Guilty Conscience

Neverland~Angels Against the Fallen

Autumn POV

After Eli and I parted several minutes later, I knew my fact was flustered and from what I could tell in the dim candlelight, he was blushing.

For the rest of our date, we sat there talking. Honestly, it was not what I expected; it was better and it was certainly refreshing just to talk to someone like a normal person.

I was gone for a few hours and I knew that the angels would start to think I got lost or worse, was kidnapped by the fallen angels.

Eli seemed to read my mind because he said, "I'd better take you back before you get scolded." I laughed as he walked me out the door.

As soon as we got outside, I could sense something wasn't right. Eli could sense it too because his entire body became rigid as he held me, ready to fly me back to the castle. "Something wrong", I asked quietly. Eli's eyes lit up as he quickly looked around the surrounding area. Then just like that, his eyes returned to normal and he seemed to relax. "Nothing--I mean everything's fine", he replied spreading his midnight black wings and flying me back to the angels' castle.

Eli POV

I could sense something or someone had been outside the cottage recently. I didn't want to worry Autumn in case it was just an animal, but something was definitely not right.

Autumn POV

Eli flew through my open bedroom window and placed me gently on my bed.

"I had a great time tonight", he said, smiling and bringing me closer to him. "I did too Eli", I replied, feeling the cross around my neck. He kiss my forehead lightly and flew back out the window.

I smiled to myself and crawled into my bed. I ran tonight's events continuously through my head until at last, I fell asleep.

Eli POV

I had just arrived back at our castle. It was unusually quiet, even for this time of the night. I was still in a light, happy mood so I didn't even think twice about it.

As I got close to my bedroom, I saw AJ standing outside my bedroom door. He had his arms crossed and looked moody. I walked up to him and acted like I normally do.

"Where have you been", he asked with a sharp tone. "Out. What's it to you?" He looked me up and down. "You seem unusually happy." "What, I can't be happy once in a while", I asked defensively. "Now can you move so I can go to bed?"

He moved aside and let me enter my room. As I shut the door, I could still see him standing there glaring at me. What the hell is his problem?

Autumn POV

I was running through the forest until I reached a clearing. At first I didn't know why I was running. That is until I came face to face with this animalistic creature. Its eyes burned a blood red color and it had razor sharp teeth. Its skin glowed a pale white color in the overhead moonlight.

I noticed the creature had me backed against a tree. I was too frightened to move anyway. It walked back and forth in front of me, its sadistic eyes never leaving my own. That's when I noticed, it had big black wings and a cross around its bare neck.

"Eli?" He just stared at me with that same hungry look. Suddenly, he lunged at me with his sharp teeth---

I awoke with a start. I was covered in sweat and breathing hard. "Oh thank goodness it was just a dream", I thought.

"Autumn, are you alright", I heard Kevin's voice from somewhere in the room. "Yeah, I just had a bad dream that's all." "Do you want some company", he questioned. I bit my lip, not sure if I should accept his offer. "Sure", I finally replied.

Kevin walked from the far side of the room and crawled in beside me on my bed. "Autumn, what's wrong", he asked quietly. A lump formed in my throat. I--I need to talk to you about something", I said hoarsely. "Is everything okay?"

"I did something bad." "Autumn, you're scaring me. Just spit it out." I squeezed my eyes shut and uttered out the four words that burned me with guilt. "Eli and I kissed."