Chapter 31: Beating and scolding is the emblem of love.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

The crowd of onlookers that had yet to disperse let loose a round of whistles. “My, my lieutenant. I did not know you were into these kinds of women.” Suho commented with pure mockery.

 

“Maybe not for a lieutenant.” Joohyun glared at the other battalion commander. “But I don’t see why a battalion commander should be limited with his taste in slaves.”

 

Youngbae let out a heavy laugh. “Well said, well said!”

 

“Sirs, please don’t misunderstand.” Joohyun saluted her fists once more. “It’s just… I refuse to accept that I couldn’t have whipped her unconscious. Please allow me to relieve my humiliation with her in private.”

 

Youngbae revealed an even brighter smile. “Don’t you worry, it seems like we have similar interests. I’ll get someone to send her to your tent this very moment.” Dragging Jiyong along, he flagged down a soldier to carry out his order.

 

When Joohyun returned to her tent, the newly promoted battalion commander was on the brink of exhaustion. But the sight of a bloodied Seulgi drained out all her fatigue.

 

“Seulgi–ah!” She lurched forward in time to catch Seulgi from rolling off her bed. “What did you get up for? Were you still planning to greet me in this state!”

 

Seulgi gave her a reassuring smile of acknowledgment as Joohyun laid her back on the bed.

 

“Take your clothes off.” Seulgi’s smile vanished. “H–huh?”

 

“Take off your clothes.” Joohyun repeated from across the room where she took out a box of medicinal ointments. “I need to clean it before we apply any medicine.”

 

Seulgi mentally scolded herself for being caught off guard by the sudden request. “Can you just cut the back open? It’s a bit difficult to move.”

 

Joohyun’s breath hitched in as she took a closer look at the wounds she inflicted. “S–Seulgi–ah…” Her hand flew to . The other hand hovering on the latter’s back.

 

Sprawled across Seulgi’s fair light back was a cascade of scars, new and old. The old scars, she sustained from protecting Seungwan, were etched into her skin like a garden of roses. Joohyun had poured out all of her energy to keep the whippings in two areas: down the left and right shoulder blades. It was to have the ointment applied easier and faster to recover. Two lines of open flesh imprinted over the older scars like the wings of a butterfly.

 

“Hyun.” Seulgi turned to see the moistening of the latter’s eyes. “It’s alright. I’m fine. Don’t blame yourself.”

 

Streaks of tears rushed down. “Seulgi–ah, I’m so sorry.” Joohyun carefully cleaned off the bloody wounds as she whispered soft apologies.

 

Just as Joohyun had finished with the thorough wiping, Seulgi turned her head back and gave the older girl a tender

Please log in to read the full chapter