Treasure of Life

Treasure of Life

“It's raining today” Gui Gui said as she sits by her window looking out into the rainy day. “And tomorrow is Wang Zi's birthday.”

Knock! Knock!

“Come in” Gui Gui said as she turns around.

“Gui Gui” Aaron said as he opens the door. “Aunt Tsai told me to come get you for breakfast” he smiles.

“Oh~ Thanks” she said and smiled at Aaron. “I'll be down in a bit.”

“Okay, don't let me wait too long, I’m starving!”

“Okay, okay,” she replies.

“Hurry” he said and quickly and closed the door.

Gui Gui laughs to herself.

“Are you coming down now?” he pokes his head back in.

“No,” Gui Gui replies.

He closes the door and opens it again.

“What about now?”

“No.”

“Now?”

“No.”

“Now?”

“No.”

“N-”

Bam! Aaron closes the door quickly as he saw a pillow flying at him.

“He can be so annoying” Gui Gui said to herself, and then smiles.

“Now?!” Aaron ask and opens the door again.

“Yes now!” Gui Gui said and got up from her chair and ran after him as he closes the door.

“You're dead meat!” Gui Gui said as she closes her door behind her.

“Xiao Jie” one of the maid said as she saw Gui Gui coming out of her room.

“Yes?” Gui Gui answers.

“You have a visitor” she said.

“Really?” Gui Gui said surprised. “Who?”

Aaron pokes his head out from his room and saw Gui Gui walking down with the maid.

~

“Mei Mei!” Gui Gui yells as she ran down the stairs and hugs the girl waiting for her by the bottom of the stairs.

“Gui Gui!” Mei Mei said hugging her back.

“How are you? Wow! You've gotten so much prettier!” Gui Gui said with teary eyes as she looks at Mei Mei.

“I'm fine, how about you? You've gotten so much thinner” Mei Mei said looking at Gui Gui too.

Gui Gui smiles and wipes her tears away, “Let's go sit” she said as they head to the living room. “So, why are you here? Aren't you suppose to be in England?”

From the top of the stairs Aaron watch as they walk away.

“My parents finally lets me come back” Mei Mei said happily. “After so long...I really miss home.”

“Finally huh” Gui Gui laughs. “How are your parents?”

“Doing well” Mei Mei answers.

“That's good.”

“How's my brother?” Mei Mei ask Gui Gui.

“You haven't went to see him yet?” Gui Gui ask.

“No, I came to see you first, because you're the person that I’m most worried about.”

“Why?” Gui Gui gave her a look.

“Because you're the person that loves him most.”

Gui Gui showed her a small smile.

“Can you company me to go see him?” Mei Mei ask Gui Gui.

“Sure” Gui Gui answers. “Wait for me, I’m going to go get my bag” Gui Gui said and walks up the stairs to her room.

“Aaron, I’m going to the hospital with Mei Mei,” Gui Gui said as she walks pass Aaron by the staircase.

“I heard” he said quietly.

Hearing his quiet voice she had a feeling that he was hurt, and it made her not want to go.

“Do you want to come along?” she ask.

“No thanks” he smiles. “It seems like you and your friend haven't seen each other for the longest time, so I don't want to be the third wheel.”

Gui Gui laughs, “Third wheel? We're not going on a date.”

“Oh-”

“Gui Gui are you ready?” Mei Mei said as she walks up the stairs and saw them. “Uh~ sorry for the interruption” she said quickly and was about to leave.

“Hey, where are you going? Let me introduce you two” Gui Gui said quickly as she went and hooks her arm around Mei Mei.

“Mei Mei, this is Aaron, my friend” Gui Gui introduces. “Aaron this is Jie Qi, but you can just call her Mei Mei, she's Wang Zi's younger sister.”

“Nice to meet you” Aaron smiles at Mei Mei.

“Hi” Mei Mei replies with a shy smile.

“Will you be okay home alone?” Gui Gui ask Aaron.

“Um, don't worry” Aaron said. “And it's not like it's my first time staying home by myself with the maids.”

“Yeah and remember what happened that time you stayed home alone with the maids?” Gui Gui gave him a look.

“Uh~you two should get going” he changes the subject.

“Remember you're grounded from the piano room” Gui Gui whispers to him.

“I know, I know, I’ll be a good boy” he said back.

“You better be” she said and walks down with Mei Mei.

At the top of the stairs Aaron waved to them.

“Be safe girls” he said.

Mei Mei turned around and waved back at him happily.

As Mei Mei turns back around Gui Gui turns back and gave Aaron another look. The look told him that if he goes into the piano room, she'll come and kill him.

He smiles nervously back as he still waves at them.

They went out the door and he heads back to his room.

- - - - -

“Gui Gui you said that his name is Aaron?” Mei Mei said as they waited for the bus to come.

“Um.”

“He's so handsome!” she said excitedly. “How did you two meet? Why is he staying at your house?”

“Long story” Gui Gui said.

“Tell me, tell me, I want to know” she said standing really really close to Gui Gui.

“Uh~ well...” Gui Gui said as she steps away from Mei Mei. “Okay...We met at the hospital...”

~

“I see” Mei Mei said with a serious tone as they reached the hospital. “Do you like him?” she ask her.

“HUH?” Gui Gui said surprised at her question.

“Do you like him? Do you like Aaron?” Mei Mei ask her with a serious face.

Gui Gui looks at her and then looks away.

“Of course I like him, he's my friend” she answers.

“Not like him like that, like him more than a friend.”

“...oh~ we're here” Gui Gui said as they stand in front of Wang Zi's room.

Mei Mei turns to look at the door and saw her brother's name on the door. She totally forgot about Aaron and Gui Gui.

Tears started to run down her face. She slowly reached her hand for the door knob and turns it. Mei Mei pushed the door opens and walks in with Gui Gui following her.

Her tears became uncontrollable when she saw her brother laying on the hospital bed. Mei Mei walks over and sat next to the bed.

“Ge...” her voice trembles.

Gui Gui took a deep breath trying to hold in her tears too. She smiles and walks back out closing the door behind her. It was time the siblings reunite again.

- - - - - -

Gui Gui walks around the hospital as she waits for the reunion to get done. After an hour she walks back to Wang Zi's room and Mei Mei was standing outside drying her tears.

“Are you okay?” Gui Gui ask.

Mei Mei nodded and hugs Gui Gui crying again. “Thank you, thank so much” Mei Mei said.

Gui Gui smiles and rubs Mei Mei's back.

~

“I feel so ashamed to come see him” Mei Mei said after she had finally calmed down.

“It's not you're fault” Gui Gui said trying to comfort her. “You were still young, and had to leave with your parents...so don't blame yourself.”

“Gui Gui” Mei Mei said as dries her tears again. She took a sip of her cold drink Gui Gui got for her from the vending machine then sets it down on the table and looks at Gui Gui.

“You like that Aaron guy don't you?” she ask “ No, I know that you like that Aaron guy” she said looking directly at Gui Gui. “You hesitated to answer my question, and just by looking at how you look and talk with him I know that you like him, and I meant like him more than a friend. Gui Gui, I’m sure that you know that too” Mei Mei said.

Gui Gui was speechless. She was still hesitating about her own feelings. But at the same time Mei Mei was right, she was slowly moving away from Wang Zi. 

“I can't believe you're doing this to my brother!” she yells at Gui Gui as she began to cry again.

People around them looks at them strangely.

“How could you like another person when you're still dating another?! Gui Gui this is call cheating! Two timing!” Mei Mei said angrily.

“I-”

“Don't even say a word” Mei Mei cuts her off. “I'm so disappointed in you, Wang Zi loves you so much, I can't believe that you would turn away from him like this. I thought that you love him dearly and truly too, but I guess I was wrong to think of you that way” Mei Mei said angrier.

Gui Gui looks at her still unspeakable. She knew that she was wrong to like Aaron while she was still dating Wang Zi, but she was unable to speak up and explain her feelings to Mei Mei. Even if she explains it to her, she was still wrong. It was just wasn't right to like Aaron when she is still Wang Zi's girlfriend.

Mei Mei took another drink from her cold drink and sets it down.

“That was my role of being his sister” she said calmly now. “As his sister I’m angry that you're slowly starting to drift away from Wang Zi, but now that I’m done with that role, I can be myself, and in my opinion, I’m happy for you.”

Gui Gui was now confused.

“Sorry for my rudeness a minute ago” Mei Mei said and smiles at Gui Gui. “Gui Gui, actually I came back to celebrate my brother's birthday, but most importantly I came back to tell you that, I think it's time you move on with you life.”

Gui Gui looks at her surprised at what she just told her.

“Gui Gui, I think that it's time for you to move on. Stop waiting for Wang Zi, maybe he'll never come back,” she said looking at Gui Gui sincerely. “I know it's wrong of me to say this and to even think this way, but it might be true...maybe Wang Zi will never come back. And for the pass few years you're life has been revolving around my brother, and because of that you've gotten nowhere. Gui Gui you can't just stop at a place in your life for your whole life, sometimes it's just best that you move on” Mei Mei said and smiles. “And I’m okay with it, because you've done you're best.”

- - - - - -

Gui Gui didn't sleep that whole night, she thought about Mei Mei's words over and over again.

“Maybe it is time that I move on” she said quietly to herself.
 

 

 

 

 

****

updated. =D