Chapter 6: Wan–ah, I promise, I’ll make you king.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

To Joohyun’s dismay, it was a long and strenuous year. She was overworking her body in hopes of returning earlier. But she was also distressed. Seulgi’s letter has been reduced to one every month, but even in that one letter of what used to be paragraphs of her daily schedule, had turned into two lines of acknowledgment.

 

Seungwan, on the other hand, had increased her letters that came bearing bad news. Each and every letter that year addressed Seulgi’s sudden change of behavior ever since she had gotten drunk during their 16th birthday.  

 

The stars shone like salt spilled over black marble that glistened in the sun. The twinkling night sky welcomed the two dark figures that snuck off to the rooftops in the west palace.

 

It was Prince Seungwan’s birthday. The King had arranged a birthday banquet in celebration of the seventh prince turning sixteen, for which the majority of the royal family had turned up at the Yueliang Palace for. As the feast progressed through the night, Seungwan subtly excused herself and made her way towards Seulgi’s residence.

 

For it was not only Seungwan’s birthday but also that of her imperial guard. As if the heavens decided that Seulgi needed a best friend, they sent her Seungwan. The young guard had been observing Seungwan ever since she came back from patrolling the premises at the start of the banquet. Knowing what Seungwan had in mind, she had prepared bottles of wine on her rooftop for the two of them to drink away to their heart's content.

 

It was not Seulgi’s intention to spend her birthday drunk, but the conversation she had accidentally overheard earlier made her drink her sorrows away.

 

While scouting the inner courtyards of Yueliang Palace, Seulgi stumbled upon an encounter between the Grand Princess’s chief attendant Jung Sooyeon and Lady Miyoung. It was not her plan to eavesdrop, but the mention of Joohyun’s name had her lurking nearby. Crouching out of sight, she lightly pressed her head against the paper window.

 

“Whose wife?” A light high pitch voice, must be the chief attendant.

 

“Her wife.” It was no mistake, that was Lady Miyoung.

 

“She has a wife?” Chief Sooyeon questioned once more.

 

“She has a wife.” Joohyun’s mother confirmed. “His Majesty will be announcing the seventh prince’s engagement at the banquet in a bit.”

 

Seulgi leaned in closer to the paper windows. Seungwan is getting married? The prince had yet to mention this to her before.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter