Chapter 32: Climbing a tree to catch a fish.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

By the time Seulgi managed to sneak into the ion house, it had been sometime since the snakes have gathered. Jiyong sat at the head of the table. Youngbae to his right side and Suho on his left. Namjoo naturally took up her seat next to her older brother, leaving Joohyun a seat next to the right vanguard general. Each man had their arms around the courtesan seated upon their lap, asides Namjoo and Joohyun.

 

“What’s the matter?” Suho downed his fourth jar of wine. “Do none of the ladies here suit your taste as much as that slave General Youngbae had sent to your tent?”

 

“At leas–”

 

“Cut it out now you two.” Youngbae took a sip from his cup of wine. “We’re here to belatedly celebrate the promotion of our new battalion commander, not watch you two bicker.”

 

“No, of course, it is my honor sir!” Joohyun poured him a cup of wine. “I’m touched that we’re celebrating it at all. Thank you for taking good care of me!” She poured another cup and offered it to Jiyong.

 

The long night went on. Around their thirteenth round of drinks, Namjoo had already passed out. The others were tipsy, but still drinking thanks to their companions urging them on.

 

Pa! The sound of shattered teacups in the room next door interrupted the intoxicating atmosphere.

 

“More.” Youngbae drunkenly raised his cup of wine. “Serve me another jar!”

  

“Greetings officers, I would like to apologize about that incident.” Hwasa, the ion’s most desired courtesan entered with a tray of beverages. “We just took in a new girl yesterday and she’s still learning the ropes it seems.”

 

“Miss Hwasa, no need to personally make the apology trip yourself.” Jiyong shook his head and  revealed a big hyena-like smile. Hwasa was a courtesan spy that Sunyoung had sent to infiltrate the military camp and keep watch of the corrupted officers. A beauty who was lusted by all that owned a male ia in the camp.

 

Surprisingly, a day after Hwasa entered the house she was sought out by Commander Boa. It wasn’t clear what happened between them, but unless Hwasa seek them out herself, no one dared to request of her service for fear of offending someone deemed as ‘the commander’s person’. This privilege allowed Hwasa to be respected as the manager of the ion house, allowing her to easily report back to Sunyoung and the others at Happiness Brothel.

 

Imagine everyone’s shock when they witnessed how casually Joohyun and Hwasa had addressed each other when the courtesan spy accidentally spilled some wine on Joohyun’s trousers.

 

“A–are you two familiar with each other?” Suho drunkenly voiced out everyone’s thoughts.

 

“I got lost when I first arrived here and she helped me out.” Joohyun didn’t bother looking up from wiping her pants.

 

“It turns out we had met before a long time ago.” Hwasa smile

Please log in to read the full chapter