Chapter 43: All encounters in life are reunions after a long time apart.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

The newly wedded couple rushed towards Taeyeon like lost puppies relieved to have found their master. Although she was known as the merciless God of War General who sheds the blood of her enemies, like every other parent in the world, she can be weak-hearted especially when it comes to her eldest daughter.

 

The general was not prepared for the vigorous reunion when Joohyun launched herself in the ten pounds of ceremonial robes at her. “Ugf!” So much for the domineering entrance…

 

“Father!” Seulgi helped the two of them back on their feet.

 

“You!” Yuri had dashed forward to observe what commotion had disrupted the ceremony.

 

“You?” Taeyeon mirrored the Madame’s accusatory finger.

 

In the blink of an eye, Yuri had charged towards the general. At the sudden exchange of powerful and agile blows, the crowd of guests dispersed in a frenzy, eager to distance themselves from the unforeseen fight as they rushed to exit the mansion.

 

Taeyeon quickly pushed Joohyun into Seulgi’s arms before swerving a punch that came as fast as a leopard. 

 

After about fifty blows from each side, the combat ceased.

 

“What is the meaning of this?” Taeyeon dusted off her robes and stayed in her spot a couple feet across from Yuri. “First, you kidnap my children and then you attack me! Is there no hospitality?”

 

Yuri took a big breath. Her chest puffed out. Flames danced in her eyes. “Not for the likes of you. Do you not recall who I am?” 

 

The general looked to her children who returned her look with a shrug of their shoulders.

 

Over more than a decade on the battlefield, the general has met alleys as many as enemies. It was impossible for her to recount every single person. Taeyeon couldn’t remember but Yuri certainly could. During the seven–year–war that birthed the God of War General, Yuri was a rookie lieutenant that led the army of the opposing kingdom.

 

One of the many achievements that Taeyeon had accomplished to end the war was the very assassination incident that ruined Yuri’s romantic aspirations.  

 

“Because of you, I am to live out the rest of my years alone! You don’t understand how it feels! The reason I’m breathing…the reason I’m living, the reason I survived on the battlefield to return safe and sound.” Yuri’s voice croaked as tears fall ceaselessly. “She wants nothing to do with me anymore…do you understand what it feels like when the person your whole life revolves around is just…gone?” 

 

“I–I…” Taeyeon was bewildered. As a military officer, she was adept with talks of war and politics. Recent years of being the Head of a clan had taught her little domestic concerns since it fell solely on Miyoung’s shoulders the majority of the time.

 

Yuri’s last question struck her, not physically but sympathetically. She always had the mindset that she would depart this world before Miyoung, especially in her line of work. Being left alone was never a thought of hers.

 

The mansion was now empty of guests. The mansion staff were on standby to receive orders from their master.

 

“You two return home, we’ll discuss this t

Please log in to read the full chapter