EIGHT

The Apprentices: Exchanged (HIATUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CREATURES OF THE SEA

 

It was almost midnight by that time when they heard the song. The whole ship went quiet, listening attentively as their eyes search for anything that floats upon the surface of the sea but they found none. None in sight, they could only hear them as the singing grows louder.

 

Tree that gleams and glow,

Let your power shine,

 

They all look each other but none of them dared to speak, eyes full of confusion. It is until they heard the sound of movement through the sea, one by one they could see them-- heads starting to emerge from the sea surface and moving towards the ship.

Turning around quickly to face them as she stares at the guys with worried eyes, “Keep the ship going, I’ll keep a look out.” Aecha demanded. As much as she dislikes them, the idea of them drowning and disappear is still not the best way to get away from them.

Problems after problems have appeared and to think that it’s only the beginning, it makes them not want to think about what is waiting for them as they go.

The siren’s cove.

That is what they call it. Not only Elyxion is home to people who possesses powers, mythical creatures are also living in the planet although they’re always out of eye sight.

They have heard many rumours about the creatures of the sea, from siren sightings to missing men of Satia— no one knows exactly what happened to them. Those who are taken, no one has lived or even returned to tell the tale.

But for those who has successfully returned to their land can end up in two possible outcomes.

Firstly, if the person has heard the song from start to finish but managed to escape, they will be remained haunted by the song and will return to the sea in less than a week. Secondly, they can be saved if they can ignore the song before it finishes but not a lot made it out with the second choice.

Ever since, sailors have always avoided sailing in this infamous area. Only those who got lost are the unfortunate ones- which makes them one of them.

They just started their journey, they can’t lose each other right in the beginning!

 

Make the clock reverse,

Bring back what once was mine.

 

They turned their heads towards the pitch-black sea where the sirens are as the song continues— even the moon couldn’t help them see what’s out there on the sea.

“Where did they come from?” Baekhyun whispered in horror, trying his best to shake the song out of his head. It was being sung in the most haunting way, with every note being hit in the right places. There’s not only one of them, they figured.

He asked that as if they weren’t the one who intruded their territory.

The song gets louder every second. If they waste more time, it will be the end of them. “I said go!” Aecha said again loudly as she started to push the guys away from the edges of the ship.

They started to have their ears plugged using their fingers. Suho and Yixing, along with Sehun rushed back to the bridge, trying to move the ship away from the siren’s cove using the wind.

It has been automatically decided without it being planned as Yixing has better control and better chance of not creating chaos like earlier.

 

Heal what has been hurt,

Change the fate’s design

 

“Don’t listen to the song fully!” Chen shouted as he quickly dragged and pushed the people near to him to the cabin. Baekhyun, who was already half-dazed has snapped out of his trance as Chen pushed him harshly, Chanyeol right behind them as he sang to another song loudly to distract himself.

Aecha kept looking for where the song came from. Heads turning in every direction, she leaned towards the railing and successfully spotted some of them.

“1, 2, 3..” she continued to count with eyebrows furrowed. Being the only girl in the ship, she won’t be affected by the song unless there are male sirens around— which there’s none because she would be dazed by now if there is any.

“Sh*t there’s many of them!” She shouted and grabbed the nearest lantern. She pointed it out to have a clearer view.

8 heads were floating on the surface of the sea as they continued their acapella.

Chen are still gathering the remaining people to the cabin, ears already plugged in with an earpiece. Music was heard in full volume as his eyes searched for the others.

“Hurry!” Chen shouted as he saw Kyungsoo dragging Xiumin—who was already tranced, almost lured by the song. The earlier too, is humming to himself as he tries all his might to drag the older one with him.

 

Save what has been lost,

Bring back what once was mine..

 

Baekhyun whom was already in the cabin quickly helped him and pulled Xiumin by his jacket. They all crowded the radio that is blasting a random song in full volume.

Snapping out of his trance with the help of the others, Xiumin gained back his consciousness and was deeply confused on why he was in-front of the radio. Chen who has his phone with him, quickly typed out to inform him ‘The song is almost over, Aecha will call us when the coast is clear.

Back at the deck, Aecha still has her eyes on the sirens. Should I scare them away with the souls? , She thought tiredly. She had already tire herself from all those callings, not to mention that she had summon 3 at once during the last time she was in Satia.

“The sail!” She then heard Sehun shouted from the bridge and she quickly made her way towards the boom, changing the direction of the sail to match the wind.

The ship starts to move again, away from the sirens but they kept on following them. Faster, she thought to herself as her heart drummed fast in her chest in panic.

Moving back to the deck, Aecha waited as the sirens finish singing their song. If the rumours they heard back in Satia is correct, there is only one line left unsung.

 

What once was mine

 

Aecha braced herself as the song stopped, praying that all of them will make it out alive. As the boat moves, her eyes stayed glued to the sirens who were still staring at their ship unmoving.

“Please don’t follow”, she prayed to herself as she makes herself ready to summon more souls if they did. Thankfully, they didn’t.

She turned her head towards the bridge and saw Suho, Yixing and Sehun successfully sailing the ship without any problem. They seem to be okay judging from their serious expression

She then went to the cabin quickly to check on the others and opened the door, music flowing out of the room. They were still sitting and standing, surrounding the radio and she had to shout on top of her lungs to notify them that it’s over.

The volume is immediately turned down. “Is everyone alright?” She asked them and they all nodded. Thank goodness.

Baekhyun chuckled bitterly, “Gosh I feel so ing helpless, we can’t even fight them how pathetic is that?”. The rest stayed quiet, signalling that they agree on his statement. If they were to fight them with their power, everyone is at risk because the accident earlier almost cost their lives. They can’t fight them through combat either, they were in the sea to begin with— out of reach.

Xiumin rubs his temple in distress, “I almost got lured, my head hurts”. Chanyeol pats his back to comfort him as he turns to Kyungsoo. “It’s a good thing you dragged his here”

Aecha stood silently as she stares at 5 of them in the room. She furrowed her eyebrows, is it just her or is something just felt.. missing?

Then something in her head has clicked, flashback of a guy giving her bread and patting her head.

He’s not there.

She frowned, “Is Kai at the bridge?” She asked them and they all shrugged their shoulders. As soon as she received their answers, a huge splash was heard near the deck. They all turned their heads towards the cabin door.

Aecha quickly went out with them following behind her. The other apprentices from the bridge coming out of their spots as well at the same spot as soon as they heard the splash.

“What was that?” Chen asked as he leaned towards the railing, eyes searching for the cause of the noise. “They didn’t do anything to our ship, did they?” Suho asked loudly as he came down the bridge.

Aecha scanned the people coming out of the bridge with her eyes quickly. There’s only 3 of them. “Kai is not with you?” Aecha asked the guys who were previously at the bridge and they gave her a confused face.

Oh no, her eyes widened in realization. How could they miss his absence! Could it be that he was standing at a part where the lanterns couldn’t reach? It was to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter