Chapter 9

IU multi-tasking between school life and idol life

 


Hate you eheheheheh
I'm fine living without you
I Hate you eheheheheh
I'm fine living without you

Rin POV

I am memorising lyrics of a song. Well, I am bored alone in the practice room. The weather is hot as if I’m in Sahara desert so no one would play sports with me even if I forced them to.

“AH!! Been a week of finding instruments and there is no luck!!” I yelled I the practice room alone while throwing the tennis ball angrily at the wall.

What? You are asking why I didn’t call the rest for band practice... Well, let me ask you back, without bass and drum and keyboards and the only thing left is my guitar, only I get to practice. So its best let them spend some time with their friends.

*knock knock*

“Oh, Jieun. What are you doing here?”

“erm… I came here to hangout.” Said Jieun while sitting beside me.

“Hangout? Well, you came to the wrong place. Suzy and the others are with their classmates for school project.

“I…er…what if I help you guys to find back your instruments?” Jieun suggested. Well, something I never expect.

“We gave up. We have searched the whole school for a week and nothing found.” I said as I got up and grab my guitar.

“But, are you really giving up just like that?” Jieun said out of the blues.

“I am not giving up. We’ll get a new one next month. Until then, we won’t have band practice. We’ll just do sports. That is if the weather allows.” I said with no expression. Almost looked as if I didn’t even care. The look on Jieun seriously is killing me deep down. She looked sad and disappointed.

IU’s POV

Whole week I did not see Rin at all. She did came to school. Just that I only see her five minutes one day and the rest of the six days I only see him running around searching for the instrument and the other student’s stuff.

As I was walking, I didn’t realise I reached the practice room.

 

 

-Flashback-

“Jieun-ah~” I heard Suzy’s voice called my name when I was on the way to the cafeteria.

“Ah, Suzy. What’s up?” I asked while smiling.

“Rin-unnie said band practice is temporary on halt until we get our instruments.” Suzy said

“So, we don’t need to go to the practice room?”

Suzy’s POV (still from the flashback)

I told Jieun that band practice is on halt temporarily. I thought she’d be happy coz we’d have time to go shopping and such. But I was wrong. Those look. It’s not a smile. It’s sadness. Almost looked like I crushed her ….. Hope on something.

“er.. Jieun. Are you alright?” I asked seeing Jieun spaced out looking at the floor.

“I’m fine.” Jieun said forcing a smile and walked ahead of me.

“Am I thinking too much?”

“Yah, Jieun. Wait up!!” I ran to her and we walked together to the nearby mall.

-END OF FLASHBACK-

 

I was about to walk away.

“AH!! Been a week of finding instruments and there is no luck!!” The voice who said this sentence stopped me from walking away.

I decided to knock on the door and enter nervously.

“Oh, Jieun. What are you doing here?” Rin asked while sitting up and looked at me. My heart is… racing? Seriously? Oh man…

“erm… I came here to hangout.” I said bluntly. I try to be as normal as possible. Seriously I didn’t know what to answer. I did not plan all these and it happened. I just hoped to see her.

“Hang out? Well, you came to the wrong place. Suzy and the others are with their classmates for school project.

(At this state, awkward silence is gonna surround us. C’mon, think!!)(IU)

“I…er…what if I help you guys to find back your instruments?” I suggested. I really want to do it. Even I don’t know how.

“We gave up. We have searched the whole school for a week and nothing found.” That answered has a big impact. I just joined them. Waiting for a chance to perform together with them. But because of the thief it won’t happen. For the first time I felt angered by a stranger.

“But, are you really giving up just like that?” I asked again. Half praying to God that Rin would give me other answer. Knowing Rin, she is not the type to just give up like that. That is also one thing why I liked her.

“I am not giving up. We’ll get a new one next month. Until then, we won’t have band practice. We’ll just do sports. That is if the weather allows.” Rin said while tuning her guitar strings.. Her tone sounds calm. But I know she is eager to do band practice. I see her passion in music when on the stage few weeks ago. Her charisma exploded more on stage.

“Now if you’d please..I am gonna practice awhile.” Rin’s voice snapped me back to reality.

“C-can I see you practice?” I asked hoping she’d allow.

“Alright. But if you get bored, don’t put the blame on me.” I nodded happily and sat back.

[Song: SNSD – Etude]

listen to my words
girl, please let him know

girl, listen carefully to what i say
for this moment that you've waited so long for
i know why. Your y image,
your childlike purity.. show them all

oh no. talk a little louder
yes, right. Sometimes like a girl
be careful in everything you do

why are you like that. your mistake-filled, awkward actions and words
your charm, none of it is showing. (listen)
show yourself, filled with your lovable cuteness and smile
just like we practiced.. so he'll fall for you, by your side

girl, show him well, even little things like fashion
be lovable, and not awkward
makeup to complement your pale skin
don't put on too much. Lightly, vaguely

oh no. heavy perfume is prohibited
yes, right. Sometimes like a lady
so you can steal all the gazes

why are you like that. Your mistake-filled, awkward actions and words
your charm, none of it is showing. (Listen)
show yourself, filled with your lovable cuteness and smile
just like we practiced.. So he'll fall for you, by your side

if he's hooked, send him a sweet look
and let your soft hands lightly touch him

that's it. Your perfect actions and words that can melt anything
he's going to fall for your lovable charm (feel it)
girl, please let him know your everything.. Little by little, slowly, show him
just like we practiced... So he'll fall for you, by your side.

 

“The song sounds like telling me what to do.” I thought.

As time passes, I didn’t realise.

 

[Song: SNSD - Genie]

Yes, I love you. Trust me anytime. Dreams, passion, I want to give them to you.
I am a girl that wants to grant your wish. Tell me your wish!
I love you. I’m your Music. I love you. You’re my Joy.
I love you. I want to be your good fortune.
(Tell me your fantasy without hiding it, I’m a Genie, I’ll show you the way
Tell me the wishes that you hold without hiding it, I’m your Genie, ill grant them)

That second, I thought she is singing to me. What is wrong with me?!

 

Rin’s POV

If she is my fan, I’d say she is the most passionate one I ever seen. She is seriously focusing on the lyrics so much.

*knock knock*

“Sorry to interrupt your practice but Rin-sshi, the headmaster would like to see you in his office.”  A student said from the door.

“Alright. I’ll meet him. Thanks.” I said and winked at her. That student blushed and closed the door. Don’t get me wrong, part of fan-service.

“Jah~ see you later after I see the head master.” I said and make my way out after she nods.

 

IU’s POV

While waiting for Rin, I chatted in Daum chatroom with Baby Elephant Suzy and Baby Dino Jiyeon. I told them that headmaster requested to see RIn so I am alone in the practice room. Both of them said they’ll bring some snacks over. So we ended the chat.

*knock knock*

I jumped up delightly coz I thought it’s Rin. I was taken aback when I see the student with short hair.

“erm. Annyeonghaseyo. I’m here to join the club.” The student said politely.

“Erm.. The club president is not here right now, would you like to wait for her? She went to the headmaster’s office.” I said politely. The girl nodded. We sat in the middle of the practice room.

“ANNYEONG JIEUN-AH!!” I heard a familiar voice shouted while the door flung open.

“Yah Jiyeon. Keep it down. We have a guest.” I said while having my hands covering Jiyeon’s mouth.

“mmm..mm?”

“what?” I ask curiously.

“Jieun-ah, let go of your hand or else she may die.” Krystal said jokingly. I hurriedly let go. I doesn’t want to kill my own buddy.

“Who is she?” asked Jiyeon.

“No idea. She said she want to join the club.”

“Where is Rin then?” asked Krystal while looking around.

“Headmaster’s office.” I answered shortly.

END OF POVs

 

Krystal, Suzy and Jiyeon sat infront of the new-soon-to-be-member. Though slight chances she will be accepted.

“Why I didn’t see you before?” Krystal asked coldly putting on a senior image.

“I-I j-just transferred.” The student said nervously. Probably afraid of the three seniors in front of her.

“So what’s your name?” asked Jiyeon.

The student did not respond.

“Yah, are you blushing?” Asked Suzy bluntly.

“ah? Nonono… I am not.” The student denied.

“You still haven’t answered me yet. What…Is.. Your..Name?”

“H-Ham Eun Jung.”

Then, Rin came back looking moodless.

“Yah, when Rin went out how was her mood?” Jiyeon whispered.

“Her mood was bright.” Jieun whispered back.

“But how come she came back like a zombie?” Suzy asked suddenly from behind them. It gives them a shock of their life.

“Yah, You want us getting heart attack?!” Jieun said as she hit Suzy’s arm.

“If you had heart attack, you won’t be able to hit me like you did.” Teased Suzy.

“Erm.. u-unnie..” Krystal said nervously.

“Who are you?” RIn asked coldly to Eunjung.

“I’m here to apply to join the club.” Eunjung answered.

“hmmm….” Rin stared at her.

“RIn is staring at her.. oh my god. Full focus. That girl is not gonna survive.” Jiyeon,Suzy and Krystal whispered among one another.

“Leave your bag,stand up and turn around.” RIn ordered. Eunjung just followed.

Rin is in deep thought as Eunjung did the actions she asked to.

“As you see, we have guitarist..” RIn said and put her hand on her chest

“… a bassist” Rin points to Krystal

“…and a keyboard” Rin points to Suzy.

“Oh, and Jieun is our vocalist and guitarist. So, what other skills other than our skills you have?” RIn asked in a serious tone.

“Why Rin so serious now?” Krystal whispered to Jiyeon.

“Probably the headmaster told her something about the club. Her mood totally changed when she came back,right?” Jiyeon whispered back. All of them watching nervously.

“erm .. I can rap.” Eunjung said.

“Show me.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giitAf-03jQ  <-----click to hear Eunjung’s rap

“hmmm….” RIn in deep thoughts

“H-how did I do?” Eunjung asked nervously.

“You’re accepted.” Rin said while offering a handshake. Eunjung take that hand.

“HEH?!!” the rest was shocked.

“Welcome to the club.”

“Jiyeonie, pinch me.”

Jiyeon pinched Krystal hard.

“OUCH!! Fine.. not a dream.” Krystal yelped and rubbed her arm where Jiyeon pinched.

“Alright! Meeting.” RIn called. The others immediately gathered in the middle of the room.

“We always had performance anywhere we are called. Our club is quite special. Not everybody would get accepted. I hope you can make it to every of our meetings and practices. And, besides playing as band, we’d dance and sing like other idol groups. Rules, be polite to fans under any circumstances. We are called the Ice Mage. And since you’re one of us now, we’ll tell you our motivation cheer routine every time before we go up on stage.” RIn explained every single detail.

“unnie, can I ask?” Suzy waits for permission. Rin nods.

“What happened in the headmaster’s office?” now all attention on Rin.

“Nothing.” RIn answered shortly.

“What’s nothing? You were moodless when you came back.” Suzy protested.

Rin sighed.

“Fine. Kids, sit. I’ll tell everything.” Rin said. The others sat in a circle to listen to the story including Jieun and Eunjung.

-Flashback-

“You club has not enough member. “The head master started.

“WHAt? We have exactly five members!!” Rin protested.

“Jieun is not counted. Even if she is in the band, her name is not in any list. We made an exception for her whether or not to join. Because she may not be able to attend every meeting.”

“But she attended every of our club meetings!!” Rin shouted.

“I don’t care!! Get your club a new member or else it will be abolished!!” the headmaster shouted and threw a krystal ball at RIn. Luckily RIn managed to avoid it. The krystal ball shattered by the force it hit the wall.

“Oh and, you all will be representing in a band competition in two weeks’ time. Win for the school again like you always do.”

“But our instruments are stolen, we can’t practice nor perform. How are we supposed to win?!!” Rin asked.

“You’ll figure it out. I trust you.” The headmaster said.

-END OF FLASHBACK-

“So now we have to find our instruments as soon as possible?” Suzy said feeling moodless.

“We can buy new ones but we’ll have to work to get the amount of money for all set.” Krystal said the obvious.

“And if we work, we have no time for practice. We’ll still end up losing the competition.” Jiyeon said bringing more pain to the others.

“I’ll find a way. Trust me.” Jieun suddenly said. Everybody shock at the sudden response. But somehow, RIn felt hope in her. It’s as if she is always there whenever the team needs a glimpse of hope.

*Ding dong deng ding*

“Jah~ We’ll see you all tomorrow. School has ended.” Rin announced.

“Unnie,we’ll be accompanying Jieun to the mall. We will be home before dinner.” Jiyeon said in aegyo. RIn nodded and they left.

Eunjung is taking her bag and glimpse at the whole place. She did not observe the place well when she came coz she was stung by many questions from Jiyeon, Krystal and Suzy.

“Eunjung-sshi.” RIn called while approaching her.

“Our instruments are stolen so please do be patience. I see that you’re good in rap. When we get back our instruments, let’s work together.” RIn said with a smile. Yeap, her mood is better. Eunjung smiled and nodded.

Eunjung POV

When the three girls entered, it was chaos. Suddenly the atmosphere turned serious as they were questioning me like I’m a criminal. The tense atmosphere is nerve-wrecking. When the president came it’s far worst. She was staring at me. I thought I was about to die of heart attack.

“I-I can rap.” I said when the president ask what other things I can do as all normal positions can be found in the band is full.”

“Show me”

The president was so strict that time. I nearly break down and cry. But I told myself I can’t give up now. So I rapped.

“You’re accepted.” The president said after a deep thinking a long time. I nearly cried of happiness I’ve always been waiting for that word...

I felt sad after knowing that they’ve lost their instruments and the headmaster puts them up on stage without solving their problems first. I was really worried.

“Eunjung-sshi.” RIn called me when I was taking my bag.

“Our instruments are stolen so please do be patience. I see that you’re good in rap. When we get back our instruments, let’s work together alright?” RIn said to me with a smile.

“Wow. She’s much more friendly and gentle than a while ago.” I thought. I smiled and nodded to RIn in response. We exit the practice room together.

 

IU’s POV

“You said ‘leave it to you.’ Do you have any plans?” Suzy asked me.

“Well, honestly I had one idea. But it’s still a question whether they will agree or not.” I said.

“They? Who is ‘they’? Wait, what’s your idea?” This time, Jiyeon questioned.

“I’ll let you know when it succeeded.” I answered shortly.

 

To: Manager-oppa

I need the band room for two weeks. My friends’ instrument is stolen and we have competition in two weeks. We need to practice there.

“Yah, you can’t be serious. Your plan is to let us practice in Loen’s band room?” Jiyeon shrieked after she read the message I sent to Manager-oppa. More to snatched away my phone after I sent it.