you when to start the song]
Link

 

(Luhan POV)

This uneasiness is as if it is my first time entering the Garden of Eden.


I stared at Lay, unblinking, as I tried to process what he just told me.

"...What?" I asked, not believing my ears.

"The Prophet... he wants to see you. He said he doesn't have much time left." Lay repeated with a sad voice.

Still, I sat there without moving. The spoon in my hand slips out from between my fingers and land on the table, creating a loud clang. I blinked a few times and felt my mouth open and close as words tried to come out but refused to at the same time.

"I'm sorry, Luhan."

Suddenly, I shot up from my chair, then ran for the front door. Bursting through it, I almost ran into Kris, who quickly stepped aside to avoid the collision.
 
"Luhan?" I heard him call. "What's wrong?"

But I didn't reply as I sprinted as fast as I could towards the Main House.

It seemed like they were expecting me. Once I was within two metres of the door, someone on the other side opened it, and I ran through without even looking to see who it was. Not caring about whoever else was in the room, I bolted up the stairs and stopped in front of Grandpa's door. Trying to calm my breathing, I softly knocked on the door.

"Luhan?" A weak voice came from the other side. It pained me to hear that he had grown so fragile.

"Yeah, it's me, Grandpa."

"Come in. I need to speak with you."

I obeyed and quietly pushed the door open, then stepped inside of the small and dark room. I found Grandpa laying on the bed with his hand neatly folded on his stomach. A white blanket covered his ancient frame.

"Hi, Grandpa. How are you feeling?" I asked gently.

He smiled at me. "I'm doing fine."

We both knew he was clearly lying. His breath sounded ragged and forced, as if he was having difficulty pulling in air to his lungs. His voice was weak and tired, and I could see that it took most of his energy to even keep his eyes open.

"So... why did you call for me?"

"I need to tell you something." Grandpa coughed. "You must remember it well. Once I'm gone, it'll be up to y--"

"No." I interrupted. "No. Don't say that. You won't be gone."

Grandpa smiled gently up at me. "Luhan. You knew this moment would be coming sooner or later. Please, listen to me."

I felt tears swell up in my eyes as I stubbornly shook my head. "No, you'll be fine, Grandpa. This is just because you didn't sleep well for the past few days. You'll get better. I know you will."

"Luhan... Don't be sad. You'll be fine after I leave. Don't worry. You have so many around you that can take care of you. Depend on them."

"T-this prophet t-thing. I don't know h-how to k-keep going w-w-without you." I chocked out between sobs, and quickly wiping the unstoppable tears away.

"You'll be fine without me. You've always been an intelligent boy." Grandpa told me. "Now, listen."

I nodded.

"I've told you that there is a prophecy before, right?"

I nodded again.

"That prophecy, it's about... an eclipse."

"Eclipse?" I echoed. Grandpa nodded in response.

"Yes, an eclipse. You'll know what it is once you see it." Grandpa said.

Since I can tell that his time is short, I decided not to ask anymore questions. A few minutes of sitting in silence later, Grandpa spoke up.

"Luhan..."

"Yeah?"

"Can you get me a cup of water please?" he asked.

"Of course." I shot up in my chair and ran out the door, determined to do as much for him as possible. He was like the dad I never had after all.

As I ran down the stairs, memories flooded my mind of when I was young. I smiled as I remembered the times when Grandpa would take me out to play. When he gave me that crystal ball. The time he told me about being the next prophet. All the fairy tails and stories he would tell me. All the way back to when I was just a little toddler.

I frowned.

Toddler? As a.... toddler?

Suddenly, my head began to hurt. The pain was so bad that I had to use the wall to keep myself from falling over. It passed in about a minute later, leaving me panting. After giving my head a good shake, I stood up again to retrieve the glass of water.

What just happened? I wondered. Must be because I haven't been sleeping properly.

I grabbed a glass from the kitchen, then poured some water into it. After it was almost to the top, I put the pitcher back down and headed back up the stairs. When I entered the room, I noticed that the window was open and a light breeze was stirring up the curtains and papers in the room.

"Grandpa, aren't you cold leaving the--"

He wasn't there.

At first, I was confused. Grandpa was too weak to leave the room. Where did he go?

The just as fast, my confusion turned into fear.

"Grandpa? Grandpa!" I yelled. "Where are you?!"

Then I ran out the room and began frantically looking around. As I turned a corner, I ran right into someone.

"Luhan? What happened? Why are you yelling?"

I looked up and saw a man whom I recognized as Lay's mentor. I was lucky to have ran into him instead of Xiumin's mentor, since he was much more kind.

"G-Grandpa. He disappeared!" I told him.

His eyes hardened, then he walked past me towards Grandpa's room.

Lay's mentor walked into the room and glanced around the room. First at the open window, then at the scattered blossoms on the ground.

"What happened to him?" I asked again.

"He didn't disappear, Luhan. He... passed on." the older man told me.

I was silent for a few seconds. "Passed... on? As in..."

"He's no longer part of this world. I'm sorry, Luhan." he told me with sad eyes.

"Why?!" I shouted. "Why?! He was so healthy last week!! Why would he suddenly die like that?! It doesn't make sense!"

"Luhan, calm down. Calm down and I'll explain."

I took several shaking but deep breaths. Closing my eyes, I tried my best to stay calm.

"A few days ago, we fought the Moon Clan. They know we have the Prophet and thye didn't like us having that advantage. A man named Hyunsoo in the Moon Clan... he injured your grandfather. That's why he's been so weak. That's why he passed away." Lay's mentor told me.

"Hyunsoo...."

"Jae!" a voice yelled. "Where are you?!"

Lay's mentor looked towards the voice. "Here! Coming!" he called back. "Sorry Luhan. I have to go."

He left after that, leaving me alone in the hallway. I just stood silently for probably the next hour with a blank mind. I felt no emotion. Nothing at all. It was as if my heart had been ripped out and I could no longer felt anything.

The Moon Clan. Grandpa. They killed Grandpa. The one who took care of me. The one who raised me. The one who loved me. The one I love. They killed him. Because of them... he's gone. Gone forever.

Then suddenly, the blankness turned into rage. Pure fury. My vision was stained by a slight redness. I could feel my breathing quickening.

As quick as I could, I ran back to the house I lived in. I slammed the door open as hard as I could, releasing some of the anger inside me. Inside the house, Lay flinched as he heard the loud crash of the door against the door.

"L-Luhan?" he asked with wide eyes. Nobody has ever seen me angry before. I always had a smile on my face no matter what the situation. 

"What's Kris?" I demanded.

"Outside in the yard. What's wrong? Are you okay?"

I just ignored him and went straight for the back door. I slammed that open too. Kris looked up in surprise, his pet Dragon had the same expression on her face.

"Luhan? Did something happen?" he asked.

"Kris. I need you to do something for me."

▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫
(Start the song now)

 

I waited in the dead of the night at the centre of the forest. The trees rustled from time to time around me, and it was the only sound that disturbed the silence of midnight. Not even the birds or usual prey were out and about that day.

A few minutes later, I heard footsteps approaching.

"Luhan?" a voice asked.

I turned around.

"It is you! I've missed you!" Sehun ran towards me and enveloped me in a tight huge. He had the brightest smile on his lips. Usually I would be so happy to see him, but today, I felt nothing. Only emptiness. "It's been so long! How have you been? Did you get in trouble? I hope they weren't too harsh on you."

I let him chirp away happily for another few moments before speaking up.

"Hyunsoo." I whispered.

"Hmm? What did you say?"

"Hyunsoo." I said louder.

Sehun's eyes widened, and he hesitated. "How do you know that name?"

"How do you know that name?" I challenged.

If it weren't for the dark veil the night made, Sehun would have seen my face which was filled with rage. But he could clearly hear the venom in my voice.

"L-Luhan? Is something wrong?" he asked.

"I asked, how you know that name." I repeated, my voice colder than before.

"H-he's... my father." Sehun told me.

Everything around me seemed to stop. The world suddenly stopped spinning. The clock stopped ticking.

Just when I though I found someone that I shared a special connection with... everything goes wrong. Why did it have to be his father? Why can't it just be someone else from the Moon Clan? I know it wasn't Sehun who did it... but to think that someone he's related to killed the one Grandpa that I love so much.... I can't forgive him either.

"Leave." I said.

"Luhan, please. Tell me if I did something wrong. I'll change." he plead. "We finally get to meet again after so long, so--"

"I said, LEAVE!" I yelled. "Get out! I never want to see you again!! I HATE YOU!!"

Sehun took a step back in shock, and a look of pain flashed through his eyes. He opened his mouth as if to say something again, but then turned around and began running. I watched him until he disappeared from sight.

The wind blew softly around me, stirring up the leaves on the trees. They seemed to be singing a sad song to my ears. A depressing melody that seemed to fit my mood right now.

As I watched Sehun run away from me, away from my life... I realized something. I had been so curious about the feeling of recognition when I saw Sehun that I didn't even pay attention to the other emotion that came with seeing him. Just now, as I saw him disappear into the trees and felt the pain in my chest, I finally noticed it. Although we've only known each other for a few weeks, I felt certain.

I love him.

A bitter smile form on my lips. Ever since I was little, I've been told that the life of a Prophet would be hard and lonely. Every one of them had to sacrifice their own happiness for the good of everyone else in the world.

I coughed a forced laugh.

I lost my happiness. Except for what? Because of what? My own selfish and foolish self. I had lost two loved ones in one day, and one was because of my own rash actions.

I can't take back my words anymore. Not after what I said.

Exhausted from the events of the day, I fell down to my knees then onto my side. I just lied down on the cold forest floor as tears began flowing down my cheeks. I raised my hand and held my chest, wanting the pain to go away.

There were wild beasts in the forest, but I didn't care anymore. Nobody would notice if I disappeared. Nobody would care if I died. I don't even feel like living anymore.

I closed my eyes and slowly drifted to sleep with the trees still whispering the same sad melody.

- - - - -
When the chorus of the song started, it would have been best if you read to the part about time stopping. I tried to make it the right length, but everyone reads at a different rate. @___@

Should next chapter be KaiSoo or SuLay? xD