FOURTEEN

The Apprentices: Exchanged (HIATUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

PREPARATION (PART I)

Inna

I opened my eyes when I felt the sunlight blazing through the closed curtain but that’s not the only thing that had woken me up.

The sound of something dropping on the carpeted floor did.

Squinting my eyes, I saw Aecha crouching down while staring at me. Her eyes went round when she realized she had woken me up.

“Did I wake you up? I’m sorry” she apologized with a whisper and gave me a sorry smile.

I quickly sat up from the bed— Aecha was kind enough to give up hers while she slept on the floor even though I refused.

“You should’ve woken me up too” I told her with a hoarse voice as I rubbed my eyes sleepily.

She’s dropping things in the dark while getting ready to go out it seems.

Aecha quickly retrieved the hair comb she just dropped and stood up, combing her wet short hair in hurry. “You look drained yesterday so I figured you need more rest Inna”

I ignored her and got out of the bed to open the curtains, “Where are you going?” I asked and when the curtain opened, we both let out a small shriek because of the sudden burst of light into the room.

We both then let out a chuckle and she replied, “Going out to buy breakfast, do you want anything in particular?”

I shake my head as I look out of the window, watching the view. People are hustling through the streets, some being busy to get to work and some just walking around with friends as they joke around.

It is the perfect weather to enjoy the day but sadly I couldn’t relate. Sadness clouded my face as I think of Yina.

I hope she’s doing fine.

“Hey, we’ll find her okay? Soon but surely” Aecha then mentioned, realising that I became quiet all of a sudden and I turned around to give her a small smile.

“It’s just.. she really hates it when people tell her to do things that she doesn’t want to do. I’m afraid that with her being stubborn, they’ll hurt her” I told her my concern with a worried expression and she stares at me silently, not knowing what to say.

I continued, “Thank you for letting me use the bed. You didn’t have to since I was the one who crashed in”

She raised both her hands to dismiss it, “It’s okay really, you need it more than I do-“

Suddenly, there’s a soft knock on the door— interrupting me and both of us looked at the closed door.

“Coming!” Aecha shouted and gave me a short wave, “I’ll come back soon, are you sure you don’t need anything?” She asked again as she opened the door, revealing Kyungsoo who greeted both of us a good morning with a smile.

I replied back to him with a smile and told her, “I’ll eat anything you buy, I’m not picky.. do you have any hairbands?” I said and asked, feeling uncomfortable with my hair down. It’s probably looking like a bird nest by now after all that toss and turns from the night before.

Aecha nodded, and quickly pointed at the dresser, “It’s in one of the drawers”

I muttered a quick thank you before taking one. I don’t like my hair to be everywhere, it’s a hassle, hence the reason why I usually put it in a tight ponytail.

“The rest of the guys will still be here if you need anything, don’t be shy and just knock on one of the doors. All rooms in this hallway is occupied by us”

And with that she left... but without closing the door.

I’m still at the other side of the room near the window and I stared at the door. Should I leave it open or?

I bit my lips and stared at the other door in front of the room I’m currently in. If somebody decides to come out, they could literally see the whole room since the door is opened wide. That would be awkward..

I sighed and walked towards the door. I need to take a shower anyways— and again, Aecha is being a great help as she has lent me her clothes since I could see a set of it lying on a table near the bathroom.

I reached the door and was about to close it, but then I heard another door being opened then closed.

Curious, I peeked out and saw Xiumin walking from the end of the hallway. My heart did a little flip and I froze when he met my eyes.

I quickly straightened out my posture and gave him a smile, “Good morning” I said softly and he just replied with a nod before walking pass by me in a quick pace.

No smile and no replies, he didn’t even look at me.

My smile faded as I stared at his back, he breaks into a light jog to catch up with Aecha and Kyungsoo— who were already making their way out to the motel. He gave Kyungsoo a light push for not waiting for him and the trio laughed as they exit.

I sighed and went back in, closing the door. Did he just ignored me or is he in hurry that can’t even afford to greet me back? 

I leaned my back against the door, my eyebrows furrowing as I question his behaviour

He changed.

Or is he just feeling guilty that he left Yina at the altar? Is that why he won’t talk to me? Because he’s feeling awkward too?

I shake my head and walked towards the bathroom. Let’s not think about that, you have too many to think about already, Inna.

They came back not long after that, it only took them less than an hour when Aecha opened the door. I was again, by the window to stare outside as I had nothing else to do. It is the only source of entertainment

I turned around and saw her calling me to come out.

“Breakfast next door, come” She told me, her thumb pointing to her right side and I hurriedly approached her.

“You guys usually gather to eat?” I asked her as we make our way to the room where everyone is gathered. Aecha nods and chuckled, “It gets chaotic but it’s fun to see them acting like children fighting over food”

I glanced at her and wondered, how long has it been since she joined them? She seemed comfortable with them, especially with Kyungsoo; or maybe it’s because they’re a thing?

Aecha went in the room first, I followed closely behind her. Greets from the others are heard as we enter and she automatically finds her usual spot, beside Kyungsoo of course.

There was no space for me to sit beside her so I awkwardly stood as I looked for one. “Where should I sit?” I asked in a small voice and Suho scooted over to his left to make space before patting the ground.

Giving him a smile, I sat down. On my other side is Chanyeol, who is currently stealing foods from Sehun’s plate.

I stared at the food in the middle, we were sitting in a circle like always and I gapped. “For how many portions did you guys buy?”

It seriously looks like it could feed us the whole day but judging from how half of the portion is already eaten, I find myself being amazed at how much they could eat.

“Twice the number, most of us here are pigs especially those three” Sehun snorted and tilted his chin up, pointing to a group of trios that were sitting together— Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Kai.

Baekhyun squinted his eyes and raised his chopsticks up as he tries to defend himself, “We only eat twice a day, with extreme training in between don’t blame it on us”

The other two didn’t even bother to defend themselves as they ate.

“Help yourself” Yixing offered and I nodded, muttering a quick ‘I’ll eat well’ before putting some on my plate.

But then I froze, blinking as I find myself hard to breathe suddenly.

Xiumin is sitting right in front of me, our eyes met for a brief second. He looked away, shifting his gaze back to his plate and I frowned.

What’s up with him?

I shook the thoughts away and continued to stack food until the empty plate is half-filled.

“We’re heading out to practice after this- all of us are going. You don’t have a choice but to come as well..” Yixing explained with a sorry smile and continued, “We can’t leave you here alone”

I nodded, understanding what he meant. It is probably for the best because they might be looking for me by now.

“We will talk about the rescue plan later when we reach the training camp” Suho added on and I suddenly remembered the thing I’ve been meaning to asked them since yesterday’s dinner.

“Am I restricted to make any contacts with anyone?”

“Pardon?”

I poked my food with the fork as I elaborate, “Do you guys need extra help? I think my father could provide some-“

“Are you doubting our abilities?” Kai asked with a offended face and I immediately dropped the fork, making a loud clang when it reached the plate.

“No no no,” I said immediately with a flushed face.

I didn’t mean it like that! I’m pretty sure they could do it on their own but.. for extra precautions right?

I wanted to explain but somehow the words won’t come out of my throat. The sentence kept of jumbling up in my head.

In the end, I decided leave it just like that. This is why I can’t hang out with too many people, I get flustered.

I sighed and picked back the fork from my plate, poking a piece of meat before popping it into my mouth.

“I get what you’re trying to say Inna,” Kyungsoo then said and I raised my head up to look at him. He continued, “but we don’t want anyone else to get involved. This is the red force we are talking about and it’s our duty to protect the people”

I frowned and pointed out, “Isn’t that what my father does for a living too? I remember him being under you guys in terms of work-“

“He was, but only for keeping Odana in order. To keep the people away from trouble, to lead the people and he could only protect them from crimes within the continent, not the whole Elyxion”

“So are you saying that whatever my twin and I are involved in are much more than that?” I asked with a whisper, fear taking over as I soon come to realized that the situation we are in is more complex, more dangerous.

They all gave me a hesitant nod, “We are dealing with the enemy of Elyxion, this involves the whole planet.. in which we are in charge of”

I suddenly felt lightheaded and I could hear my heartbeat going faster and faster. Never in my life I have ever gotten into any trouble, this being the first and it is already the most dangerous one yet.

 

 

“Should we split up on the day itself?” Sehun asked loudly before they start their practice. They are now gathered together in the middle of the field and are planning to attack each other as practice.

They are now done with the mentor-student phase because they all pretty much have a knack on how to control their new power’s decently.

“We should— wait do we include the girls too?” Kyungsoo asked as he glanced behind him, Aecha and Inna are sitting on the ground a few metres away but they could still hear whatever they are discussing.

Aecha shot her arms up, “I’m joining! I don’t want to stay and be a damsel in distress while you guys fight. I’m not a princess nor a warrior but my powers can be of use”

Kyungsoo in particular didn’t like that idea but she’s right, they might need an extra hand since they are already here.

Aecha pats off the grass from her pants and turns to Inna, who is still sitting on the ground with round eyes. “Come on, I’ll teach you to fight”, she offered her hand and Inna just stared at it before giving her a fear-stricken face

“I can’t fight! I don’t even like talking to people let alone fight-“

“Me neither..” Aecha cuts her sentence and shrugged her shoulders. “I was a closed off person back then before meeting them.. funny how one month can change a person” She smiled and glanced at the group of guys.

Inna stares at her before sighing, reaching her hand to be pulled upwards to a standing position.

Never in her life she’d ever thought of being involved in things like this but then who would’ve have known the red force was planning to attack after decades of calm and peace?

Here she is now.

Aecha dragged her to the group to join their discussion.

“On the day itself we will split into 4 groups, each with 3 members. Make sure the one with existing pairs stays together because no doubt, theirs will be stronger than the one who doesn’t have their other half”

That is another fact that the apprentices have realized during their one month of training. While the ones who doesn’t belong in a pair are drained to the core after each training, the ones that has a pair could still go on.

Xiumin (Water) and Sehun (Frost); Kai (Strength) and Kyungsoo (Thunder) could go on and on since they have each other to recharge their powers.

The one’s without pairs will have to recharge themselves but it will take time.

“Group 1 will be Xiumin, Yixing and Sehun. Group 2: Baekhyun, Chen and Inna”

That goes without questions because Baekhyun, being the one without powers made him twice as vulnerable hence why Chen should be with him in case anything happens; he could heal him. Besides, they were supposed to be pairs if Baekhyun did have his powers.

“Group 3: Chanyeol, Aecha and I..“ Suho was about to continue when Kai suddenly interrupted, “Kyungsoo an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter