The Duck And The Pig

Diary (Collection Of One-Shot Fics)

Note: This Jung Shin x Hyuna fic is not my usual ty/y fic that I usually write about them. Treat it as something like cute romance stories.

*********

Flashback:

Hyuna had always been bullied by their classmates in yoochiwon (kindergarten) because she was looked like a geek. The thin boy pushed her off the slide, and she landed on her chin because she slid headfirst. She cried and cried, but the bullies, headed by the thin boy, were laughing. The thin boy went to some shrubs and got a dry twig. He came to her and poked her.

“Ya! Tell us what planet do aliens live in,” he taunted her.

Hyuna cried and wiped her nose because she could not answer. The kids continued being pesky and asked her some more questions, like how do crows become black, or why she was ugly.

“Ya! Stop that!” someone shouted.

The bunch of kids stared at the fat kid who stomped and pushed the thin boy.

“Ya, Fatso, I am not afraid of you!” the thin boy said.

“I am not fatso!” the fat boy said.

“Dwaeji! Dwaeji! (Pig! Pig!)” the friends of the thin boy taunted Little Fatso.

The fat boy boxed the thin kid, who was no match for him. His friends began running away, leaving their boss.

“Ya!” the thin boy shouted as he stood up gingerly.

He gave a hot glare at the fat boy before limping away. The fat boy wiped his hands on his shorts and went to Hyuna.

“Gomawo,” Hyuna said.

The fat boy smiled as he wiped the blood off her chin with his hanky.

“Gaja,” the fat boy said. “Let us go to the faucet.”

The fat boy helped her, and they went to the faucet where she washed her wound.

“You should tell Shin-ssaem about it,” the fat boy said. “Eomma always told me to fight back when the neighbourhood kids call me dwaeji.”

Hyuna nodded.

“My name is Lee Jung Shin,” the fat boy said. “What is your name?”

“My name is Kim Hyuna,” Hyuna said. “Let us be friends, Jung Shin-ah.”

“Oh, ne, I will be your chingu,” he said. “And I will protect you from those bullies, especially from Lee Jae Jin.”

“Gomawo,” Hyuna said again.

And eversince that day, Hyuna and Jung Shin became the best of friends. He was always there for her, still being the protector he promised her to be.

****

Years passed.

In middle school, Jung Shin was starting to get less chubby because he was active in swimming. Hyuna was starting to beautify like the other teenage girls, but she did not give up her dorky glasses and her two side ponytails, like she was the follower of Gokusen’s Yankumi.

In high school, Jung Shin got leaner and leaner, and girls started to have crushes on him. He looked great because he was lean and tall that he could be a model instead. During his competitions, girls from all over Seoul would flock the arena just to see him swim. They gave up idolizing macho guys and shifted their attention to the lean hottie. He did not have to have muscles just to be y, they thought. Hyuna, meanwhile, still sported being a geek. While Jung Shin was athletic, Hyuna was academically competent. Getting the geek persona to heart, she became the Science club president in high school. She became Jung Shin’s tutor when the two of them would be studying together. He got average grades while she got top scores, still competing against Lee Jae Jin, whom she still resented up to now.

In college, they took up the same course because both of them loved computers.

*****

Present time.

The two of them were in the library, doing their research. Jung Shin was a bit distracted because Hyuna kept on sighing.

“Mwo hae (What are you doing)?” he asked in exasperation. “I cannot concentrate on studying.”

Hyuna was misty eyed, but she did not look at him. She was looking at someone else.

“You are already in daehakgyo il-hangnyeon (first year in college), but you act like you are still a godeunghaksaeng (high school student),” he said.

“I can’t help it,” she sighed. “He. Is. Hot!”

Jung Shin knitted his eyebrows and looked ahead. He saw the school hottie, the lead singer and guitarist of a two-man band, Lee Jong Hyun, who was busy skimming through some books.

“I mean, look at him,” Hyuna said. “He is handsome, he has milky white skin, his chest is definitely toned, his biceps are no match against my dainty arms, and he has a cool and y voice.”

“Aish,” Jung Shin said in irritation as he covered her eyes.

Hyuna whacked his hand away and looked at him, pouting.

“You are mean, Jung Shin-ah,” she said.

Jung Shin smirked when she pouted, so he pinched her pouted lips with his fingers.

“Ya!” she exclaimed.

“Ugly duckling,” he told her. “Do not brag that your memory is good, arasseo? I cannot study well with all your girly fantasies.”

“Neo,” she said. “Stop pinching my lips. It’s irritating.”

“Aish… Jjajeungna (Annoying)!” Jung Shin cursed as he grabbed his books and transferred to another table.

“Whatever,” Hyuna said before getting back to look at Jong Hyun.

****

Jong Hyun, Jung Shin, and Min Hyuk (Jong Hyun’s one and only bandmate) were considered the campus hotties, though the first did not know the existence of the second due to his I-have-my-own-world-and-I-am-very-busy mentality. Many girls formed different fans clubs for each guy.

As for Hyuna, 98% of the Jung Shin fan girls hated her because she was best friends with Jung Shin, while only 2% of his fans would ask her for help to get close to him. She only told them to talk to him because she knew that she might spoil their plans.

 

In second year, another hottie came to campus, and Hyuna’s list of crushes had expanded. Jung Yong Hwa, the new hottie, got 40% of all girl fans, while Jong Hyun, Jung Shin, and Min Hyuk had 20% each. Most of these were from Jong Hyun’s fans club, who had occupied 50% of the girl fans in first year. Hyuna could not make up her mind whether to stay in Jong Hyun’s fans club, or transfer to Yong Hwa’s new club or enlist as a new member to Min Hyuk’s fans club.

“You are crazy,” Jung Shin told her one day while the two of them were in the cafeteria. “Can you just make up your mind? Who do you really like?”

“I like the three of them,” Hyuna said. “But I still like Jong Hyun better.”

“You should give up on Yong Hwa,” Jung Shin said. “He is courting the math witch of the accountancy department, the goddess Park Shin Hye.”

Indeed, it had been the talk of the campus. Yong Hwa and Shin Hye had been the cutest and unstoppable topic all over, even though both of them were not yet even dating.

“So? I will still like Yong Hwa,” Hyuna said with a pout.

He pinched her lips with his index fingers and thumbs.

“Stop pouting,” he said. “You look like a duck.”

“Ah, so now you call me a duck!” Hyuna exclaimed. “I should have called you dwaeji (pig) back then in yoochiwon (kindergarten).”

“Ya! I saved you!” Jung Shin pouted, aegyo style.

Hyuna pinched his cheeks and wiggled his face like she was pinching the cheeks of a fat and adult male cat.

“Ya..a…!!! Apa! Apa (it hurts)!” Jung Shin cried.

Jong Hyun passed by them, looking aloof while holding his tray of food.

“Annyeong, Jong Hyun-ah,” she crooned.

Jong Hyun looked at her, then went on to go to a table with Min Hyuk.

“Ah~~~ he looks cool even with his cold personality. And Drum-sama looks cool too,” she crooned.

“Min Hyuk-sama? Ya, he is not even Japanese!” Jung Shin said.

Hyuna shot an iron-hot glance at him.

“Why are you always contradicting me? Are you jealous?” she shot at him.

He was caught off guard; he did not expect the question to come.

“Aniya!” he denied.

“That’s better, coz I never even get angry at your annoying girl fans,” she said. “So let me be. Even if I will idolize Hanson, CN Blue, FT Island, Linkin Park, or Maroon 5, just let me be.”

 

That afternoon, while they met at the library, Jung Shin found Hyuna kissing her cellphone.

“What’s up with that?” he asked.

“Ah, my Cellphone-sama,” she crooned, like she was following Yankumi’s habit of associating a crush with a common object and addressing it as object–sama.

“Cellphone-sama nuguya (Who is Cellphone-sama)?” Jung Shin asked. “And why would you address a Korean person with something Japanese when you are Korean yourself?”

Hyuna shot an iron-hot glance at him before breaking up into a smile.

“Yong Hwa,” she said. “Is my Cellphone-sama.”

She explained to him that she was talking with her eomma on the phone when she fell off the stairs, and her cellphone flew away. Yong Hwa was passing by, and when he saw the cellphone, he caught it before he noticed that Hyuna was hanging on the stair railing. Then, he helped her and returned her cellphone to her.

“Ah, so your cellphone was luckier than you,” Jung Shin said. “How pathetic.”

“No, it is not!” she pouted.

“You have your Cellphone-sama, then your Drum-sama, then your Guitar-sama!” Jung Shin chided her.

Hyuna got irritated that he even made fun of her pet names that she gave to Min Hyuk and Jong Hyun. When he saw her pout again, he pinched her lips.

“Ya!” she said as she slapped his hands away. “Stop that.”

Jung Shin let out a chuckle before hugging her.

“Bap meogeuro gaja (Let’s go and eat),” he offered.

Aside from computers, both of them loved eating, so Hyuna flashed a wide smile and ordered him to buy cheese tteokbokki for the two of them.

****

From Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge.

In middle school.

Sunako felt her heart racing that she could hear it well. She stood in front of the guy that she liked, and looked at him demurely.

“I… I like you,” she said.

“You know,” the guy said. “I hate ugly girls.”

Sunako heard the breaking of glass, and felt black blood oozing from within. She realized that the broken glass was her heart.

It pained her to death that her first love called her ugly.

Eversince that day, she hated anything beautiful, and she had forsaken her looks. She sought solace in the dark, with only her horror movies and anatomical dolls to comfort her.

****

“That girl reminds me of someone,” Jung Shin said one Saturday morning while the two of them were eating snacks at her house.

“Who?” Hyuna asked.

“You,” Jung Shin said.

Hyuna shot an angry glance at her bestie.

“You are soooo mean,” she said. “I hate you!”

Jung Shin laughed as he pinched her pouty lips again. She slapped his hand in anger.

“That is why I told you to stop pouting so I will not pinch your lips,” Jung Shin said.

“You are so mean. You compare me to Sunako-chan,” Hyuna said.

Jung Shin sat up straight and looked at her.

“If you really want Jong Hyun to really notice you, you should stop looking like Yankumi,” he said seriously.

Hyuna blinked her eyes in wonder when Jung Shin took off her ribbons, thus letting her hair flow freely. She blinked as well when he took off her glasses.

“You look better like that,” he said to her in admiration.

Hyuna could feel her chest pumping hard. What is this?

“However, it is not because of Jong Hyun that you should change,” he said. “You should do it for yourself because you want to.”

Hyuna rubbed her eyes  because she had not been accustomed to looking at her surrounding without her glasses.

“Jung Shin-ah, can you help me get a makeover?” she asked. “I am sure you always notice your fan girls. Surely you can help me get a beauty treatment.”

Jung Shin chuckled.

“Ah, so is it a bribe just because you had always been my tutor?” he asked. “Oh, my pleasure!”

So, after snacks, the two of them hit the salon where Jung Shin’s friend stylist gave Hyuna a major makeover. After that, they hit the mall so that he could help her pick fashionable clothes, shoes, and accessories.

“Ah, you are not only my saviour, you are also my fairy godmother,” Hyuna remarked.

“Ya! You once called me a goddess, and now a fairy godmother????” he freaked out. “I am so not gay!”

“Bwahahah!!!!” Hyuna laughed as she pinched his cheeks.

“Ya! It hurts!” he winced. “Pinching my cheeks will make me a dwaeji again!”

“The duck and the pig,” Hyuna said. “Isn’t it cute?”

“Ya, I am no longer a pig,” Jung Shin complained.

****

Hyuna made some kimbap and some lunch food, and brought them to school, as she wanted to present them to Jong Hyun for snacks. She snooped on him and was able to catch up with him.

Jong Hyun looked at her with his usual aloof manner. Instead of the awkwardly dressed girl with glasses and ponytails, he saw a girl in a cute sleeveless flowery dress, soft flowing hair, and glossy red lipgloss.

"You look good," Jong Hyun said to her with his usual cold manner.

He saw a flush on her cheeks as she smiled.

"Here," she said, handing him a bentou....er...doshirak (lunchbox).

Jong Hyun received them and looked at her with questioning eyes.

"What for? It is not even my birthday," he said.

Hyuna kept her hands at her back and maintained a demure stance.

"Jong Hyun-sama, I just want to give you the fruit of my labor," she said.

"Mianhae," he said as he returned the lunch box to her.

Hyuna felt a pang of betrayal after he said that while returning the lunch box to her.

"I hope I am not making you hope and all, and I do not want to say some hurtful things like you being ugly and all that," he said. "Because, to be honest, you are not ugly. Even with your dorky persona, you were cute. You are cute."

"But..but, why?" she asked him. "Are... are you gay?"

"I am not gay," Jong Hyun said, softening his voice. "I like the admiration the girls have for me, and I respect girls, no matter how they look like or act in front of me. However, I need to make you understand the fact why I am cold to my fans."

Hyuna's tears began to shed.

"I do not want to give hope to girls, and pretend to flirt with them," he said. "Because I have a girlfriend."

The truth hurts like death, and tears fell like the waterfalls.

"H...how come I did not know that?" she asked.

"Not even my fan girls know that, only you," Jong Hyun said. "I returned your lunch box because I do not want you to see me eating you labor of love with another girl. I know that is unfair."

Hyuna slapped Jong Hyun, but realized that she was in the wrong.

"M...Mianhae..." she sobbed.

Jong Hyun ruffled her hair and walked away. She looked at his back, then in shock, saw a girl walking towards him. The girl wrapped her arms around Jong Hyun, who gave her a kiss on her forehead.

"That... that is the Japanese-Australian model," Hyuna said to herself in tears. "So, Karen Michelle... Jong Hyun-sama's...."

(A/N: For those who are not familiar with Karen Michelle, she is that girl in CN Blue's MV for their song "Love Girl.")

****

Hyuna walked silently to the garden in tears, hoping to die. Jung Shin met her there, and he walked up to her.

"Why are you crying?" he asked. "Did Lee Jae Jin come here to our campus and bully you?"

She looked at him with her sad eyes and pouty lips. Instead of pinching them, Jung Shin felt attracted to her red and pouty lips. He felt his heart wanting to come out. What is this?

"Jong Hyun-sama.... My Guitar-sama...." she sobbed. "Is taken..."

"I know," Jung Shin said seriously.

She looked into his eyes, wondering why he knew about it. Both of them went to a bench, where he took the lunch box from her.

"Would you mind if your bestie eat your food?" he asked cheerfully, trying to perk her up.

Hyuna nodded absentmindedly as she let her tears fall once again. Jung Shin began attacking the lunch box, then grabbed the chopsticks along with it, took a piece of kimbap, and ate.

He noticed her pounding her chest.

"Ya, stop that," he said.

Hyuna looked at him.

"How did you know he has a girlfriend?" she asked, feeling betrayed. "Did you know all along that he has someone else? Was that the reason why you told me to make myself pretty for myself????"

He swallowed the large lump of rice stuck on his throat before talking again.

"Ya, I was a kiloooooometer behind the two of you, and I saw him return your lunchbox. Mianhae..." he said, trying to tell her in a semi-sarcastic manner that he was just a few steps near them when the incident happened. "And I overheard your conversation."

Hyuna looked up to the untouchable feature of her bestie.

"So, does that mean that you saw Karen going up to him?" she asked, her voice trailing off.

Jung Shin nodded as he grabbed some kimbap with the chopsticks.

"What you need now is food," he said as he offered her the kimbap.

Hyuna opened obligingly and allowed her bestie to feed her. He clapped his hands and pinched her cheeks.

"I just want to cheer you up," he said. "If you want, you can still have Min Hyuk after all."

Hyuna looked at him sadly.

"But he is bandmates with my Guitar-sama," she said sadly.

"And I have heard recently that your Cellphone-sama and his math princess are a couple already," Jung Shin shared.

Hyuna sobbed all the more.

"Why do guys that I like hurt me so?" she asked him in tears.

"Aish, you are too emotional," he told her. "Someone will come at the right time. For now, just eat your labor of love."

Hyuna looked at her bestie enjoying her food  cheerfully. He was still cheerful, in contrast to her heartbroken look.

"I get heartbroken too, but I do not show it," Jung Shin said.

"Because you are a guy!" Hyuna told him.

"Ah, just because I am a guy, I am not allowed to cry?" Jung Shin said. "Ani. I cry, but I keep it to myself."

He fed her with the veggies that she prepared. His warmth had been there for her since kindergarten, and she was grateful that he came to her life. If only she could reciprocate his gentleness.

****

After lunch, Jung Shin washed the lunch box because it was he who ate most of the food. Of course, it was his responsibility to wash it, kekekekek.

While he was washing the utensils, Hyuna suddenly gave him a back hug.

"Jung Shin-ah, please comfort me," she begged.

He let out a smile as he washed the cover of the doshirak.

****

After school, he held her hand as he led her to the game arcade.

"I know you like being here very much, so now is my chance to comfort you again," he told her.

"Ani..." she said sadly. "Being in the arcade still reminds me of Guitar-sama."

Hyuna led him to a Korean restaurant where they ordered lots and lots of food.

"Aha! No wonder you are gaining weight," Jung Shin . "You are craving for comfort foods."

"Ne. Seeing this dwaejigalbi reminds me of you," she said.

"Omomomomomo!" Jung Shin commented. So you still look at me as a dwaeji???? Aigooooooo...."

Hyuna pushed some piece of meat right inside his mouth, and she laughed hard, much to his embarrassment. She watched and laughed even more as he chewed the meat like he was a very hungry being from outer space.

"Wahaha, neomu gwiyeopda (so cute)," she said as she fed him more.

"Ya, ya!" he retorted.

But he could not stop eating because Hyuna fed and fed him.

*****

It was evening, but the two of them were at the ferris wheel taking a ride in one gondola. Out of the blue, Hyuna said.

"For taking care of me and for comforting me, gomawo," she said.

She leaned on his shoulder and felt him holding her hand.

"I honestly have to say that I wish I never knew Jong Hyun," she confessed.

Jung Shin could no longer hide it so he voiced out.

"Why do you always look at Jong Hyun?" he asked her.

She looked at him, surprised at his anger. She saw fire in his eyes.

"I am jealous of Jong Hyun, do you hear?" he asked as tears fell from his eyes. "I had been here all along. Why can't you see me?"

Her eyes were opened to the truth.

"Hyuna... I accepted you for who you are. I tried to fight for my feelings, but you never gave me the chance," Jung Shin argued. "You always looked at Jong Hyun, Min Hyuk, and Yong Hwa, but most especially Jong Hyun, but you never took the time to look back at me. Do you know how much that hurts? I am pining for my bestfriend, but she is in love with someone else!"

A deafening silence followed.

"J...Jung Shin-ah..." she said.

"I... I hid the fact that I am jealous of Jong Hyun every time you go gaga over him. And I do not flirt with my fan girls because it is you that I had always liked," he confessed.

Hyuna's cheeks flushed at his revelation.

"You...you suggested that I have a makeover for Jong Hyun-sama, but you were thinking that I would rather make myself your ideal lady?"

"Aniya!!!" Jung Shin said. "I never said that, and I never thought of that! I just told you that if you will not be doing it for him, you will be doing it for yourself. I never told you to do this for me."

He held her shoulders.

"Hyuna-ya, I had always accepted you for who you are. From the dorky you to the ladylike you... you will always be my bestie, and you will always be the girl that I have loved and will continue to love."

Hyuna shook his hands away.

"You... you must have mistaken our friendly love for romantic love," she said.

Tears fell down his eyes.

"No, no... I want to take it with you to the next level," he said. "Hyuna-ya..."

She felt her chest beating like drums when he leaned forward.

"Saranghae," he whispered.

But the ferris wheel had stopped, and all the passengers got out. Jung Shin held her hand as they got out of the gondola. There was an awkward silence as the two of them went to the bus stop. Later, her bus arrived and opened its doors for passengers.

"Before you enter your bus..." he said.

He did not finish his sentence because he leaned forward and gave her a soft and gentle kiss. Hyuna felt warmth radiating from his lips that it was too good to be true.

"Jung Shin...loves me..." she thought. "I...I..."

Too bad for Hyuna, for the bus for which she was supposed to get in, left after no passenger got in.

After the kiss, Hyuna looked at her bestfriend.

"Thank you for your love," she said. "I really appreciate it."

"Mianhae," he said. "Your bus left you."

His bus also came, and opened its doors for any passengers.

"But I did not regret it," Hyuna said.

She grabbed his shirt and planted a soft kiss on his lips. The passengers of the bus flocked to the window and went into explosive nosebleeds. The driver of the bus got irritated that he drove off, as no passengers came up the bus.

After the kiss, Jung Shin and Hyuna stared at each other.

"Sorry that your bus left you," she echoed him.

He let out a soft smile contrary to his untouchable image.

"I did not regret it," he said.

Hyuna let out her pouty lips, a bit irritated that he echoed her back. He pinched her lips again like she was a duck, and she slapped his hand.

"My dwaeji is really handsome," Hyuna said. "Saranghae..."

Jung Shin felt his heart flying out of his chest that he wrapped his arms around her.

"I can now have my duck's pouty lips as much as I want," Jung Shin said. "I am so happy that you are mine."

Hyuna closed her eyes in happiness. Jong Hyun may have hurt her even with his honesty, but Jung Shin was right when he said that someone right will come for her. And that right person was him.

"I don't care if it takes long for our buses to arrive," Jung Shin said. "As long as you will have more time with me."

She could only agree and nod her head. She never knew, he never knew, that the day would come that both of them would fall in love with each other.

 

~~~~END~~~~

(up next: Jong Hyun and Karen Michelle one-shot fic)

 

~~~~