Childhood

When the Sun and Moon Meet

(Third Person POV)

As innocent as a child who doesn’t understand anything.

It was a clear day outside and a little boy with light brown hair raced across the grass, sunlight tinting his hair bronze. Another boy followed close behind, chasing the first one. They laughed as a cool breeze ruffled their hair. Cherry blossoms dappled the ground under their feet pink, and drifted through the air.

"Luhan! Wait for me!" the second, younger one yelled, running as fast as his infant legs let him.

"I'll wait if you catch me first!" the older of the two laughed and continued running, but he slowed down a tiny bit.

"That... doesn't even make sense! If I catch you... you won't have to wait!" they were both running out of breath now, and were struggling to take in air while running, laughing and yelling across the field at the same time.

Soon, they collapsed onto the soft green grass underneath them, facing the cloudless blue sky. When the younger boy saw that his friend was laying on the grass, he quickly took the opportunity to catch up.

Stopping next to the older boy, he flopped down beside him. "Sehun, what does that cloud look like to you?" the older, ten year old boy asked, pointing his stubby finger towards the sky.

The younger of the two thought about it for a moment then answered, "a frog."

"I think so too."

The two continued asking each other about clouds, and giggling at the answers. Most of their answers were the same, and they teasingly accused the other for copying them. Suddenly, the black haired boy, Sehun, sat up.

"I love you, Luhan. I want to be with you forever. You're the nicest person I've ever met," he said with the innocence of a child.

"I want to stay with you too." Luhan answered the other boy.

"Let's get married!" Sehun suggested, excitement written all over his face.

"Married? You mean like mommies and daddies?"

"Yeah! They told me they will stay together forever because they're married." Sehun said, not truly understanding what the word means.

"Okay! Let's pinky promise!" Luhan laughed, holding out the smallest finger on his right hand. Sehun linked it with his own and they sealed their words.

"I won't break it." Sehun said determinedly. "A promise is a promise."

The two continued to watch the clouds together and sharing their naive dreams.
 

▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫

 

"Bacon, are you mad?" a little boy asked in a worried voice.

"No, I'm not," the other boy named 'Bacon' answered.

"You look mad."

"I'm not mad, Chanyeol." Bacon repeated.

His friend struggled to climb up to where he was sitting on a stone ledge. Chanyeol sat down next to him and wiggled into a more comfortable position. They watched the setting sun, and didn't say anything. Soon, the moon was hanging high in the sky, and they were still sitting in the same position.

"We should be heading home, Baekhyun." Chanyeol said.

"I don't want to." It was clear that little Baekhyun was angry, and Chanyeol had no choice but to stay with his friend. Chanyeol knew that Baekhyun's parents wouldn't even realize he was gone. They neglected him, and it was hard on the other boy to take care of himself. Chanyeol tried to avoid the subject as much as he could, but somehow, it always came up and left his friend moody.

"I'm glad I have you, Chanyeol." Baekhyun suddenly broke the silence of the night.

Chanyeol blushed at the unexpected compliment. "O-of course I'll be with you. You can count on my. I promise to be with you forever." he grinned, causing his Bacon friend's laughter.

"Forever."

"Come over to my house today. I'm sure mommy won't mind." the little boy hopped off the ledge and waved for his friend to follow. They then left the yard to head inside the warm house.

Baekhyun was no longer mad, but rather, happy and hopeful. His friend Chanyeol's words echoed in his head. He no longer felt alone in the world. Deep in thought, he didn't notice that he had fallen behind.

"Hurry, Bacon!" Chanyeol ran back and grabbed his friend's hand, and pulled him in the direction of the door. Together, they stepped past the door frame.

 

 

 

▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫

 

 

 

"Wu Fan, where are you?" It was night, and a young boy was stumbling through the darkness. "Wu Fan, I'm scared." Tears began to form in the lost boy's eyes. He continued to walk through the strange place, not knowing where he was. The little boy wiped his hand across his eyes to remove the tears.

Suddenly, a hand grabbed his shoulder, and he jerked in surprise. He spun around to face the newcomer, going into fighting stance in case they attacked him.

"Zi Tao, honestly, I looked all over for you!" an older boy was panting from sprinting around the neighborhood. "Don't go off like that again."

"Wu Fan!" the lost boy immediately wrapped his arms around the other, older one. He buried his face in his friend's shirt. "I found you."

"No, I found you." Wu Fan corrected. "I had to run all over the place. Why did you leave like that?"

"I didn't leave. I saw a cat and stopped to look at it. When I turned back, you were gone." Zi Tao looked up at the older boy with wide, innocent eyes.

Wu Fan sighed, and took Zi Tao's hand in his. "Let's go home." The two were neighbors, and Wu Fan was in charge of playing with the younger boy when his parents weren't home.

"Okay," Zi Tao answered happily. He swung their link hands as they walked, all source of fear vanished. Wu Fan couldn't help but smile at his friend's 180 flip. Seconds earlier, he had been on the verge of tears. Now, he was chatting away as if nothing happened.

"Thanks for finding me, Wu Fan." Zi Tao said.

"No problem. I'll always be there for you." the older boy replied. Zi Tao grinned at his answer, satisfied.

"I'll be there for you too."

 

 

 

▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫

 

 

 

"Yi Xing, what are you doing?"

"Watering the plants, Joon Myun. Do you want to try?" Yi Xing handed his watering can to the other boy.

"Yes." Joon Myun eagerly took the can and splashed water over the plants, mimicking what Yi Xing had been doing earlier. "Like this?"

"Yes, like that. Good job." Yi Xing smiled and guided Joon Myun to another place where the plants had to be watered.

Joon Myun looked around the beautiful garden. His little friend was so young, yet he managed to raise a garden that would make anybody jealous. He felt a sense of pride rising in his chest. Yi Xing was like a younger brother to him, and he was proud of his accomplishment.

He looked to the centre of the garden, where a single, large bulb was still unopened. Joon Myun remembered seeing it like that the year before too, and even the year before that.

"Yi Xing, is that flower going to open?" Joon Myun asked his slight lisp evident. Yi Xing looking to where he was pointing and shrugged.

"It will open when it's ready to." the younger boy told Joon Myun.

"Will it be pretty?"

"Plants will become beautiful if they're given lots of love. Do you want to help it become pretty?" Yi Xing asked

"Yes!" Joon Myun answered excitedly. "I'll help you rise it to become the most beautiful flower!"

"I'm thankful for your help. I wouldn't be able to do it all by myself." Yi Xing said, and took his younger friend's hand. "Why don't you water it right now?"

Joon Myun carefully sprinkled water around the bulb, careful to get all sides. He then gently the smooth plant. "Grow up pretty."

"With you taking care of it, I'm sure it will." Yi Xing smiled.

"It needs you too, Yi Xing." Joon Myun looked at Yi Xing with big eyes filled with hope and innocence.

"I'll do my best."

"I believe in you." Joon Myun said determinedly.

Yi Xing was surprised to hear such a mature phrase from his little friend. His smile grew wider. "Thank you. I have faith in you too."

"The flower will open up to be the most beautiful flower ever." Joon Myun declared, believe every word.

"Why don't we name it?" Yi Xing suggested.

"Mmmm... how about... Faye?" Joon Myun said after minutes of deep thought.

"Why Faye?"

"I dunno. I just like that name." Joon Myun explained.

"Shouldn't it have some kind of meaning behind it?"

"No. I like Faye." he complained cutely. Yi Xing gave in and just nodded.

"Faye it is."

 

 

 

 

▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫
 
"Jong Daaaaae, what are you doing here?" a little boy with chubby cheeks like a dumpling asked. The friend he was talking to didn't answer. "What happened? Did your teacher yell at you again?"

Jong Dae nodded.

"You know he's just looking out for you, right?"

"But he's so mean! He said it in such a mean voice!" Jong Dae complained. "You weren't there, you wouldn't understand, Min Seok."

"I know you're talented. That's all I need to understand." the dumpling boy said, bringing a small smile to his friend's lips.

"Thanks."

"Don't worry, I'm sure that you'll get better."

Jong Dae nodded slowly. "I guess..."

"Don't give up, you can do it!" Min Seok pinched his friend's cheeks painfully.

"Ow! Whaut awe uo oing?!" Jong Dae reached for Min Seok's chubby cheeks and pulled on it too. The two kept at it for the next while, until their cheeks were red.

"Like I was saying, don't give up. If you really love singing, you should keep at it. I'm sure you can do it."

Jong Dae paused from rubbing his cheeks, and smiled. "Thanks."
 
▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫

"Jong In, can you help me with this?" a black haired boy was struggling with a large paper box. He wobbled around, trying to get it onto the table.

The other boy in the room named Jong In hurried over and took the box from him. He then pushed it onto the tabletop. "You shouldn't be moving such big things by yourself, Kyungsoo."

"It's not heavy. I just couldn't see." Kyungsoo said.

"You could have been hurt." the younger boy reminded him, instinctively the big brother type.

"Okay, I won't anymore," the black haired boy said.

The two sat down on top of a cushion on the ground, and Jong In looked at the other little boy sadly. "You really have to leave now?"

Slowly, hesitantly, Kyungsoo nodded. "Yeah..."

Jong In reached into his pocket and pulled out a small triangle shape connected to a chain. It was a necklace. "Here, I made it for you." He placed it on top of his friend's little palm.

Kyungsoo stared at it, taking in the detailed work Jong In had put in. "You're very talented in metalwork, Jong In." The triangle had what looked like a vortex in the middle, swirling clockwise.

"Thanks. I want you to keep it with you at all times." Jong In instructed seriously.

"I will." Kyungsoo said, just as his mother called his name from downstairs. "I have to go now."

"Bye Kyungsoo..." Jong In's eyes teared up, and he swallowed hard to keep them inside his eyes. "Have fun." He gave a shaky smile.

"Bye, Jong In," Kyungsoo gave his friend one last hug. "I'll remember you forever."

"I'll remember you forever too. Don't you dare forget."

- - - - -
This is a chapter of their childhood. I hope it's not too confusing. Also, I think using their real names doesn't help either... Next chapter will be more exciting (?)

Wu Fan = Kris
Zi Tao = Tao
Joon Myun = Suho
Yi Xing = Lay
Min Seok = Xiumin
Jong Dae = Chen
Jong In = Kai
Kyungsoo = D.O.