CHAPTER 10

IU multi-tasking between school life and idol life

 

-FLASHBACK-
To: Manager-oppa
I need the band room for two weeks. My friends’ instrument is stolen and we have competition in two weeks. We need to practice there.


“Yah, you can’t be serious. Your plan is to let us practice in Loen’s band room?” Jiyeon shrieked after she read the message I sent to Manager-oppa. More to snatched away my phone after I sent it.

“You will get in trouble with your company if they finds out.” Krystal said worriedly.

-----------------

“Oppa, please~ I really need the band room...~ Oppa~” IU pleaded bugging her manager.

“You know the rules, Jieun. No strangers allowed in the building.” Her manager replied frustrated.

“Oppa, they’re not strangers. They’re my friends. Please Oppa, It’s only for 2 weeks. Please please please please please~” IU pleaded while following her manager wherever he goes.

“FINE! Two weeks.” Manager oppa said; finally gave up.  IU hugged her manager happily.

---------------

-Two days ago-

(Practice room)

“Ah~ it’s been two days since we are looking for a place complete with instruments and no luck.” Said Krystal while lying on the floor.

“Don’t give up. We will find a place for practice.” Said Rin optimistically trying to encourage her younger ones.

“But unnie...” Krystal muttered.

“Guys Guys, I’ve found a place for practice.” Jieun said excitedly when the door flung open.

“Seriously? Where?” Rin asked excitedly.

“You’ll know it when we arrive there.” Jieun said proudly.

-Back to present-

“Wow. This is Loen building?” Rin said while staring at the building in front of her.

“Are you sure we can practice here?” Jiyeon asked worriedly. Jieun nod with a smile assuring there is no problem at all. And they entered the building.

“Yah, Eunjung. Aren’t you coming?” Rin asked Eunjung who is still standing still amazed at the sight of the building.

Jieun lead them to the band room.

“Wow. This is HUGE”

“Alright, let’s start with Heart To Heart” Rin said.

__________

D-12

They’re still having trouble to find Eunjung a part in other song that is suitable for her voice. Well, not all songs they will perform have rap parts. So other than rap, Eunjung needs other parts as well.

“Seriously, what part in these songs can Eunjung perform since there are no raps?”  Krystal sighed when staring at the music sheets in front of her.

D-7

In school… Afternoon…

“My goodness. Ice Mages are all falling asleep in class.” A student whispered.

“Yeah. They must be tired practice all night long and searching for their instrument in the mornings.” Another student whispered.

“Ice Mage lost their instruments? How are they gonna perform in the competition?” Fei thought as she walks down the corridor.

At night.. Loen building..

“Alright, let’s practice!!” Rin said. Suddenly a man came in by the door.

“Jieun-sshi.” The man called. Jieun was shocked to see that guy. She quickly walked towards the guy pushing him out and closed the door behind her.

IU POV

“Oppa. Didn’t I say don’t disturb us? We need to practice.”

“But you haven’t been practicing for a week. You have a vocal test coming too if you remember.”

“Yes I remember. Practicing with them is still a practice. They can’t practice without a member. We all have our own parts.” I said hoping he would understand.

“I understand. But Jieun-ah, the boss is inferior knowing you let your friends into use the band room. If he knows you did not practice your songs because you’re practicing with them, who knows what will happen?” Manager oppa said in a worried tone.

“But oppa, it’s just another 7 days before the competition.  Erm.. Oppa, what if we borrow the instruments set for competition. Can we?”

“WHAT?! No way.. These are all expensive stuffs. Sorry Jieun. This I can’t promise you.”Oppa said.

“Then let me practice with them.”

“Didn’t they know you’re an idol? Why are you involved in them anyway? They’re only using you.” Oppa asked in a serious tone. I felt anger rushing through my blood hearing the last sentence.

“No oppa. Most of them know who I am except for the leader. They’re not using me, oppa. I know it. I felt their sincerity whenever they are around me. I just want to experience as a student. “

RIN POV

I walked near the door coz Jieun went out too long. I opened the door slowly. When the door is agape, I heard Jieun’s voice.

 “But oppa, it’s just another 7 days before the competition.  Erm.. Oppa, what if we borrow the instruments set for competition. Can we?” I was shocked hearing Jieun voiced out request for instruments.

“WHAT?! No way.. These are all expensive stuffs. Sorry Jieun. This I can’t promise you.”the man said. Hearing his tone,he is shocked as well.

“Then let me practice with them.”

(Because of us,…. Great .. now I’m guilty. Jieun is.. such a good friend.)(RIN)

“Didn’t they know you’re an idol? Why are you involved in them anyway? They’re only using you.” That man said in a serious tone.

“Who am I kidding. She is and idol. For sure he would think that way.” I thought.

“No oppa. Most of them know who I am except for the leader. They’re not using me, oppa. I know it. I felt their sincerity whenever they are around me. I just want to experience as a student.  And they are my friends. BEST FRIENDS.“ I heard Jieun said that, I was taken aback by my own thoughts.

“She just.. defended us?” I thought.

With guilty feeling, I go towards the members. I sat in a corner alone. The members came towards me.

“Unnie, are you alright?” Jiyeon asked. I kept silent.

“Eunjung-sshi, you know who Jieun really is right?”

“huh? Er. Yeah, she is nation’s little sister.” Eunjung answered with a confused expression.

I sighed loudly.

“Unnie, what’s wrong? Stop scaring us.” Krystal said while shaking me.

“Remember I said that I’ll pretend that I don’t know Jieun’s idol identity?” I asked. I see the others nodding. Eunjung just sat quietly and just listen to our conversation.

“Well, I guess now I need to reveal it now.” I said.

“What? Why?”

 

Krystal POV

RIn walking weakly like… a jellyfish. She sat in a corner. The last time we saw her like that was when her parents, no.. OUR parents gone in a fire.  We all got worried and we went to her. We asked her what happened. She was silent. Staring into space.

“Eunjung-sshi, you know who is Jieun right?” Rin suddenly asked Eunjung. We were shock by that question.

“Remember I said that I’ll pretend that I don’t know Jieun’s idol identity?” I asked. I see the others nodding. Eunjung just sat quietly and just listen to our conversation.

“Well, I guess now I need to reveal it now.” I said.

 “Do you know that Jieun bugged her manager for hours to get hold of this room for us? The president of Loen event nagged her for it and even scolded her manager for being soft. And now, she doesn’t want to go for her practice because she knows we can’t practice perfectly with one missing member. She have exam coming near. Not just that. She even requested to her manager to borrow us these equipment for our competition.” RIn explained. We were shocked. We didn’t know Jieun went through so much to book this place for us.

“And, most hilarious was…. Jieun defended us when her manager thought that we be-friend with her just to use her. I thought she would stay quiet or thought the same way but she defended us.” RIn said while having a laugh. Laughing at herself that is. We looked at one another with unreadable expression. But definitely one thing in mind “Jieun helped us so much and we didn’t know.”

Then, Jieun came in with a cheerful expression.

“Jieun-sshi, how do you manage to book this place?” suddenly RIn asked seriously.

We were shocked. “It’s started.” We all thought and watched them nervously.

 

RIN POV

Have to reveal. But the problem is… HOW?

“Jieun-sshi. How do you manage to book this place?”

“erm.. I-I am a trainee here.”

“Don’t you have vocal practice as a trainee?”

“Not for today.”

“STOP IT!! THAT’S ENOUGH!!” I exploded. I can’t bare the guilty feeling anymore.

“Er..unnie..  Drink some cold water before continu-ing.” Krystal said while shoving the cold water into my mouth.

“Yeah. Relax. Chill first unnie.” Jiyeon said while hugging me. Her hug always works.

“Come Jieun. We’ll sit and talk this out.” Suzy said to Jieun and brings her closer to us and we sat in a circle. Including Eunjung who wasn’t even there in the first place.

The atmosphere was heavy.

After I managed to relax myself,I took a deep breath and I continued with my speech. It’s hard task for me. But for everybody’s sake, guess this is the only way.

“We know you nearly got into trouble for helping us. Booking this place for us, and also practicing with us all day long neglecting your practice organised by your company. Well, since this seems like a 5-minute talk session, we’ll make it into the session. Jieun-ah, actually I knew you are the nation’s niece. By now I bet you knew I hate liars. But after hearing the reason why you chose not to tell me anything, I decided to go with it. I knew idols are hard to be treated like normal even they made mistakes. I can totally understand you. So even if I get bash for the way I treat you, as long you have a great experience in school, I don’t mind. So I am not mad. But today, please don’t neglect your practice organised by your company for us. I know competition is near, but your vocal is no joke. Even if you didn’t practice with us for once or twice, it’s fine.”

IU POV

Hearing what RIn said, I was in the midst of crying.

“So that’s why you always release me from the club exactly the travel time I needed to attend my schedules?” I asked.

“One of it. I hate guilt okay. Now this guilt is larger than causing you to be late for your schedule.” Rin said.

“Now do everyone a favour. I know you have practice now so go. We’ll be here.” Rin said in a strict tone.

I kept silent and bursted into tears.

“Yah. Don’t get me wrong. I just don’t want you to neglect anything because of us. “ Rin said as she hug me.

“Jieun-ah, I mean… IU…”

“Just call me Jieun as usual.” I said and gave a weak smile. I heard the others sighed in relieve.

 

RIN POV

“Now do everyone a favour. I know you have practice now so go. We’ll be here.” I said strictly hoping she would leave for her practice.

I almost got a heart attack when I heard some sobbing.

“Yah. Don’t get me wrong. I just don’t want you to neglect anything because of us. “I said while hugging her. What? It’s my natural reflects to comfort a cry-baby..

“Jieun-ah, I mean… IU…”

“Just call me Jieun as usual.” She said while giving me a weak smile. I felt relieved seeing that smile. I wiped her tears with my handkerchief. The tense atmosphere loosened a bit. But soon, her smile turned to frown again.

“Y-yah. What’s with that face?”

“I guess you will treat me differently now...”

“Huh?”

“Coz you already know who I really am.” Jieun said sadly.

I smiled.

 “Yeah. Slightly different.” I said.

Jieun pouts at my response.

(Time to change the mood)

“I’ll treat you slightly better. But still will punish you as usual.” I said and smirked proudly.

“Huh? Yah! You teased me?!!”

Jieun chased me trying to hit me with the toy hammer. I ran at full-speed around the room. The others laughed at our gags.

------------------

Jieun went for her practice. More to exchange conditions.

She tells her manager she will practice for 2 days. And the rest of the days, she will practice with us to get prepared for the competitions. Well, her determination is unstoppable.

“Unnie, how are we going to perform without the sets of instruments?” Jiyeon said while clinging on me.

“Don’t worry. We’ll figure it out…” I said while hugging Jiyeon.

“Will we even find it in time?”I thought