Chapter 41: Dance of the Butterfly Lovers.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

​​Joohyun’s heart clashed against her head. She switched to offense to stall for time. ing and parrying, she realized that this person had been able to fend off her attacks as sounds of metallic clanging rang ceaselessly. This had to be Seulgi! There were few in the Li Kingdom that could withstand Joohyun’s sword.

 

But she needed to be certain, and she had finally thought of a way.

 

Under the pure sun–rays, amidst the floral aroma, two small figures were moving interlaced and in sweat along the courtyards of the Bae estate. Taeyeon had previously taught them a new drill. The martial artist prodigy was giving Seulgi a helping hand in successfully executing the new move.

 

“Seulgi–ah, let’s take a break. It’s too hot.” The eight-year-old Joohyun made her way over to the covered area on the side of the courtyard that had a round stone table. She poured herself a cup of water and downed two cups before checking back on Seulgi, who was continuing her practice.

 

Joohyun clicked her tongue in annoyance and made her way back to Seulgi with the pot of water in hand. Without a warning, she splashed some water onto the latter’s face. “Hyun–ah!”

 

“Break. Now.” Joohyun shoved the pot into Seulgi’s hand, making the latter drop her sword.

 

Seulgi drank the rest of the water straight from the pot before plopping down in the middle of the courtyard. Joohyun followed suit.

 

“What if I can never learn this?” Seulgi looked at her sword and then to Joohyun.

 

“That’s fine, if we’re ever in a fight, just stall for time until I get there. I’ll knock them out with this move.” Joohyun beamed her biggest smile at Seulgi.

 

Seulgi nodded, a sensation of warmth spread to hear such a reliable answer. “Then we need to come up with some kind of signal to let the other know. I’ll run to you too if you’re ever in trouble.”

 

After hours passed by, the pair had designed their own swordplay.

 

Now ten years later, they were finally able to execute it…

 

Joohyun attacked four moves forward: right slash, , left slash, horizontal cut. Then she blocked three moves from her opponent. That was because, for any wielder of the sword, the first three fundamental moves they learn was to slash left and right and then cut across horizontally.

 

To avoid the last horizontal strike, Joohyun had bent back, parallel against the ground once more. Now that she was closer to the ground, she concentrated much of her inner force into her left palm. Then she stretched out her arm so that it also laid parallel to the ground. With an aggressive grunt, she struck her palm against the concrete ground and propelled herself into mid–air!

 

Albeit still blinded she smiled in the wintry sky. The memory of her and Seulgi covered in blood and sweat while composing these moves flashed by.

 

Seulgi had said: “If one of us falls into a situation where we can’t handle our opponent, fight them in the sky! That way no matter how many people are between us I can still see where you are and rush to you.”

 

Joohyun had replied: “Good idea, we’ll probably look like condors scavenging for food since it’s a mid–air battle too. Let’s call it…the Condor Technique!”

 

Joohyun wasn’t a fan of heights, but war can change a person. She’s been at the top of the border walls more times than she could recall.

 

If either one of them had unsheathed their sword at an opponent, that meant they were fighting someone who had the intention of killing them. So no matter if they were on the ground or in the air, their opponent will follow them wherever in order to finish them off.

 

And as Joohyun predicted once she launched herself into the sky, this fourth opponent followed her in suit.

 

Once gravity greeted her and she began her descent, her blade clashed with her opponent who had leaped at her in mid–air. At this point,

Please log in to read the full chapter