Chapter 37: To challenge against the heavens and earth.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

“Mother!” A young lady rushed into the crowded chamber. Her beauty, as radiant as blooming peonies that would make the lotus flowers shy away. “Who did you–”

 

“Seola!” Yuri called out to her daughter. “Perfect timing, I’ve returned with–”

 

“Mother, please you must really stop kidnapping our customers like this. I already told you, I’m not fond of–” Seola caught sight of an ethereal beauty who stood a few feet away.

 

Joohyun pulled Seulgi further behind her. “Young Miss, please do persuade your mother. I refuse to allow my beloved to wed another.” Her voice resonated with a hint of possessiveness.

 

 “Mother, you’ve kidnapped an engaged woman?” Seola turned to her mother. “I told you I want to marry someone I’ve fallen in love with. Someone I have feelings for!”

 

“You can develop feelings after you get married.”

 

“But she’s already betrothed to someone!” Seola sided with Joohyun.

 

“Child, there are times when you must learn that not everything will go your way. Marriage is an arrangement set by your parents. It’s been that way since the ancient times. You have no say in it. Though I must admit, you’ve been spoiled on this matter for long enough.” Yuri crossed her arms. “Rarely would an engaged couple carry feelings for one another before–”

 

“We do.” Seulgi moved out from behind Joohyun. Their hands still interlocked. “I’ve had and will only give my heart to my betrothed. My feelings for her can be tested even against the heavens and earth!”

 

“S–Seulgi–ah…” Joohyun was shocked by the sudden radiance of confidence.

 

“Is that so?” Yuri eyed them with a skeptical look.

 

“Moth–” She dismissed Seola’s insistence with a flick of her finger. “Then shall we? Ryewook, go write up a contract.”

 

“This servant will right away, but what for?”

 

“We shall test to see whether they truly have had feelings for each other. If they succeed then they are free to leave.” The Madame turned her heels and proceeded towards the chamber doors. “But if they fail, this Seulgi girl shall wed my daughter.”

 

“And what if we choose not to participate?” Joohyun was getting irritated.

 

“Foolish girl, I was not born yesterday.” Yuri chuckled. “There wasn’t only sleeping drugs in the food. You’ve both taken my Lion Heart Poison. If you don’t take the antidote within five days, I’m afraid there won’t be any wedding for you to attend.”

 

“You!” Seulgi gritted her teeth. “Lies!”

 

“You can risk it for all I care. Whether I’m lying or not, you can find out after five days. The cold nights have descended. Ryewook, send Seola back to her room. I’ll discuss more about the test tomorrow.”

Please log in to read the full chapter