Trial One

Neverland~Angels Against the Fallen

I was off to my first trial. All I was told to do is go to the field next to the castle and wait. So here I was, sitting in the middle of an open field, by myself, no one to protect me, waiting for someone to show up.

“I wonder what I’ll be doing”, I thought aloud.

Ten minutes passed, then twenty. I was starting to think no one would even come. Just as I was about to make my way back to the castle, I saw Soohyun casually walk up to me. I crossed my arms and tapped my foot in impatience.

“Where have you been”, I asked sourly. He just gave me a shy smirk. “Sorry to keep you waiting Autumn. I was busy tending to Kevin.”

My attitude changed, and not just because Soohyun was here. Poor, sweet Kevin. “How’s he doing?”

“He’s slowly starting to heal. I had to calm him down because the pain from his burns was getting too much for him.”

I hung my head sadly. I hated to think I caused all of this. It’s true, but I still hate to think about it. “It’s my fault and I’m so sorry Soohyun”, I cried.

He came over and comforted me. In his warm embrace I suddenly felt like the weight of the world was off my shoulders. Good old emotion control magic at work right there. “Shh, you’re not at fault. If anyone is, it’s those annoying fallen angels. They’re the ones that started it.”

I nodded and then cried some more. Soohyun just kept my hair and back. When I finally stopped, it was time to get down to business.

“Alright, so what exactly do I have to do”, I asked. “From what I’ve been told, you have to try to learn and somehow use my powers.” I just looked at him confused and mind boggled. “Yeah, I don’t get it either, but Alexander knows what he’s doing--I think.”

“Lead the way Master Soohyun.” He nodded and started explaining to me his powers; how he uses them, how he generates the energy to use them, when I should use them, etc. At times, it was kind of boring, but all of it was really fascinating; something you only read in fantasy fiction or something you watch on TV shows. Never in your entire life would you think that you’d actually be sitting and trying to learn this stuff for yourself.

“Do you think you’ve got it”, Soohyun asked me as I was deep in thought. “Hmm, sorry. What was that?” He sighed deeply, and then chuckled. “Autumn pay attention this time.” I nodded and watched him very closely.

That’s when I noticed that Soohyun had a small animal in his lap. It was fluffy and white. Soohyun closed his eyes, picked it up and held it tight, but not tight enough to hurt it. It squirmed for a little bit, but then suddenly calmed down and fell asleep.

Soohyun then reopened his eyes and gently pet the sleeping critter. I just stared at him in awe. “What is that thing?” “It’s a puppy. Don’t you have animals like this in your world?” “Oh, yes, but I didn’t know if it was some weird breed of creature or what.” He just laughed.

“A few weeks ago, before you arrived, Kevin and Kiseop were roaming around the woods and came upon her. She was frightened and all alone so they brought her home.”

“How come I never saw it around the castle?” “I keep her in my room. I guess you could say I have a soft spot for her”, Soohyun replied as the puppy woke up and his fingers.

“She’s adorable. What’s her name?” “I haven’t given her one yet.” I laughed. “Well that won’t do. She needs a name.” “Well why don’t you name her then?”

I thought about this for a moment. Then the perfect name came to me. “Since this is Neverland, why don’t we name her Tinker Bell?” Soohyun just laughed. “Oh I see what you did there. How about just ‘Belle’?”

“I like that name. Okay from here on out, your name is Belle. Do you like that name”, I asked the puppy. She barked in agreement and jumped off of Soohyun’s lap to come over to me. I scratched her tummy and her back leg started kicking. This made me miss my own dog back home.

“It’s getting late, we’d better head back to the castle”, Soohyun said breaking me out of my own thoughts. “But I didn’t try to learn your powers yet”, I whined. He just ruffled my hair. “We can continue our lesson at the castle. Meet me in the library after dinner.” “Uh, okay.”

So Soohyun and I, with a sleeping Belle in my arms, headed back to the castle as the Neverland sun set over the mountains.