FIFTEEN

The Apprentices: Exchanged (HIATUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

BITTER TRUTH (Preparation, part II)

 

“I feel like I’m a character in a manhwa, this can’t be real” Baekhyun muttered with his hands on his head, gently tugging on his hair like a mad man. The fact that he was sitting on the ground makes him look more pitiful to look at.

His eyes kept staring at the kitten that is innocently chasing some sort of grasshopper just a few meters away— funny how Eri managed to burn the lower part of a tree not long ago now it’s acting all cute again.

Such a little monster it is.

The rest of the group is staring at the kitten in disbelief as well, not knowing what to say. This is so far one of the most weirdest thing they’ve ever witness.

“Well, that’s probably why I don’t feel tired yet” Chen broke the silence, telling the others that his link with Baekhyun isn’t gone after all.. but wait.

Does that make him a pair with Baekhyun or the cat?

Chen let out a bewildered look and pointed at the animal with full offense, “Don’t tell me that I’m paired with a kitten because I can’t take care of it all the damn time!”

Baekhyun may be patient with it but not him, he’s not the type that can take care of animals. No way.

The others joined Baekhyun on the ground, all sitting in a deformed circle.

“No, I think your other half is Baekhyun”. Yixing stated and scratched his head, his mind trying to think of a reason how it’s possible. Chen quickly thanked the sky upon hearing that.

It could be because of Yixing’s doing, he was the one who extracted Baekhyun’s power and transferred it into a cat. He might’ve have not transferred it fully since they were in a rush back then.

“I’m confused, why am I still his pair even without the power?” Baekhyun asked and Yixing shrugged his shoulder.

“What matters is that you could still use your powers, let’s not question why this is happening because I don’t have the exact answer.”

Baekhyun closed his eyes and he rubbed his temple. It is great to know that he could use his power but imagine fighting with a kitten in his hand.

Very manly.

But really, no one would take him seriously if that’s the case.

“This is giving me a headache” Suho said as he planted his face on his palm, staying like that for a while before taking a deep breath.

He then turned to Aecha, “Think you could summon one of the guardians again? Or is that too tiring for you right now?” He asked, not failing to consider how she’s feeling because the last time she did it, they almost thought that she’s dying.

Aecha gave him a slow nod and tilted her head to the side. “I can try-“ her sentence then got cut by Kyungsoo, “The last time you did that, I almost burnt myself by staying near the fire while supporting you” he said and Aecha grimaced, her eyes narrowing at him.

He was about to continue but she shook her head, talking first before he could.

“You didn’t have to do that.. I’m not sure if it’s a common thing for us necromancer to be that cold but I can tell you for sure that fire is not really necessary” Aecha pointed out, reassure him and the group.

She could actually feel the coldness radiating from her body immediately when she stopped using her power, it shocked her as well. It’s the kind of coldness you’d get from a corpse.

But it’s kind of common logic, her soul was wandering in the underworld for almost half an hour in search of the guardians; that’s almost like dying except that she’s not.

It’s just that her soul is temporarily separated from her body.

Kyungsoo sighed and continued, “I’m not done talking, I’m not worried about the fire Aecha. I’m worried about you, how are you sure that you won’t get lost in the underworld and leave permanently?”

Aecha blinked, feeling her heart skip a beat when he said he’s worried that she’ll leave him— them. She bit back her smile and replied, “I won’t. There’s a string that connects my soul to my body, I won’t get lost. I’ll always find my way back”

She told him and he finally gave a nod, giving her a relieved smile. Someone beside him scoffed and teased, “You’re being mushy at the wrong time”

Kyungsoo gave Baekhyun a light slap without looking at him and the latter yelped in pain.

Aecha simply ignored Baekhyun’s comment. She knew her face went red and to avoid being called out, she immediately told the others that she’s going to start.

“Don’t try to wake me up too, I could hear you all last time but I’m too far in to give up.” She warned them before closing her eyes, letting herself in the underworld to summon one of the guardian.

The air is suddenly filled with silence, all attention on her the minute she said it.

Then moved again, “Don’t expect me to come sooner too, stop staring” Aecha continued, giving a small smile that immediately faded when she finally enters the gates of the underworld.

Kyungsoo suddenly moved closer to her, placing the back of his hand on her cheek. He then nodded and turned back to the others, “She’s gone- I mean, out”

Some of them snickered when they saw Kyungsoo making a skinship with her, it’s not really necessary for him to touch her cheeks— maybe it’s just him wanting to.

“Whipped” Chanyeol mouthed to Kyungsoo and immediately hid behind Sehun when the guy approached him with a blank face. He’s going to get hit but it’s worth it.

Inna, who is quietly observing from behind is experiencing chills when she saw Aecha’s face turns pale. She then rub her arms in order to somehow stop the goose bumps she’s having.

Someone then chuckled and she turns her head to the side, Sehun raising one eyebrow at her. “Scared?”

“Not really but.. this is my first time meeting a necromancer. It’s fascinating in an eerie way” She muttered, her eyes automatically went back to Aecha as she continues to rub her arms.

Sehun then continued to stare at her with hawk eyes, Inna could see him staring through the corner of her eyes. She could be wrong, he might be staring at the person near her too but then when she decides to take a quick look

He is indeed staring at her.

Inna stared back, eyes full of questions when she saw Sehun tilted his head to the side as he scans her.

“You know, I’ve never know how to differentiate you and your twin”

That came out randomly out of nowhere and it somehow gathered the attention of others, they too let out sounds of agreements. Except for one person.

Xiumin on the far end felt a tug on his heart and he shifted his attention to avoid the subject before he’s tempted to spill something, but that doesn’t mean he’s not listening.

He is.

Inna hesitated, not knowing how to reply to Sehun’s statement. Is she supposed to tell him their differences or is he just telling her that can’t differentiate them?

“We do look very similar, it’s hard for everyone except our parents” She answered slowly, waiting for Sehun’s reaction. The youngest didn’t say anything after that but another guy did.

“I’ve met both of you at the same time and you really do look very similar, like a carbon copy” Chanyeol stated to confirm her answer and she nodded.

“The only way people can differentiate us is when they see our powers and personality” Inna finally answers, earning ‘oh’s from a few.

“You have different personalities?” Chen asked and Inna nodded. “The complete opposite in fact. I think it’s because of our powers and the way people treats us as we grow up” She answered, her voice getting smaller when she reach her last sentence.

Even though she didn’t elaborate further, they have understood what she meant. Of course she would be the one who’s being kept in the shadows because of her power.

Kai then snapped his finger and asked, “I know this sounds cliché but have you guys ever did a twin switch?”

That question suddenly threw Inna aback and her face suddenly paled— not as pale as Aecha though. She could feel her heart pacing and she gulped, “N- no”.

Inna heard someone scoff and she turned her head to the person who did it. She froze when her eyes landed on him.

Xiumin.

His eyes is now on her, corners of his lips twitching as he raised one of his eyebrow. “Liar”, he simply said out of the blue and Inna’s face paled.

‘Does he.. know? All this time?’ she thought to herself, her blood running cold as she think of the possibility that he does.

She broke the eye contact between them and before anyone could question what Xiumin meant, she replied, “Okay maybe a few times when we were kids.”

“During what occasion?”

“Whenever people had mistaken us for one another, we didn’t have the guts to tell that they got the wrong twin just to save themselves from embarrassment.. and it’s fun” Inna answered calmly, just so that Xiumin’s statement can somehow be buried but the oldest just can’t let it go.

“How about when you’re adults?” Xiumin then asked and Inna bit her lips. He knows, he really does.

The other guys, sensing the tension between them went pin-drop silent. Their gaze went back and forth between the two of them.

What exactly happened between them three?

Inna’s gaze fell to the floor as she tried to answer, “Don’t be ridiculous, that’s too childish-“

“But you both still did it anyway” Xiumin deadpanned, his eyes still on Inna even though the girl avoids meeting his eyes. In the end, she let out a sigh and glared at him.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about”

Xiumin chuckled, his tone however remains anything but friendly as crossed his arms. “Tell me, how many times have I met the actual Kang Yina?”

“What do you even mean by that?” She defended herself, louder this time as they are sitting far from each other. “Ofcourse every time you meet her”

“Don’t ing lie Inna, I know it was you”

And again, Inna’s heart dropped when he said that out loud. Xiumin’s ears is all red, his eyebrows almost meeting at the centre as he frowned.

“It was you all the time wasn’t it? Only the first meeting and during the week of the wedding itself, she showed up. Where the hell did she go between those intervals?” He asked loudly, standing up and Inna did the same out of fear.

Her feet stepping backwards when she saw him approaching her slowly. Some of the guys stood up as well, grabbing Xiumin to calm him down.

“It’s not the right time to do this..”, Yixing told him and Xiumin snapped back at him, “I wasn’t going to but too bad right? Kai already brought it up.”

Kai immediately gave Inna an apologetic look, feeling bad that it has come to this way. They could’ve solved this on their own, not like this. Everyone is here and they’re in the middle of a potential meeting with the guardians too.

“How did you find out?” Inna braved herself to ask the question. It was too late to cover it up now. The truth is revealed.

“The day before the wedding” He answered angrily. “It’s funny how just a small thing can make me realize. We were making a final check at the wedding venue and Yina showed up with her hair, fully down”

Inna frowned and before she could ask, Xiumin continued, “I asked her why she had her hair down when she hates it and you know what she replied?”

Inna’s eyes widened and she mentally cursed herself. How could she be so careless? It is the next thing that people could use to differentiate them if they notice!

“She said she hates it when her hair is up.. it makes her face look round” Inna answered, her hand going up to her own ponytail.

She might’ve told him unconsciously that she loves tying her hair in a ponytail during one of the days when she posed as Yina. 

She can’t believe that he remembers such a small detail and caught on so quickly. Inna hates it when her hair gets in her way while Yina loves it when her hair is down.

“I actually dismissed the thought because I could be wrong, you only told me once about it but then I overheard both of you talking about it in her room on the day itself”

It was the time when Yina was making her final touch up, getting ready for her big day that she’s not really anticipating. 

Xiumin happened to walked into the room unnoticed when Yina was thanking her twin, I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter