Chapter 33

You And I 2

Fingers fiddling, I sat still in President's office. It had been hours and I have not fidget a bit. I know I should be paying the most attention to the lawyer, Mr Shin as he discussed the case with President and I, but I just couldn't. My mind was in a mess. Even though soon after I found Yeh Jin so many years back, President had made me and himself her legal guardians, I realised I was still at the disadvantage. There was evidence that Yeh Jin was under my care, but yet she was left in the home most of the time. President, who was partly responsible for her, did not took care of her like he should. Because of my job, I was always overseas. If not, I was too tired myself to pay extra attention to Yeh Jin. But that was not the worst part. My anorexic condition had pushed me deeper down into the pit. I could not even take care of myself, let alone a growing teenager.

"However, I will place emphasis on how Miss Kim Yeh Jin had managed to recover from depression under your care. And I will demand for an explanation from the opposite party why they only started contacting Miss Kim recently." Mr Shin relayed his plans to us with an assuring smile. "It's going to be a difficult battle. But trust me. I am confident." I forced a smile while I bowed to him.

The long meeting finally ended after another couple of hours until Mr Shin had left to prepare for the court case. Another meeting had been set but I remained rooted to the ground even though he had walked out. President noticed and walked to me after closing the door.

"Don't worry. Mr Shin is the best. He is very experienced in custody cases." His soothing voice did not calm me this time. "We are going to keep Yeh Jin. I promise you." Still staring at my fingers, I nodded weakly.

When I arrived at the door of my studio, my hand stopped at the handle. Taking a deep breath, I opened the door and flashed my most natural smile to Yeh Jin who had spun her head to me. Since I was her legal guardian, I was able to take her with me throughout the case.

"Yeh Jin ah, let's go home." She nodded before standing up and I held her hand firmly in mine knowing that she was feeling scared.

"Are we going to your house?" I nodded with the same smile as I pulled a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

"I have informed my parents you are coming and they can't wait to have you around."

As expected, the news of the court case spread like wild fire a few days ago so the reporters were eagerly waiting at the entrance of the agency. They were aggressive and harsh, so much so that Yoo Hyun had to speak up.

"Please move! She is just a child!" But of course, no one cared. Yeh Jin clung to my back in surprise in the midst of all the shoving and yelling. I had my arms to my back to protect her and could feel her cringe and whimper. We literally let out the breath that we unknowing held once we were in the van. I immediately turned to Yeh Jin who was still recovering from shock.

"Are you okay?" I asked gently with a hand patting her back. Her gaze was still shaky but she was starting to relax. She gave me a small smile as she nodded while the van continued speeding down the road.

We got passed another round of squeezing at the entrance of my apartment before getting in the lift. My parents were very welcoming and invited Yeh Jin inside the moment they saw her. Even though there was a communication barrier, they were always smiling like nothing happened. In fact, they hosted her the exact way like they did when my friends came to my place back in Singapore.

"Unnie, what are the plans now?" She asked when I brought her into my room to rest. Sitting on the floor by the bed where she was, a hand on top of hers, I smiled warmly.

"You are going to stay with me. For school, we will need to monitor the situation. When it gets too out of control, you might need to stop school temporary." I explained and she simply nodded.

"And there might be people talking about you in school. If it gets unbearable, you must tell me. I will talk to the school to excuse you from classes. Don't be too worried. Anywhere you need to go, there will be someone accompanying you. Be brave." I did not want her to stress over the case but it seemed like she wasn't handling the situation well.

"Okay."

I wanted Yeh Jin to attend school as much as she could. Getting her academics affected did not seem ideal so we made special arrangements to chauffeur her. She claimed that no one spoke anything about the case in the campus but I know better that it was impossible. I continued to monitor her condition for the first week until I decided for her to get a break from school. But just as I thought I could do any help to her, I received a call to have Yeh Jin brought away. I was extremely shocked and defensive until President phone me and told me to follow the authorities’ instructions. Apparently, Yeh Jin's mother, Mrs Kim had requested to distant me and Yeh Jin during the course of the court case in fear that I might say and do things that may affect the judgement of Yeh Jin since she would need to give her testimonial in the court too. Yeh Jin agreed to obey and I accompanied her to the home. The environment was fine and there were staff and counsellors taking care of Yeh Jin so I was rest assured.

"Unnie, what if they brainwash me to go against you?" Flashing a motherly smile upon her unexpected worries, I secured both of her hands in mine.

"No one picked this home for you to stay. It is controlled by the government and the staff here are not standing at anyone's side. And plus, they say you could call me and visits are allowed. I will call and visit you everyday. Don't be afraid. This is going to end soon and we are going back home."

As I left the building after reassuring Yeh Jin that she would be in safe hands, I let out a sigh. I didn't know if I was trying to calm her or myself. My heart was beating an unsteady rhythm and all I could do was sigh and worry. I am scared and have no one to lean on. Clenching on my jaws just as tears were threatening to fall, I glanced upwards to keep them in. Jin Hye and Yoo Hyun actually wanted to send me back first before going back to the TV station to settle some work. But since the TV station was on the same route back to my place, I suggested that I could wait in the car for them. They were unwilling but I thought there was no issues since public could not access the underground car park.

"I promise I would not move a finger." I smiled when they both were too worried to leave me here. "Quickly run along." Watching as they gave me a last look before jogging to the lift, I turned back to the front as I rolled down the window, leaving a very small gap just to let the air ventilate. I had my eyes closed as I rested, feeling a little drained. I will be dropping by the hospital today so I just had to bear for a few more hours. When I was about to fall into a slumber, I heard faint urgent footsteps rushing towards my directions and strained my eyes opened in reflex upon the disturbance.

"Her car is not around. Did u see wrongly?"

"I swear I saw her car turning in. I have been tailing her for hours. Just trust me on this." Getting alert, I instantly sat up and spun to my side, spotting two males carrying heavy cameras brisk-walking towards the other side of the car park. Panicking, I knew it was only a matter of time that they find my car. With my hand on the door handle, I rolled up the window and waited for them to move further away before opening the door and dashing for the lift. Thank God Yoo Hyun parked the van just next to the lift lobby. Without thinking much, I pushed the button for the top storey. I didn't know where my managers would be and I didn't want to attract any more attention since I was supposed to be at home instead of the TV station. Arriving with a ping, I turned and headed to the emergency exit and immediately made my way up to the rooftop. Only when I pushed the metal door open and saw that the area was empty did I heaved a sigh of relief. Finally, I am alone. A gush of wind came and I shivered badly in my padded jacket, all the while panting like crazy. Frantically scanning the area with my hands rubbing my arms, I brisk-walked towards the rows of turbo engines at the side and squatted between them. It was warm and my mood immediately got slight better. The heat packs in my pockets had frozen after hours so the amount of heat I was able to receive with pure luck was really a saviour. Slowly dropping my to the ground after deciding that this will be the best place while I wait for my managers, I leaned back against the dirty metal. Even though I was a clean freak, heat was all it mattered then. My eyes closed, feeling my body gradually warming up against the comfortable heat as I curled into a tight ball. Hugging my legs, I knew when I was half conscious until I heard the swung door open. Being too tired, I could not open my eyes, but yet afraid to let myself fall asleep. What if they are reporters?

"Oppa, no one saw her coming here. You are thinking too much." My heart literally sank upon that voice. There was no response, just the howling wind.

"Even the reporters couldn't find her. Do you think we can?" Was her next attempt to get the stubborn man to listen.

"You won't understand, Min Ah yah." After an open sigh, the voice that made my heart do a somersault rang in the empty space. By then, I was fully awake. However, I willed my eyes to remain close in fear of what might unfold in my sight.

"Her managers would never leave her alone. Since they are with the producer, she will definitely be around the area."

"And you think she's here?"

"I'm just trying my luck." I could picture Seung Hyun wearing a bitter smile with a helpless look. With a click, I knew a cigarette was lit as his mind ran wild.

"I really don't understand. After everything that had happened, you still get so affected by her? Why are you allowing such a person to hurt you?" There was a pause until he spoke.

"I thought I would hate her after all these that had happened. She hurt me and I felt betrayed. In fact, I have decided to get rid of her in my life. But I realise I could not." Seung Hyun took another pause, as if to think before continuing. "When I was younger, someone talked to me about love-hate relationships. I am a person who loves and hates easily. So I was unable to understand the logic behind the saying 'the more you hate, the more you love'. To me, it's never the same thing. I am very clear of my own feelings. But now, I don't know anymore. All I am sure is, I love Jung more than before." My eyes slowly opened to a view blurred by tears. W-what?

"Jung and I seldom come to an agreement anymore and our conversations always do not end with a good note. I hate her for going against everything I said. I was obviously only doing things for her own good but all she did is to pick a fight with me. I am tired of all these. So I thought we should end everything. I thought I could hate her. But I found myself even more worried for her. At the tiniest news, even a mention of her name, I need to see her to make sure she is safe. I don’t know since when, but I have started loving her so much more than I could handle." My eyes closed again as I wiped my tears quietly and steadied my breathing, all the while warning myself to remain absolutely silent. With the both of them behind me, I unconsciously but carefully slid deeper down against the engine to hide myself.

"Then what about the people around you?" From Min Ah's voice, I could tell she was upset and exceptionally helpless at Seung Hyun's confession. "There are people who truly love you too. They care for you more than you could ever imagine."

"Call me a selfish man. But other than that person, I don't have any extra energy to spare. She uses every ounce of my energy." It was silence again, probably because Seung Hyun had rendered her speechless.

"Can I have a cigarette from you?" She muttered and ruffles could be heard before a click of the lighter.

"You are not selfish, oppa. It's unnie who is selfish. She should not have made you so worried."

"I am the willing party. She did not ask anything from me." Gushes of wind kept blowing and I only knew their cigarette break was over when I stopped smelling cigarette.

"Let's go back downstairs. It's getting cold and I'm sure unnie is safe. I will try to call her phone later."

"Min Ah yah, didn't I promise you a Japanese meal? Let me buy you dinner tonight." He tried changing the subject with his warm, gentle voice and I knew he was feeling much better as compared to before. And my heart ached a bit, when the fact that talking to Min Ah indeed makes him feel better settled in.

"I would love that." I heard their heels clicking on the cement floor and the door swinging open. Expecting it to slam close, I waited a little longer than it should take.

"What in the world…?" Oh no...

"Oppa..." Min Ah's voice sounded like she was about to stop him from doing something but Seung Hyun's voice rang again.

"I will see you downstairs." It was soon that I heard the door close and slow, steady footsteps coming my way. I knew what I was about to face and I was indeed drowsy from the weather and my fatigue. So when his hands came to gently cup my cheeks, my eyes flapped open but remained only half-lidded. Looking surprised and extremely worried, Seung Hyun quickly removed his coat and wrapped it around me.

"Why are you sleeping here? You are freezing." Tugging the collar close to my neck, he unconsciously moved nearer to me and I felt like crying again when I smelt the familiar smell of cigarette and his perfume. He even shoved heat packs into both my hands and I missed his touch. After all that I heard him say, I had become so vulnerable that I had to clench my jaws and fist my hands to stop myself from jumping into his arms.

“There are paparazzi downstairs. I heard them.” However, I still could not put up a strong front in the end and let out my worries and fears. His eyes were still slightly wide and he nodded before speaking quietly.

“I heard them too.” His big hand squeezed both of my freezing ones while the other pushed the hood of his coat over my head to fend me from the wind. At that moment, it looked like he was not worried about the reporters anymore. He was only concerned whether I was feeling warm enough. While his eyes were checking on my attire, I had my eyes on him instead. I was so glad to be seeing him infront of me after missing him for such a long time. The longingness at my heart felt so painfully familiar.

“My managers are meeting someone but I don’t know where they are.” I felt like a toddler who was at the verge of bursting into tears as she recalled how her classmates bullied her in school.

“I saw them at the corridor. Did you call them?” The both of us stared at one another’s eyes as realisation hit me. How the heck did I not think of that before running out of the van? I really ought to give myself a good scolding.

“I was in a panic.” Looking embarrassed, I told Seung Hyun. “I left my phone in the van.” I was expecting him to be dumbfounded at my stupidity but he only gave an assuring nod before reaching for his phone in his back pocket. I watched as he stood up and walked a few steps away. When he turned back to me as he started speaking to the person at the other line, I heard him promise that he would be with me until they come to fetch me.

“Your managers are coming. I saw reporters lurking around the waiting rooms so I think it is better that we wait here.” I nodded when he squatted infront of me again. Watching as he sat next to me with a distance between us, I spoke.

“You should get going.” I did not want to hold him up from his dinner with Min Ah. He must be feeling hungry since it was already dinner time. He turned to me, staring at me with an unreadable gaze and I guess he might be wondering if I overheard the conversation earlier.

“Wouldn’t your manager and other members be waiting for you?” Since it would be awkward if he caught me eavesdropping, I decided to fake ignorance. Even though I could not be sure if he would buy it. But he actually gave a small smile, like he don’t give a whether I heard his confession during the conversation with Min Ah.

“I have my car with me. I will leave after your managers arrived.”

In less than five minutes, Yoo Hyun emerged from the door. He had excused himself from the meeting even though I had secretly hoped that he would not so I could spend more time with Seung Hyun. I watched as Yoo Hyun bowed once more as he thanked Seung Hyun when we arrived at the car park. Walking up to Seung Hyun as he bowed back, I returned him his coat and weakly said ‘thank you’. When his eyes diverted to mine, there was a pause before he nodded and took the clothing but his warm hand grabbed my cold one instead. Under the thick coat, he gave my hand a firm squeeze that lasted for a second before taking the clothing like we never had any body contact.

Back in our van, Jin Hye said in defeat.

“I’m not saying that it is the worst thing that had happened but is it fated or what? It is such a coincidence! How many of such cases have happened? Every time we leave you, there would be some sort of reason for you to leave the place you promise you would stay rooted to, and then! You would meet your ex-boyfriend.”

“I got goosebumps when I heard Seung Hyun over the line.” Yoo Hyun laughed, shaking his head as he recalled the event earlier. I only smile faintly. It felt kind of weird, when it was supposed to cause all of us to be moody because we met someone that I was not supposed to see ever again, but we were actually feeling in awe. I would like to skip talking about fate and destiny with Seung Hyun but it was good to think that my managers did not feel so awful about meeting him.

“Yoo Hyun oppa, what are we supposed to do with your meeting? You came to fetch me halfway through.” I asked when I thought of it. Times like this make me feel bad.

“It’s okay. Good thing that we were already concluding the meeting.” I smiled to him when he glanced at me through the rear-mirror.

A week had passed and I lived like I had become a caveman. I was instructed not to leave home as the news regarding Yeh Jin’s custody continued to fire up to the daily headlines. The only time I had stepped out of the door was to attend the scheduled meeting with Mr Shin and to get drips from the hospital. The route out of the apartment building was so torturous that it frustrated me. All I could think of was those annoying reporters, their flashing cameras and the headlines. And I hated it because it created a heavy tension within me and my family. My mother was especially feeling uncomfortable with all the worry she had for me and my father was probably masking his emotions in order to not add to my problems. My parents became more cautious when speaking to me in fear that it would hurt me even further. Standing by the window, I looked down to check if the reporters were still around. My mother had voiced her objections when I suggested that I should temporarily move out if the situation was not dying down. President had agreed to let me stay in NGMiracles’ dorm because I was so guilty for disturbing my parents’ life. Their identities were exposed and our family photographs scattered the social media. It hurt my heart to see how they were not able to leave the apartment to run to the grocery store when we ran out of soya sauce.

I sighed quietly when I saw that the number of reporters downstairs had decreased. Being me, I was dying to leave home and start doing something. I felt so dead feeling helpless. I was so sick of worrying but there was nothing I could do. And I suddenly thought of Candy. I wanted to bring her out for a walk. Grabbing my phone, I called Jin Hye.

“Yes, Jung ah? Did something happen?” Probably getting alerted from my unexpected call, Jin Hye asked with an ironically calm voice.

“Unnie, I think I’m going to die of suffocation. Bring me out. Help me get Candy from Seung Gi oppa.”

“Candy is doing good with Seung Gi and they are at the agency now.” Clearly relieved by the fact that I was only whining as usual, she continued with a lighter voice. “Bear with it a little longer. It is for your own good. Everything will return to normal soon.”

“I just checked. There are not much reporters around. At least bring me out for a drive.” She sighed.

“Let me check with Sajangnim first.”

We hung up and I walked out of my room. Going behind my mum, I hugged her waist and rested my cheek on her shoulder.

“Go have a walk, Mummy.” I said quietly. “There are not a lot of reporters now. My manager will drive you out.”

“Are you intending to head out?” She read my mind like a pro and I smiled sheepishly. “Do you need some time alone?”

“That’s not my intention.” I shook my head, still wearing that small smile. “I don’t want you to lock up yourself. You are an active person and being a homebody doesn’t suit you.”

“You are all grown-up, and I know you need time off to clear up your mind.” She ignored my words and turned around, flashing me a motherly smile that filled my heart with strength. I smiled back at her, watching her wrinkles appearing at the corner of her eyes. “Your manager will accompany you, right?” I nodded, somehow having a gut feel that I will be able to get a breather today.

“Yeah.”

“Then run along. Make sure to wear more clothing.”

True enough, Jin Hye was on her way to fetch me. We went out from the side entrance and hopped onto the van. Yoo Hyun immediately stepped on the gas and left the building before the reporter noticed us.

“Candy yah.” Instantly reaching for the furry pet, I lifted her to my lap and she curled into my warmth as she stared at me. “I miss you so much.” And I was serious. Maybe I was lonely, maybe I was feeling really scared and depressed, because my vision was instantly clouded by tears. Oh god, I am so glad to see her. her head down to her back, surprise flashed in her eyes when she saw me smiling with tears glistening in my orbs. She whimpered and I calmed her down by patting her back as I held her down gently when she was about to stand.

Yoo Hyun drove us around and routed to Dreams’ Inn when I requested because I know how Candy loved the place. Looking out of the window, my hand never stop Candy and she was probably getting drowsy by it. Her eyes had closed and I was embracing the joy I was feeling before I go back to face everything reality had rained on me. My mind was away as I reflected on how much I had taken life for granted. Who knows I would treasure this moment so much when it was only a drive around the city? The van went to and fro along the Han River several times. Everyone knows this famous river brings peace to my soul.

“Isn’t that Hye Yoon-ssi?” Yoo Hyun’s utter distracted the rest of us. Jin Hye sat up straight as she pulled out the only side of earpiece she had in her ear while Candy lazily opened her eyes. I turned to Yoo Hyun and then to the direction he was staring at to see the tall, fair lady standing together with a man taller than her by half a head.

“It is unnie.” I confirmed, recognising Hye Yoon and Tae Joon’s back view. The couple was strolling along the pavement ahead of us with Tae Joon somewhat looking like he was consoling Hye Yoon. With his arm on her shoulder, he leaned closer to look at her face. “Oppa, can you stop for a while?” Yoo Hyun checked around the area to make sure it was clear of any large groups of people and pulled up a few metres infront of the couple.

“Unnie.” I got out and turned back, carrying the sleepy Candy with me. Taken aback to see Hye Yoon wiping her cheeks, I cautiously walked up to them. “Are you okay?” I asked quietly and gently, glancing at Tae Yoon in surprise.

“What brings you here?” Equally surprised, the couple stared at me.

“My managers are bringing me on a drive and we saw you.” I replied Hye Yoon. “Why are you crying, unnie?” I turned to Tae Joon when she turned away.

“It’s Charlie…”

“Oppa…” Hye Yoon stopped him, which gave me a really bad feeling. Afraid of upsetting her girlfriend even more, Tae Yoon gave in to her.

“You know you could tell me anything.” I persuaded softly. What exactly happened that made the happy Hye Yoon into this state… It took her some time to calm down and finally decided to tell me.

“You are already so troubled by all the things happening so me and omma did not inform you. Things are not doing good to Charlie.” What does she mean…

“Can I go see him?” I asked after my ability of speech came returned. But Hye Yoon surprised me when she shook her head. What, has he passed away?

“It’s better to stay away from him.” I wanted to ask them exactly where the pet was because with them being so vague, it was making my mind run wild that Charlie was gone.

“What do you mean?”

“Look.” I dropped my gaze down to Hye Yoon’s wrist when Tae Joon carefully lifted it. Eyes widened when I saw deep, teeth marks, I looked at the couple again.

“He bit you?” Tae Joon nodded sadly while Hye Yoon began to sob again at the mention of her pet. One part of me was so glad that at least Charlie was still alive, but the thought also made my blood ran cold. Such a loving pet, why would he bite his owner?

“Let me visit Charlie. I miss him.” I persuaded. “Let’s go.”

We were all in my van and it was dead silence after I whisperingly told my manager about Charlie’s condition and they did not say anything so as to be considerate to Hye Yoon’s feelings. The short journey came to an end and my managers said they will be waiting in the vehicle.

Waiting for Hye Yoon to unlock the gate, all of us stepped in.

“Candy yah, Charlie is not feeling well. So like I said earlier, be considerate and careful around him, okay?” I gently whispered to the pet in my arms as we all walked through the door.

“Aunty.” I called, forcing a smile and she was surprised by my visit. “I’m sorry for the unexpected visit.”

“Nothing of that sort. I am happy to see you.” She gave me a smile, but it looked sad.

“I heard about Charlie.” She nodded.

“He is upstairs in the guestroom. Be careful.” Not forgetting Candy, she gave the confused pup a smile before leaving us alone.

I followed Hye Yoon and Tae Joon upstairs and we all stopped before the door. There was a gap. Hye Yoon quietly pushed the door open. There he was, lying against the wall at the corner. When he sensed movement, his eyes open and I was shocked at the gaze he held. It was different. He looked like he was angry and frustrated. Hye Yoon took a tiny step inside to check if the room was still warm but Charlie had started to get to his feet. His movement were slow and unstable. He had also shed a lot of his fur and lost a couple of pounds. Being aware, Hye Yoon tried to push me back while I kept staring at him. I was stunned and did not know how to react. A whimper from Candy snapped me back to reality and I called quietly.

“Charlie yah, it’s me.” I carefully stepped forward.

“Jung ah, he bites.” Trying to stop me, Hye Yoon warned with a shaky voice. Distracted again when Candy wriggled, I was afraid she might fell out of my grip and squatted down to place her on the floor.

“Candy yah, please…” My intention to warn her fell on deaf ears as she was already on her way towards her pal. I watched her with dread, afraid that Charlie would attack. Slowly, Candy got nearer and only stopped when she was a few steps away from him. All the while, Charlie stared at her with caution and his gaze was still nasty. And I was all the more in awe at how confident and brave Candy actually was. The two had a staring battle and when I finally could not hold back my fears and want to bring Candy away, I halted. Candy lied down with one of her paws extended. She peeked up at Charlie and waited. I did not notice when my lips became apart. After like forever, Charlie’s gaze grew softer and he took a tiny step back before lying down as well. I noticed how he shifted and allow his ear to be in contact with Candy’s paw. The scene was so moving as I remembered how Candy first opened up to Charlie with the same method. I turned back and saw Hye Yoon tearing up again with Tae Joon lightly holding her hand. I turned away as a tear fell and I wiped it, a helpless sigh coming through my lips.

Hye Yoon, Tae Joon and I sat abreast one another as we leaned against the wall at the far end of the room. Watching the two pets having a nap at the other corner, we conversed whisperingly.

“Aren’t those your sweater and Seung Hyun-ssi’s T-shirt over there?” I noticed the clothing at the corner where Charlie originally rested at. Hye Yoon nodded sadly. “He must be feeing lonely and missing you all.”

“He slept on it everyday. I know he still loves us, but he didn’t want us near.”

“That’s because he cares.” I found myself choking. “So much so that he hopes the family will not be sad when he is away.” Upon that, she only sighed openly holding back another wave of sadness. She closed her eyes but it did not do the trick in stopping the tears from seeping through the corner of her eyes. I helplessly turned back to Charlie, catching his eyes flapped open. We held eye contact and I smiled. His gaze was not scary anymore and I was happy that Charlie was back.

“Charlie yah, can we come close? We would like to hold you. We miss you so much.” It seemed like he was hesitating, but my heart literally got excited when he stood. I patiently waited for him until he stopped infront of me and I extended my hands. My heart swelled with love when he waddled into my arms and cuddled on my lap like how he did not too long ago.

“Thank you, Charlie.” I his back. “But would you give your omma a cuddle too? She has been so worried.” My smile remained as he stared at me for a moment before turning to Hye Yoon. Hye Yoon managed to smile even though she looked so messed up. Charlie attempted to climb towards her and I guided him into her arms. Hye Yoon immediately brought Charlie close to her and sobbed into his fur, apologizingly profusely. I saw how Charlie shed tears too and turned to Hye Yoon. Hye Yoon laughed between her sobs at the cheeky side of her baby. While the two had their moment, I turned to where Candy was and saw that she was already on her feet. She witnessed the scene and I got up as well, going to her and scooped her into my arms.

“And I thank you too. You brought Charlie and his family back together.” Embracing her firmly, I gave her a kiss on the head.

Aunt was so delighted to see Charlie when he was willing to go downstairs and offered him some food. Charlie was not unable to eat well and only ate a little but it was enough to comfort the family.

“Appa is coming back today. Wait a little more.” Hye Yoon cooed as he covered Charlie with a small towel. How heart-warming to witness pets loyally waiting for their owners. Candy kept Charlie accompanied when we brought him back to the guestroom to rest. We also set his bed with the clothing he had been snuggling to sleep for weeks and tucked him in.

“I should get going soon.” I whispered to Hye Yoon since Seung Hyun was coming back. Hye Yoon sighed with a slight pout. “My managers are still waiting.”

“Alright. Thank you so much.” She thanked with so much appreciation and I only smiled as I gave her a pat on her back. Turning to Candy, she squatted next to her and called quietly.

“Candy yah.” Candy turned to her, her eyes doe-liked. “I could not thank you enough. You are such a sweetheart.”

“We will come to visit again, unnie.” I smiled. “Candy yah, let’s go.” But she would not barge. Finding her cute, I bent down and tried to lift her but she struggled with all her might. Shocked by her sudden aggressiveness, I widened my eyes.

“Seems like the two really got close.” Hye Yoon concluded with a smile. “What are your plans now, Yi Jung-ssi?” Although I was glad that Hye Yoon was feeling good enough to even joke with me now, I was indeed at a loss of what to do. My managers are still waiting though… Our heads snapped to the back when we heard the door open. Seung Hyun stood there and I got up to my feet.

“I saw your van so I figured out you are here.”

“Yes.” I nodded. “I should get going.” But when I turned back to Candy, she had all her attention to her friend which was sleeping soundly.

“Let’s go, Candy yah. We can always come back to visit again.” I tried to coax but to no response. With the situation I was in, I was more in a rush to leave since Seung Hyun was back but Candy was not sparing any thoughts for me. “Alright fine, you can stay here. Unnie is going back.” Even with threats, she does not give in! Amused by her constant defiance, I huffed before muttering. “I could not believe Jung Jun got himself a pet as stubborn as him. My goodness…”

“Stay then.” Once again, Hye Yoon and I turned to him when Seung Hyun spoke again. “The reporters have been chasing you for days. Don’t you want a break? I will send you back later.”

I always believe I am a person who controls my brain well, so it would then control my heart. Isn’t that what I have been doing all these years that’s why netizens criticize me for prioritising my career instead of my partner? But god damn it, I guess I need to work harder on mind control.

“The drips?” Seung Hyun walked into the guestroom with a glass of water for me.

“Tomorrow.” I sighed at the bowl filled with dogs’ food.

“Candy yah,” I am really defeated. “At least eat a little.” Ignoring me again, I reached to her body as she stared at Charlie. Charlie has woken up earlier when he heard Seung Hyun’s voice. Of course, Seung Hyun received a wet kiss as an apology which was instantly accepted. Now, Charlie was just lying around with Candy as his personal bodyguard. Seung Hyun sat next to the dog’s bed and his pet as well.

“Appa is so happy to see you. Thank you for waiting.” Charlie had his eyes on the both of us and I smiled back gently at him. The silent air was comfortable, with all of us staying with one another until Seung Hyun spoke quietly when the two fur balls finally fell asleep.

“I heard omma saying that you have started to take meal replacements. If that’s the case, why do you still need to go for drips?”

“Sometimes when I drink it too fast, I vomit.” I simply relayed, my eyes staring into the blank space. “I would rather go for drips. It is extremely frustrating to constantly take small sips.”

“You should continue the meal replacements. Only then you will be able to start eating again.” I knew he had his eyes on me, but I did not pay any attention.

“I just had a little earlier on. On days when I don’t go to the hospital, I take meal replacements.” Half of me hoped that by saying that, he would stop worrying while the other half hoped he would stop nagging. We embraced another short pause before he started again.

“Do you need me to make you a hot drink?” I shook my head and another moment of silence deafened us.

“How is Yeh Jin?” This time, I could not help but to smile bitterly.

“Good, I hope.”

“Did you go visit her?”

“I wish I could. I went out by the side door today.”

“I called her today. She sounds fine.”

“That’s good to hear.” I replied whispering, feeling down. Nothing he say could make me feel better.

“Yeh Jin is very hopeful of going home with you. So don’t give up yet.”

“I might not win the court case.” I confessed. I mean, I went through all the meetings with Mr Shin and President. I know where I stand. And I had to say I am very close to losing the battle.

“No, don’t think too much about it. Mr Shin is famous for such cases.”

“Even a famous lawyer may not help me in this.” I dismissed, finally turning to see him looking back at me. His gaze was soft, like he was ready for any possible outburst from me. “The facts are against me and it’s not something a popular lawyer could change even by cooking up stories. I don’t want to win by manipulating and twisting facts.”

“That’s not what I mean.” He talked back gently. “There is something fishy from the other side too. It’s not like you have not tried to find Yeh Jin’s mother. If she went to the police station as soon as she lost her child, she would have reunited with Yeh Jin.” I let out a long, deep sigh as I shifted myself against the wall to make myself more comfortable.

“Mr Shin also suspected a possible abandonment from Yeh Jin’s mother. But it feels like I am at the losing side. My profession and current situation are too disadvantageous. I do not have a really strong point to counter-attack.”

“When are you up for court?” He asked again.

“Early next month?”

“I will be there.” Turning to him again, I gave a light shake of my head.

“It’s not necessary.”

“I promise Yeh Jin.” He simply argued and I was lazy to continue even though I disliked the idea. “I will lay out the mattress for you.” And he got on his feet and walked out of the door. Earlier on, we had decided to spend the night in the guestroom. Seung Hyun wanted me to rest on the bed, but I preferred to stay close to the flurry things.

When he came back again, he quietly placed the heavy mattress on the ground next to Candy and Charlie. He also prepared a pillow and blanket for me before I lied down. I had my back facing him as he walked behind me to the bed. Sticking one of my hands out, I reached for Charlie’s paw and felt his soft fur brushing against me. My eyes closed as exhaustion engulfed me.

I only stirred when my forearm was tickled by something moving to and fro. My eyes slowly strained open and saw Candy watching me and moved closer to me, her fur brushing me. Inching slightly away when she nudged my face with her nose, I felt my joints aching causing me to frown. I turned and saw Seung Hyun lying close to me on the ground as he slept soundly. Surprised, I pushed myself away and sat up. He had his head next to Charlie’s bed and had turned towards the pet. Charlie has shifted and his head was only inches away from Seung Hyun’s head. I smiled upon the pet’s peaceful look and reached out to his back only to freeze at the icy touch. I gasped inwardly as realisation hit me and spun my head to Candy since she was the only one whom I could get information. She had tears in her eyes and I knew I had gotten the confirmation I was seeking for. My face fell together with my heart as I stared at her with a soft gaze. I extended my hands and she slowly stepped into my arms. Oh gosh… Since when, Candy? When I turned back, the sight that fell upon me caused such a headache because it was the most beautiful sight I had ever seen. I want it to last forever. Carefully standing up, I dug for my phone in my bag and quietly snapped a photograph. I stared at it on the screen for a long moment, moved by the mutual and constant companion of Seung Hyun and Charlie. It was something not me or Candy could replace.

After I came out of the bathroom after washing up, I returned back to Seung Hyun’s side. Rays of sunlight had seeped through the white translucent curtains and shone on his hair. Probably could not hold back anymore, Candy left my lap and tugged on his sleeve between her teeth. I just watched, could not bear to stop her. I was confused by my feelings. It was not extreme sadness. But I felt heavy and empty at the same time. Awake by her repeated tugs and whimpers, Seung Hyun finally groaned and looked down at her, sleepiness written on his face. When he saw me, he slowly sat up. Somehow, he noticed something about my gaze and stared back into my gaze while I slowly reached up gently on his cheek and kept my grip. I know he was surely going to get a shock.

“Charlie has left.” He continued to stare like he did not understand and I was expecting a big fuss when he finally knew what I was referring to but it never come. He only turned to sleeping Charlie with his soul probably still around us and reached for him. Bringing him into his arms, Seung Hyun watched his beloved pet limped against his chest and turned away. I was watching and ready for any emotional breakdown from him but not a single sound was produced. The room was so quiet, like we were spending our last moments together. It was only the sound of our slow breathing until the door swung opened. Hye Yoon smiled widely at us and I stood up while Seung Hyun did not even turn to his sister.

“Unnie…” I called quietly, coming infront of her to block her view. I wanted to get her prepared.

“Good morning.” She smiled awkwardly, already feeling the tension. I smiled back bitterly. Just as I was about to speak, Seung Hyun beat me to it.

“Noona, say your last farewell to Charlie.” I watched in caution how Hye Yoon’s gaze turned into a stunned one. She stood rooted to the ground as Seung Hyun carried Charlie to her arms before leaving through the door without turning back.

Seung Hyun drove me back and the drive back was in dead silence. I did not try to start a conversation as I knew it would be too insensitive of his feelings. In fact, all I could think of was Hye Yoon’s weep echoing in my ears.

And it stayed there for weeks.

All I had been doing was resting, attending meetings with Mr Shin, and then worrying for what may be ahead of me and Yeh Jin. As the days went by, I was getting anxious and gradually, I started talking lesser because I just could not stop worrying. Ever since being diagnosed with anorexia, I could barely sleep well even though I was able to sleep through the night whenever I was on the drip. But now, I could not sleep even when I go for treatments. President and my managers were getting worried about my condition.

“Jung ah, calm your nerves. If you go to court like this, it won’t do any good.” Jin Hye held my hands in hers while saying gently, smoothing out my hair at the side of my head. “Whatever happens, you are never alone. Everything will be fine.” I nodded, grateful for her love. Yes, I should compose myself. I cannot show how nervous I am when I am infront of the judge tomorrow.

“Have a good rest.” Nodding again, I closed my eyes with Jin Hye’s reassuring grip on my hand.

My sleep was disturbed when I felt movements in my room. Squinting my eyes open, I saw a nurse detaching the needle from my wrist and clearing the drip away from my bedside. I checked the time and saw that it was 3AM. Usually the drip would last for at least five hours but it had only been three and half hours and it was done. Then I remembered that since my condition had improved, the doctor must have reduced the amount.

Despite the fact that it was in the wee hours, I was feeling refreshed and could not fall asleep. My managers were aware that I was wide awake. Both of them were dozing off on the couch while I lifted my feet to the ground.

“Jung ah, remain on the bed and rest. You are going to be too tired when morning comes if you don’t rest enough now.” Yoo Hyun mumbled with half-lidded eyes, exhaustion evident in his groggy voice.

“Okay, I will be in the room.” I promised and stood up to go to the toilet. I rinsed my mouth then decided that I should might as well wash up and get prepared for the court that will be on later at 11AM. My mind ran through the things that Mr Shin emphasized and the responses that I was supposed to voice out later. I had all of them typed out in my phone. I should read them a few times before morning comes.

I stepped out of the toilet, sliding the door closed quietly while wiping my face dry. Digging inside my bag as carefully as I could and retrieved my phone. Spinning my head to the back in instinct-like reflex when I heard the door to my ward opened, my eyes widened in surprise to see Seung Hyun standing infront of me. Why is he-

My brain did not even have sufficient time to make up what was indeed happening and I felt myself engulfed in his tight, powerful embrace. With two determine strides, he had come in like a wave that caused me to stumble slightly.

“D-did something happen?” I heard myself mutter after the shock subsided.

“Stay still. Just stay still.” His hold tightened around me and I inhaled involuntarily, feeling my hair standing at the immediate feeling I got. I know my managers would have witnessed everything and were very taken aback by this man. Hearing Seung Hyun let out a deep sigh, his chest heaving against mine, I guessed that he was probably anxious and worried. Is he nervous for the court case too? Is he having a hard time coping with the loss of Charlie? Without me knowing, my heart softened and my arm gently went around his back, another to his head. Patting and him slowly, I tried to calm him down.

“You must be having a hard time too. I’m sorry. I promise I will get this settled as soon as I can.” I cooed, feeling his arms pulling me even closer by the waist, squeezing my body into his warmth. It kind of hurt to feel his arms pressed hard on my bones and I could hardly breathe by then. But I could not bear to pull away because it seemed like he was hurting too. My instinct told me that he was more worried and anxious than I was. I could feel the sweat gradually soaking his dress shirt and it made me panic even more. He shouldn’t get this nervous. 

It took Seung Hyun some time until he was feeling better and he stayed with me until the sun rise before leaving to get changed. I did manage to get some more sleep while watching Seung Hyun’s sleeping face earlier on and I would stay I was fine to attend the court hearing. At least, I was not too tired to even open my eyes. And I will finally be seeing Yeh Jin. Staring at myself infront of the mirror, I mentally cheered myself on. Yi Jung, you can do this. Stay strong. Checking on myself one last time, I breathed in and out a few times. My managers and I were back at my place so I could change into something more formal. With black formal pants and a white dress shirt, I emerged out of the bathroom. Going to my parents to give them a long hug, I was thankful for their encouraging words even though I know they were as worried as I was, if not more.

“Darling, don’t worry. Kind people will not be punished. You took care of the young girl. Everything good will be at your side.”

I nodded and thanked them in a voice so small that I could not even hear myself before grabbing a navy blazer and heading out with my managers.

As usual, I was harassed by the crowding media and I was too occupied to even care about what they asked. I simple walked into the building while my managers tugged on me protectively while fending them off. Once inside, I saw that Seung Hyun was already there and in fact, I was quite disturbed that he still came, overlooking my intentions of him staying away from the media. There were already reports of him witnessing the times Yeh Jin had with me and that he could potentially be a witness. Tons of negative reports cried that it was unfair since he was my boyfriend and he would present opinions and facts in a way that was favourable to me. I did not want him to appear as a person who blindly does things for his lover without considering justice for the others. Because I know he is not someone who would go all out to manipulate facts. Silently sighing, I followed my managers as they guided me to an empty bench. Seung Hyun did not make an attempt to talk to me because of how sensitive and how heavy the atmosphere was outside of the court room. Facing the entrance of the court while I tried to regulate my breathing and controlling my mind, I pulled out my phone when it vibrated.

‘Don’t fear. Don’t be afraid. When you hit the bottom, I will be there to cushion your fall.’

When I looked up, I saw him already standing before the door, as if ready for everything that could happen in a matter of hours. With his back facing me, I was comforted and assured because at that moment, he was giving off a strong sense of support and strength.

And at that moment, I trust him.

 

===

 

#StayStrongTOP

 

Posted on 130617, 10:43PM