Chapter 34

You And I 2

First time in court, and I was intimidated. It was initially a battle between Mr Shin and the other party, Mr Woo. But when the two of them started attacking myself and Yeh Jin’s mother, Mrs Kim, that was when I cowered. It was scary and harsh to witness Mr Woo demanding an explanation from me as to why Yeh Jin was left in the home almost permanently, which was the major issue that could cause me to lose the case. I swear I nearly shook and peed in my pants but I managed to state only the facts, like that Mr Shin advised.

‘Remain calm, don’t tell any lies and I will settle the rest.’

Mr Woo re-emphasized the point that I would never be capable of providing care and guidance similar to a mother would because of the nature of my career. However, Mr Shin counter-attacked by wanting a clear explanation why Mrs Kim only started her search for Yeh Jin only recently. The reason we got was pretty lame, saying that she had been looking for Yeh Jin right from the start but her efforts were in vain. Mr Shin then retaliated by stating that I had made a police report on the very day when I found Yeh Jin, even going as far as mentioning it on a variety show that I was looking for the mother of a girl who I had adopted. The news of me adopting a child had become so big that the public knew about Yeh Jin. Although I tried not to expose her to the public, social platforms and forums had been flooded by Yeh Jin’s photos for years. Although Mr Woo tried to defend Mrs Kim, it sounded weak and the judge decided that another trial will be arranged so we could be better prepared. I already expected this case would definitely drag on for a long time, with us walking in and out of the court for many times. But somehow, I still got a little frustrated at the judge for not making a decision when it was obviously Mr Woo’s side that did not have sufficient evidence to support their stand. But again, which judge comes to a decision with just one court trial?

Through the course of the first trial, I kept an eye on Yeh Jin sitting at the other side alone. She did voice her opinions and stated the facts but Mr Woo was surprisingly harsh on her too. I was taken aback that he would also attack her but Yeh Jin seemed to be handing it well even though I could tell that she was trying her best to stop shaking. I was afraid that Mr Woo would insist that Mr Shin and I had told Yeh Jin what to say so that I could gain custody of her. But Yeh Jin had always been a smart child. She surprised me by not being defensive but yet remained calm and insisted that I was the main contributor that she was able to be cured from depression.

Jin Hye and Yoo Hyun had me walked between them as they escorted me back to the van. It was crazy with all the reporters and flashing lights but I was only concerned about how Yeh Jin was going to leave the building. I wanted to make sure that no one squeezed through the security and pounced on her.

“Are you feeling okay?” I nodded when Jin Hye checked on me with a firm grip on my shoulder. Actually, after getting a feel on how prepared Mr Woo was, I felt a little relieved. As of now, it seemed like Mr Shin was closer to victory. But it was only the start. Nothing was confirmed.

“I was expecting the other side to start questioning Seung Hyun-ssi. But they didn’t.” Yoo Hyun uttered when he stopped the van at the traffic lights.

“Mr Shin predicted that they would leave him alone this time. But he said they might push on him real hard at the second court trial.” Jin Hye responded. Honestly, Seung Hyun was sitting beside me all the while but I could not spare any thoughts on him. I was so occupied but now that Yoo Hyun had mentioned, I started to feel dead just at the thought of the next trial next month. I hated the idea of Seung Hyun being involved in his case so much that I felt angry. Why did I allow this to happen? Now that Seung Hyun had showed up in the first trial, I can’t even stop him from appearing on the subsequent trials since the world would be expecting his presence.

“Mr Shin even predicted that? He’s a pro.” Yoo Hyun replied, probably trying to assure me.

“Yeah. You see how he performed today.” Jin Hye reached for my hand and held it with yet another firm grip. “He is really going all out to help us. Let’s trust him.” She looked so earnest and I unconsciously smiled upon the comfort and console from her reassuring gaze.

Days at home were a bore. It had gone to the extent that I started colouring those colouring books that were meant for toddlers. A fact about me; I really hated colouring since young.

When I did my usual catch-up with Yeh Jin over the phone, she had expressed her frustrations at how her mother made countless attempts to visit her at the home, which she rejected.

“I already said no but she does not even care. Isn’t this counted as harassing? Is this even allowed when we are having a court case?”

“Yeh Jin ah, I can understand where you are coming from. But I also understand Mrs Kim. It is only natural for her to want to see you. She must have missed you so much over the years.” Mrs Kim might have abandoned Yeh Jin in the perspective of Mr Shin. But I did not want to create a worse impression of her mother to Yeh Jin. Maybe, Mrs Kim really does have her own reasons.

“Unnie, just stop. She is your enemy now. Why are you talking for her?” Yeh Jin asked in a slight whiny voice, even though I could tell that she was indeed upset at what I had said.

“Okay. I’m sorry. I did not mean it that way.” An open sigh was heard at the other side.

“Whatever. I hope this would quickly end. I’m already looking forward to the Paris trip with Ji Yong oppa.”

“Paris trip?” I frowned in confusion.

“Hmm. Just a minute before you called, oppa called and said he would take you and I on a trip. He recommended Paris, knowing that I wanted somewhere quiet.”

“Is Paris quiet? I think the everyone there knows him.” I talked back, feeling dumbfounded because Ji Yong attended tons of fashion shows in Paris.

“I like Paris. I already agreed.” Rolling my eyes even though I was smiling, I said.

“Yeah, yeah. As long as you are happy.”

When the call from Yeh Jin ended, I immediately called Ji Yong.

“Oh? I tried to call you but your line was busy.” He spoke the moment he picked up the call.

“I heard from the girl that you are bringing her to Paris? With whose permission?” I was joking but somehow, I wanted to for acting like Yeh Jin’s guardian.

“With Yeh Jin’s permission.”

“She is still underage and I am her legal guardian.”

“So I am bringing you along.” He simply said, not flinching a bit.

“You are really doing as you like.” I gave up and rolled my eyes.

“Why, I think we all need this vacation.” He said. “Let’s plan this together.” And it made me considering it seriously. I always loved travelling and I admit Paris was a good place. I had only gone once for the filming of a music video. “Didn’t you said you love road trips and camping?”

“Road trip and camping in France?” By that time, I was already smiling. I totally love the idea! I don’t know if Paris would be the best place for our current plans, but as long as we are away from Korea, it excited me.

“Yeah. I am actually googling right now.” And I could imagine him sitting infront of the desk, leaning slightly forward as he stared at the screen. “I briefly have an idea we should go. We will make a trip around France before heading back to Paris. There are also campsites by the beaches and at the forests. Ah, you prefer the forest, right?” I laughed at his enthusiasm.

“So, the first and last destination will be Paris?”

“Yeah. Let Yeh Jin drop by Paris first then we will head out of the city. Then we will start driving. After that, head back to the airport in Paris.” I thought for a while.

“But if we are driving around the whole country, how long would it take?” I chuckled, already knowing we might end up overseas for almost a month.

“26, 27 days?”

“So we are going to camp for twenty over days? Are you confident that we can survive?” And we both laughed.

“Let’s do half of France then. Then if you guys want, we can have another week in another country.”

“I think two weeks is good enough. It’s the first time I am bringing Yeh Jin overseas plus, it will be after the court case. I don’t want to tire the child.”

“True. I will take care of the rest. Just let me know where you want to visit in France.”

“I thought we are planning this together?” I teased.

“On second thoughts, I think I should handle the logistics and all. What if you mess things up?” My eyes widened.

“What? Excuse me, I was the one planning family trips and gatherings before coming to Korea.” I could almost hear him smirking as he scoffed.

“Whatever.” Rolling my eyes, I gave a silent huff. When all I can hear was silence with soft typing in the background, I went to lie on my bed and could not help but appreciate the relationship I had with Ji Yong. We were comfortable with one another that we don’t feel awkward at silence moments like this. It felt like he was a reliable brother who would always be by my side. And even if he is not physically by my side, I could still feel his companion.

“I found a possible route we could take.” He uttered quietly, and I could hear him type away on the keyboard. “Save time, minimize the detours and the route is scenic.”

“Whatever, oppa.” I parroted, even though I was thankful and held back my laughter when I could literally picture him glaring at me. “Maybe we can discuss it with Yeh Jin. It’s her trip anyway.”

“Yeah. But I intended to make this trip yours too. You definitely deserve this break.” And I knew he only spoke his mind, all the while paying more attention to the monitor screen.

“Don’t mind about us too much. You should enjoy the trip too. Things have not been very kind on you too.”

“We will all have an unforgettable vacation. Trust me.”

There was a nagging at the back of my head. I know it is not a time to be planning a trip with Ji Yong. Moreover, Yeh Jin was coming along too. However, on the other hand, if I really win the court case, I don’t see why I should not bring the girl out. I have never brought her overseas before and that made me sorry. I had been neglecting her even though I made sure to provide all that she needed. Memories of the past resurfaced in my mind and my heart ached when I recalled how she would cling on me like a leech at the initial stage. Yeh Jin had grown so much, yet it felt like I had not been participating in her growth process. She spent too much time in the home while at times, I was too tired or busy to even drop her a text message. I could not be a good mother or a guardian and I was puzzled at Yeh Jin’s decision to go for the court case. Now that I think about it, the determined gaze Yeh Jin had when she declared that she would not go back to her mother confused me even more. I was pretty sure she once told me that she would love to see her mother again…

Leaving my room after I had changed to go for treatment at the hospital, I joined my parents at the living room.

“Mummy.” I called and Mum tore her gaze away from the book she was reading. Dad had turned his attention to me too as I slowly sat on the floor. “Shall I apply a long-term visa for you? Your tourist visa is going to expire soon.”

“Shall I?” She gave me a small smile and I could read her mind immediately.

“I love to have you around. But I want you to be happy too. Do you want to go back?”

“But I can’t bear to leave you here.” Her warmth palm stretched to gently cup my cold cheek which I leaned in to her comfortable touch.

“Hey, why aren’t you proposing the same thing to me?” Dad softly protested which made me chuckled lightly. I turned to him with the same weak smile.

“Because I know you will be where Mummy is.” Shooting me a playful glare, I laughed again as he watched me disapprovingly and it was when the doorbell rang.

“It must be my managers.” I stood up, followed by my parents as they watched while I headed to the door.

“Mummy, let me know soon?” And she nodded.

“Don’t worry.” Dad followed me to the door step. “I will discuss with your mother.” His assurance made me smile again, this time full of gratitude.

“Whatever it is, I promise to take care of myself.”

“Of course. You are my daughter.” And I was moved by the hidden trust he had for me in this mere, simple sentence.

When we were in the hospital, I could not get to sleep even though the drip was really making me drowsy.

“Jung ah, you should sleep.” Jin Hye nagged when she saw me still awake.

“There are a lot going on. I’m afraid to sleep. There are so many issues that are unsettled.”

“What is on your mind? The court case?” She came to my bedside and sat beside me, patting on my hand. I shook my head lightly, causing her frown to deepen.

“I am definitely worried about the court case, but that is not all. Jung Jun’s sister is coming to Seoul and the preparation for her accommodation is not confirmed. And I have not started on the songs for NGM’s next comeback. And I heard that Eun Sung is offered a drama role. I wish she don’t participate.” And Jin Hye sighed desperation.

“Why bother these when you are already half-dead? Pay more attention to yourself. Sajangnim will handle the rest.” Looking heart-broken, she stared down at me helplessly.

“I’m sorry, unnie. It must be tiring for you too.” I gave her hand a squeeze. Earning a weak smile, I watched as she spoke quietly again.

“Everything is going to be okay.”

Days dragged on and a week before the next court trial, I was blessed with a visit from NGM. Gladly inviting them to come into my apartment, I smiled widely at them. My parents were happy to receive them but still excused themselves even though I hoped they remain in the living room.

They updated me on how they were doing but refused to give me too much information in regards to their work.

“Hey, I’m just concerned.”

“We are all having solo activities. So noona, don’t worry about our comeback.” Kyung In uttered in his usual gentle voice.

“Ah, speaking about solo activities.” Turning to Eun Sung, I watched her in concern. Giving the boys an assuring smile, I gently stood up and tugged on the girl to follow me. I was aware of the confused stares I was getting from Kyung In and Jung Jun, but I really wanted to talk to Eun Sung.

“Unnie, what’s wrong?” Closing the door when I brought her to my room, I sat her down on the bed while I settled at the dressing table.

“I heard from Sajangnim. Are you still upset that we did not allow you to act in the drama?” And I had gotten the answer when I saw the sudden change of mood in her. She hanged her head low and refused to make any sound. “It is my idea.” I further revealed and saw how surprised she was.

“But why?”

“I know I am interfering like a manager when I have no rights to.” Reaching for her hands, I continued speaking even though I know she was on the verge of crying. She must have felt mistreated and betrayed. “Kyung In is currently casted in a webtoon drama and Jung Jun has participated in countless variety shows. But we did not allow you to have that opportunity. We understand why you are upset at us.” I pushed a piece of tissue paper into her hands when I saw silent tears rolling down her cheeks. “The reason why we selfishly made the decision to reject the offer for you, is because I want this group to last.” And she finally looked at me. “Do you realise that when groups get too active in solo activities, the group members get greedy and the group gets disbanded eventually?” Eun Sung seemed to consider my words and soon gave a small nod. “In terms of potential in singing, you outcast the boys. Even if you are given the chance to have solo activities, I want it to be within the scope of vocals. When one day, if Kyung In and Jung Jun get too blinded by the success of their solo activities and think they will do good without NGM, you will be the one to fix the imbalance. You have a difficult role in the group. That’s why we are harsh on you. Unnie have plans for you. I am actually quietly planning for a solo album for you but as you know everything has been unkind to me recently, I have not started on the songs. Sajangnim is not aware of my plans, and I only intend to propose it to him once I have the songs ready.”

“A solo album for me?” Seemingly surprised, her teary eyes widened. I nodded.

“This is my plan because NGM is the sweat and blood of me and Seung Gi oppa. But because of my stubbornness, they gave in to me. If time proves that I was wrong for not allowing you to progress, I will take the blame. I hope you don’t have any negative thoughts on the agency. For now, I hope you trust me. I see more potential in you on stage rather than on TV.” By then, she has started sobbing.

“I’m sorry, unnie. I thought you all are cruel for stopping me to advance. I thought you all think I was not able to make it.”

“And I thank you for still paying me a visit even when you are upset at us.” I smiled faintly, her hair. Tears came up my eyes unconsciously as I stood up and went to the glass display outside and retrieved a golden microphone with my name engraved on it. Eun Sung had already gotten on her feet when I was back in the room. Handing the heavy object to her, her eyes shone confusion as she waited for me to explain.

“When I was preparing for my comeback after recovering from my injured vocal cords, Sajangnim gave this to me when I was scared and unconfident to go on stage again. He told me the stage belonged to me and it was the greatest encouragement I have received in my life. I’m giving it to you now, together with my trust.”

“No, I can’t.” When she quickly pushing the microphone back into my hand, I forcefully pushed it into her hand.

“Eun Sung ah,” I called with a smile. “As you know, unnie might not be able to stand on stage again.” She shook her head, overcame by another wave of sorrow as more tears flowed down her damp cheeks. “I will continue to work hard and fix the issues that have gone out of the way, but if things don’t go by plans, at least I know you are going to shine brighter than you are now.”

“You are going to recover.” She objected and I reached up to wipe her tears with more tissue.

“I am not giving up. So I wish you are still hopeful.” I broke into light laughter when she threw herself at her, embracing me in a way that I felt her heartbreak. I sighed silently as I patted on her back. How hard it is for her. She must be feeling the same as I did when I first started out.

“Unnie, I will only promise you if you promise me you will recover.”

“Wow, kids nowadays… Talking terms with a senior?” She chuckled softly, knowing that I was not serious with my words.

“I will only sing the songs that unnie composes for us.” Ignoring what I said, she replied like a spoilt child.

“It is unnie’s pleasure to make songs for you. You, Kyung In and Jung Jun are so precious to me.” I only felt her tightening the hug and we stayed silently until she spoke again after a long pause.

“But unnie, normally agencies would want their artistes to grab any opportunities that come their way. Artistes don’t stay famous all the time. It is understandable that agencies would make them work as much as they could and squeeze the most out of them. Unnie, I felt your approach is really different.” I smiled.

“I want you guys to go far, not fast. It’s only going tire all of you and money isn’t everything.” My hands kept patting her back. “Being a singer is already a difficult route. I want to groom true singers and not create money-making machines. Only true singers will persist during hard times and continue making music when lesser people are cheering for them. True singers are proud not because of the number of fans they have, but because they are making music. And true singers are happy people.”

“Then unnie, you are one true singer.”

“I did not say all these to get your compliment though.”

“I love you, unnie.” My heart swelled at how expressive this girl was. “More than you love us. I respect you and admire your kindness. Everything is going to be okay for you. You will be blessed with all the best things in life. Please don’t worry.”

“Thank you. And effort gives results. NGM will be expecting better things before you know it. Thank you for working hard and trusting us.”

Eun Sung and I remained in the room and had small chats.

“Is Jung Jun still giving you a hard time?”

“Still annoying, but he is kind.” Raising a brow, I waited and she looked embarrassed as she continued. “When I was throwing tantrum when Sajangnim rejected the drama offer for me, he knew I was upset because I thought I was unfairly treated. He promised that he would talk to the PD of Happy Together to give me an opportunity.” A motherly smile appeared on my face. “Maybe it’s because he has a younger sister. He actually took care of me at times.”

“Yes, he is actually a sweet guy who can’t express well.” She nodded and I smiled wider at her, feeling glad that the kids were doing well together.

One week before the next court trial, I went to visit Yeh Jin. Like how a guardian should be, I did all I could to reassure her even though I was the most nervous and worried. However, my gut feel told me something was off about Yeh Jin. Not in a bad way, just a little extreme than I had expected.

“Unnie, has Mr Shin come up with a plan to win the case?”

“He has everything prepared. Don’t worry too much.” Her gaze dropped to her hands, which I had been firmly holding onto ever since we started talking. I waited for her response, carefully observing her until she looked up again with determination so intense that I had not seen before shining in her eyes.

“She will not win. It’s all coming to an end next week.”

“What do you mean?” I quietly asked, my grip on her hand tightened in caution. What is on her mind…?

I thought I had forgotten about her words until the next court hearing, when she was called up to give her testimony.

I was quietly holding onto my agitation and swallowing it as I witnessed how Mr Woo went tough on Yeh Jin when she once again voiced that she wished to be under my care.

“From the records of Haneul Home, Miss Kim Yeh Jin have been staying there for 340 days last year, not forgetting that as a child, you were already left to stay at Sun Yeong Childcare Centre for more than 300 days a year. Leaving a growing teenager in a centre on an almost permanent basis when the centre’s main service is to provide temporary childcare service, I would like to highlight the point that Miss Yi Jung, who should be the main care-giver to Miss Kim Yeh Jin, has been neglecting her legal duties! Miss Kim Ye Jin, may I ask on what grounds do you believe that Miss Yi Jung is able to give you optimal care and attention you deserve? Your Honor,” Mr Woo turned to the judge. “I suspect a possibility of parties misleading the judgement of Miss Kim Yeh Jin.” My eyes widened at the groundless accusation from Mr Woo. Angry tears welled in my eyes as I was immediately pressed down on my hand when I was about to stand unconsciously, ready to retaliate at his unprofessional accuse. I did not expect him to resort to such low behaviour. The grip on my right hand tightened but I did not tear the judging glare I had on Mr Woo and President’s soft utter came as a reminder.

“Don’t fall into his trap.” And I took in a deep breath, in my tears as I felt light, comforting pats on my right arm. I turned to my right side and saw Seung Hyun’s solemn yet reassuring gaze as he interlocked our fingers.

The judge dismissed Mr Woo’s last statement on his accuse as there were no evidence to justify his point. And that was when the young girl lost control.

“I have something to say.” All of our attention went to Yeh Jin, including Mr Shin because we did not prepare anymore testimony for her.

“Everything that Mrs Kim declared in regards to us being separated is nothing but a lie. A bold and shameless lie.” I heard my heart beats at my ears as I watched Yeh Jin turning to her mother, her eyes voided of any emotions. What the heck is happening?

“If a popular singer is determined as incompetent of taking care of me because of her hectic lifestyle, then may I ask Mr Woo and the high court, how better can a mother take care of her depressed child when she chose to abandon her on the streets?” I made an inaudible gasp, all the while staring at Yeh Jin as my mind tried to process all the information thrown at me unexpectedly.

“Mrs Kim, why did you not tell them that you left me by the road and told me to follow any lady with a cup of rice cakes?” I turned to Mrs Kim, beyond stunned at what Yeh Jin revealed. By then, Yeh Jin was on the verge of crying and I clearly remembered that fateful day when the four-years-old Yeh Jin tailed behind me for no apparent reason when I just bought myself some tokbokki. Her tears appeared in my vision and sad cries sounded in my ears again as I was transported back to that particular day. How can Mrs Kim do that… To actually abandon a child diagnosed with depression along the roadside! Anger surged in my body until I remembered Yeh Jin once dismissed me with a laugh, saying that she could not remember how she got separated with her mother.

“Oh gosh, unnie. How can I remember events from my childhood…”

My heart ached so much and tears finally rolled down my cheeks as realisation hit me. She is hiding it from me and suffering by herself.

“Jung ah, calm down…” Probably noticing my emotions, Seung Hyun’s gentle voice came and I quickly wiped my tears, knowing I should not make a scene.

“I would rather stay in a temporary childcare centre and be with the person who took up the responsibility of a mother that this woman brushed off!” Shocked at Ye Jin’s outburst, my breath got caught in my throat. Oh gosh, Yeh Jin ah…

“If this woman is granted my custody, I will not walk out of this court alive. I will die right here, right now! Test me!” And my reflex got the better of me. Even Seung Hyun’s grip did not stop me this time as my hand slipped from his and I shot to my feet. The court went silent at my sudden movement and Yeh Jin finally got pulled back from her ranting when she noticed me. My heartbreak was clear in my eyes and we stared at each other, both tearing up. No… Don’t do anything silly. This is enough already. Revealing all your secrets is enough.

In the end, we got a warning for being disruptive and disrespectful to the court and were dismissed. This whole drama was delayed to the next trial. I was immediately brought away by Seung Hyun as he tugged on me as I turned back to Yeh Jin. Our eyes met and I wanted to go to her as she was escorted back by the authorities. I wanted to yell out in frustration because there was nothing I could do.

“Why did you pull me out?” Barely controlling myself, I vented my emotions on Seung Hyun the moment the doors closed and the van sped off, dodging the crowd of reporters. Yeh Jin is still inside…! Seung Hyun did not respond and had me fuming mad for disregarding me. Ignoring Jin Hye beside me, I glared at him without a care in the world. If Jin Hye was not seating between us, I would have punched and thrown him out of the van! Why is he even in my van? My eyes shot to Jin Hye when I felt her grip landed on my shoulder as she sat up straight and blocked Seung Hyun away from my view. She shook her head once, her eyes shining with sorrow and worry and it got me guilty. My emotions had gotten the better of me and I was here making things hard for the rest of us. My gaze softened and fell, and I could feel myself releasing the tension I was holding in while she my arm to calm me down.

I was sent to the hospital as I was up for another drip session. But what happened at the underground carpark made me wonder if Seung Hyun was really out of his mind when President told Yoo Hyun to drive him back to his place.

“Thank you for the offer, Mr President. But I will stay with Jung.” I had gotten out of the car with Jin Hye and my brows furrowed in confusion and irritation. What the heck. However, President had no thoughts of backing off too.

“Jin Hye will be with her. Yoo Hyun ah, send Seung Hyun-ssi back.” Seung Hyun’s hand immediately extended his hand to the closing door. The door stopped and opened again as the sensor detected an object in the way, catching all of us aback. I nevertheless glared at him. Is he crazy? He would have hurt himself!

“Choi Seung Hyun-ssi.” President uttered as Seung Hyun stepped out of the van silently. And I knew he was getting impatient with this stubborn man.

“Sajangnim, don’t bother.” I finally said. “You have done your part and were kind to offer him. If he doesn’t want to go back, he can stay out and welcome a swarm of reporters.” I bowed to President in the car to see him off, but President was known to be a man who knew what he wanted.

“We have made things very clear. Jung is my artiste. I don’t allow you to spend time with her.”

“Jung is my girlfriend.” Is Seung Hyun’s response. It was declared with so much finality that I knew did not only make me surprised. “In the eyes of Mr President, I am no one. But in the eyes of the public, I am Jung’s boyfriend. The hospital is a public place and I can be with Jung if I want to.” And with a 90-degree bow that lasted for a long five-seconds, he turned around and walked passed me to the lift lobby. I turned to President.

“Sajangnim, thank you for today. I promise nothing will happen. Rest well.” And I bowed as well. Even though I did not show it, I was really upset at Seung Hyun. I don’t understand what that was for and I really did not wish to see him any longer. But then again, he proved to me that the incident in the carpark was not his crazily act.

“Are you serious?” I immediately stood up from the bed upon his request. The moment the nurse left after attaching the tube to my wrist, he requested for Jin Hye to leave the room. Neither did he raise his voice nor sounded rude. Nevertheless, I dragged the tube with me as I stood between him and Jin Hye.

“I want to talk to Jung. Please grant us some privacy.” His gaze remained fixed on Jin Hye.

“You may talk to her. But it is not possible for me leave you two alone.” Jin Hye replied. She sounded calm, like she could understand Seung Hyun’s behaviour yet unable to disobey President.

“She is my girlfriend. I won’t hurt her.” I could not believe how irritated it could get by hearing him making unnecessary emphasis that we were a couple. Just as I was about to push him as a warning, his next sentence stunned me even more.

“Or do I need to drag you out and make a commotion in the hospital?”

Right from the spot when we left the court, his gaze held no emotions and his voice was monotonous. And never did he look at me in the eyes. Not even once.

“Just what in the world do you want?” I hissed, angry at the treatment he was giving my team. First, it was President and now, Jin Hye who was extremely close to me.

“This is a sincere favour. I want to be alone with Jung.” Seung Hyun avoided all eye contact with me, and maintained his unwavering gaze at Jin Hye.

“Choi Seung Hyun-ssi, I will be watching you.” And Jin Hye turned to check if I was okay before heading out. I was taking in deep breaths to calm myself. The door closed quietly and he finally looked at me in the eyes, unintimidated by the death glares that I was giving him.

“Who do you think you are?” I breathed deeply as I watched him steadily stepped towards me, my hand gripping tight on the drip stand and my other clenching into a fist. I can’t believe I dated such an ill-mannered man for four years!

“Just who the hell do you think you are?” Gritting my teeth, I demanded again in a louder voice. I was dumbfounded when he kept quiet yet again, only reaching for my hand and pulled it off the stand gently. He reached down again for my other balling fist and peeled off my fingers which were digging into my palm. His gaze changed to a soft one, with a tinge of fatigue and heartbreak. But I just could not acknowledge that. I had my mind blown in the court just less than an hour ago and he just has to treat the people in my agency like they were !

Could not hold back any further, I kicked him in the shin and sent a punch to his chest. I breathed through my mouth as tears gushed up to my eyes and blurred my vision. He annoyed me even more when he did not even budge or make a sound. Just as my tears rolled down my cheeks, he came crashing into me, holding me in a firm yet gentle embrace. Holding my breath, I halted and sniffled like a loser as my mind tried to make some sense of what just happened. Seung Hyun moved his arm from my shoulders to my waist and encircled it tightly to bring me closer to him while keeping his other hand at the back of my head. More tears came falling when I belatedly understood his behaviour. He knows I will never show it even if I was dying inside.

“I told you I will not leave you to face all these alone. I have promised you that you are not alone in this.” I started sobbing upon his soft and gentle bass-like voice. I remembered the little argument we had at Dreams’ Inn on the day Yeh Jin’s mother went to the home to look for Yeh Jin, and the little heart-warming moment we shared when he gave me his promise between our fight.

“You are such a jerk! Don’t treat the people at my agency this way…!” I cried, ignoring what he said and gave him a piece of my mind. Probably knowing that I was using that as an excuse to hide the true and initial reason that was causing my breakdown, he snuggled his face deeper into my neck and kept quiet. He said something, but I did not catch it. And for the remaining time, he just held me close and listened to my cries and accepted all the vents I threw at him.

The battle in the courts continued for many long, painful months. President, Seung Hyun and I were given no mercy at all as the attacks from Mr Woo came firing at us. During the fifth month, it was finally the day of the last trial. It will also be the same day when the court will decide on which party would be granted Yeh Jin’s custody. My mind was filled with Yeh Jin as I knew she would be the most anxious for the outcome. I was not in my right mind as I sat at the bench with President and Seung Hyun. Time was ticking away and we were waiting for the judge to return to the court to announce the decision. I prayed endlessly. The more I prayed, the more uneasy I felt. Unknowingly, my hands shook and I only realised they did when a firm and warm grip landed on them. Looking down only to see Seung Hyun’s hand, I turned to face his reassuring gaze.

“Don’t worry.”

Just then, the judge came back and I tore my gaze away from Seung Hyun. Torn between anxiety to know the results and wanting to escape from all drama, my head hanged low as I closed my eyes. Somehow, I did not want to know the results anymore. I don’t think I will win the case. Does this mean I will never be able to see Yeh Jin again? Then I should have spent more time with her instead of leaving her to live at the home. What the heck is wrong with me? Remorse hit me hard and I could hear it reprimanding me in my ears. What if Mrs Kim is still angry after all this have happened and refused to allow Yeh Jin to even give me a call? What if Mrs Kim force Yeh Jin to listen to her? What if-

Disturbed when Seung Hyun’s grip suddenly tightened, I jumped as I fell back into this cruel reality. My brain that was previously bombarded with plenty of the unthinkable was now opened to hearing the judge’s voice which took me a few seconds to recognise.

“With Miss Kim Yeh Jin’s custody granted to Miss Yi Jung, I declared that this is final and there will be no appeals.” I didn’t quite understand it and my mind was still affected by my worries until I heard Mrs Kim yelled in objection. However, my consciousness was again disrupted when President and Seung Hyun rose to their feet and Yeh Jin came running to us. Her body came crushing to me and she finally let out her tears. What? Is she going to leave me? If she is, then is she allowed to come to me like that? My eyes quickly searched for Mrs Kim, seeing the judge stepping out at the corners of my eyes. I found Mrs Kim but before I could even see her clearly, Seung Hyun and my managers shifted and surrounded me.

“Unnie…!” I heard Yeh Jin’s voice and looked down to her. Probably noticing that I was still confused, Jin Hye wrapped her arm around my shoulders and said.

“We got to go. There are reporters outside. I will be bringing Yeh Jin back into the van first. You follow Yoo Hyun oppa. Keep your speech short. Just say you are thankful and you will work harder to bring up the girl.” And she had already started guiding us out. And only did I realise what had happened.

Yeh Jin is staying with me.

Tears was shot up my eyes as I walked towards the door but Yoo Hyun stopped me just as I was about to step out. He seemed to be waiting. Watching as Jin Hye escorted Yeh Jin out quickly with a protective arm around her shoulders, I turned to Yoo Hyun in puzzlement. My ears caught the noise and questions the moment the two went out and was about to question Yoo Hyun’s pause until he gave me a nod.

“Step out now. You did not do anything wrong, so don’t look like you are a criminal.” He walked out with me and I immediately spotted the two a few metres ahead of me, squeezed between the demanding crowd with a few bodyguards pushing the reporters back. The way Yeh Jin had her head held low and clung onto Jin Hye clenched my heart. However, all the attention was now diverted to me the moment I appeared at the hallway. They all stopped pouncing on the girls and dashed towards my directions and the bodyguards behind me immediately stepped out and created space for me.

“Yi Jung-ssi, how do you feel about the courts’ decision?”

“You are currently facing health issues. How are you going to take care of Miss Kim Yeh Jin?”

“How are you going to balance work and the responsibilities of the child?”

“Does that mean you are not going to allow Miss Kim Yeh Jin and her biological mother to reunite?”

“Will you be taking a break from the entertainment industry?”

“Yi Jung-ssi, please answer our questions…!”

I took in a deep breath and looked up to face everyone.

“Thank you for all the concern everyone has been showing all this while. As much as I am sorry for causing worry for everyone, I am thankful of the decision and will work harder to care for Miss Kim Yeh Jin. Miss Kim Yeh Jin is an important kin to me and I could not be more grateful. I will be more responsible as a guardian. Thank you.” And I gave a bow that lasted for a few seconds while my eyes closed for a moment and temporarily shutting off the blinding camera lights before opening them again when I was ready to leave. I lifted my head and Yoo Hyun tugged on me towards the door, not allowing anymore chances for the reports to stop me with questions.

When we were back in the van, Yeh Jin and I were a crying mess. I held her close to me as she continuously teared up and whined at how hard her stay was when she was away.

“But Ahjeossi, Seung Hyun oppa and you called me often. So I felt better. Oh, where is Ahjeossi and oppa?” Her head lifted off my chest at the realisation. Oh right!

“We had arranged another driver to drive Sajangnim and Seung Hyun-ssi. They have safely boarded the vehicle. Don’t worry about it.” Jin Hye clarified once I shot my eyes to her. We were driven back to my place and what my parents did was heart-warming. They gave Yeh Jin a big hug at the doorstep and served food to her, taking care of her like she was her child. They kept her accompanied by talking to her in basic English and managed to get Yeh Jin to open up to her. Only until Yeh Jin had finished her meal and excused herself to use the toilet did they turn to me. We smiled at one another.

“I hope you don’t feel neglected.” My mother smiled as she reached across the table and finally held my hand when we were alone. I shook my head.

“I have not felt that kind of warmth in a long time. I could not thank you and Dad enough, for accepting Yeh Jin.”

“The sweet girl is the one who accompanied you when you were alone. We are more thankful to that little giant.”

“Little giant?” I smiled with glistening eyes.

“Small yet going beyond bravery and doing things that are not expected of them. You and Yeh Jin are little giants.” I laughed, eyes spilling out of control. “I told you only good things will happen to you. I am so grateful and comforted that you are still as kind in this messy entertainment industry. Now stop crying.” I sniffled and quickly wiped the tears. “We have just managed to calm down the girl. Don’t dampen the mood.” Nodding furiously, my smiles remained and that was when Yeh Jin stepped out. She bowed to my parents and thanked them for the meal. My parents did not allow her to help with washing the dishes and shooed her away to get a shower. Staying behind in the kitchen with my parents even though they wanted to me get some rest, I talked to them as they busied themselves.

“At first, I was worried you would go astray.” My mum muttered as she placed the leftover dishes in the fridge. “It’s the entertainment industry after all. It’s the kind of place where you kill or get killed, right?”

“It’s not that bad.” I laughed lightly. She shot me a look.

“Since you were a child, I have always told you. Rather than getting bullied, I would rather you bully others.” I nodded, remembering my kindergarten days when the teacher made a feedback to my mother when I bit on my male classmate in retaliation. And my mother was totally at my side without even asking why I did that, believing that the classmate must have annoyed me first. “So if you need to, just bite.”

“I don’t want my daughter to step into the court again. Stop teaching our daughter the wrong stuff.” My father joked and we all laughed. My mum then came to my side, holding onto my cheeks lightly.

“This is how the world works, my daughter. People target the kind. Be kind but don’t get bullied, okay?”

“I know. But no one is bullying me.” I reassured.

My parents were entertaining themselves with games on their phone in the living room when I stepped out of the shower. Heading back to my room to see Yeh Jin talking on the phone by the window, I ignored her and went to the dressing table. Removing my contact lens and putting on my spectacles, I proceeded to apply some hand cream until Yeh Jin called.

“Unnie,” I looked up and saw her stepping towards me. “Seung Hyun oppa.” She said as she passed her phone to me. I hesitated a little, but still rubbed my hands quickly for a few times before reaching for the device. Watching as she left with her tumbler, I knew she was going to refill her drink as an excuse to leave me alone to talk. Even though I don’t mind if she stays.

“Yeoboseyo?”

“It’s me.” I hummed. “How is everything at your side?”

“So far so good. Yeh Jin is adapting well with my parents.” I told him, knowing that I was not the only one worried for Little Yeh Jin. “What about you? Did the reporters harass you at the court?”

“We left only when the reporters were gone.” I slightly heaved a sigh of relief and questioned hesitantly again.

“Nothing happened between you and Sajangnim, right?”

“You gave me a good scolding after I talked back at your president. I didn’t dare to do it again.” His reply made me chuckled quietly before it was silence again.

“Thank you.” I broke the silence first and it was yet another long pause.

“For what?”

“For going through this. It must have brought a lot of inconvenience at your side.” I could imagine the criticism and judgement he received on and offline in regards to Yeh Jin’s custody. Attending court hearings was a pain and yet, he was present for every session.

“It is not inconvenient if I did it willingly.” His soft reply came in a low whisper and my heart warmed up before fluttering.

“Even so, thank you.”

“Anyway, I did not call to get you to thank me.” My brows raised when he said that, waiting for him to continue. “I told the boys about the court’s decision and they are dying to see Yeh Jin. I told Yeh Jin earlier on and she said you two might have to lay low.” I smiled to myself at how mature Yeh Jin was, at the same time heartbroken that she had to go through the life of an adult at a young age.

“We have to be careful. I want to stay out of the limelight. It wouldn’t be good for anyone of us if we appear on the headlines again. Especially for Yeh Jin.”

“Ji Yong has offered his place at Jeju. It’s safe.” My heart still prickled a little when the name of Ji Yong’s came from his mouth and I tried to listen for any hint of tension. “Yah, you said you are thankful to me.” Pulled back from my trance at his sudden attempt to be friendly, I was interrupted again when I was about to speak. “If you are really thankful, do us a favour. Yeh Jin probably needs a break too.”

“But…”

“Come on, it is a gathering with everyone. And bringing Yeh Jin to casual gatherings would not be controversial too.” I sighed quietly.

“I will check with Sajangnim first.”

“Let Yeh Jin do it.”

“What? Why?” I frowned.

“Your president is obviously holding personal grudges against me. If you were to ask him, he won’t agree. But he has a soft spot for the girl. I have told Yeh Jin to ask him personally.” Rolling my eyes, I said.

“Don’t get Yeh Jin to do such things and get involve in our issue.”

“I did not tell her about our break-up. I only told her that your president dotes on her and might want her to lay low but will not turn down requests if she makes it clear that she wants to come.”

“I can’t believe you are teaching the girl on how to play games.”

“Yeh Jin is smart. She does not need me to teach.”

“Don’t about her.” I argued protectively.

“Whatever. If your president agrees, and you are not worried about Yeh Jin spending a night alone in Jeju with us, then let me know. I will fetch her.”

“Over my death bed.” I shot, eyes widened at his outrageous request.

“Then I guess I will be seeing you soon too.”

It took about four and a half months for the court case to come to a conclusion and two weeks after the court ruling, I was onboard a plane to Jeju with Yeh Jin. My managers were not with us and I was a little conscious and fidgety. However, I was still glad and comforted when I saw how happy Yeh Jin was about this whole gathering with Big Bang.

Seung Hyun came to the airport to fetch us and the world belonged to only Seung Hyun and Yeh Jin. The moment he had come and pulled our luggage for us, the two had already started talking. I gladly let Yeh Jin had the front seat and they continued to chirped throughout the journey to Ji Yong’s villa. This gave me the opportunity to relax and get my mind off all the episodes in Seoul. I was more than happy to be free from the pressure of playing the couple game with Seung Hyun since Yeh Jin was so caught up with talking to her brother. The road was relatively empty and I quietly wind down the window, allowing the sea breeze to enter the vehicle as we travelled towards west of the island. I rested my elbow on the window frame and supported my chin with the hand, feeling my eyes gradually closing. I felt the speed of the car go slower as I dozed off lightly, my other hand pulling my cardigan tighter around me.

My eyes flapped opened when I felt the car came to a halt and the engine went quiet.

“Unnie…” I smiled as I looked up to see Yeh Jin turned back to me with a beautiful smile that immediately brightened my surrounding. Such a lovely girl. She grinned and unbuckled her safety belt, quickly opening the door and coming to my side. Opening my door, she waited for me to come out before hugging my arm and followed me to the boot to help Seung Hyun retrieve our luggage. Just as I was about to reach for the handle of our heavy luggage to give Seung Hyun a hand, he turned his back against me, blocking and making me move out of his way. I awkwardly stood there as he passed the luggage to Yeh Jin who took over and playfully pushed it with her body weight. Witnessing her getting cheeky with her tricks, lying on her stomach on the luggage and gliding on pebbled pavement towards the villa, I was about to call out and lecture her when the door burst open, with Dae Sung coming out first. Young Bae followed behind. The two smiled to the little girl like fathers and embraced her protectively.

“Jungie…~” They sang when they saw me, releasing the girl and giving me big, exaggerated waves.

“Oppa…” I called with a laugh, leaving Seung Hyun behind as I headed towards the two smiling angels.

“Oh my Jung, it has been hard on you.” The two gave me a brief hug, yet full of affections.

“I’m sorry to have made you all worry.” They laughed with a small shook of their head and led me in.

Ji Yong and Seung Ri were busy preparing dinner at the backyard. I smiled to the two and was immediately invited to sit. Dinner was BBQ today and we were spoiled by the boys who practically served me and Yeh Jin.

“Sit down and eat.” I told them when they kept refilling our plates with meat. I was enjoying a small bowl of herbal soup that Ji Yong boiled for hours. It tasted so good and calming to the soul.

We had hours of long chats during the meal and the topic suddenly made a turn when Yeh Jin mentioned the Paris trip with Ji Yong.

“Oh, oppa. I’m waiting for my trip to France.” Yeh Jin chirped, taking a gulp of Cola from her glass. I could suddenly feel all eyes fell on us.

“Sure, set a date.” Ji Yong replied without a thought, tearing the chicken wing apart and stuffing it into his mouth.

“Why aren’t we invited?” Dae Sung cried.

“Ji Yong oppa is paying. Ask him.” Upon Yeh Jin’s reply, I was observing the rest. Seung Ri and Young Bae looked pretty surprised that Ji Yong planning a trip with us and when I turned to Seung Hyun, he had his eyes on me.

“Oh, see… Seung Hyun hyung is jealous.” Seung Ri, who was the only one in the group who did not know what happened between me and Seung Hyun nonchalantly uttered, his fingers and throwing out a pork rib bone. “You should at least invite him to join if you are bringing his girlfriend overseas.” That instance, I could feel the tension which made poor Dae Sung and Young Bae freeze in their seat.

“I thought his girlfriend would have told him.” Ji Yong counter-attacked, which made my eyes widened. How can he push the blame to me like that…?

“Discussing the trip and giving opinion were all I did. I did not agree.” Giving a lame excuse, I defended, feeling uncomfortable at where this was going to lead to.

“Go. Give yourself a break and take some time off from work.” All heads spun to Seung Hyun when he said that.

“See…! I have always told you guys that Seung Hyun oppa is actually more generous and open-hearted than you guys think.” Yeh Jin concluded with an innocent smile, too young to understand the games of the adult world. On the other hand, I was still watching Seung Hyun but he had turned away and fed himself another piece of lamb meat.

“Wait.” I interrupted, gaining everyone’s attention. I continued as I turned to Ji Yong. “The trip might need to be postponed. I have talked to my agency about it and they were worried about my treatments while on the trip. I’m sorry. I should have told you all earlier.” President’s voice sounded in my ears as I remembered the day when he called just to give me a good scolding for ridiculously believing I could survive in Paris for half a month. He also yelled at me and told me to maintain a distance with anyone under YG Entertainment. Yeh Jin pouted in disappointment and I reached over and caressed the side of her head.

“We can also go to Paris when I get better. I’m sorry about it. Can this short getaway in Jeju compensate?”

“Okay. Unnie’s health is more important.” I smiled and glanced at Ji Yong giving me a blank look before shrugging and turning away.

After dinner, Yeh Jin had dragged all of her brothers to the living and played the play-station till midnight. I was getting a little sleepy waiting for them until I had to stop to put the girl to bed when it was 1AM. We all returned to the guestrooms Ji Yong prepared for us and after I made sure Yeh Jin had gone to bed, I left the room to wash up. When I stepped out of the bathroom, I noticed soft, dim lights shone from the kitchen. Slowly making my way over, I saw Ji Yong’s backview as he was facing the window. A few beer cans were laying on the kitchen island that he was leaning against.

“Oppa…” I called as I quietly stepped over, smiling weakly when he spun around in quick reflex.

“Oh, why are you here? Do you need anything?” He watched as I continued towards him.

“I came down to wash up and saw lights from the kitchen. Why are you not sleeping?”

“I’m going to after finishing this.” He motioned to the beer can in his hand before placing it on the island and went to the water dispenser at the side. I waited and accepted the mug of warm water that he offered.

“Thanks.” I took small sips as he continued enjoying the beer in silence while we stood side by side until I broke the ice. “I’m really sorry though. About the trip.”

“I understand and kind of expected it.” To my relief, he gave a smile as he raised his can to his lips again. “It’s a little crazy for us to go for a long trip at this point in time, right? You have your drips and you are coming with me after all. I’m sure your agency is worried.” I smiled in gratitude at his understanding without me spelling it out. “Do you want to come look at the sea? If I can’t bring the forest to you, then I can at least bring you the sea.” It was a fact that I loved both the forest and the sea, but nevertheless it made me frown in confusion as Ji Yong walked passed me and I took it as a cue to follow him.

We came to the roof and immediately upon stepping out in the open air, I was delighted. Ji Yong chuckled at my widened eyes as I gaped at the sight of the vast, endless black sea ahead of us.

“Wahhhhhh… We should have had our dinner here instead!” I cried. How great would it be to have a meal while feasting on this breath-taking scenary…

“No way. This belongs to me.” With nonchalance, he lit a cigarette and inhaled a puff.

“Childish…” I rolled my eyes but still followed him to the wooden outdoor couch. With my eyes never leaving the calm waters, I slowly sat on the cushion and made myself comfortable while Ji Yong sat next to me. I knew I was completely relaxed when my mind was blank. At first, I was not sure if keeping Yeh Jin by my side was the right choice. Even though we have grown attached to one another, I knew I could never be a mother to Yeh Jin and the girl clearly yearned for a mother although she was too stubborn to admit. However, witnessing how happy she was today made me realised that I might be thinking too much. If I think I did not do well in the past, I just need to work harder to provide for Yeh Jin and be more like a mother now to show how much she meant to me.

“Are you feeling better?” My train of thoughts was disrupted when Ji Yong voiced. Turning to him, I nodded with a reassuring smile.

“After the court case, things have been a lot better. Minus the headlines.” He snorted and I laughed. We can never escape from reporters.

“ them all.” He mumbled under his breath before taking another gulp from his can.

“Yah, you are spoiling the nice atmosphere.” I pointed out, motioning to the peaceful body of water before us.

“Yah? Are you crazy?” He frowned at me and I closed my eyes upon realisation. I knew he did not take it to heart but I surprised myself at that slip of tongue.

“I’m sorry.” And I had to admit that I was getting too comfortable with Ji Yong. “But I thought you hope I am more comfortable with you?”  And that got him. He pretended to think.

“I should be glad then.” And like he was trying to prove his point, he slung his arm over my shoulder and leaned his head on it. I should have pushed him away but at that moment, everything appeared innocent and no one was here to judge. I did not feel any pressure and my soul felt another wave of healing effect as another breeze came, prompting me to close my eyes.

When the mug in my hands turned icy cold, I bumped my thigh onto Ji Yong’s.

“What?” His eyes were closed.

“You should go to bed already.”

“I should start giving some serious thoughts of setting a tent here.” Sitting up straight, he stood up and waited for me.

“You definitely should.”

When we returned to Seoul the next day, Jung Jun told me that he was at Dreams’ Inn together with his sister, Hye Jung. I had actually briefly met Hye Jung once but because I was caught up in all the ‘drama’, I could not catch up with her as much even though I gave her my number and told her to always feel free to contact me when she needed anything.

“Oh, you are back from Japan?”

“Just for a Happy Together recording later in the afternoon. Will be taking the midnight flight back.”

“I see.”

“Shall we go over to meet you? We bought you stuff from Japan.”

“It’s okay. I will go over. Yeh Jin is with me. Promise me that you two will not fight.” I heard him snort and gave a half-hearted ‘hm’.

After I put down the phone, I turned and smiled at Yeh Jin who was lying on the sofa while reading a detective fiction novel.

“Shall we go for coffee?” Quietly squatting down beside her, I waited as she thought for a moment before nodding. She sat up and left the book on the table before heading to the bathroom to get ready.

“Jung Jun and his sister are there too. You will be nice, right?” Responding with a snort similar to Jung Jun, she rolled her eyes and nodded again.

When I reached Dreams’ Inn, there were zero customers so I was pretty glad. Bong Soon told us she will serve us drinks and told us to go upstairs instead. Giving her a smile full of gratitude, I gave her a rub at the back.

“Thank you so much.” I whispered and earned myself a reassuring pat. Bong Soon and the rest of the staff had been in close contact with me and I had updated them along the way. They were also among the people who were worried sick for me.

We headed to the room where the staff and I held meetings and Yeh Jin made herself comfortable on the couch as she smiled sweetly at Bong Soon when she received her brown sugar milk.

“Unnie is the best…!”

“It’s so nice to see you again, little one.” Bong Soon hugged the tray at her stomach and slightly bent down to meet Yeh Jin’s eye level. “Unnie has been missing you so much.” Yeh Jin rose to her feet and gave the elder a bear hug, pressing her cheek on her shoulder with a cheeky grin. Bong Soon laughed, and they two embraced while swaying side to side. When they parted, Bong Soon told us that she will be downstairs before leaving the room as Jung Jun came in with Hye Jung. Yeh Jin bowed awkwardly at the two before snuggling at the couch as she dug out the novel to continue reading. It was the first time Yeh Jin met Hye Jung and she probably needed some time to warm up. Smiling at the both of them, I went over to Hye Jung.

“Hey there, how are you doing?” Hye Jung gave a polite smile and nodded. Her long straight black hair flowed smoothly down her shoulders and her black almond-shaped eyes stood out from her fair skin. When I first saw her, I was taken aback because she did not look like she was from the countryside. She looked elegant and had the vibes of a young adult working in the city. Her shy nature was also what made her stand out. I can totally imagine the male students in school going crazy for her. Just imagine a fair, long-haired beauty sitting by herself and too shy to speak up… Jung Jun may get too busy trying to keep bees away from this flower.

“Everything is good, unnie. Oppa has made sure I have the necessities so I have been staying in comfort. Please do not worry.” Giving a nod as I was feeling relief, I turned to Jung Jun when he extended out his arm and passed me a brown paper bag.

“Thank you, but you guys don’t have to.” I nagged.

“We just thought it would look good on you.”

“Can I take a look?” He nodded flippantly and I looked inside the bag. They bought me a dress! “Wah… You guys even have time to go shopping…” I laid the dressed out on the table, admiring the piece with a wide smile. It was a peach maxi-dress with lace details taking up the sleeves and the chest area. It’s so beautiful. Rolling his eyes, I did not miss the slight hint of embarrassment that passed his eyes in a flash.

“Eun Sung noona dragged us to the store after a recording. We did not shop.”

“Oooohhhhh, you finally called her noona.” In contrary to my teasing words, I was so proud of him. He has definitely grown up! He sighed in irritant.

“I have been addressing her that way for quite some time already. Stop teasing me.” I laughed lightly.

“Thank you. I love it. I will text the Kyung In and Eun Sung to thank them.” We turned to couch when we heard soft laughters only to see Yeh Jin and Hye Jung chatting away happily, which surprised us at how quickly they got close. I turned to glance back to Jung Jun and uttered quietly. “But, really. Your sister is looking like a fairy. Does she have male students around her? These things can get quite troublesome.” Stopping when he sighed openly, I questioned again with widened eyes. “She already has, right?”

“Aish, those boys…” I laughed at that funny sight of him rolling his eyes in frustration as if he was reminded of something bad.

“Does she complain to you already?”

“Of course! I am her only kin. Who would she confide to other than me?” He talked back and I could tell he really hated the idea of males coming close to his sister.

“Yah, it’s good to watch over your sister but don’t be over-protective. You are only going to tire her.”

“I am more annoyed because I am not in Korea often. And she does not even dare to yell at them to get lost.” I continued staring at him and knew I was going to look at him differently from now on. Rather than a brother, he looked more like a father to me. He is genuinely worried for Hye Jung. And at that moment, I knew he was at the same time proud that his beautiful sister was popular and yet, worried that he could not be there when she needed him.

“If you could, remind her to call me anytime she needs anything. I promise you, I will do all I can to help her.” Before he could even reply me, we heard Hye Jung’s sweet, happy voice.

“Oppa, Yeh Jin’s school is just next to mine!”

“Looks like you two have become friends.” I commented with a warm, motherly smile, already knowing that they could click well. And they both grinned before going back to the book that Yeh Jin had brought with her.

 

===

Hello everyone! 

I was surprised myself how long it has been since my last update. So sorryyyyyyyy! Can this chapter be a compensation? I have two more chapters in draft and hopefully the next few chapters will be ready soon.

As for the story, I know in situations involving court cases, the duration could take up to a few years for it to come to a conclusion. But I shortened the duration just for the story, so things will not be draggy. I am not good at court scenarios because I am not familiar with legal jargons and how lawyers and judges speak. So I hope this chapter is fine. 

Please feel free to let me know your thoughts!

So grateful for your never-ending support! ^^

 

Posted on 190819, 1:04AM