Chapter 24: A day of sorrow can be longer than a month of joy.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

Joohyun placed her hand on the paper door before her. The barrier separating Seulgi from her. “Drunken for a Thousand Years.” Her eyes reddening. 

 

She’s here. Seulgi came. Never before would Seulgi ever play such an intimate song for anyone other than Joohyun. Seulgi was sending her a message: Seulgi came for her.

 

Taking a deep breath, Joohyun backed away. She dabbed the corners of her eyes with the edge of her sleeves. It was not the best time. After weeks of blood and sweat, did she manage to discover the secrets of Okeydokey Brothel. She couldn’t let all the hard work go to waste and blow her cover at such a crucial moment.

 

When she made her way back to the meeting room, she flagged down a server and demanded: “Go deliver a bowl of tangyuan to the one performing the guzheng in the Black Room. A token of appreciation for sharing such a spectacular piece.”

 

As ordered, a serving of tangyuan awaited Seulgi as she returned to her seat. She kept her voice pleasant and calm when asked who it was from. Her expression remained normal when they informed her of the brothel’s assistant manager's token of appreciation. But her heartbeat had gone out of pace.

 

She had waited for Joohyun’s presence into the wee hours of the morning but could only mask her disappointment as she descended into the lobby of the brothel. Chorong had agreed to meet her in the corner near the entrance of the brothel once they completed their task.

 

But when the morning sun greeted the calls of the rooster, Seulgi rushed back to Happiness Brothel. “Chorong’s gone!”

 

“What!” Bomi leaped out of a chair situated in the wing room. “What do you mean she’s gone? I led the guarding team all night!” She paced back and forth. “There were no movements of the Song family in or out of the building.” Bomi was restless.

 

“Then it must mean she’s still somewhere in the brothel.” Naeun looked from Bomi to Seulgi. “Seulgi, was sh– did you see Miss Joohyun last night?”

 

“Ye–no.” Seulgi crossed her arms. “No, I didn’t see her. But she was there, she received my message. I’m sure of it.”

 

Seulgi informed the others that Joohyun must’ve snuck into the brothel and somehow become the assistant manager.

 

“Alright, let me go have a little talk with her.” Bomi walked over to a wooden chest and grabbed her sword. “She should know where Rongrongie is.”

 

“Stop it.” Naeun’s voice sliced through the tension of the room. “What do you plan to do? Just waddle your way in there and randomly bring up how you know they’re a human trafficking syndicate?”

 

“Well then what else!” Bomi exploded. “We’re wasting time. She might be taken away at this very moment!”

 

“Bomi…” Seulgi sympathized with her. “I know… I understand how you feel.”

 

“Do you?” There was no stop to Bomi’s rise of temper. “Do you really!”

 

Please log in to read the full chapter