Kai's First Night

Heaven's Boys

 

Jongin gulped down his dinner and headed to the bathroom for a quick shower.

 

He was feeling pretty nervous and excited. This was the first time he had ever held a job, working at a gay club no less. He started to wonder what would happen that night.

 

What sort of customers would I meet?

 

Would they be nice or would they be difficult?

 

Would I be able to remember all the drink recipes?

 

I hope I’ll be able to stay awake until six in the morning.

 

Jongin towelled his hair and body dry. He then threw a snug-fitting black t-shirt over himself and put on a pair of black skinny jeans.

 

His hair was still damp and he reached for the dryer to blow his hair dry. He then grabbed some wax from the cabinet and began styling his hair upwards. He then reached for the hair spray and started spraying over his hair.

 

He peered into the mirror. “I’m looking good.”

 

Maybe I should apply some cologne on myself. I wonder if the other guys have any to spare. I’ll ask Kyungsoo-hyung first.

 

He opened the door to the shared bedroom and called out, “Kyungsoo-hyung, are you there?”

 

Looks like there’s no one here, Jongin thought to himself when he did not get a response.

 

As he left the room, he ran into Baekhyun.

 

“Hey Kai,” Baekhyun greeted cheerfully. “It’s your first night right? How are you feeling?”

 

“Kind of excited and nervous.”

 

“Well. We’ll all be around. Just shout out to any of us if you have any problems alright?”

 

“Gomawo hyung. Hyung, do you have some cologne that I can borrow?”

 

“I don’t. Just stay here. I’ll go take from Sehun. That maknae has quite a few bottles. You can borrow one. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind.”

 

Baekhyun disappeared downstairs to where Sehun’s room was and appeared soon after.

 

“Here,” Baekhyun said as he passed Jongin a half-used bottle of Calvin Klein perfume.

 

“Gomawo.”

 

“I’m going downstairs first. Catch you in a while. Remember to return the bottle to Sehun’s room.”

 

Jongin nodded.

 

He quickly sprayed a little fragrance on himself. He then headed back into his bedroom and put on the vest. He quickly pinned his nametag which said “Kai”.

 

He stared into the mirror for one last look. He was all smiles as he liked what he saw.

 

“This is so right, Jongin. This is you. The confident you. You’re going to turn some heads downstairs,” he muttered as he psyched himself up.

 

Just as he was about to leave the room, he nearly bumped into someone. “Kyungsoo-hyung,” he greeted.

 

“Kai…”

 

Their gazes met with each other and they remained like this for a minute or so before Kyungsoo shifted his gaze upwards and then downwards.

 

“You look good,” Kyungsoo muttered nervously.

 

“Uh. Gomawo, hyung.”

 

Jongin was about to take a step forward but realised that Kyungsoo was in his (Jongin’s) way.

 

“Uh, hyung, I have to get downstairs.”

 

“Mianhae.”

 

“Alright. See you later.”

 

Kyungsoo stepped aside and Jongin left the room. He dropped by Sehun’s room and left the bottle on the dressing table and then headed down for the pub.

 

The second floor of Heaven contained the club’s office as well as Sehun’s and Joon-myun’s room which were private quarters and required an access card. There was also a storeroom upstairs, a wide lounge area with many sofa seats and a billiard table.

 

Jongin headed downstairs to the bar area. To his surprise there was not much of a crowd.

 

He headed over to the bar counter and got behind it. Joon-myun was already there.

 

“Hyung, there isn’t much of a crowd,” Jongin said.

 

Joon-myun let out a chuckle. “Kai, it’s not even nine. It’s still early.”

 

Chanyeol crept up from behind Jongin and added, “The crowd will start coming in around half-past ten. You’ll be on your toes from then till at least three in the morning.”

 

“So enjoy this little break, knock down a few drinks if you can,” Chanyeol patted Jongin on his back.

 

“Or you can join Baekhyun over there,” Chanyeol pointed to Baekhyun who was busy cleaning the tables. His upper body was leaning forward while his was perked up. Jongin noticed that Chanyeol was eyeing Baekhyun’s derriere.

 

“Maybe I should go help him,” Jongin said.

 

Chanyeol held Jongin back, as the former still eyed Baekhyun’s , “That’s alright. He’s almost done.”

 

Chanyeol and Jongin briefly chatted for a while  – it was mostly casual conversation – such as their interests and hobbies. Baekhyun was soon done with his cleaning and came over to join Kai, Chanyeol and Joon-myun.

 

“You’re wearing eyeliner and makeup,” Jongin gasped as he pointed at Baekhyun’s face.

 

“He’s just being vain,” Chanyeol guffawed earning a tiny and gentle punch from Baekhyun on his back.

 

“Channie, you said I look good with eyeliner,” Baekhyun protested.

 

“Did I?” Chanyeol feigned ignorance.

 

“You did,” Baekhyun reminded. “Not just once but many times.”

 

Baekhyun tried to punch Chanyeol again, but Chanyeol who had an inkling of what was about to happen, grabbed Baekhyun by his hands, spun him round and pinned him against the bar top. A devilish creepy grin appeared on Chanyeol’s face. Their crotch areas were rubbing against each other’s. Chanyeol’s face twitched a little as Baekhyun gulped.

 

“Ah! Jin-jja! My eyes! For goodness sake, you two, stop flirting with each other. If you want to make out, go upstairs,” a voice suddenly cut it.

 

It was Sehun who spoke with a straight face and dry tone.

 

Joon-myun chuckled while Chanyeol quickly released Baekhyun as they shifted their gazes away awkwardly.

 

“Kyungsoo-hyung,” Jongin greeted with a smile when he noticed Kyungsoo approaching them.

 

Kyungsoo glanced at a certain “perfection” named Jongin. Jongin was certainly cute. Not that Kyungsoo wanted to bed Jongin, just that Jongin reminded me of a certain Jino - not that Jino looked like Kai. Kai was definitely much better looking. Jino looked like a sweet angel. It's the air of youthfulness and shyness they have in them that makes them similar. 

 

Joon-myun stole a quick glance at Kyungsoo. He knew that Kyungsoo was checking Jongin out. Meanwhile Sehun observed that Joon-myun was checking Kyungsoo out who was in turn checking Jongin out.

 

“Looks like this is going to be a more complicated mess than the Baekyeol couple. This is why I don’t want to fall in love or be in a relationship. It’s always better to date a few guys than be involved in a monogamous relationship,” Sehun thought to himself.

 

“Well, since we’re all here, let’s set out the duties for the night,” Joon-myun said.

 

He continued, “As usual, we’ll all work the bar counters tonight. Baek, we have bookings for the two lounges upstairs, so you and Kyungsoo will also be in charge of them. Kai and Chan, you’re also in charge of clearing the tables. Kai, stick close to me tonight so that I’ll be able to guide you if anything pops up.”

 

“Umma will join us at about eleven. He will close the place up. Kyungsoo, you’re off at four. Kai and Sehun, you’re off at five. Baek and Chan, you can go off for a rest at three. Come down by four. We’ll do the cleaning up with umma when the club closes. It’s going to be a lot of work, but we can get through it.”

 

All of them nodded.

 

“And since this is Kai’s first night here with us, let’s all keep a lookout for him,” Joon-myun said.

 

And then all six boys stacked their palms on top of one another and shouted, “Hwaiting!”

 

Just then a thirty-something looking man entered the club and sauntered towards the bar counter.

 

Jongin whispered to Chanyeol who was next to him, “Who is he?”

 

“He’s our resident DJ. Hyukjae appa or DJ Eunhyuk as he is known. He’s also one of the owners of the place,” Chanyeol said.

 

“Hey kids!” Eunhyuk greeted cheerily and flashed a wide gummy smile. “How are you guys tonight?”

 

“We’re fine,” the teenagers echoed in unison.

 

“Joon-myun, could I get my usual?” Eunhyuk asked.

 

“Of course,” Joon-myun winked-smiled. Joon-myun bent down, and opened the bar fridge and brought out a packet of strawberry milk which he handed to Eunhyuk who looked like an excited child getting his long-awaited treat.

 

“Strawberry milk?” Jongin whispered into Chanyeol’s ear.

 

“His favourite drink,” Chanyeol replied in a low voice.

 

Eunhyuk noticed Jongin eyeing him with a surprised look. “Hey, are you the new guy Sungmin spoke about? What’s your name? Is it Kai or something?”

 

Jongin bowed and greeted Eunhyuk.

 

They introduced themselves to one another.

 

“So why were u staring at me?” Eunhyuk asked.

 

Jongin felt a little embarrassed. He stuttered, “Nothing, it’s just that it’s hard to imagine an adult getting all excited about strawberry milk.”

 

“Well, what do you know? Milk is a great beverage and good for the bones,” Eunhyuk replied as he finished the last sip of the drink and left the empty packet on the bar top. 

 

“Alright, I’ve got to get ready. Grab another drink later,” Eunhyuk said. “And nice meeting you, Kai. Hope we’ll have a longer conversation next time.”

 

Jongin nodded as he remembered a certain someone who had a fondness for banana milk and always speaking on how milk is good for the body. He quickly brushed the thoughts aside.

 

“Hyung, how often does Eunhyuk-ahjussi come to Heaven?” Jongin asked Chanyeol.

 

“Thursdays to Sundays. Eunhyuk-appa also conducts dance classes in a very small studio.”

 

“He can dance?” Jongin exclaimed wide-eyed in awe.

 

Chanyeol nodded. “He used to own a bigger dance studio than what he is having right now. He is a skilled an accomplished dancer. He had won several dance competitors, taught a few idols. He can do many dances including trot. It was because of that incident which is why he doesn’t focus much on dancing much nowadays. What a pity.”

 

Chanyeol let out a sigh.

 

“What happened?” Jongin asked inquisitively.

 

“I think it’s best that appa and umma or Eunhyuk-appa tells you. It’s quite depressing actually.”

 

Jongin nodded. “Say hyung, do you think Eunhyuk-ahjussi would be willing to teach me dancing? I’d like to improve my dance skills and if he can help me, that’ll be great.”

 

“You could always ask him. He’s a nice guy.”

 

Jongin nodded.

 

……

 

It was half-past ten. The crowds began to pour into Heaven. The boys began to work hard serving the customers, preparing drinks, clearing empty jugs and glasses. As the night progressed, the music began to thump and bodies started to gyrate their sweaty bodies on the dance floor to the remixes of Madonna, Lady Gaga, Kylie, Katy Perry and the likes courtesy of DJ Eunhyuk. The volume of the music and the beats began to pump up with mist spraying out from time to time.

 

Jongin was trying his best to get himself used to the surroundings. It was after all his second time at the club. He struggled to put on the brightest smile and take the orders from the customers amidst the noise. Kyungsoo noticed that Jongin was feeling a little uneasy and would come over to pat him on the back and whisper some encouraging words into him.

 

Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Joon-myun have been nothing less than encouraging and would always give him a pat on the back. But somehow it did not feel the same way as it did coming from Kyungsoo. Jongin felt warm by the words Kyungsoo said:

 

I wasn’t quite used to the noise, environment and pace when I first started. But you’ll get the hang of it soon enough.   

 

You have the most beautiful smile. Keep smiling always.

 

You’re doing well. Keep it up.  

 

Call me if you need me.

 

Sehun meanwhile stayed mostly at one spot and did not interact much with Jongin. Jongin noticed that Sehun would be talking to some customers every now and then and would laugh with them.

 

So far the night was proceeding quite well for Jongin. He got his orders right though he was a little slow at preparing the cocktails. He did not charge the customers wrongly or gave them the wrong change and he felt kind of relieved.

 

Just then a tall lanky fresh baby-faced with golden locks approached Jongin, “Hi, I would like a Screwdriver.”

 

Jongin replied with a smile. “Coming up right up.”

 

Jongin swiftly mixed a shot of vodka and filled the glass with orange juice before placing an orange wedge on the glass. He smiled as he handed the drink over to the customer.

 

“Here’s your drink sir. That’ll be X won,” Jongin said with a smile.

 

The customer handed Jongin the notes and Jongin promptly returned the change.

 

“Enjoy your drink and evening sir.”

 

But the customer was still looking at Jongin.

 

“Is there anything wrong sir?” Jongin asked. “Did I give you the wrong change?”

 

“No. Nothing’s wrong. I’m just admiring you, I think you’re cute.”

 

“Gamsa-hamnida,” Jongin replied with a bashful expression on his face. “You’re also very good-looking.”

 

That made Jongin to appear even more cute and this captivated the customer. The customer stood there at the bar counter with his drink and continued gawking at Jongin.

 

“You really think I’m good-looking?” the customer asked.

 

Jongin nodded. In fact, Jongin really meant what he said. He was not trying to please or humour the customer. He looked as though he was in his early twenties and was indeed attractive.

 

“I’m Jason. Jang Hanbyul,” the customer said.

 

“I’m Kai.”

 

“Kai, would you like to go out with me?” Jason asked.

 

Oh crap, Jongin thought to himself. The thing that I fear the most is actually happening. I’m being picked up. What do I do?

 

“Jason-ssi, I’m sorry but I can’t.”

 

“But why? Didn’t you just say that I’m good-looking?”

 

“It’s not that. You are very attractive but the club has a policy that employees shouldn’t go out with customers.”

 

“Oh come on, it’ll be fun. We can have a coffee and a meal or something some time. Don’t worry. Nothing more to that. I’m a decent guy,” Jason persuaded.

 

“Jason-ssi, I really can’t.”

 

With or without the club’s policy, Jongin just did not want to go out with this Jason guy not because of his looks. It’s just that this guy is a total stranger.

 

Kyungsoo noticed that Jongin was in a difficult spot. He hastened his way towards Jongin to help him out but he was beaten by Joon-myun.

 

“Hi sir, I’m Suho. I’m in charge here. Is there anything wrong?”

 

There was an air of coolness to Joon-myun even though he had a broad smile on his face.

 

It was Jason’s turn to feel a little embarrassed. “Nothing.”

 

Jason quickly took his glass and returned to his friends.

 

“Was he hitting on you?” Joon-myun asked.

 

Jongin nodded.

 

“It’s okay. I get that quite a lot myself over the years I’ve been here. If this ever happens again, don’t worry I’ll be around.”

 

“Gomawo.”

 

Joon-myun then left Jongin. As soon as Joon-myun left Jongin’s side, Kyungsoo saddled up to Jongin’s side and asked caringly, “Kai, is everything alright? You seem unnerved earlier.”

 

“I’m fine now hyung. I was really nervous. You know the practice session we had is nowhere compared to the real thing. That Jason guy is really good-looking and all. I felt that rejecting him was as good as insulting him.”

 

“Would you have agreed to go out with him if the club has no policy of staff not being allowed to date customers?”

 

“Not at all.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“He’s a stranger.”

 

“But you’ll get to know him more if you went out with him.”

 

“I just don’t feel comfortable being picked up by some random guy.”

 

“Then in that case you don’t have to feel bad about rejecting him, arasseo?”

 

“Ne. Gomawo hyung.”

 

……

 

It was about half-past six in the morning when Jongin climbed into bed. He was feeling tired. Before Kyungsoo had retired for the night, Kyungsoo had given Jongin a hard and few words of encouragement as the older boy noticed how tired Jongin looked. 

 

Meanwhile Jongin noticed that Kyungsoo was already soundly asleep. He had to wake up at 11 to prepare lunch for the whole family.

 

He walked towards Kyungsoo, crouched down and whispered a thank you into Kyungsoo’s ear.

 

Jongin then turned and sunk himself onto his bed. More than six hours of standing is really a tough job.

 

He let out a yawn and shut his eyes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So dear readers, did you enjoy this little chapter about Kai's first night?

Which parts did you like best? The BaekYeol moments, The SuKaiSoo trio checking out one another, or the KaiSoo moments? Do you like how KaiSoo is developing? Is it too fast? Too slow? 

And as you know, Eunhyuk is finally introduced briefly. What do you think his backstory is like? Can anyone wager a guess? What do you think is the incident which Chanyeol talked about? Do share your creative thoughts (although I have already planned out Eunhyuk's backstory). 

The next chapter will see three more characters being introduced. One main and two supporting types. Does anyone want to guess who they are? What roles will they play in this fiction? 

And thank you all for subscribing and commenting on this story. Please continue to show me your love...share your thoughts on the above question or anything you like about this story. And if this is your first time here, welcome. I hope you like what you have read up till now. Please be so kind as to subscribe to the story.

Thank you. 

 

Do check out  and comment on my other fan fics if you have not already done so.

My other fan fics

KyuMin: Almost a love story

KyuMin: 60 Days 

It's You (너라고) Neorago (a YeWook fan-fic)