EunHae Part IV: Goodbye for now Hae. You came from the sea, so you'll return to the sea

Heaven's Boys

 

“So you’ve been with Donghae for six months now,” Kyuhyun smirked as he sipped on his cocktail.

 

“Don’t remind me Cho Kyuhyun,” Eunhyuk lamented. 

 

“Why?” Kyuhyun teased. “Are you regretting it?”

 

“You’re so lucky to get Sungmin. He’s such a kind, nice, thoughtful and caring boyfriend. At least he’s not clingy and needy like Hae. What did I do to have such bad luck?” Eunhyuk bemoaned.

 

“Sungmin has his quirks too. He’s not that perfect. I can go on with a whole list of flaws. For example, he likes pink and I think that’s a girly colour. I’m not that perfect too. I’m rude and sarcastic. But both of us find a way to accommodate one another. It takes a while. I’m sure you and Donghae can do that,” Kyuhyun encouraged.

 

“I really don’t know. Donghae drives me crazy at times,” Eunhyuk griped. “He gets jealous when I get too close to my female students. I don’t touch them inappropriately or something, but sometimes I have to get their posture right so I do have some physical contact with them. That’s my job! He got angry that I kept a photo I had taken with my ex. Lee Ji-eun. And there was once when he saw my stash of magazines, he got so worked up and cried that he wasn’t able to give me enough pleasure that I have to resort to looking at to get off. I told him those magazines were bought long ago before we had gotten together. But he refused to believe me, tore them and threw those away. And he could call the school every now and then and asks if I had eaten and all that. Sometimes he won’t let me goes out with my other girl friends. The only friends he is okay with me meeting are you and Sungmin.”

 

“He really cares for you Eunhyuk. Aren’t you happy?”

 

“But I want some space,” Eunhyuk begrudged. “Recently we had an argument and he ended up crying again. He’s too emotional and a cry baby. He wanted me to move in with him since his place is big enough for both of us. He said that it’ll save me on my rental and that we would be able to see other every day. But I told him I need my space. But this gets him crying and complaining that I don’t care about him and breaking my promise not to leave him alone.”

 

“He just likes company. You see how he clings to my Sungmin when they get together? I can’t even pry Sungmin apart because he would leech onto Sungmin again.”

 

“I know. But I need my space.”

 

“Then you should speak to him about him.”

 

“He might have the body of a twenty-something, but he has the maturity of a primary school kid or maybe even lower,” Eunhyuk groaned.

 

“That’s Donghae for you. But there is where his charm lies. He’s rather innocent.”

 

“I know,” Eunhyuk sighed.  “And I like him for who he is.”

 

“So what do you intend to do about it? Will you move in with him?”

 

“I guess,” Eunhyuk shrugged. “He’s been so upset that I refused to move in that he hardly smiles these days.” 

 

“Then what about your personal space?”

 

“I guess I’ll have to talk to him about it.”

 

……

 

“Hae?”

 

“Ne?” Donghae replied lazily. He wasn’t his usual smiley and cheery self. His shoulders were drooping; he was hunched as he looked at the ground.

 

They were walking back to Donghae’s apartment after having supper and they had turned into a secluded back alley as a short cut.

 

“I’ve been thinking a bit,” Eunhyuk said. “I’ve decided to move in with you.”

 

“Really?” Donghae’s eyes lit up as he responded excitedly and he lifted his head. A smile returned to his face. “When are you doing to move in? Are you going to move in right away?”

 

“Wait a minute. I haven’t finished,” Eunhyuk said. “I have two conditions. Firstly I have to give my landlord one month’s notice. So the earliest I can move in would be next month.”

 

Donghae pouted.

 

“And you need to learn to give me and respect my personal space. And that means you don’t have to keep on calling the dance school just to check on me. You don’t need require me having to report my whereabouts to you all the time, and allowing me to go out with my other friends – both male and female – apart from Sungmin and Kyuhyun,” Eunhyuk huffed.

 

Donghae paused in his tracks. “Hyukkie doesn’t like Hae anymore?”

 

Eunhyuk used his palms to cup Donghae’s pouting cheeks. “Don’t get me wrong Hae. I love you very much. But sometimes I feel really stifled by you. I would like to spend time with my other friends too.”

 

“So Hyukkie doesn’t like spending time with Hae?”

 

“I do. But my other friends want to spend time with me. And it’s only right that I should spend time with them. They’ve known be for ages and have been supportive of me,” Eunhyuk explained. “You could go out with your other friends too.”

 

“But Hae doesn’t have anyone else in this world other than Hyukkie,” Donghae whimpered.

 

“What about your colleagues and ex-schoolmates?”

 

“I…I…”

 

“Hae, it’s unhealthy to cling onto me. If something bad happens to me, what will you do?”

 

There was a look of horror on Donghae’s eyes as he shook his head. Donghae looked as though he was to burst out crying.

 

“Ok, nothing would happen to me. I’m just saying ‘what if’.”

 

Donghae responded by giving Eunhyuk a hug.

 

“But Hae, would you let me have my space if I move in with you? I mean I also need a small place in your apartment where I can be by myself and to rest alone at times, to clear my head. You understand what I’m saying? Even Sungmin and Kyuhyun have their own space for another.”

 

But Donghae remained silent.

 

“I know you feel insecure and that you hate loneliness and that you like to be around people. But sometimes you need to be alone to think and reflect,” Eunhyuk reasoned.

 

“Hyukkie, is having your personal space that important to you?”

 

“It is.”

 

“Alright then,” Donghae pouted. “I’ll agree to it. I’ll try hard not to be so clingy. It would be difficult but I’ll try.”

 

“Thank you Hae. I love you,” Eunhyuk smiled as he shared a long and deep passionate kiss with Donghae.

 

“We need to go shopping for your move,” Donghae said as they carried on their walk towards Donghae’s place with their fingers entwined and Donghae resting his head on Eunhyuk’s shoulder.

 

Just then they came across a group of five rather muscular men.  

 

“Aigoo, what do we have here?” one of them snickered as they walked past Donghae and Eunhyuk. “Two male s who let their s get ed.”

 

“Come on Hae, let’s hurry,” Eunhyuk whispered into Donghae as they quickened their pace only to be blocked by two of hoodlums. Eunhyuk and Donghae tried to turn back but found their paths to be blocked by the other men.

 

“What do you want? If it is money that you want, take it and leave us alone,” Eunhyuk growled.

 

“Why do we want to use the money of faggots?” the men all spat on the ground. “We don’t want your money. We just want to have some fun with you.”

 

The men then slowly advanced in and backed Donghae and Eunhyuk up onto a wall. Donghae then shouted suddenly, “Help! Help!”

 

One of the men stepped forward and was about to swing a punch at Donghae when Eunhyuk stepped in front of Donghae to shield him earning him a blow in the stomach. This caused Donghae to stop crying for help as he stuttered, “Hyukkie…Hyukkie…are you fine?”

 

“So you want to protect this boy of yours?” another of the men snarled. “Aigoo! That’s so manly of you. But if you’re that manly you should be ing instead of !”

 

“You gays are disgusting. Instead of ing , you s and let your s get ed. What a waste of ! You’re worse than animals. At least animals know how to the other . You’re below the dignity of animals. You’re worse than animals!” a third man mocked.

 

“You gays don’t deserve a place on this earth. Go and die!” the fourth man cursed.

 

They five men started to kick and rein heavy punches at Donghae and Eunhyuk relentlessly. Eunhyuk tried his best to shield Donghae from the blows but they came in hard and fast as both of them curled up on the ground. Just then, one of the men found a huge piece of wood and was aiming at Eunhyuk’s legs. Donghae saw what was about to happen. He quickly threw himself at Eunhyuk’s legs only to end up being hit hard on his head.

 

This angered the assailant as he raised the bat and battered Donghae all over his body when one of the five shouted at the man to stop when he noticed Donghae was bleeding. Alarmed, they quickly scuttled off from the scene but not before sending one more kick to Eunhyuk and Donghae.

 

“Choi, come on, let’s go!” one of them shouted. “Before we get caught.”

 

Eunhyuk crawled to Donghae’s side and shook Donghae who looked unconscious and whose eyes were shut.

 

“Hae, ireona,” Eunhyuk said with a shaky tone.

 

“Hae, ireona,” he shook the boy lightly. Noticing the blood on Donghae’s head and Donghae’s battered and bruised face and body, Eunhyuk broke down in tears. “Hae, ireona, ppalli ireona, je-bal. Open your eyes. Don’t sleep anymore. Nuneul ttu-myeon. Open your eyes and look at me.”

 

Getting no response from his lover, Eunhyuk stood up slowly though the pain that was rippling throughout his body brought him crashing to his knees. Gritting his teeth, Eunhyuk stooped down to lift Donghae onto his back before rising slowly. Half-limping, half-staggering down the alley, Eunhyuk asked Donghae, “Why were you so silly? Why did you have to protect me? Even if I had injured my legs and can’t dance anymore, that’s fine with me. As long as you’re with me. As long as we’re all fine. Nothing matters. Dancing doesn’t matter to me. I just want you to be fine Hae. You cannot die. You mustn’t die. So hang in there.”

 

 

Eunhyuk finally arrived at the main road before he collapsed with exhaustion onto the pavement with curious onlookers surrounding them.

 

……

 

Eunhyuk blinked and opened his eyes. He was momentarily disoriented and couldn’t see clearly. He didn’t realise that his eyes were swollen and thus distorting his vision a little.

 

Am I dead? Am I in heaven? Where’s Hae? Is he fine? But I can feel myself breathing, so that means I’m not dead yet.

 

“Hyung,” he heard a familiar voice call out to him. He tried to open his eyes further to take a better look at the owner of the voice.

 

“Kyuhyun-ah,” Eunhyuk said weakly. “You’re here.”

 

Eunhyuk tried to lift himself up but a wave of pain ripple through his body. Kyuhyun told him to lie down and rest a bit more. But his mind had other concerns apart from his own well being. 

 

“Hae,” he asked in a trembling voice. “Is he dead.”

 

Kyuhyun hesitated for a while and Eunhyuk immediately caught on this uncertainty. This doesn’t look good. Don’t tell me Hae is already…

 

“Donghae hyung isn’t dead.”

 

This got Eunhyuk’s hopes up that Donghae would be fine just like himself (Eunhyuk) but Kyuhyun’s pause couldn’t make him wonder whether that the next line would start with a ‘But’. 

 

“But…but…but,” the eloquent Kyuhyun was suddenly tongue-tied. “Perhaps you should see him for yourself. Let me ask the nurse if you’re fine enough to move. Give me a minute or two.”

 

Kyuhyun wheeled Eunhyuk into Donghae’s ward. Sungmin was there standing at the foot of the bedside crying. Eunhyuk signalled for Kyuhyun to stop the wheelchair at where Sungmin was. Sungmin then helped Eunhyuk out of the wheelchair uttering the likes of, “Be careful. You’re hurt yourself.”

 

Eunhyuk noticed that Donghae was being hooked to some medical equipment as he inched closer to face Donghae. Donghae was in a patient’s gown, and was swathed in bandages from head, face, arms, legs and body. His eyes were puffy and eyes swollen. There were visible bruises on his face and on his arms.

 

He stretched out his now shaking hand to caress Donghae’s battered face as he wept silently. Meanwhile, Kyuhyun wrapped his arm round Sungmin’s waist to comfort him. After a while, Eunhyuk turned around to face the KyuMin couple and asked in a rasp tone, “What’s wrong with Hae?”

 

Sungmin began to wail uncontrollably. Eunhyuk raised his voice, “Tell me. What’s wrong with Hae?”

 

Kyuhyun took a deep breath and tried to open his mouth to speak but no words escaped his mouth as his tears began to fall too.

 

Eunhyuk was getting agitated by the minute. “Cho Kyuhyun, Lee Sungmin, what’s wrong with Hae?”

 

“He’s…he’s brain dead,” Kyuhyun choked.

 

Donghae had suffered head trauma. His arteries were torn and it flooded his brain with blood. Donghae was never going to make it. It would take a miracle even for him to wake.  

 

Eunhyuk nearly collapsed onto the ground with shock but Kyuhyun rushed over to support Eunhyuk from falling.

 

“Tell me this isn’t true Cho Kyuhyun! Tell me this isn’t true!”

 

……

 

“Hyung, are you sure you want to do it?” Kyuhyun asked for the umpteenth time.

 

Eunhyuk nodded his head silently.

 

“Can you bear to do it?”

 

Eunhyuk only nodded his head. He was in a daze.

 

“You know this will be the end of everything.”

 

Eunhyuk only nodded his head again.

 

“Maybe there might be a miracle,” Kyuhyun encouraged. “Do you want to talk to the doctor one more time?”

 

Eunhyuk shook his head.

 

“Okay then. I’ll go get the doctor.” Kyuhyun left Donghae’s ward leaving Sungmin with Eunhyuk.

 

“Hyukkie, don’t do it.” Sungmin pleaded. “You might regret it later. Must you do it by your own hand?”

 

A doctor and nurse soon entered the ward. The doctor then rattled off some medical jargon and legal jargon about what will happen next and asked if the three of them were ready for the consequences to come. They all then signed a medical directive. 

 

By then Sungmin had already broken down into uncontrollable sobs. Kyuhyun stifled his own sobs and tried to hold back his tears to comfort his boyfriend.

 

Eunhyuk’s hand trembled uncontrollably as he limped towards the life support machine.

 

Eunhyuk froze in his tracks when he arrived next to Donghae’s visage.

 

Eunhyuk hunched over and caressed Donghae’s face gently with his trembling hands. Eunhyuk’s face was steeled with stoicism and determination, only betraying some form of emotion and tenderness as he touched Donghae.

 

“Hae, I’m sorry. Please don’t hate me. I’m doing this for your own good,” Eunhyuk whispered. “It pains me to do this, Hae. But I have to. Please forgive me. Go in peace Hae. Go in peace. Don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine. Just go in peace. I really love you Hae,” Eunhyuk’s façade of calmness started to dissipate and disintegrate as he began to choke on his emotions.

 

“You know how I always complaint that I you were always so clingy and possessive that I wished that I could return to those days when I had my freedom. Looks like my wish is coming true. But you know what, I’m not happy. Hae, I’m sorry for saying that you were always clinging onto me. Now that you’re gone, no one’s going to cling onto me anymore. I should’ve just let you cling onto me all you wanted. I would really miss you calling me at the school. I would miss you just springing up behind me and just hugging me,” he choked. “I would miss your laugh, your smile, your touch, your childishness. I’ll miss everything about you. Please forgive me for not clinging onto you right now. Please forgive me for letting you go like this. I love you Hae. I really do. This is why I have to let you go. Keeping you like this, it isn’t right.”

 

Eunhyuk could swear that he could see a tear or two flowing down from Donghae’s eyes. 

 

Eunhyuk turned away from Donghae and laboured towards the life support machine. Extending his still wobbly hands, he reached for a knob on the machine.

 

“Hyukkie, don’t do it!” Sungmin shouted in distress. “Please don’t!”

 

Eunhyuk withdrew his hands as he turned around to glance pensively at Sungmin and Kyuhyun who seemed to tighten his grip on Sungmin. Eunhyuk then refocused his gaze back on the machine.

 

He stretched out his right hand to reach for the machine’s knob before shutting his eyes.

 

But just as his touched the knob, his right hand fell as he lowered his head and opened his tear-filled eyes.

 

He turned to the doctor and nurse and said, “I can’t do it.”

 

They nodded their heads in understanding. The doctor stepped forward and with one quick movement turned the machine off as Eunhyuk, Sungmin and Kyuhyun sobbed as the readings on the machine became a straight line and finally stopped.

 

……

 

And even though Eunhyuk made a full recovery from the incident, he stopped dancing. He stopped participating in dance competitions or performances. He cut down on the amount of dancing classes which he teaches.

 

He just hated dancing. If he wasn’t a dancer and his legs didn’t matter, Donghae wouldn’t have shielded him and wouldn’t have lost his life. He wouldn’t have lost Donghae then.

 

……

 

Eunhyuk, Sungmin and Kyuhyun gathered at a seaside. Eunhyuk was holding an urn draped with yellow cloth.

 

“Are you sure you can do this by yourself?” Sungmin asked.

 

Eunhyuk nodded.

 

“You won’t do anything foolish right?” Kyuhyun asked.

 

“I won’t. Don’t worry,” Eunhyuk replied stoically.   

 

Eunhyuk boarded the rented boat alone. The boatman then rowed Eunhyuk out to the sea. He removed the draped cloth and opened the urn’s lid.

 

“Hae, your name has the word ‘sea’ in it. I’m now returning you to where you belong. Rest in peace.”

 

Eunhyuk tried his best to hold back his tears as he scooped a handful of Donghae’s ashes and scattered them into the wind and sea. The mild breeze also blew a bit of the ashes from Eunhyuk’s hands into the sea and atmosphere. After about five handfuls Eunhyuk then sunk the urn and the rest of the remaining contents into the deep bed of the sea.

 

“Rest in peace Hae. Goodbye for now. Hae. I love you. Until we meet again.” 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did anyone cry or get really emotionally reading this chapter?

Yup. EunHae did not have a happy ending. But Eunhyuk was strong enough to survive and not do foolish things. 

By the way, you should all know who Lee Ji-eun is? This Ji-eun is different from Baekhyun's Ji-eun. That one is Song Ji-eun. 

And did you all notice that one of the attackers is a familiar character. The words he said, do they ring a bell for you?

Anyway this concludes the EunHae story. So overall, did you like this chapter and the EunHae arc? The next chapter would shift back to present time. 

The story is about to end soon in 5 to 6 chapters. I spend about a year on this story. Wow! The , for the story, I would keep it a secret for now. What do you think would happen?

Thank you for all the comments. Please continue to comment and subscribe to this story.

 

Do check out  and comment on my other fan fics if you have not already done so.

My other fan fics

KyuMin: Almost a love story

KyuMin: 60 Days c

It's You (너라고) Neorago (a YeWook fan-fic)