"Get lost, just back off/This isn't love" ~JiEun's "Going Crazy"

He's My Teacher!

 

Friday, September 14, 2012

                “Hey Sunshine,” L greeted jokingly as I slammed my locker shut.

                “Oh you’re funny, aren’t ya?” I responded sarcastically, wrinkling my nose at him.

                “I get that a lot,” L shrugged.

                I laughed as we left my locker. “Hey, let’s drop outside for a moment, kay? I wanna know how cold it is outside for track,” I explained.

                He nodded and followed me to the school gates. I turned my face up to the sky, holding my arms out. “So, well informed?” L asked, eyeing me amusedly.

                I turned back to him and nodded, smiling. “No more 100’ days.”

                “You like Winter?” he asked.

                “Of course. Who likes sweating in 90% humidity?” I asked, making a disgusted face at the thought.

                Before L responded I heard a familiar voice; “So we meet again.” L spun around to see who had spoken, but I recognized the voice all too well.

                “Oh…hello,” L greeted awkwardly at the sight of Kai and Krystal.

                Why was she here? She doesn’t go here… “Kai and I were just about to go out. Would you guys like to join us?” she asked, batting her eyelashes at L. “I have a break from training today. I’m an SM trainee,” she informed us.

                And why do we care? I wondered, still reaaallyy hating her annoying, bragging personality. “Sorry, but actually Hyemin and I were on our way to track practice,” L answered.

                “Oh track?! You run?” she asked, trailing a finger down L’s arm.

                “Mm…yeahh…” L muttered, obviously uncomfortable.

                “Kaiii, can we go watch their practice?” she asked Kai, turning on her aegyo. Kai looked like he wanted to turn down the offer, badly, but she took advantage of the silence and pulled on his arm. “Thanks oppaa~ let’s go, guys!” she grinned, giggling. As the four of us walked to the athletic building we gained a lot of stares. Kai and L had their share of female followers but today many more males were tracking our movements, keeping their eyes on Krystal’s body and pretty face. “Kai, will you please introduce us? I don’t even know their names,” she announced suddenly.

                Kai nodded stiffly. “Krystal, this is L, and this is Hyemin. Guys, this is Krystal,” Kai introduced awkwardly.

                “L?” Krystal asked, cocking her head.

                “Myungsoo, he just goes by L,” Kai answered.

                Krystal nodded. “Ahh…how cool,” she grinned at L.

                As we arrived at the track, I turned to Kai and Krystal. “L and I have to go change; we’ll be out momentarily,” I told her as L and I headed into the building.

                “That girl,” L groaned as soon as we were inside.

                “I know, why is she here? And why is she staying? If I weren’t obligated to be here I sure as hell would not be here.”

                “And who the hell is she to Kai? Are they dating? Or freaking siblings?! I can’t tell because she seems to be flirting with everyone.”

                I rolled my eyes, nodding. We split up to get changed, then met back up, heading outside. When we got there we saw Krystal in the center of a group of the track guys, with Kai standing just outside the group, scuffing his toe on the track. I sighed, feeling immensely bad for Kai, no matter how much I did hate the guy…

                “Hey now, quit that, or you’ll mess up your pwiittty shoes,” I told him with a smile. He jumped at my voice, noticing that it was me. In the week we’ve had to work together for ballet we’d grown a sort of teasingly hateful relationship, and normally he’d flick my forehead, or push me or something, then insult me himself. Today he only looked up, gave me the saddest smile I’ve ever seen, then glanced over to Krystal. Seriously, the smile he gave me would be more successful in getting donations than all those abused puppies with the sad music in the background and Sarah McWhatserface’s narration.

                “Hey, kids, let’s go,” Coach Baek barked at the dawdling boys. Marching over to the now-quickly-dispersed crowd he eyed Krystal. “And who are you?” he asked.

                “I’m Krystal,” she responded, giving an angelic smile.

                “What kind of a name is Krystal…” Coach Baek muttered, and for once his awful personality was perfect for the situation. “And why are you here Krystal?”

                Not looking phased at all she answered cheerily, “I’m here with L Oppa and Hyemin Unni.” Since when was I this brat’s “unni?” I exchanged a look with L.

                Coach Baek looked at us. “And why, L Oppa and Hyemin Unni did you bring a guest to track practice?” he barked.

                Oh. Great. If I got in trouble cause of this little I swear—“Uh…she’s just a close friend of ours. Kai and she won’t make any noise or distract us. They just want to watch,” L answered quickly, and I gave him a dumbfounded look. He shrugged and mouthed “later,” so I just trusted him.

                “Fine. Alright. But I better not hear a peep out of you two,” he growled at Kai and Krystal before stalking off.

                “Thanks for back there Oppa!” Krystal grinned, turning to L. He looked very uncomfortable being called Oppa, but he was too nice to say anything about it.

                “Don’t…don’t mention it,” he mumbled before he and I walked over to start practice.

 

                “I had two track practices on Tuesday. I shouldn’t have even needed to be here today,” I groaned when L and I met up after showers.

                L chuckled. “You seem to forget that you missed Monday’s practice.”

                “Oh. I didn’t forget. Just wishful thinking,” I mumbled, and he laughed again. His laugh disappeared when he saw Kai and Krystal standing just outside the doors, waiting for us.

                “Hiii,” she greeted cheerfully. “Oppa you’re so fast! I was getting tired just watching you!” she enthused.

                “Thank you,” L replied.

                “And Unni, you were really good, too! You could keep pace with most of the boys!” she grinned. Not quite sure why she was being nice to me…but whatever, I’ll take it.

                “Thanks,” I responded.

                “So what should we do now?” she asked, full of energy that one is…

                “Krystal, they’re probably tired from practice…” Kai mumbled.

                “Oh, come on, Kai, we can treat them to ice cream or something! To refresh them!”

                L and I exchanged a look, about to refuse, when Kai shot us a look that wouldn’t let us. “Uh…sure. Thanks, Krystal,” I finally responded.

                We walked to the ice cream parlor near the school and Kai paid for all of us. We sort of chatted the whole time, but for me at least it was super awkward. I could hardly believe this was the Kai I had danced with earlier today…

                “So!” Krystal announced as we finished our ice cream and stood up to leave. “I was thinking we could go on a double date tomorrow night!”

                “A what?” I exclaimed, choking on my spit. L looked just as shocked as I did, and even Kai looked mildly surprised.

                “A double date!” Krystal reiterated, smiling. “Hyemin, Kai can take you out and I’ll go with your cousin!”

                “…My…cousin?” I asked, confused. I don’t think she knew my cousin…

                “…L. Your cousin,” she said slowly, looking at me like I was retarded.

                Ooh right, I had let slip that…all…of Infinite were my…cousins…at the mall. I face palmed in my head. “Right! Right, sorry. Yeahh…”

              “Cool! So it’s a date! We’ll pick you up tomorrow around 6:00. Where should we pick you up? Here?” she asked as L and I slowed to a stop in front of Pristine Café.

                “Um...yeah…” I croaked. When I looked at a flash of recognition passed his eyes as he probably connected the first time we met.

                “Great. See you then,” she winked at us as her and Kai continued their walk.

                I snapped my head to L. “What the hell just happened?!”

                L groaned. “I have no ing idea. Does she expect me to pay for her or ? I didn’t even ask her out!”

                “Yeah, well guess who’s going on a date with a guy who hates her?!”

                “Krystal? ‘Cause I’m not so fond of her…” L replied wittily.

                I closed my eyes and sighed at our position. “Think if I break my leg I’ll have to go?”

                “Krystal would probably order the food, off Kai’s credit card of course, and bring the date to us,” L moaned.

                “Yeah, and then it’d be even easier for her to get in your pants…”

                L turned to me, his expression shocked. “Excuse me? I am not a man .”

                I laughed. “Yeah, yeah, save it, L,” I told him jokingly as we reached Café Pristine and headed in.

                “Hey, we’re here,” I called to whoever was home at the moment.

                “Ay, you kids are late!” Youngmin called from the back.

                “Sorry, Oppa,” I responded. He came out, a bit of flour in his red hair. I laughed and swatted it off. “We’re here now, that’s all that matters. We’ll be back down in a few.” L and I went upstairs to change, then came back down.

                Key came out to sit with us. “You guys are fine, Youngmin and I could handle everything,” he reassured us, winking at me.  

                I nodded. “Oppa being lazy as usual…So, anything interesting happen while you were out?” Key asked.

                “Yeah, hear this, Hyung,” L answered before I could give him my usual chorus of “nothing.” Key cocked his head at him. “Tomorrow Hyemin has a date.”

                Key’s eyes popped open. “Park Hyemin you have a date?!”

                “Yah!” I shrieked at L. “Well—well L has a date, too!” I instantly tattle-taled.

                Key’s mouth dropped open. “Kim Myungsoo you have a date?!”

                “It’s a stupid double date neither of us wants to go on,” L replied as Junhyung walked in. By now L already knew how close Junhyung and I were.

                “What? Double date?” he asked, sitting at the counter with us.

                “Our little Hyemin and L are going on a double date tomorrow!” Key squealed.

                “Don’t start!” I groaned. “Like L said before, neither of us wants to go.”

                “Who’s it with?” Junhyung asked.

                “…Kai,” I finally mumbled.

                Junhyung’s eyebrow lifted. “I had no idea you and Kai were…”

                “We’re not!” I instantly corrected him. “We are nothing. He still hates me and I still think he’s an . But his…girl…person set it all up and so now L and I are getting picked up at 6:00 tomorrow…”

                “6:00? Alright…that’s doable…” Key mumbled to himself.

                “Wait…oh no no no no no…Key you do not get to give me a makeover,” I instantly shouted. “It’s not a real date! It really isn’t!”

                Key only smirked devilishly. “Let Momma Key take care of you.”