SIXTEEN

The Apprentices: Exchanged (HIATUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

ALLIES (Preparation, part III)

“Drop your weapons and put your hands in the air, now!”

They are currently surrounded by peacekeepers; fully armed with weapons that could disable one from using their powers and vests that could protect themselves from any potential lethal powers.

It’s weird to see them again, especially in a group. Inna thought that all of them had left their jobs after the war broke out.

Or maybe they came back for this sole reason, her father probably called them for help and offered a lot of money.

Although the number is small, compared to the number of peacekeepers before the war that  happened 5 years ago— it is still enough to outnumber them.

They weren’t afraid nevertheless, they could easily escape these guys with the apprentices’ card and their powers but the thing is, will the peacekeepers recognize them?

The apprentices couldn’t see anyone familiar that they knew from the peacekeepers. Actually, the only one who is familiar with them is only Lee Donghae and that was by accident.

As apprentices, they had to keep on low profiles to avoid any potential harm towards them and will only be introduced to the public when they finished the training.

They didn’t unfortunately, hence they weren’t introduced properly and their identity still remains unknown— only some knew.

Which is why they are being seen as an enemy instead in this situation.

“Did you call for them? Secretly?” Xiumin asked Inna, his hard stare has shaken her up. His eyes are full of betrayal once again and she shook her head.

“I didn’t!“ Inna exclaimed behind him, her eyes widening.

“Then how did they manage to find us here?” He hissed and Inna winced, heart aching at his sharp tone. She sighed and pushed him away, letting herself go from his grip.

Clicks of weapon could be heard in unison and the apprentices heightened up their defence, ready to attack and escape.

“You know I can just explain to them, right? You don’t have to be mean.. don’t follow me.” Inna muttered and walked away from him, towards the peacekeepers before he could even reply.

The leader of the peacekeeper stepped out with some of the troop, sprinting towards Inna to keep her safe but then their sprint halted halfway when they realized none of the apprentices has yet to make a move— none of them even look like they planned to.

“Order your goons to put away their weapons, they are harmless” Inna said firmly and the leader frowned, eyeing the apprentices warily before hesitantly speak into his device to convey the order.

Almost instantly, one by one the peacekeepers let down their weapons— murmurs of confusion hit the air.

Inna stared at the leader’s helmet, not sure where to look at when talking. Sensing her hesitation, the leader took his helmet off and recognition dawned her face.

“How did you find me, Leeteuk?” Inna asked him and he ignored her question.

“Miss, your father has ordered us to take you back home.”

“I know that, but how did you find me?” Inna asked again, her eyes scanning through the gates and then she saw a familiar car. “He’s here?”

Leeteuk tilted his head, not sure which question he should answer first so he settled with the latest first. “He’s in the car.” He nodded and continued, “We had some help from your twin’s circle”

“Oh”, Inna muttered. Then she saw the door opened, she quickly glanced back at Xiumin nervously.

Xiumin on the other hand began to tense when he saw the man who stepped out of the car; it was his almost father-in-law. He lowered his gaze as he bowed when the man approached them.

Inna could see her father’s nose flaring and she could feel already feel that he’s going to explode soon. His eyes were fixed onto Xiumin as he marched forward with his both fist tight.

Before anything could happen, Inna immediately hugged her father and said, “I’m alright father, don’t hurt them. They’re not my kidnappers— they saved me”, she said shakily but still, her voice can be heard clearly.

Her father immediately calmed down, pushing her slightly off him by her shoulder before looking at her face.

His eyebrows knitted together in worry, “Are you hurt anywhere?”. Inna immediately shook her head and he sighed in relief, “Thank goodness. Your mother and I were so worried”.

Inna is pulled into a hug again, the top of her head being kissed as she rests her chin onto her father’s shoulder, finally feeling safe. Nothing feels better than this, being in the arms of someone that has been protecting and loving you ever since you were little.

In front of her, she could see Yina’s circle of friends approaching them as well— they came out from the peacekeeper’s van.

A voice cleared from behind, Inna’s heart dropped a little bit when she recognized the voice was Xiumin’s.

“Sir, I’m sorry that we couldn’t return her earlier. We were planning to when we find..”, Xiumin trailed off awkwardly, his eyes flickering back and forth from Inna to her father.

Mr. Kang’s expression hardened before continuing his sentence, “your ex-fiancee?”

Inna winced at the title and gripped her father’s arms tightly, indirectly telling him to go a bit lenient on him. Xiumin gave him a small smile, albeit awkwardly as a reply and nodded.

Suddenly, more footsteps could be heard from behind and all of them turn towards the direction.

Four girls were running to them with worried expression and when they arrived, one of them immediately asked, “How about Yina?”

Once again, Inna can’t deny on how lucky Yina is for having friends that truly cares about her. She couldn’t help but felt jealous but she quickly threw that feeling away.

“We still don’t know where she is, unfortunately.” Suho told them, walking towards them with the rest of the apprentices following behind.

“Oh no”, Soojung cried out, her lips quivering. Victoria pulled her by her shoulder and patted the sides of her arm, her eyes tearing up as well with the thought that their best friend is still out there.

Inna stared at the group of four and her gaze landed on the last girl, Amber. She was scanning the area, Inna could feel that she was using her powers from the vibes that was radiating around her.

“You managed to locate me?” Inna asked softly and Amber turned her head to her.

Amber blinked, a bit taken aback that Inna somehow remembers what her powers were and she nodded. “I tried locating both of you ever since the news broke out but I couldn’t see anything. Somehow, I could see where you were just recently and immediately contacted your father”

“The red force must’ve have a spell caster with them to hide their location.” Kyungsoo butted in and the whole area (except the apprentices and the two girls) froze.

Mr. Kang’s eyes widened, “The red force?” He exclaimed in shock and his hand flew to his chest where his heart was. Inna looked at him with worry and soothe his back to calm him down.

After years of trying to fix Odana, regulating new rules to make the people conform to the orders again he has developed a lot of stress and has possibilities of having heart attacks.

“Father, calm down”, Inna plead, “it’s not good for your health”. Upon hearing this, Kyungsoo bit his lips in guilt. He gave Inna a sorry smile and Inna shook her head, telling him it’s okay. He didn’t know anyway.

Leeteuk, whom was previously talking to the rest of the peacekeepers came back to the group. “Sir”, he started and Mr. Kang looked at him, “we have found fractions of this area being destroyed. This could be a hint-“

Chanyeol interrupted him and raised his hand up awkwardly to be formal, “Oh, that was us. We were training before you guys came in”

Leeteuk frowned and shifted his gaze back and forth from the area to the apprentices warily, “Just what type of powers do you have actually that can cause this type of destruction?”

The apprentices kept silent, even the two girls did. They stared at each other, contemplating whether they should reveal their identities or not. It could be risky as well— if words come out that the apprentices are alive, it will cause stirs among the people of Elyxion.

They could easily be spotted; the red force could also trace them by the talks of the town.

But then again, no one knows what they look like, as long as there are no pictures of them that exists.

“Apprentices, that’s what they are”, Mr.Kang informed the peacekeepers before they could themselves.

 

 

They are now gathered in Mr. Kang’s home— they wouldn’t call it as a home to be precise. It’s a mansion but without the extravagant decorations. It looks quite humble in the inside and homey.

Once again, some of them find themselves sitting on a round table as they discuss their plans on how to find and save Kang Yina.

Mr. Kang himself is forced to rest and is banned from entering the room by Inna, her mother agrees and locked him in a room (not literally). It is for his own good.

Only some of the peacekeepers joined them in the discussion— Leeteuk, Heechul and Siwon. As far as they know, they used to be the one who make strategies during their time as peacekeepers.

Suho is obviously at the table, Yixing and Kyungsoo as well. The rest of the group is huddled at the corner of the room, Yina’s group of friends included.

“Still nothing?” Luna asked Amber, the latter shook her head. “I still can’t trace her” she said in frustration and ran both her hands through her hair, messing it up.

Inna sighed and tugged her ponytail i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter