Chapter 53: The North Military Wolfsbane Army.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

“Ya, Kim Yerim…” Joohyun growled from beneath. “Get. Off.”

 

The similar small-stature girl hopped off. Seungwan quickly helped her wife up. Her brows scrunched together as she examined Joohyun for any injuries.

 

“Relax. She was just tackled to the ground, not stabbed on the battlefield.” Yerim stepped closer to look at Seungwan up and down. “So, this is your husband? He’s a bit…flimsy.”

 

“Yerim, manners.” Joohyun linked her arms with Seungwan. “Husband, this is Yerim. My younger sister.”

 

“S–sister! Y–your young–ger sister?” Seungwan’s eyes widen.

 

“Right? No one would believe that. If we were siblings, seems like I gotten all of Father’s good looks.” Yerim crossed her arms. “You can just call me Yeri like everyone else. Yerim is such an old name. I’m General Taeyeon’s daughter. She ba–”

 

“Yeri, Saeron’s in the infirmary again!” A soldier dragged Yeri away.

 

Seungwan’s wide eyes never closed. “Father has her own daughter?”

 

Joohyun chuckled and pulled her along for a walk amidst the crowded camp. “She’s technically her niece. She’s my younger cousin, but I practically raised her ever since I joined Wolfsbane.”

 

“How did Father find her?”

 

Joohyun released a heavy sigh. “She didn’t, they found her. Back then when we just arrived in Lengxue, a battle had already ensued outside the kingdom’s walls. She didn’t even have time to stop by the estate before making her way there. The situation at that time…it still gives me nightmares. Our people were captured by a small group of enemies who were using them as shields to barge their way into the city. It was awful, we couldn’t do anything but watch them kill the people of Li right in front of us. Fortunately, father was able to identify who their leader was and shot him to death. Out of twenty–seven hostages, she managed to save twenty–two. Yeri was one of them.”

 

“But how did father know Yeri was her niece?”

 

“Yeri was caught hostage along with her father and uncle. But only she and her uncle survived. When they were let in through the city gates, Father had recognized Uncle Kibum in a heartbeat. It had been a few decades since she last saw him, but she knew. Then when he introduced Yeri, the girls of the family had a totem on the back of their necks since birth. Yeri’s mother died in labor and her father, Uncle Jonghyun was one of the few sacrificed during the hostage. She’s clung onto my father ever since, biological or not, she’ll always be my younger sister.”

 

Seungwan patted Joohyun’s link arm. “But isn’t the army a bit dangerous for her?”

 

Joohyun chuckled. “You would think so, but sometimes I think she’s too dangerous to be kept in the army. She inherited much of her father’s medical skills. Yeri and Uncle Kibum are Wolfsbane miraculous quack doctors.”

 

Seungwan stopped in her walk, pulling Joohyun to a standstill with her. “You’re telling me… the person who just tackled you like a bull…is in charge of saving lives?”

 

Joohyun released a heavy cackle.

 

“Joohyun!”

 

The couple had mindlessly wandered into the heart of the camp. To their right was a small group of military officials, huddled together around a bonfire in front of a rather large tent.

 

“Come on, let me introduce you to everyone.” She dragged Seungwan over.

 

“Oh no, the seventh princess consort is making her way over!” One of them dropped to their knees.

 

“Where? I only see our little rabbit of a captain?” Another placed his hands over his eyebrows as if searching far and wide.

 

“Alright, alright, quit it you two.” A small figure stood up to greet them. “Your Highnesses.” He bowed. “Hopefully, the seventh princess consort still treasures our comradeship enough to join us for some drinks?”

 

“Ai, Kyungsoo who do you take me for?” Joohyun untangled herself from Seungwan and wrapped an arm around Kyungsoo’s neck. “Do I look like someone from those ignorant high and mighty families? And you two, get your over here!” She ran at the two who had . The three ending up running in circles around the group.

 

“Your Highness, this subject is named Kyungsoo.” He bowed to Seungwan once more.

 

Seungwan smiled and returned his greeting. “No need for the courtesy. This isn’t the Royal Palace, just call me Seungwan. I’m sure Joohyun would like to see that too.”

 

Kyungsoo released a sigh of relief. He thought: maybe this prince isn’t as bad as they make him out to be. “Here, let me make the introductions, since it seems that the captain is…busy.”

 

According to Kyungsoo, this group was Joohyun’s most close-knit people. Kyungsoo was a military strategist. He specialized in formation combat. Chen was another military strategist who specialized in technique placement. He was taller but not that tall, Seungwan compared as he shook her hand.

 

“These two are the Deputy Generals.”

 

<
Please log in to read the full chapter