Chapter 35: Loyalty is the highest virtue under heaven.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

Although the cities of Dongqian and Fu’nan were both based in the south, the fastest route to return to the capital city was through the east city gates. That was because, compared to the south, there were more cities in the east.

 

By traveling through the cities in the east, Joohyun and Seulgi were able to replenish their energies and exchange their steeds. By the time they arrived at Yuehai, an outer city just before Zhaoyun, they were a week’s worth of travel ahead of the vanguard generals. The generals had chosen to arrive through the south city gates. With fewer cities to rest in, they relied on packed provisions and took breaks often so as to not exhaust their steeds and men.

 

“Auntie, two bowls of noodles please!” Seulgi shouted as the pair entered a restaurant.

 

“Doesn’t something feel off?” Joohyun whispered to her left. Her eyes scanned the crowded establishment. “It’s only the middle of the day, why is it so crowded?”

 

“Maybe it’s the afternoon rush?” Seulgi shrugged. She took out a white envelope from her robes and opened its contents. “Chungha sent word. They’ve made it back to Zhaoyun.”

 

During the journey back, Seulgi had explained to Joohyun about intercepting an assassination on her family back then. “Alright.” The latter wasn’t as concerned for her family as she should be. Maybe it’s because she knew her father was home to protect them. “I’m going to go check upstairs.” She stood up from their table and made her way over to the bottom of the staircase.

 

But suddenly! A chair was thrown at her from the top of the second floor. In the bat of an eye, the crowd of customers had drawn their swords at Joohyun.

 

“Watch out!” Seulgi leaped towards the stairs and hastily pulled her out of the way before the wooden furniture made impact. “Don't you have eyes? Why don't you use them correctly!” She checked on Joohyun for any injuries.

 

“You startled me more than the chair.” Joohyun stared at her dumbfoundedly. “Why are you yelling at me?”

 

“I…” Seulgi felt a warm sensation rising from her neck.

 

Their banter was cut short when the surrounding crowd attacked.

 

“Hyun–ah!” Seulgi sidestepped and swung her blade down. “How many enemies did you make up north? Why are they all trying to kill you?”

 

“Not sure.” Joohyun replied nonchalantly as she leaped from table to table, kicking and swinging her sword in every direction possible. “Too busy trying to stay alive to keep count.”

 

Despite both individuals being excellent martial artists, they were evidently outnumbered as more and more kept piling from the second floor. It didn’t help that they were running out of stamina when they had sought the restaurant out to replenish their energy in the first place.

The two ran out of the restaurant into the city. Only when they passed a clothing store and decided to cross-dress as young masters did they manage to shake the assassins off their trail.

 

Due to the change of the seasons, the winter sun had settled earlier than before. The pair had taken refuge at Black Pearl Inn.

 

“Auntie, can we get two ro–er one suite room for the night?” Seulgi changed her request at Joohyun’s glance.

 

“Of course!” The lady behind the counter eyed the young–looking lads before. “Right this way.”

 

They were led up the second floor down the left wing and shown to a large room of exquisite décor.

 

While Joohyun proceeded to settle their stuff in the room, Seulgi excused herself to the loo and dashed off to send a letter to Moonbyul.

 

“We didn’t order this much.” Joohyun looked at their table as the waiter delivered their food. A whole roasted chicken, several vegetable side dishes, and a few dessert goodies.

 

“It’s on the house.” The waiter replied. “The madame of the inn always gives more to good-looking customers.”     

 

“Please send her our thanks.” Seulgi eyed the platter of food as she returned. She froze under Joohyun’s glare as the latter closed their door.

 

Holding up her index finger, she hinted for Seulgi to wait. Joohyun grabbed the silver hairpin from the top of Seulgi’s hair knot and dipped the tip into the food, checking to see if it was poisoned. She confirmed it wasn’t after seeing t

Please log in to read the full chapter