Chapter 25: How much you reap, how much you sow.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

“Watch your steps! These boxes are worth more than your life!” Joohyun had been fussy all day. It was the day of the illegal transaction. She was entrusted by Song Mino to oversee that today went smoothly. The manor was swarming with contract workers hired to transfer heavy wooden chests in and out of the residence.

 

“Don’t you think she’s taking the role a bit too serious?” Lisa whispered to Rose. They were watching her from their positions at the residence gates. 

 

“Hush you two.” Jisoo joined them and handed each a steamed bun. “She’s been stressed about tonight’s plan.”

 

Jisoo was the mysterious figure that had delivered Joohyun’s secret message that night. “Where’s Nini?”

 

“The miss wanted to be accompanied to the market this morning.” Rose held back a laugh as she remembered the intense round of rock paper scissors they had experienced this morning. Miss Song Qian had taken the loser with her.

 

“Let’s hope she makes it back in time for the storm.” Jisoo released a deep sigh, the others followed suit.

 

They all witnessed Miss Joohyun’s back–bending efforts to mingle into the Song family the recent weeks. The plan for tonight was when they reap what they sowed. The five of them had gathered evidence, from letters and bribes to any secret documents hidden around the residence, in order to reveal the awful truth of Okeydokey Brothel.

 

Once Song Mino started the gathering, Joohyun and the others were to switch out the chest boxes of gift offerings from the Song family. Under the compartment of silvers, were actually those kidnapped from the brothel! But there were over tens of boxes. Joohyun hoped Seulgi was able to decipher her message and send for help to Happiness Brothel.

 

Just as they managed to unload the last chest box, a patrol guard wandered into the area. “Young Master Lau? What ar–”

 

Out of panic, Lisa threw a dagger at his throat to silence him. But the sound of his body falling backward against the concrete floor drew the attention of the rest of the patrolmen, and the sudden flock of men in the courtyard caught Song Mino’s eye as well as his crowd.

 

“Brother Lau, what is the meaning of this?” Song Mino had Joohyun surrounded.

 

“Brother Song, it is never too late to repent for your wrongdoings.” This was it. If these men walked out of here freely tonight, there would be no end to the vicious cycle of human trafficking. “Come with me to the magistrate’s office and confess your crimes.”

 

A wave of laughter roared through the courtyard.

 

“Brother Lau, did you drink something weird tonight.” Song Mino sauntered over to her, stopping a few paces in front. “Was making you the assistant manager not enough? Should I make you the head manager then?”

 

Joohyun gritted her teeth as the smell of intoxication invaded her nose. “Your horrible sins will end tonight.”

 

“Is that what you think?” Song Mino turned to look at his guests. “I, on the other hand, think that assistant manager Lau has gotten greedy and attempted to run away with the brothel’s money. Due to the guilt of betraying his close friend, young master Song, he committed suicide.” Another incidental case of murder!

 

A flood of laughter rang through the starless night.

 

“Kill him.” Song Mino ordered. He took one last look at Joohyun and walked his guests back inside.

 

Thump.

 

Just as a guard swung his blade towards Joohyun, an arrow whistled through the air right past Song Mino’s ear before lodging itself into the guard. In an instant, a few clad in black poured into the yard, forming a wall between Joohyun and Song Mino’s men.

 

“You…” Song Mino locked eyes with Joohyu

Please log in to read the full chapter