NINE

The Apprentices: Exchanged (HIATUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

FIRST DESTINATION

 

“Where am I?” Baekhyun questioned as he finds himself in a field that seems very familiar to him. There are kids running around the field and were circling the tree of life, happily chasing each other.

He’s back in Aurelia.

Baekhyun frowned as he watched them play. Is this another dream again? Laughter and delightful screams filled the field as they play but then he saw the only girl in the group of children fell on the ground, scraping her right knee on the process.

Baekhyun automatically find himself running towards her, wanting to help her as he saw her crying.

But he came into a halt when he saw someone else had helped before he could even reach her. One of her friend he assumes, a boy.

He watched silently as the boy pulled her up, wiping her tears away. Trying to cheer her up, he cracked a joke to make the girl giggle in which she did and immediately stopped crying.

Baekhyun found himself smiling at their innocent interaction, it is cute but then suddenly the vision blurred in front of him. Confused, he tried to rub his eyes with his hands to gain his vision back and when he did

He is not watching two children anymore. Replacing them at the spot was two adults, fighting over something he assumed judging from the girl’s expression.

The girl was facing him from a far and he could only see the guy’s back as they quarrel.

Baekhyun watched as he tried to make out the words that is coming out of the girl’s mouth but he still can’t hear them properly. He flinched as he saw the girl punching the guy’s chest, pushing him away

Unfair

It’s not fair

Those two words kept on being mentioned by both parties but the other sentences came as a blur.

“Why am I here?” Baekhyun asked himself as he watched them fight, getting more intense every second.

Then something happened, the scene skipped to the part where the girl was lying on the ground motionless.

His eyes widened and before he could react any further, he finds himself being waken up.

Baekhyun let out a gasp, trying to catch his breath as he looked at his surroundings. He finds Yixing and Sehun stared at him worriedly while the rest was still asleep at the bridge’s floor in their sleeping bag

“You okay?” Yixing asked as Sehun gave him a bottle of water to calm himself down. Baekhyun didn’t answer immediately, he took the water bottle to gulp down the water.

After he finished quenching his thirst, he wipes his mouth with his sleeves. “I’m starting to think that these are not normal dreams” He said, voice cracking since it’s in the morning

“No sh*t” Sehun stated as he stood up to stretch. “It’s been five years since you’re like this Baek, it can’t be a coincidence”

Baekhyun could never understand what his dreams are about. The first time he dreamt was snippets of the tree of life.

There were also scenes of the same children and adults— he only realized that they were the same people after 3 years but it always centres around the two couple as they appear much more than the others.

But the thing is, he doesn’t know any of them. None of their faces are familiar, although he couldn’t recall whether he had ever saw the main guy’s face before. Although it’s not the same case with the main girl, he had seen her too much that he could probably describe her features perfectly to an artist to draw her in real life.

Long, light wavy hair with fair skin and eyes that resembles like a cat’s eye, but big. He could go on like he actually knew her for all his life, but he doesn’t. It’s weird.

The dreams don’t happen frequently, if it does then he could already decode it by now but since it rarely appears he does not know what it meant.

So he decided ignore them.

Yixing nodded in agreement and patted his back gently, “What is it about this time?”

Baekhyun sighed and shook his head, gripping a fist full of his own hair before soothing it out to look presentable. “Kids running around the tree of life then one couple fighting”

He answered vaguely, he never fully described his dreams. It was too non sensical for him.

He stood up as well to join Sehun in stretching before heading out to the deck. “That don’t make sense at all” Yixing stated and Baekhyun chuckled

“Exactly”, he said as he carefully walked out without stepping on his friends who were still sleeping but failed when the last guy suddenly moved his leg

He shouted in pain and Baekhyun crouched down to pat the man’s leg that he accidentally stepped on. “Sorry”

Chanyeol glared at him and sit up to push him away. Baekhyun just laughed on the floor before standing back up, exiting the bridge loudly.

Back in the cabin, Aecha is still sleeping soundly but it was until she heard loud laughter and curses from upstairs, at the bridge. She woke up groggily and sat up, strands of her short hair sticking on her neck due to the hot weather.

She quickly reached out to the table next to her to check her phone for the time, it’s around 8 in the morning. She blankly stared at the door, eyes still half-open

Then she heard rapid knocks on the door. “Are you awake?” She heard Kyungsoo said behind the door.

“Yes” She answered sleepily without thinking, and the door opened a bit as he peeked in to make sure it’s okay to come in. “Can I come in?”

Aecha nodded and squinted her eyes when the door opened widely as the sunlight came shining directly on her. Behind Kyungsoo was Sehun, who looks very uncomfortable

“He needs to use the toilet” Kyungsoo said before letting the youngest in. Sehun quickly went to the one and only bathroom in the ship after greeting good morning to Aecha.

She quickly got out of bed, approaching the door to get outside but was stopped when Kyungsoo let out a small laugh, grabbing onto her arm.

“You might want to fix your hair first” He said, pointing to her bed hair while trying not to laugh

Aecha’s hands find itself on her head, fingers combing her hair as she gave Kyungsoo an annoyed stare. His gaze suddenly changed to a soft one, “The deck isn’t as hot as inside, come outside when you’re done”. With that he left with the door opened

Before going outside, she went to the small mirror dangling on the wall to fix her hair until it looks decent and she was about to search for her hair tie in her pockets when suddenly the door to the bathroom opened.

Through the mirror, she could see Sehun coming out while zipping his pants up.

Well

She immediately rushed outside before Sehun could even realize that she saw that. She didn’t see anything that she’s not supposed to see but still, it was awkward.

She went out without looking what is in front of her and almost stumbles across a firm chest if it’s not for his arms stopping her, grabbing her before she could even crash.

“Woah, what’s with the rush?” Kyungsoo asked her and she immediately stepped away. Aecha shook her head, “Nothing, it’s too stuffy in there” she mumbled and walked away towards the railings.

Kyungsoo raised his eyebrows and turned his head toward the cabin and saw Sehun exiting, still fumbling with the front zip of his pants. He rolled his eyes at the male’s carelessness. Now that they have a female tagging along, he made a mental note to tell the rest to watch their behaviours later.

Leaning forward the railings, Aecha stares at the view while basking in the sun. It’s beautiful out here with the blue sea water sparkling due to sunlight. It is undoubtedly hot but it’s better than the cabin.

“She’s not here yet”

She heard Kai mumbled to himself as he approached the end of the deck— to railings where Aecha is currently standing. Kai stands beside her and she stares at him cautiously.

Feeling the stares, Kai turned his head to stare back at her and tsk-ed. “I’m okay, I’m in my right mind right now. I won’t dive in so stop staring at me like that” He said in one breath and Aecha just shrugged her shoulders in reply.

Not long after that, from a far they could see something emerging from the surface of the water gracefully. They could see a blue-golden tail appear through the water before her head popped out.

“Good morning!” The hybrid greeted them cheerfully and lift up her right hand to wave at them, accidentally splashing sea water towards the ones near her at the ship.

Them being Aecha and Kai. The male didn’t seem to mind as he wiped away the water while waving back with a smile while Aecha scrunched her nose in annoyance as the sea water went to .

“Oh? She’s here already, great!” Suho suddenly chimed from behind as he came down from the bridge. The sooner they start moving, the sooner they reach land.

The hybrid smiled at him and nodded in acknowledgement. “Where to?” She asked.

“Odana, do you know where their dock is?”

The hybrid nodded. “It’s not far off but it will still take around..” She trailed off, eyes darting upwards to the side as she estimated the time to reach.” 3 to 4 hours?” She told them.

“And you’re going to swim your way there just to guide us?” Aecha questioned her with wide eyes. “Wouldn’t that be too tiring?”.

The hybrid then chuckled, “I brought my friend with me, no worries”.

With that, the whole ship went on guard. Friend? Another siren? She suddenly sang a few notes out of the blue and they ones on the deck was ready to be on defence mode when suddenly something else popped out. A dolphin

They all let out a breath of relief. The hybrid then smiled fondly at the dolphin as she patted its head. “Sort of like a transportation like your ship, but alive and cuter”

Suho chuckled in relief, one hand on his chest to calm his heart. “Lead the way”

 

 

They had difficulty at the beginning to catch up with the hybrid and her dolphin— not that she was going too fast. It’s because Yixing and Xiumin was being too careful in using their power to move the ship.

It was either they were going too fast or too slow. Xiumin almost made another huge wave in the process but successfully stopped it half-way. That’s one thing he have learnt, to know when to and how to stop but he was nowhere near to knowing how to control his power

Yixing on the other hand did a pretty good job in controlling and stopping but the thing is, his wind is too weak to even move the ship. He had used up too much of his power the day before to save their lives so Suho had told him to take it easy but he still insist on helping. Typical Yixing.

A 3 to 4 hours journey became an hour later than its expected time but nevertheless, they have arrived to their first destination.

Odana, the continent with the most population out of all. The place where everything is up to date, from fashion to technologies— it is where things usually gets created and followed by the other continents. Trendsetters, geniuses, celebrities, you name it. Most of them resides in Odana.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter