Chapter 28

[DISCONTINUED] family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi has no idea what to do anymore.

Joohyun is still holding her hand, like she needs support to even stand. Seulgi always knew seeing Wendy again would do this to her.

Even though she pretended that she didn't care and nothing happened after she saw Wendy that time at the party, Seulgi knows how Joohyun must have hid her tears again.

It's not that she's insecure. But she knows, she knows that if you see someone that mattered so much to you after a long time, you'd feel weak.

It's only natural.

She kindly offered to go someplace else, despite Yeri's constant requests. No matter how much she requests Seulgi knows this would be an awkward lunch and she doesn't want Joohyun to go through this just yet.

Just as she was about to move, Joohyun clutched her hand tighter and pulled her back. So there they are, sitting with Wendy on the same table, after 12 years.

Joohyun is sitting as far away from Wendy as possible, not leaving Seulgi's hand for one bit.

And she may be wrong but as they're ordering, she feels as though Wendy's gaze lingered a little too longer than normal on thier intertwined hands.

But Wendy wouldn't still feel the same for Joohyun, would she? Of course not.

No, no. That's not possible. Not after all these years, besides she's probably also dating Chaeyoung.

She forgets the thought, she can't feel guilty, not now.

Seulgi had just returned from work. It was already about two in the morning. She was tired and she needed her beauty sleep right now.

As she entered the front door, she heard some commotion but just waved it off, it must be her lack of sleep. She took her shoes off and reached for the couch immediately, she would just sleep on the couch rather than going inside and walking that much. Just as her heavy eyelids were about to give up,

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY SEULGI!!"

Joohyun and little Yeri come out of the kitchen as the lights turn on, literally blinding Seulgi for good 5 minutes.

It was so dumb, she almost forgot her own birthday. How does one even forget thier own birthday? And that too someone like Seulgi?

Guess time does things to you.

The sight in front of her brings a big smile on her face.

Joohyun had a huge two tier cake in her hand while little Yeri had a big knife, probably bigger than her whole hand. She was clearly struggling to hold it. Seulgi was about to scold her for being so near a harmful object, but then she remembered she was with Joohyun and that woman would never let anything harm Yeri.

Her worries evaporated as they came closer and she saw the smiles on thier faces (and also the butter knife in Yeri's hand).

"You're too late! We waited and waited!"

Yeri set the big knife on the table and Seulgi picked her up with one hand and booped her cute little nose with the other.

"I'm sorry, little princess. I had a lot of work today."

"I will forgive you today since it's your BIRTHDAY!" Yeri shouted the last part right in her ear, but Seulgi only laughed at how Yeri is more excited for her birthday than she herself is.

"Come on, we'll cut this cake." Joohyun put the cake down, with that beautiful smile still plastered on her face.

Seulgi gave her a warm smile and put Yeri down, she settled on the couch and blew the candles, only wishing for Joohyun and Yeri to always smile like this.

(Well, she also wished for alot of money and happiness for her so-called best friend who just dissapeared and left them all, but she would never admit it.)

She then cut the cake as Yeri and Joohyun excitedly scream the happy birthday song.

She cut a large bite of cake and shoved it all in Yeri's mouth, the seven year old not even complaining for a second as she devoured the whole thing. They played around a little, with Yeri running around and Seulgi catching her as Joohyun cleaned the mess they created.

"What will we do tomorrow?" Yeri yawned as she looked at Seulgi.

Seulgi pretended to think as she put her finger on her chin. "Hmmm, let's see, we'll go to Yeri's favorite restaurant and then," She stopped and glanced at Yeri who had sparkles in her eyes now. She waved her hands making a roller coaster in the air. "And then we'll go to Lotte World!"

Yeri squealed. "Yayyy! But eomma would be a scaredy cat again. And she would not go."

"Yah! Kim Yerim! Who taught you that?" Joohyun glared at the little girl as she cowered a bit.

"She only said facts though." Seulgi gave the little girl a high five, but she knew she called for death when she saw Joohyun's glare on her.

They played some more which resulted in Yeri falling asleep right on the couch. Seulgi tucked her little frame into her own bed.

When she came out she was greeted with the same big smile on Joohyun's face. Joohyun carefully took a little cake on her index finger and gently placed some on Seulgi's nose.

"Happy birthday Seulgi-yah."

She couldn't even be angry, not when her stomach was feeling different, a little pink was creeping up her face and her heart was beating a bit too fast.

But whatever this was, whatever she was feeling had got to stop, she told herself she had to stop.

That she can't look at that smile like it was hers to look at.

Time does things to you.

And time is doing this weird thing to her.


Seulgi remembers the first time she started admitting her real feelings to herself.

She remembers how she had to fight herself so much to stop feeling that way, because Joohyun was Wendy's wife (she was also a woman, Seulgi had never dated women before), well ex-wife and even if she wasn't she was sure at that time that Joohyun definitely wouldn't reciprocate and she didn't want her to.

That would just mess things up.

(But, well, look where they are now.)

--

"Unnie, promise me you won't listen to them." Yeri speaks as she eats a bite of kimchi. No matter where they're eating, kimchi is always a necessity. "Haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate." She sings while doing weird dancing movements in front of Jennie.

Jennie gives a hearty laugh.

Wendy wasn't even looking up from her plate some time back. But she chose to take little glances here and there.

She also spotted Seulgi and Joohyun's hands. It's not that Wendy has any problem with that, why would she?

But do they always hold hands like this?

Wendy waves it off, Joohyun is not hers to hold anymore and she can date whoever she wants, hold whoever she wants.

Wendy doesn't love her anymore.

Doesn't love her like 'that' anyway.

"Okay, I'll tell you a secret. But first promise me that you'll keep it a secret."

Jennie stops eating as she looks at Yeri.

"Of course, unnie. I promise." Yeri says excitedly, as she raises her hand as if to take an oath.

"Okay, but YR, this is only because you are my biggest fan on this planet." Jennie points to Yeri. Then she whispers the next words. "Unnie is coming back."

Yeri literally jumps in her chair and does a little victory dance.

Wendy can't help but crack a smile at how cute this girl is.

"Really?!" Joohyun speaks up after saying no word at all on their whole lunch. Jennie just nods as she smiles as Joohyun.

"Unnieeee! Congratulations! I swear I'll watch whatever you're in, no matter what you're playing." Yeri claps her hands gleefully, then adds as an afterthought. "Well, I always do, but that's besides the point."

"Yes, of course you'll have to, I wouldn't like it any other way." Jennie drinks some water and then surprisingly looks in Rosé's direction. "This unnie made it possible."

She looks at Rosé so lovingly that Wendy just wants to smash thier heads together at this point.

"Rosé unnie, right?" Rosé is suprised upon hearing Yeri and glances at Wendy for a second, she then nods brightly. "Thankyou so much unnie! I thank you on behalf of all of Jennie unnie's fans."

Yeri stands up and does a little bow.

Wendy spots a smile on Joohyun's face, and a smile unconsciously makes its way on her face as well.

Rosé nods her head encouragingly. "I'm just helping a bit. It's all Jennie, oh and the company." Rosé glances at Seulgi. Yeri also smiles at Seulgi and continues to eat her food.

All the others talk a bit, with Wendy just looking down all the time.

They're almost finished, at least Wendy is, she barely had any appetite after seeing Joohyun. She looks at Rosé and thankfully the younger gets the sign.

"Guys, you enjoy your meal. Uhh Wendy and I will head out now."

"But..but we have to go together after this, just stay." Jennie says with a frown on her face. Wendy feels bad for Jennie now, the girl has obviously got no clue about the awkwardness in the air.

"We...we umm we just uhh wanted to have a walk, and maybe see the place a bit. Just...just call me when you're done, okay?"

Wanted to walk?! You could've said something better chippie!

"Oh, okay."

They get up and prepare to leave.

"You both are very beautiful, unnies." Yeri says out of nowhere, she says it coyly, slightly hesitating to say 'unnies'.

Out of instinct, Wendy shakes her head and opens up. "I'm not."

Even though the words were just playful and humble, she felt Irene's gaze on her and she looks back. Staring into those eyes she's reminded of one of thier conversations.

They sat in the garden, right beside the tree which had the carving of SSW and then a poorly carved heart (made by Irene) and then BJH. It was all English letters and Wendy had to teach Irene to write them in a good handwriting, so she does not mess up. She still did though and that was why there were two cut out carvings right beside the correct one.

The carving was childish (they made it when they were 15) but Wendy liked it nonetheless. It w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter