THIRTEEN

The Apprentices: Exchanged (HIATUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

THE OTHER ONE

 

“Morning... hey you okay?” Aecha asked with worry when she saw a dishevelled looking Suho whom opened the door she just knocked.

The man clearly didn’t have enough sleep last night, hence the heavy eyebags and squinted eyes.

“Yeah, totally” He said with a big yawn, stretching his arms excessively until he accidentally knocked his knuckles on the door frame. He let out a yelp and quickly ease his now-red hands.

“What time did you guys sleep?” She asked with a frown.

She had left them early to get some rest, just two hours into the heated conversation slash brainstorming for future plans and she’s out. She was too tired to stay and listen, hence excusing herself to sleep in the middle of their discussion.

“4 in the morning”

“Ah, no wonder. I thought you’ve forgotten to bring me out for breakfast”

“It’s almost afternoon?” Suho’s eyes widened and Aecha nodded.

That’s their daily routine, Aecha would always go out with some of the guys to buy breakfast before heading out to train but seems like today can be an exception.

He fell into silence and Aecha chuckled, “It’s alright, can we just rest today? We’ve been training nonstop this week.” She tried to reason out, not just because she’s still feeling drained but it seems like the guys needed the rest too.

“I don’t think the guys have the mood to train today anyways..” he agreed and let out another yawn before rushing back into his room without closing the door.

It is open wide.

Aecha blinked and tilted her head to the side. Is she supposed to come in or..

Pursing her lips into a thin line, she turns around to go back to her room instead of just standing in the hallway. She can’t just enter his room either, it’s awkward.

Since his room is almost at the end of the hallway and hers the first, she took her time walking towards her room just in case he called her.

And just like she expected, her name is called from inside his room. She quickly hummed to give Suho a signal that she heard him and turned back.

He came out of the room with a couple 10 dollar notes in his hands and gave it to her. “Xiumin is up. He always wakes up early, you should ask him to go with you-“

“Can’t I go alone?” Aecha frowned, expressing dislike about the fact that she’s paired up with the flirt. He shook his head and said, “It’s dangerous.. hold on”

Without letting her complain much further, he called out the eldest from where he’s standing and not long after that Xiumin came out.

Upon seeing Aecha he lifted his hand, two fingers up giving her a salute as a greeting— not failing to wink that is.

She sighed and her shoulder slumped, feeling dejected. Suho, not being aware of this quickly pats her arm before going back to his room to probably continue his sleep.

“Okay Elcha, let’s go”

 

 

Surprisingly, the trip went better than she expected. Although he did throw a couple of flirty glances and grins, he did not do anything that made her uncomfortable.

Although the new nickname he gave her did annoy her but it’s better than those cheesy nicknames he used to give her.

“Why do you keep calling me that?” Aecha asked, arms folded in front of her as she leaned back on the restaurant’s chair.
They’re currently waiting for their order to finish.

Xiumin raised his eyebrows, “Elcha?”

She nods.

“Elsa plus Aecha. Elsa because you’re ice cold whenever you use your power”

She can’t help but roll her eyes, but the corners of her lips lifted because it’s that silly. He’s kind of lame, oh wow.

They both sat across each other, none of them talking as they wait. Xiumin got his phone in his hands, probably playing a game judging from his rapid finger movement and Aecha was facing the wall.

She should’ve picked the seat he is sitting on, at least it’s facing the television in which he doesn’t even watch as he preferred his little screen better.

Feeling bored, she adjusted the way she sits just to face the television. It’s going to take a while for the workers to finish cooking their orders as they ordered a lot.

After feeling comfortable, she leaned her left arm on the back of the seat as she watches the television.

She gave it her full focus as it displayed ‘breaking news’. It’s a news channel again.

Aecha frowned, is that what they usually show in restaurants or is it just their luck to have to coincidentally watch it every time they’re out?

The news anchors started off by greeting the viewers, carried on with the highlights before telling each news in full.

The first news caught her attention. It is about the missing girl again.

‘Just in, daughters of Odana’s leader— Mr.Kang are both found missing. Kang Yina, the older twin has been missing for a few days is yet to be found and another report has claimed that her other twin is missing as well. Kang Inna’s last whereabouts are told to be at her own room. The day she went missing, her window was wide open and is suspected to be kidnapped-‘

Suddenly Xiumin’s phone dropped to the table, creating a loud bang and Aecha flinched due to the noise.

Her head automatically turned and saw Xiumin’s focus is now all on the television as well, eyebrows knitted together as his expression turns unreadable.

‘Is he okay..’, Aecha asked herself as she stares at him. The man then let out a small sigh before removing his eyes from the television and was startled when he met her eyes.

They both stared at each other without talking, wondering what is going on in each other’s mind.

Xiumin’s eyes wavered from the staring competition and he blinked, looking away while clearing his voice. He returned his attention to his phone, absentmindedly tapping on the screen.

Aecha on the other hand is still staring at him, without knowing how uncomfortable it felt for him.

“Okay, what is it? Why are you staring?” He then bursted, giving her a frustrated look. Aecha leaned back, sinking in her seat. This is the first time she ever sees Xiumin being serious. She quickly gave him a shake in the head and looked away.

“What did they tell you?” He asked with a frown and Aecha pursed her lips into a thin line, contemplating whether she should tell him about all that she knows regarding the matter.

Should she tell him that she’s aware that he had a fiancee?

“Only until the part where you left her at the alter- well yeah that”

Xiumin poked the inside of his cheek with his tongue, clearly irritated that they had bring that up to her.

“That’s all that they know of so you’ve heard it all from them”

Aecha nodded slowly, don’t know how to react any further. Chanyeol did tell her that Xiumin didn’t tell anyone the full story so it’s best to not dig any further.

They fell into silence once again but this time, it’s suffocating but fortunately, the orders have arrived as the waiter approached their table to give it.

Xiumin thanked them and stood up, Aecha followed and was about to carry some boxes of chicken but it was quickly snatched by him.

“I’ll carry it don’t worry, you can carry the drinks” he said and Aecha nodded.

Once they head out, they’re immediately greeted by a gush of wind. The previously bright sky turned gloomy as well.

It’s about to rain.

“Ah, I didn’t bring any umbrellas with me..” He muttered and turned around, “Did you-“

“I didn’t too” Aecha replied while frowning, staring at the sky that is covered with dark clouds.

It was really sunny that both of them didn’t even expect that it’s going to rain.

“We better head back quickly before it rains”

And on cue, droplets of water started to fall from the sky making the guy curse.

“This better be nature and not man-made” He grumbled as he lightly jogged forward.

The motel is a 15 minutes’ walk from where they are, they could probably make it if they’re fast enough to run through the light shower— if the rain turns into a heavy downpour, they might have to stop by at a sheltered place to avoid the food to get soaked.

In which it did.

A few minutes later, the rain falls heavily which left them no choice but to seek shelter at a narrow space in between two buildings, just a few blocks from the motel.

“Hello? Yeah we were on our way but it started to rain heavily- what no! Do you want to eat soggy chicken?” Xiumin rolled his eyes as he talks with the others on the phone. Aecha stayed quiet as she stares at him

“We might have to stay here for a while unless one of you could bring umbrellas to us- which i doubt because of your lazy asses”

Aecha chuckled and turned her head towards the front. There were people running everywhere, already soaking wet as they tried to seek shelter but none of them came into the space they were in as it was already narrow enough.

Aecha is already leaning on the wall but if she took two steps forward, their knees will be touching each other. That’s how small the place is

“No I can’t manipulate the rain Suho” Xiumin sighed, “You want me to manipulate the droplets of water? That sounds hard- fine. I’ll try”

He quickly taps the end button and put his phone in the front pocket of his jeans. He then took a step forward and gave Aecha the food he was carrying.

“I’m sorry for making you hold this but just for a moment?” He asked and gave her a sheepish smile. Aecha quickly took it and asked, “Where are you going?”

Xiumin faced the main road and said, “Trying to water bend the rain, Suho said I can make the droplets avoid us— not sure if it’s possible for me to do but I can try”

He stared at the sky as the rain falls heavily to the ground.

Focus on the droplets and imagine them stopping, don’t lose focus

Suho briefly explained to him over the phone. Truthfully speaking, he’s not confident but it won’t hurt to try

“Here goes nothing” he muttered, eyes focusing on the sky and the rain. He lifted his right hand, out from the shelter so that he could see whether the rain will avoid him.

He began to chant ‘stop stop stop’ in his mind but no matter how hard he tried, it just won’t avoid him. He got a soaked arm instead.

Feeling deje

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter