Aftermath

Heaven's Boys

 

Kyuhyun folded his arms and glowered at the three boys – Kyungsoo, Joon-myun and Jongin – who were bowing their heads in front of him.

 

Sungmin stood next to Kyuhyun with a stern expression. His usual cheerful disposition had vanished.

 

“Joon-myun, as the oldest amongst the boys, I expected more from you,” Kyuhyun rebuked. “You’re supposed to take care of your dongsaengs. So what happened?”

 

“Choi-song hamnida, appa. I’ve known that I failed in my responsibilities. I did tell Kai to inform me if anything comes up with Kyungsoo, but he didn’t.”

 

Turning to Jongin, Kyuhyun asked, “Kai, is that true?”

 

Jongin nodded his head.

 

“And why didn’t you do as you were told?”

 

“Because Kyungsoo hyung told me not to. He told me he has everything under control. I trusted and believed in him. I felt that he would be able to overcome this by himself…” Jongin replied.

 

“But look at what happened,” Joon-myun snapped.

 

“Joon-myun,” Kyuhyun rapped harshly. “Even if Kai didn’t mention anything, shouldn’t you be a little bit more observant and concerned for Kyungsoo? You know the severity of Kyungsoo’s condition. You know that he’s depressed. You know that he’s suicidal and can hurt himself. It’s lucky that he isn’t severely hurt. What happens if something untoward happened to Kyungsoo and he died? How would you live with it? How do we all live with it? How do we explain to his parents? You do remember what your alias Suho means, right? Since you chose that alias yourself.”

 

“I remember. It means to protect and guard. I’ve to protect my family and all my brothers here,” Joon-myun said regretfully as he bowed his head in shame. 

 

“And what is this about you hitting Kai?” Kyuhyun scowled.

 

“I…I…” Joon-myun stuttered.

 

Kyuhyun glanced at Joon-myun, followed by Kyungsoo, and then Jongin before looking at Sungmin knowingly. Kyuhyun let out a soft sigh which the latter heard.

 

“You know that fights are disallowed. As the oldest you’re supposed to be an example to the rest of the boys. And yet you were the one to raise your fists firsts on Kai here who has only been with us for a short while,” Kyuhyun castigated.

 

Kyuhyun softened his tone a little. “Joon-myun, what’s wrong with you. You rarely lose your cool like this? What happened?”

 

“I…I…was wrong. I’m sorry. I was just so angry with Kai for breaking his agreement with me. And seeing Kyungsoo hurt …I…felt the pain too…and I just lost…it…” Joon-myun broke down. “I’m sorry.”

 

Kyungsoo felt a pang of guilt hearing Joon-myun’s words.

 

“Joon-myun, I understand how you feel, but that doesn’t mean you should hit Kai even though he was wrong.”

 

“I understand.”

 

“Don’t you think you should apologise to Kai?”

 

“I…” Joon-myun stuttered. Although Joon-myun knew he was wrong to hit Jongin, he was reluctant to apologise to him as he resented Jongin for stealing Kyungsoo’s affection. Thus those words were difficult to come out.

 

“I’m…sorry…” Joon-myun uttered with much difficulty.  

 

Turning to Jongin, Kyuhyun warned, “And you Kai, you should have told Joon-myun or at least Sungmin or me about Kyungsoo. You can’t assume that Kyungsoo would be fine just because he tells you so or just because of your blind faith in him. Please don’t take depression lightly.”

 

“I’m sorry…I should have exercised better judgement,” Jongin said.

 

“Appa, umma, I’m sorry. It was my fault. Please don’t scold Kai or Joon-myun hyung,” Kyungsoo spoke up softly.

 

“Kyungsoo-ah,” Kyuhyun’s tone softened a little. “I know you don’t want to make us worry. But Sungmin and I are your guardians. You have to let us know if you’re unwell. It’s our job to worry about you and to care for you.”

 

“It’s not a burden to us,” Sungmin chimed in and broke into a reassuring smile and patted Kyungsoo on his head. “We knew what we were getting into when we started Heaven and from the moment you walked through Heaven’s door. We love you as much as we love Baekhyun. So we hope that you can love us as much as we love you.”

 

Glancing at Sungmin wistfully before turning his gaze back to Kyungsoo, Kyuhyun said, “You don’t have to bear all the burdens by yourself.”

 

Sungmin shifted his gaze towards Kyuhyun for a brief moment. Sungmin knew exactly what Kyuhyun was driving at – Sungmin had borne the burden of supporting himself and Kyuhyun back in their younger days without wanting Kyuhyun to worry.

 

Kyuhyun said, “We’re your family. We share your burdens with you. So promise us that you won’t hide anything from us. It’s not that we don’t trust you to deal with your depression alone, it’s just that it’s better that we’re there to fight the battle alongside you.”

 

And Kyuhyun continued solemnly, “Because Kyungsoo, if this gets out of hand and happens again – you attempting suicide or harming yourself, we would have to inform your parents. They might send you to a mental health facility for you to recover.”

 

Sungmin nodded in agreement.

 

Joon-myun and Jongin gasped at Kyuhyun’s threat while Kyungsoo quietly nodded his head in understanding.

 

“Appa, you can’t be serious,” Jongin burst out.

 

“Well, if Kyungsoo can get better medical care and attention at a facility, I don’t see why not,” Kyuhyun replied coolly.

 

“Anyway, not just you and Joon-myun, but Kyungsoo himself has to cooperate if he wants to get well. As for you and Joon-myun, you just have to watch out for Kyungsoo and make sure he takes his medicine and doesn’t do anything silly,” Kyuhyun said. “As for you Kyungsoo, you just have to focus on taking your medicine, stay positive and not to worry about being a cause of trouble, and inform us if you feel depressed and suicidal again.”

 

“Do you all understand?” Kyuhyun asked. “I’m not going to punish anyone of you. You’re all mature enough. Just make such an incident doesn’t happen again – whether hitting someone or failing in one’s duty or task.”

 

“Ne, appa,” the three boys echoed softly in unison. “Alright, Joon-myun and Kai may go. Kyungsoo, Sungmin and I still want to talk to you.”

 

……

 

“Kyungsoo-ah,” Sungmin said gently. “I know  that Joon-myun confessed his feelings for you. And I know that you rejected him. Don’t you like him?”

 

Kyungsoo kept silent.

 

“Or is there anyone else you like? It can’t be Sehun. You’re not that close to him. He’s too cool and immature for you. It can’t be Baekhyun or Chanyeol…these two boys are meant for each other. And they’re too childish and noisy for you. That leaves Kai…is it Kai?” Sungmin probed.

 

But Kyungsoo remained silent.

 

“Kyungsoo-ah,” Kyuhyun chimed in, “Sungmin and I don’t object to you dating anyone of the guys here. But we fear it might cause unnecessary tension between Joon-myun and Kai. Especially we all know how Joon-myun feels about you. Anyway, we can’t and we won’t meddle in your relationships. We’re not trying to add stress to your current situation, but we hope you would be able to tread very carefully without hurting anyone’s feelings. Joon-myun is more delicate than you think he is…”

 

“Appa, umma, I understand. I like Joon-myun hyung but not as a lover. He’s really thoughtful, caring and protective, but he’s just like an older brother to me. Anyway, I don’t think I want a relationship with anyone in the future. I’m not ready until I can sort my own issues out.”

 

“But Kyungsoo-ah, I don’t think Jino would want you to wallow in this abyss of guilt and self-punishment of solitude either,” Sungmin advised.

 

Kyungsoo sighed. “I know. I’ll try not to blame myself for Jino’s death anymore. I’ll do my best get over my depression. I know I should. I must. Throwing my life away won’t bring Jino back to life. It won’t be honouring his sacrifice for me. Kai made me understand that earlier. But I’m not ready… to accept anyone…I don’t want to make the same mistake of being too clingy to another person…and…”

 

“Kyungsoo-ah, it’s okay. We understand,” Sungmin comforted as he pulled Kyungsoo into a hug. “Just concentrate on getting well. And don’t worry about the rest.”  

 

……

 

There was an awkward atmosphere between Joon-myun and Jongin after they had left the room.

 

Eager to break the ice and clear up the tension, Jongin decided to be the first to speak: “Hyung, I’m sorry.”  

 

But Joon-myun coolly ignored Jongin and walked off. Undaunted, Jongin caught up with Joon-myun and apologised again. ‘I’m sorry. I had no idea it would be this serious.”

 

But Joon-myun just brushed Jongin aside and headed for the stairs.

 

But Jongin refused to give up. He shouted after Joon-myun, “I’ve already apologised. So why are you still angry?”

 

Joon-myun turned around and stomped towards Jongin. “Kai, don’t you get it? You were supposed to inform anyone of us if Kyungsoo started to add weirdly. But you didn’t. You covered up for him.”

 

“I’m sorry about that, okay? I truly am. This is the first time I’ve encountered someone with depression. How do I know what I’m supposed to do?” Jongin rebutted.

 

“Could you not have asked anyone? Kyungsoo could have come to harm today. We could have lost him! How are you to live with that if anything bad happens to him?” Joon-myun riled. “And yet now you’re using your ignorance as an excuse.”

 

“I was there too earlier. I could have broken the door. I could have saved him. I could protect him too,” Jongin asserted.  

 

“By covering up for him?” Joon-myun shouted back.

 

“No! By making sure he doesn’t get nightmares anymore. By helping him to get over that Jino guy! By letting him know that there is still hope, that he still has a life ahead of him and that he deserves the feeling of loving and being in love again!” Jongin declared. 

 

Joon-myun seethed with rage and jealousy at Jongin’s declaration.

 

“What makes you think you can do that?” Joon-myun challenged.

 

“Watch me! I’ll heal him!” Jongin vowed. “I’ll make sure he gets better!”

 

Without saying another word to Jongin, Joon-myun turned away and marched towards the stairs, fuming with rage over Jongin’s words.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a little upsetting. Was my previous chapter on Joon-myun's past and encounter with his step-father too unsettling, traumatic or over-dramatic? 

I would admit this chapter here is a little filler chapter. So Kyungsoo doesn't want a relationship. Kai has man up to say he will take care of Kyungsoo. Joon-myun is left angry at Kai's challenge. I wonder how they will settle this love triangle. It may seem Joon-myun is being a bit unforgiving/petty towards Kai, but yourself in his shoes. If you had this person coming into your life and vying for the affections of someone you love, I guess you would exactly behave like what he did.

I know a lot of readers want Suho/Joon-myun to end up with Lay? But do you think Suho can truly find happiness with Lay? 

Anyway, leave it to the adults (KyuMin) to sort out the mess. Were they too lenient? Should they have punished the kids?

Please do comment on this chapter. Comments appreciated. And if you have yet to subscribe to this story, please subscribe to it.

Are there any other pairings which you like me to write about in the future? I could do a DaeJae, YunJae, KyuMin, BaekYeol/TaoRis. So what would be your pick?

On a side note, I'm still waiting for EXO's comeback. It's like taking eternity. 

 

 

Do check out  and comment on my other fan fics if you have not already done so.

My other fan fics

KyuMin: Almost a love story

KyuMin: 60 Days 

It's You (너라고) Neorago (a YeWook fan-fic)