Chapter 64: An epic cold war.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

Joohyun’s hold on Seulgi was the tightest she ever felt. In this moment, all her stress and worries pertaining to some spy maid vanished. She was just deadbeat tired from securing the inn for her stay during the night after secretly tailing Momo.

 

Miles of squatting behind trees and rocks. Miles of sneaking around to stay out of sight. Seulgi was beyond exhausted. So why does it suddenly feel like she could run from Lengxue all the way back to the Royal Palace in Zhaoyun?

 

“Hyun.” She softly murmured and delicately wrapped her arms around Joohyun, returning the hug.

 

“Seulgi?” Seungwan dropped her sword and ran up to the reuniting pair. “Seulgi, is it really you?” She scanned Seulgi from head to toe. The seventh prince was bewildered. Ever since meeting Seulgi at the age of ten, the image of the imperial guard before her had never once appeared before her eyes.

 

Seulgi lifted her head from Joohyun’s shoulder and met Seungwan’s eyes with the recognizable bear-like smile of hers. “Ogf!” In a heartbeat, she was tackled into one more hug. The prince had enveloped both Seulgi and Joohyun into another bone-crushing hug.

 

The trio had continued their reunion back at the Happiness Brothel in Lengxue.

 

Joohyun had yet to remove herself from Seulgi’s arm. “Seulgi-ah, what happened back at the Royal Palace? Father received your death certificate out of the blue. You have no idea what she was planning to do. I thought she was going to storm the capital with the army or something.”

 

Seungwan lifted her right brow, a habit she developed from the latter. “Really? It was father-in-law? Then why did Taeyong and Yeri found me in a panic, informing me that you had summon the battalions to equip this morning?” The prince crossed her arms.

 

Joohyun clicked her tongue and glared at Seungwan to keep quiet. Seulgi gave a hearty chuckle to play it off. But she knew something was different. There was some silent strife going on between the two before her. But she decided it was best not to voice it, with more important matters at hand.

 

True to Seulgi’s assumptions, Joohyun and Seungwan were indeed withstanding a cold war. The past month had been agonizing for the seventh prince and the seventh princess consort.

 

It started when Seungwan proposed a new idea for the training drills of the infantry division. After studying a decent amount of military tactic cases, the prince learned that the infantry was the division that suffered the most casualties even if the overall strategy succeeded at times. Her magnanimous heart loved all the citizens of the Li Kingdom equally. She wan’t the character to sit by idly after knowing that those in the infantry unit were risking their lives without the affirmation of return.

 

After several sleepless nights, Seungwan had put together a draft of new training drills for the division in order to decrease their mortality rates. At first, the officials at the meeting were surprised but supportive of the proposal. Until she suggested that the infantry promotion period be decreased to one year instead of two. Her proposition weakened even more when she recommended mixing the units on the battlefield. She wanted to infantry team to work with the more experienced battalions to ensure a higher survival rate.

 

An internal battle between traditionalism and progressive approaches of war. It was unfortunate that the couple had ended up on opposite sides. The disagreement led to their first and most aggressive fight of their lives.

 

“Ridiculous! Utterly ridiculous!” Joohyun dragged Seungwan by t

Please log in to read the full chapter